Quantcast

US National Championships at Infineon Raceway!?

W4S

Turbo Monkey
Mar 2, 2004
Back in Hell A, b1thces
5/11/06. The Infineon Technologies Cougar Mountain Classic has been named to to host the relocated 2006 MTB National Championships. Originally scheduled for Mammoth Mountain, this event has been relocated due to the heavy snow pack in the Sierras. Please check back for further details, and our expanded and revised schedule.

http://www.cmclassic2.com/

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
West coast nationals used to be such classics (big bear, mammoth, snoqualimie, tahoe, Rainier, etc...) now we got otter, infineon, and fontana.

Why oh why could this not have been in the rockies, or someplace with this thing called TERRAIN!!!!!!!

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
Why not host the XC events at Infineon and the DH/4X events at Whistler...there is a Canada Cup race going on there the same weekend...just award the jersey to the top American finisher. Heck, all of the teams have to be there the whole following week for Crankworx anyway.

-ska todd

Metal

President of FRONJ
Oct 17, 2001
Orange County, CA
ska todd said:
Why not host the XC events at Infineon and the DH/4X events at Whistler...there is a Canada Cup race going on there the same weekend...just award the jersey to the top American finisher. Heck, all of the teams have to be there the whole following week for Crankworx anyway.

-ska todd
A US National Championship race in Canadia seems so stupid Norba just might do it.

SPrider

Monkey
Feb 18, 2005
hahahaha if they use the same course as for the cougar mt. classic is will be plain funny, wow norba is killing it these days

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
Just abandon the NORBA series, please, you people need to stop supporting this cancer.

USopen, Crankworx, Angelfire, couple others need to just band together, create a north american series. Races that already exist and that are known to be good...get away from the mold.

c2001

Paparazzi
Aug 10, 2001
where everyone is
Metal said:
So that's back-to-back weekends at Sonoma?:nonono: Lame.
from the wording, i was under the impression that the sonoma nat'l race is just counting as the national champs...the race on the 14-16 is considered nat champs.

yeah, no? kinda hard to say. whatcha think?

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
Metal said:
A US National Championship race in Canadia seems so stupid Norba just might do it.
I'm not saying it's my perferred scenerio but geez, I'll take Canada over a lame US track! Heck, Whistler is closer to a major US city than 1/2 the other places they pick to hold events it seems. A lot of the Euro countries hold their DH championships outside of their country anyway. I can't imagine the DH courses in Holland are all that gnar.

-ska todd

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Canadian championship: Sun Valley elevation 6070'.
American championship: Hill next to Infineon Raceway elevation 678': Topo Link

Do you think any downhillers were consulted about the venue?

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
Wait, I am confused....this sonoma race is the national championship race??
As in determining who are best american racers are for the season???

c2001

Paparazzi
Aug 10, 2001
where everyone is
here's what it says:
5/11/06. The Infineon Technologies Cougar Mountain Classic has been named to host the relocated 2006 MTB National Championships. Originally scheduled for Mammoth Mountain, this event has been relocated due to the heavy snow pack in the Sierras. Please check back for further details, and our expanded and revised schedule.

it doesn't say "infineon raceway has been chosen" it says the "cougar mtn classic" has been named to host the relocated venue...that's why i think the national champs are determined at the cougar mountain classic...just one race, not 2 separate races. don't know for sure, that's why i'm asking.

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
I see they already have the Sonoma race flyer done! hats off to NORBA for quick graphic design, maybe with the close proximity to San Fran they will get huge crowds ;)

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
This just in...
NORBA gets sponsored by 'Bobs Cinder Block' and are bringing in 16 truck loads of block to make 'the wall' in sonoma, help give it some DH 'culture'.

c2001

Paparazzi
Aug 10, 2001
where everyone is
press release

USA CYCLING MOUNTAIN BIKE NATIONALS MOVE TO SONOMA, CALIF. JULY 13-16

Event Removed From National Mountain Bike Series Calendar

Contact: Andy Lee (Tel.) 719.866.4867 (Mobile) 719.231.2041 (E-mail) alee@usacycling.org Website: www.usacycling.org <https://www.usacyc.org/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=https://www.usacyc.org/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=https://www.usacyc.org/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=https://www.usacyc.org/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=https://www.usacyc.org/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=http://www.usacyc.org/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=http://www.usacycling.org>

Colorado Springs, Colo. (May 11, 2006)-Infineon Raceway in Sonoma, Calif. will host the 2006 USA Cycling Mountain Bike National Championships July 13-16 as part of the Infineon Technologies Cougar Mountain Classic.

Originally planned for the following weekend, the 2006 USA Cycling Mountain Bike National Championships have been moved up one week after a record amount of snowfall forced the event's relocation from Mammoth Mountain last month.

Initially designated as the fifth round of the 2006 National Mountain Bike Series, the event has been removed from the series calendar and will no longer factor into the overall series standings. Instead, the event has been designated as the stand-alone, American-only national championship for all levels and disciplines of mountain biking.

"This is a phenomenal opportunity for Infineon Raceway and for the Northern California cycling community," said Steve Page, president and general manager of Infineon Raceway. "We have long believed that the unique nature of our facility landscape and our location in the virtual birthplace of the mountain bike offered the ingredients for an outstanding competition festival. Hosting the USA Cycling Mountain Bike National Championships is an honor and a responsibility we take very seriously and we look forward to working with everyone involved to stage a successful and memorable event in July."

After a record 664 inches of snow fell this season, Mammoth Mountain reported a base depth of nearly 20 feet as of May 1 - a figure that ultimately put the resort's ability to host the event in jeopardy.

"It was a difficult decision," said Bill Cockroft, senior vice president of operations at Mammoth Mountain, "but ultimately we believe we owed it to the mountain bike community to make sure the event continues at the level and standards expected by USA Cycling."

After weeks of discussion with several potential sites, Infineon Raceway was identified as the best replacement venue, and the date change was largely due to the raceway's preparation to host a National Hot Rod Association event the following week.

"Infineon Raceway is one of a handful of established venues capable of hosting a national championship-caliber event in a short amount of time," commented Steve Johnson, chief executive officer of USA Cycling. "We had hoped to maintain the original date that was designated for our national championships, but ultimately a decision had to be made so that we can move forward with the organization of an event consistent with the level of quality that our membership has come to expect. After discussions with several potential venues, it was determined that Infineon Raceway on the new date provided the best-possible scenario."

Infineon Raceway has a history of hosting nationally recognized cycling events including a NORBA National Mountain Bike Series event in 2004 and the Infineon Technologies Cougar Mountain Classic.

Registration for the 2006 USA Cycling Mountain Bike National Championships begins on Monday, May 15 at www.sportsbaseonline.com <http://www.sportsbaseonline.com/> . A complete schedule of events will be available at that time.

About USA Cycling
Recognized by the U.S. Olympic Committee and the Union Cycliste Internationale, USA Cycling promotes American cycling through its 54,000 members and 2,000 annual events. USA Cycling associations include the BMX Association (BMX), National Off-Road Bicycle Association (mountain bike), U.S. Cycling Federation (road/track), the National Collegiate Cycling Association and the U.S. Professional Racing Organization (professional men's road). For more information visit www.usacycling.org <https://www.usacyc.org/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=https://www.usacyc.org/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=http://www.usacycling.org> or contact, USA Cycling Director of Marketing and Communications, Andy Lee at 719-866-4867.

stephanie

Monkey
Dec 7, 2005
East County via East Coast
©2001 said:
"Infineon Raceway is one of a handful of established venues capable of hosting a national championship-caliber event in a short amount of time," commented Steve Johnson, chief executive officer of USA Cycling. "We had hoped to maintain the original date that was designated for our national championships, but ultimately a decision had to be made so that we can move forward with the organization of an event consistent with the level of quality that our membership has come to expect. After discussions with several potential venues, it was determined that Infineon Raceway on the new date provided the best-possible scenario."
I think I just puked on my keyboard a little. They should've known that moving National Champs at Mammoth from Sept to July was a bad idea to begin with. I know it was done for the sake of "accomodating riders who are in World Cup events" but....I wish I was a fly on the wall when that decision was made.

hucked2bend

Monkey
May 24, 2005
Bend, Oregon
Wow, major dissapointment for a National Championship:mumble:

I'll predict the finals.

Adam Craig wins short track, XC, Super D & DH, then gets third in 4X, at least he could do all events there on the same bike!

I like the Whistler idea though....last one to Longhorns is a rotten downhiller!

Make mine a Stella please:cool:

DylanDeanDesign

Turbo Monkey
Dec 10, 2004
San Diego area, California USA
ska todd said:

-ska todd

umm....that would make too much sense.... sheesh ;)

W4S

Turbo Monkey
Mar 2, 2004
Back in Hell A, b1thces
sanjuro said:
Do you think any downhillers were consulted about the venue?
I don't think anybody within NOBRA has ever been on a DH bike.

Oh well, my tough decision about whether to go to Canada the week before CrankWorx or the week after has just been make for me. See you canucks mid-July. :love:

Metal

President of FRONJ
Oct 17, 2001
Orange County, CA
ska todd said:
I'm not saying it's my perferred scenerio but geez, I'll take Canada over a lame US track! Heck, Whistler is closer to a major US city than 1/2 the other places they pick to hold events it seems. A lot of the Euro countries hold their DH championships outside of their country anyway. I can't imagine the DH courses in Holland are all that gnar.

-ska todd
Todd,
There are plenty off great tracks in the US, so there wouldn't be a need to go elsewhere. Hell I would rather drive across the country and camp in a parking lot and race Plattekill instead of have our Championship race at Infineon.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
W4S said:
I don't think anybody within NOBRA has ever been on a DH bike.

Oh well, my tough decision about whether to go to Canada the week before CrankWorx or the week after has just been make for me. See you canucks mid-July. :love:
Go july 21-31 canada cup, crankworx, parties.

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA
Maybe you'll have to do a couple rounds of wine tasting before your run to make it more tech............I'm really glad my money is going to pay such briliant peoples salaries. If that's all they were going to do why not have it at the Park City race.....

Threepointtwo

Monkey
Jun 21, 2002
SLC, UT
In other news, the world land speed championships have been moved from the Bonneville Salt Flats to a Costa Rican jungle and the freeskiing championships have been moved from Valdez to Palm Springs.