Quantcast

Travel resumption post-COVID

When do you anticipate traveling "normally" again?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
shit I drove a truck and horse trailer from SF to Lexington KY in 4 days last Nov It aint that hard. RV rentals are dirt cheap these days. small class c and they don't need to interact with anyone except to buy groceries. sleep safely in the truck stops on the highway

chuffer

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2004
McMinnville, OR
I tried to talk them into doing the road trip. However, they are not experienced RVers or campers and did not feel comfortable with an undertaking of that size. To some of us that may sound like a dream trip, but that is a hell of a big road trip during the best of times.

For a bit, I considered driving them across myself, but I think that would've ended in my divorce, maybe theirs and none of us ever speaking again.

I agree with fuck airplanes sentiment, but I really think it is only gonna get worse once more states start opening back up.

To repeat: fawk!

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
@chuffed
1st class seating + masks is about the safest they're gonna get. Vents off, gloves and sanitizer, try to not touch anything.
The vents blow clean air. A mix of outside air and recycled air pushed through HEPA filters. You get sick from the coughing asshole behind you, not from.the vents. At altitude planes refresh air rather quickly, those fuckers leak like you wouldn't believe.

Your best bet is to have the vents blow directly at your face.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I tried to talk them into doing the road trip. However, they are not experienced RVers or campers and did not feel comfortable with an undertaking of that size. To some of us that may sound like a dream trip, but that is a hell of a big road trip during the best of times.

For a bit, I considered driving them across myself, but I think that would've ended in my divorce, maybe theirs and none of us ever speaking again.

I agree with fuck airplanes sentiment, but I really think it is only gonna get worse once more states start opening back up.

To repeat: fawk!
1 fuck airplanes
2 if you must, do it Right Now and don't wait.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I read that vents on is actually safer, as the air is largely bleed air from the engines and thus not recirculated? @Westy , help here?

Edit: saw his post a few above mine. :thumbs:
It does depend on altitude and a fair bit of variability between each plane, both model and individual builds. The goal is to have a tightly sealed fuselage as less bleed air means less fuel burn but it is pretty difficult to seal super tight. I doubt the relationship is linear but the models I am familiar with you get about 1cfm of air exchange per seat. All vent air should be well filtered.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
Honestly, right now is probably the best time to fly if you have to fly before a vaccine or Jesus cures this thing. Planes are still flying damn near empty, plenty of space to avoid the sticky guy in sweatpants with skin tags and Covid, make yourself defensive buffer with the vents in the surrounding seats blowing away from you, and yours piped directly onto your face, mask up, rail some lines of Lysol, wash your hands and feet, then sit back, relax and enjoy the friendly skies.

chuffer

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2004
McMinnville, OR
Yeah, until I saw that the other day, I was pretty much thinking that this was the perfect time for them to travel.

The Untied website now says that if a flight gets booked to more than 70% capacitys, they'll call to discuss travel options.

fuck airplanes. is there an echo in here?

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
Last edited:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Oof, a twitter link? Think I'd rather eat spagetti off the floor of Elmhurst than go to Twitter, that's a hard pass

I'm assuming it's something about airlines now operating in a more Floridian manner?

Basically that what you and I both said about now being the best time to fly is completely incorrect and it turns out, now is not a good time to fly.

Chuffer: you buyin a van bro.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
My wife has yet to cancel our summer trip to Ireland, Scotland, London & Paris scheduled for late July/Aug. Not keen on the thought of traveling right now nor will I be until a vaccine of some sort is available.

chuffer

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2004
McMinnville, OR
So, in the end we wrapped Mom & Pop in all manners of PPE, loaded them up with sanitozers & extra PPE and reviewed correct protocol from everything from TSA interactions to using the shitter. Then we put them on a plane.

The report:
First class was full on both legs of their flight.
Economy Aisle and window seats were 85% ish.
Economy Middle seats were 100% empty.
Planes loaded back to front.
Every person they saw during the entire trip wore a mask.
PDX and SFO had a surprising number of amenities open. Bookstore was open in SFO.
BOS was locked the fuck down. They said there was one DunkinDouche open in the terminal they came into. That was it.

The only really shitty part of the trip was people behaving like people. Seatbelt light turned off at the arrival gate and every motherfucker in the plane tried to jump up and sprint to the front. Just like the good old days. Luckily we told the folks to stay put when that happens and wait for some deviant from the bell curve of human douchebaggery ( someone with a little decency) to allow them room to stand up safely....

Guess we'll know sometime in the next 2 weeks how it really went...

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Screen Shot 2020-05-27 at 9.56.51 PM.png

Similar of distribution of results from the NASIOC version of this thread.

We are idly discussing whether it'd be safe for the mother in law (lives alone in Seattle, not interacting with anyone/social distancing at the 2 days per week she's in the office) to fly here to visit my kids. Not sure yet.

If we had, say, cheap and available antigen tests that might make me feel more comfortable.

chuffer

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2004
McMinnville, OR
So, in the end we wrapped Mom & Pop in all manners of PPE, loaded them up with sanitozers & extra PPE and reviewed correct protocol from everything from TSA interactions to using the shitter. Then we put them on a plane.

The report:
First class was full on both legs of their flight.
Economy Aisle and window seats were 85% ish.
Economy Middle seats were 100% empty.
Planes loaded back to front.
Every person they saw during the entire trip wore a mask.
PDX and SFO had a surprising number of amenities open. Bookstore was open in SFO.
BOS was locked the fuck down. They said there was one DunkinDouche open in the terminal they came into. That was it.

The only really shitty part of the trip was people behaving like people. Seatbelt light turned off at the arrival gate and every motherfucker in the plane tried to jump up and sprint to the front. Just like the good old days. Luckily we told the folks to stay put when that happens and wait for some deviant from the bell curve of human douchebaggery ( someone with a little decency) to allow them room to stand up safely....

Guess we'll know sometime in the next 2 weeks how it really went...
Jeebus, I can damned near taste the stress induced rage in that one. Guess I was a mite worried out putting the folks out of the house and into a germ tube...

pinkshirtphotos

site moron
Jul 5, 2006
Vernon, NJ
i used to travel in place. now I travel on planes w/ 12 flights last year. once I forgot the vent on full blast in my face, got stick. Always crank up the vent on to blow the others germs away from yer body. I expect to drive XC is safest for now.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
i have masks.....3-4 boxes of xl gloves.....homemade alcohol wipes which they will probably tell me to toss....and a small travel blanket to wrap my head in as i sleep in bliss as soon as we hit 30,000 feet...

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
View attachment 145738

Similar of distribution of results from the NASIOC version of this thread.

We are idly discussing whether it'd be safe for the mother in law (lives alone in Seattle, not interacting with anyone/social distancing at the 2 days per week she's in the office) to fly here to visit my kids. Not sure yet.

If we had, say, cheap and available antigen tests that might make me feel more comfortable.
The drive back from CA wasn't fun - you can do the round trip in 4 days if you want to be involved or it's a 2 day if she can make 2 12hr days (SEA-SLC, SLC-DEN). Plan, as much as possible, around Costco for gas and bathroom breaks (higher safety standards) and using rest areas (people don't linger there).

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Maybe it's just me, but I enjoy a good road trip, especially if you don't have a strict schedule. I treasure the 3 days I got to spend last year driving the moving truck from CO to MA with my dad, even if I did 100% of the driving. He had a great time staring out the window at stuff and places he'd never seen before, and it gave us a great opportunity to talk.

The drive back from CA wasn't fun - you can do the round trip in 4 days if you want to be involved or it's a 2 day if she can make 2 12hr days (SEA-SLC, SLC-DEN). Plan, as much as possible, around Costco for gas and bathroom breaks (higher safety standards) and using rest areas (people don't linger there).
Speak for yourself. Foot goes *tap tap tap*.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Maybe it's just me, but I enjoy a good road trip, especially if you don't have a strict schedule. I treasure the 3 days I got to spend last year driving the moving truck from CO to MA with my dad, even if I did 100% of the driving. He had a great time staring out the window at stuff and places he'd never seen before, and it gave us a great opportunity to talk.

Speak for yourself. Foot goes *tap tap tap*.
There is one on 70 in Eastern Utah with stall walls about 5' tall. Even in my periphery vision, I can see the toilet if I am at the farthest right urinal.

chuffer

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2004
McMinnville, OR
I will probably be back on the road for work shortly, but luckily most customers are still very restrictive about letting outsiders in...

My biggest concerns are travel delays caused by airlines playing reindeer games to keep flights full, travel delays by passengers who get flagged not to fly (symptoms, no mask, etc.) and accessibility to decent food. Catching COIVD-19 is a concern, but pretty avoidable via actions that I am 99% in control of.

Already had a discussion about the food issue. Colleague asked me why I was worried about food, because McDonalds and Wendys are still open. That guy is dead (to me) now...

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I'm likely to have to travel in August, SIL is sending a few KN95's.
Unsure what I'll do about feeding myself and also concerned about hotel HVAC...

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I'm likely to have to travel in August, SIL is sending a few KN95's.
Unsure what I'll do about feeding myself and also concerned about hotel HVAC...
You're welcome to my respirator if you need it. You'll need new filters though, they were used for MIL house cleaning.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Company just released policy that we are not to see clients in person or travel at all until Labor Day at the soonest.