Quantcast

Toyota supercar, the LF-A

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
Yeah dude, a concept car is projected to weigh blah blah blah. That means nothing in the north American market. Wait till it has 18 airbags, door beams, daytime running lights, traction control, hybrid drive, remote hatch lifts, xenon powered sudden infant death detectors, automatic golf score updating systems, etc. etc. and all the rest of the junk they put in cars nowadays, and THEN tell me it costs less and weighs less and performs as well.
Have you actually seen the specs of the concept?

Length: 163.78"
Width: 69.29"
Height: 49.6"
Wheelbase: 101.18"

That's 20" shorter than the Genesis Coupe, 4" narrower, 5" lower roof line and 10" shorter wheelbase. It's really in a completely different class...

(if it works)

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
354lb-ft of torque from a V10 is silly. if these cars had the grunt of a nice American OHV engine (GM LS engines for example,) then they would be sick

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Same here. I guess I will just have to keep looking for another car to spend $500,000 on.
Maybe I'm just a cheap bastard, but if I am dropping $500k, I think it should perform well AND look nice.

I actually like it, but I am un-American like that.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Torque is not the be all and end all of an engine. That's why God created transmissions...
trannys make up for it with CVT's, flappy paddle gear boxes, 8 gears and two clutches....nothing beats torque...especially good ol' American low-end torque

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Maybe I'm just a cheap bastard, but if I am dropping $500k, I think it should perform well AND look nice.

I actually like it, but I am un-American like that.
My point was people on this board arguing the merits of half million dollar supercars is like people on a star wars board discussing the advantages of a bow fighter over an x-wing: ridiculous because we will never be driving them.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
My point was people on this board arguing the merits of half million dollar supercars is like people on a star wars board discussing the advantages of a bow fighter over an x-wing: ridiculous because we will never be driving them.
I would so totally buy an X-Wing if I could!

jcaramia

Monkey
Oct 28, 2007
Clifton, NJ
"Normally I think that a supercar - ANY supercar - is reason to get excited...but there is absolutely nothing about this that makes my pulse blip, my mouth go dry with anticipation or raises an involuntary smile. I just wouldn't have one. Ugly, lacking in passion, massively overpriced (and the halo effect better be 1,000-watt bright for it to seem like a good business decision) and doesn't seem to move the game on. Really disappointing."

-Somebody took the words right out of my mouth. I am sure it drives well but for that money, I'd rather see a 911 or 458 in my garage with some cash in my pocket.

Demomonkey

Monkey
Apr 27, 2005
Auckland New Zealand
I like the look (definitely tones of Supra's of old) and the styling (esp the scoop treatment at the B/C pillar interface) and the performance and the engine. All are extremely cool IMO.

BUT (yep, its big one)

As that CAR mag article says though - its doesnt look like a GPB325,000 car. It looks like it should be going against the GTR in the GPB55,000 price area. (and thats still 20K more than the JDM expects buyers to pay).

Toyota are expecting to lose money on each one? Is there a lunatic running that company now? First fiscal year loss ever last year (yes, they can be excused) and now a super exclusive 'super car' that looks like at best 'a very cool sports car'.

Im waiting for the Toybaru STi to come out. 1/10th the cost, 8/10ths the performance.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
I'd rather see a 911 or 458 in my garage with some cash in my pocket.
comparing a 911 to a car like this is stupid..even if its a GT2....or even a 958

Toyota are expecting to lose money on each one? Is there a lunatic running that company now? First fiscal year loss ever last year (yes, they can be excused) and now a super exclusive 'super car' that looks like at best 'a very cool sports car'.

Im waiting for the Toybaru STi to come out. 1/10th the cost, 8/10ths the performance.
making a car that loses money is nothing new in high end exotics like this. Bugatti is still losing money on every 16.4 Veryon that they make. maybe their new 4door will resolve that issue, but i doubt it.
and dont forget, pricing in Europe is significantly higher than the US or Japan

and the Toyota/Subaru performance car is dead. the only car that has been talked about b/w the two companies is the new FT86. a small and cheap sports car

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I would just like to see Toyota resurrect the Supra. Nissan has had some success with the 350z/370z, the MKIV was light years ahead of the Z, it was just out priced (yet still a bargain).

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
I would just like to see Toyota resurrect the Supra. Nissan has had some success with the 350z/370z, the MKIV was light years ahead of the Z, it was just out priced (yet still a bargain).
there have been talks about bringing a MkV into market, but i believe they canceled it.
and yes, the 300Z was nothing compared to the late model Supra

jcaramia

Monkey
Oct 28, 2007
Clifton, NJ
comparing a 911 to a car like this is stupid..even if its a GT2....or even a 958

making a car that loses money is nothing new in high end exotics like this. Bugatti is still losing money on every 16.4 Veryon that they make. maybe their new 4door will resolve that issue, but i doubt it.
and dont forget, pricing in Europe is significantly higher than the US or Japan

and the Toyota/Subaru performance car is dead. the only car that has been talked about b/w the two companies is the new FT86. a small and cheap sports car
I wasn't comparing them, I just said I'd personally spend the money on a 911....or a Ferrari

But......is it really that unfair to compare the two? Porsche has been making sports cars for the road for years. (We all know Toyota has an F1 team and this car has a big F1 V10 in it) but is this car really going to be that great compared to other cars in its class? Some consider Porsche to be standard of sports car design and performance. Porches are always compared to Ferraris, Corvettes, R8s, the new GT-R etc. because they are that great of a sports car. Personally, I don't think this car is as fast as a GT2 or GT3 around most circuits. It looks fast as hell on paper(which I am sure it is) but I don't think it can beat a 977.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Porches are always compared to Ferraris, Corvettes, R8s, the new GT-R etc. because they are that great of a sports car. Personally, I don't think this car is as fast as a GT2 or GT3 around most circuits. It looks fast as hell on paper(which I am sure it is) but I don't think it can beat a 977.
the only Porsche that is compared to a Ferrari, R8 or any other exotic is the now dead Carrera GT.
the new GT2 is super fast yes, but im sure this car will be able to keep up with it even with it's bloated weight (compared to the GT2 and GT3.) the weights are very similar to each other, but the LFA is heavier by about 200lbs...(the 997 is a flat 6 and the FLA is a V10 dont forget)

this is a car that gets driving once in a blue moon. a Porsche isthe poor man's "supercar." i love them, dont get me wrong. id get one any day over a GTR, but not over the LFA or any other exotic

and 977 isnt a Porsche model, im guessing you mean 997?

Last edited:

jcaramia

Monkey
Oct 28, 2007
Clifton, NJ
the only Porsche that is compared to a Ferrari, R8 or any other exotic is the now dead Carrera GT.
the new GT2 is super fast yes, but im sure this car will be able to keep up with it even with it's bloated weight (compared to the GT2 and GT3.)

and 977 isnt a Porsche model, im guessing you mean 997?
Whoops, yeah 997.

There is not a doubt this new car is fast, maybe I am being biased because I love Porsches but a lot of cars, Ferrari 430, 360, GT-R, R8 have all been tested against Porsche models. Not saying all these other cars suck and I am not one to compare them because I haven't driven any, but a lot of comparison tests say the Porsche is faster. With the exception of any of the Ferraris or other outrageous super cars.

Again this car is really interesting, with the Carbon Chasis and all that F1 technology its probably fast as hell. I just wanna see some real word comparisons of it up against the ruling champions. Ferrari, Porsche, Pagani ETC.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
carefull with those words...you never know who is lurking on here. But i tend to agree, some of these threads on cars make me laugh because I am on 6speedonline and fChat daily...

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
there have been talks about bringing a MkV into market, but i believe they canceled it.
and yes, the 300Z was nothing compared to the late model Supra
Pretty funny. All of this talk about gen 4 Supra's, and i've seen two of them in the last two days. A black one with stock black wheels, and a red one with no wing, super wide rear wheels, and a gigantic front mount. I didn't see a supra all summer. I want one.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Pretty funny. All of this talk about gen 4 Supra's, and i've seen two of them in the last two days. A black one with stock black wheels, and a red one with no wing, super wide rear wheels, and a gigantic front mount. I didn't see a supra all summer. I want one.
If I was having the actual mid life crisis my ex-wife swears I am having right now, I would have bought one. I do want one, but I have too many other projects.

I nearly bought one a few years ago.

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
I would be way jealous of you if you bought one. I myself am actually going the complete opposite direction with cars. Instead of looking for something big, burly, powerful, computer powered, and able to withstand lots of power mods..........i'm looking for an old skool air cooled beetle to drive around. I want one bad. Always have. Just something lowered, simple, and fun to drive. I know, i have weird taste in cars.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I would be way jealous of you if you bought one. I myself am actually going the complete opposite direction with cars. Instead of looking for something big, burly, powerful, computer powered, and able to withstand lots of power mods..........i'm looking for an old skool air cooled beetle to drive around. I want one bad. Always have. Just something lowered, simple, and fun to drive. I know, i have weird taste in cars.
I actually spotted a '77 280z in a lot last time I was home. The guy wanted $2500 for it and it's been there over 6 months. I had a '78 that I put WAY too many mods into that was a blast to drive.

My sons first car was a '67 VW with the motor out of my '69 (200mm fly wheel). I had dual port heads and a Weber 2bbl carb on it. He drove it for 2 years before he sold it.

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
I actually spotted a '77 280z in a lot last time I was home. The guy wanted $2500 for it and it's been there over 6 months. I had a '78 that I put WAY too many mods into that was a blast to drive.

My sons first car was a '67 VW with the motor out of my '69 (200mm fly wheel). I had dual port heads and a Weber 2bbl carb on it. He drove it for 2 years before he sold it.
Awesome. Sounds like you have a bit of weird taste too. I'm about the only guy out of my friends that would drive a 280z. I actually test drove one years ago and i wasn't impressed at the time. Now i know that you can put the Silvia engine in it, i'd probably get one. I'm just trying to stay away from something that is going to be tempting to make fast. Making something go fast is super spendy. Some cars have no limits. A vw...........eh, you can only really make it go a little quick, not fast. I would have no desire to even try.

I used to have an 84 rabbit four door with a 2.0 liter 97 jetta block in it and a GTI head. It was pretty tricked out. I used to autocross it a ton.

I wouldn't mind having a Starion or Conquest either.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
My '78 was like this:
280 block (large displacement)
240 head (better valves and chamber)
300zx turbo injectors (twice the output of stock and cheaper than after market)
Nismo cam
Nismo header
280 ignition with aftermarket coil
Weber throttle body (40mm I think, I forget)
2.5" exhaust with Gibson muffler
5 speed, factory lsd, Nismo clutch, 1" front sway bar, removed rear sway bar.

You want to talk about fast, that little bastard straight moved. 3 tickets in 6 months and I sold it. The sole reason I want another one is to do a 250 GTO body kit.

Z Car GTO Kit: $12k

Real Ferrari 250 GTO; $7M

<edit> The Z Car kit comes with 72 spoke Dayton wheels that are built for the kit with a custom offset.