Quantcast

US National Championships at Infineon Raceway!?

Threepointtwo

Monkey
Jun 21, 2002
SLC, UT
vitox said:
i call BS on that, the national championships are different from other UCI events, in the sense that each national federation runs them, there is no UCI comissaire involved at all.

i have personally talked to the UCI about this on behalf of my own national federation, when they were in a bind very similar to norba, no venue to be found, no promoter, etc, so i called the UCI personally and let them know about the date change and they told me no worries, its up to each national federation to see when&where to hold their own national championships.
So, it would be a simple call to get a waiver to move it back to Deer Valley? They had a waiver originally to move the race a week later to Mammoth. It sounds like they made a bad decision without consideration of the DH crowd (again) and now refuse to admit it or make a change for the better. Very NORBA like.

So, who's racing the Singletrack Nationals? Will they bother to create a separate Super D course?

LaytonDH

Monkey
Dec 19, 2003
UT
Threepointtwo said:
So, it would be a simple call to get a waiver to move it back to Deer Valley? They had a waiver originally to move the race a week later to Mammoth. It sounds like they made a bad decision without consideration of the DH crowd (again) and now refuse to admit it or make a change for the better. Very NORBA like.

So, who's racing the Singletrack Nationals? Will they bother to create a separate Super D course?
For DH nationals, you ride down the course. For SuperD nationals, you ride up the course.

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
Transcend said:
Vic, the UCI handbook says that there is a 2 week window for national championships, and another for continentals.

i know, i sent you the file, remember ? :)

my point is that i dont think the UCI can be THAT inflexible, they didnt have any problems with us moving the date around quite a bit, they actually explained to me why they didnt care much, which was what i posted earlier, the concern behind the timetable you are referring to is to not have any important events coincide on the calendar, but since the national championships are exclusive to each country, it wouldnt matter so much as long as no other UCI event in the US or with an important amount of US riders entered was calendarized, but this seems to not be the case at all.

and since the rules say a dh course should last so and so long, and be of such and such length (which i think wont be the case at this place theyre using now) it would be a case of robbing peter to pay paul...

IronDad

Chimp
Jan 16, 2005
Transcend said:
Vic, the UCI handbook says that there is a 2 week window for national championships, and another for continentals.

What's the rule number or section of the "handbook" that this comes from?

dondon

Monkey
south africa had their UCI sanctioned national champs before sea otter - So did AUS, so there goes that theory. Thank god that i only become an african american in 2007. Have a legitamate reason for skipping 06. not that there isnt one now.

Backpack1

Monkey
Mar 16, 2005
GNORKAL
didnt see this question asked here, maybe I missed it, but....what if you had already registered for the Cougar Mtn 'Classic':rolleyes: and HAD NOT QUALIFIED for the Nat Champs, tuff luck? no race? refund?

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
IronDad said:
What's the rule number or section of the "handbook" that this comes from?
Here is the exact wording for continentals, no time to look for nationals as I am already running late. Nationals are the same deal.

Chapter GENERAL REGULATIONS
Calendar entry
10.1.001 The Continental Championships are organised each year under the responsibility of the Continental
Confederations, at least for the olympic disciplines and the elite category (except for Europe) and
are entered on the Continental Calendar on a fixed date chosen in agreement with the UCI. The
enrolment request must reach the UCI before 1st June of the previous year.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
IronDad said:
That doesn't address what's being argued here.
If you read the entire thing, you will notice i said that the nationals have the same thing, only I didn't have time to look for it. All championships are done the same way by the UCI.

IronDad

Chimp
Jan 16, 2005
Transcend said:
If you read the entire thing, you will notice i said that the nationals have the same thing, only I didn't have time to look for it. All championships are done the same way by the UCI.
I can read just fine... you said:

"the UCI handbook says that there is a 2 week window for national championships, and another for continentals."

Then you posted:

"Here is the exact wording for continentals, no time to look for nationals as I am already running late. Nationals are the same deal.

Chapter GENERAL REGULATIONS
Calendar entry
10.1.001 The Continental Championships are organised each year under the responsibility of the Continental
Confederations, at least for the olympic disciplines and the elite category (except for Europe) and
are entered on the Continental Calendar on a fixed date chosen in agreement with the UCI. The
enrolment request must reach the UCI before 1st June of the previous year."

The latter does not support the former.

IronDad

Chimp
Jan 16, 2005
Transcend said:
If you are so interested, yet don't believe what anyone has to say, do your own research. 3 or 4 of us have already stated the way it works.
It's not that I don't believe what you have to say, it's just that I think you misunderstand the rules. For that reason I'm asking for the rule that you're referring to.

I've done the research on the UCI site and can't find what you're claiming, so if you provided me with the rule I might be able to see what you're talking about.

What you've provided doesn't say what you think it says.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
and are entered on the Continental Calendar on a fixed date chosen in agreement with the UCI

This date is for all of the continental championships in each hemisphere. (North have one date, South have another). So yes, it does.

Also, I believe there is a promoter's handbook, and a general one (which is all that is on the UCI site). Vic has the promoters handbook somewhere.

Edit: In any case, the USAC is so selective in how it implements UCI rules it doesn't really matter.

IronDad

Chimp
Jan 16, 2005
Transcend said:
and are entered on the Continental Calendar on a fixed date chosen in agreement with the UCI

This date is for all of the continental championships in each hemisphere. (North have one date, South have another). So yes, it does.

Also, I believe there is a promoter's handbook, and a general one (which is all that is on the UCI site). Vic has the promoters handbook somewhere.

Edit: In any case, the USAC is so selective in how it implements UCI rules it doesn't really matter.
I know you believe that it says that, but I'm not reading that into it. And we're talking about National (Federation) Championships, not (American) Continental Championships.

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
IronDad said:
Childish... just looking for information because maybe I can help...

irondad i cant find the file, its a pdf the UCI releases very early with unconfirmed venues and calendar slots for world cups, natl chships, world chships and continental chships, sort of a groundwork for the upcoming calendar, to make sure dates dont collide, i know i sent it to fraser a while ago maybe he can look it up, its not very relevant since at least i think it all boils down to that the uci isnt that inflexible and that the us federation could, if they wanted, arrive at a compromise with the uci that permitted them to host a decent dh nationals, but its quite clear they just dont care.

IronDad

Chimp
Jan 16, 2005
I agree it's probably a moot point... they're going to do what they do, regardless of what we say. Remember the '04 Olympics debacle? If they don't listen to their pros I don't think they'll listen to their age groupers.

ViciousDHer

eBay vigilante
Oct 30, 2003
Cheetabrian said:
http://usacycling.org/news/user/story.php?id=1122

You can now see if you are qualified for the championships. Maybe I am missing something but won't there be like nobody going to this if you have to qualify to race and it is in Sonoma?
But all thats necessary to qualify is a NORBA start from the last couple of years. We were considering going when it was in mammouth but not now . Maybe crankworx the next weekend. I finally found a cheap flight to Seattle, It seems the condos are pretty cheap also!!

DHCorky

Monkey
Aug 5, 2003
Headed to the lift...
WooHoo I am qualified I didn't think I was. I will show my opinion of this new venue by not going to the race.

Races from the end of last season count as qualifiers. I think it was from Aug. to just before the race in June.

DHCorky

Monkey
Aug 5, 2003
Headed to the lift...
ViciousDHer said:
But all thats necessary to qualify is a NORBA start from the last couple of years.
There is more to it than that.

NORBA said:
There are six possible ways for riders to qualify and compete in the 2004 United States National Mountain Bike Championships, which are outlined below:
NORBA State or Regional Championship Series or NORBA State or Regional Championship Event (one-day)
The top-15 overall riders in each discipline, class, and category offered at the US National Mountain Bike Championship and offered at a NORBA State or Regional Championship will be eligible to compete at the 2004 National Mountain Bike Championship. If the NORBA State or Regional Championship series is not finalized by the qualification deadline, the top-15 ranked series riders will be extended invitations. If the overall NORBA State or Regional Champions are determined after the 2004 qualification deadline, those riders will automatically be qualified to compete in the 2005 US National Mountain Bike Championships.
American Mountain Bike Challenge (AMBC) events
The top-10 riders in each discipline, class, and category offered at the US National Mountain Bike Championships and offered at any AMBC event will be eligible to compete in the 2004 US National Mountain Bike Championship. Riders who compete at AMBC events held after the qualification deadline and/or after 2004 US National MTB Championships will be eligible to compete in the 2005 US National MTB Championships if they place in the top-five in their respective discipline, class, and category.
NORBA National Series
The top-10 riders in each discipline, class, and category offered at any NORBA National Series event will be eligible to compete in the 2004 US National Mountain Bike Championship.
Defending United States National Mountain Bike Champions
All defending United States Mountain Bike Champions are automatically qualified to compete at the 2004 US National MTB Championships in their respective discipline and category.
Alison Dunlap Junior Olympic Mountain Bike Events (ADJOMTB)
The ADJOMTB is open to junior racers aged 18 years old and younger as of December 31 of the current year. Riders who qualify for the US National MTB Championships in an older junior age group than their official racing age, will still be qualified, but they will compete at the US National MTB Championship in their age group as of their age on December 31 of the current year (racing age).
USA Cycling Junior Development Regional Mountain Bike Camps
The top-six riders from each of the USA Cycling Junior Development Regional Mountain Bike Camps will be extended invitations to compete at the US National Mountain Bike Championships.
You can see the complete rules here http://www.usacycling.org/news/user/story.php?id=648

Edit: I noticed the dates are old but not much has changed for qualifing

Murphy's Law

Monkey
Apr 29, 2006
Raleighwood NC
yeah i had started to make plans to attend at it at mammoth since i qualified at snowshoe last year, but i'm not flying all the way across country dropping serious coin to race down a hill when i can do that in my own back yard. (but then again, the way it seems, if i do go, i might not have to race anyone to win a national championship!!)

Tattooo

Turbo Monkey
Jun 5, 2005
OV
So wait, if I was coming out to race, does this mean now that since my name isn't on the list I can't come play.

Hope these ****s are going to refund my plane ticket.

Feb 3, 2002
aus
well im going to be having heaps of fun spectating at sonoma after flying from new zealand for the norba season, i had friends coming to watch that race aswell but now its cancelled their trip aswell.
anyone can race the national champs in NZ and Aus

DHCorky

Monkey
Aug 5, 2003
Headed to the lift...
Tattooo said:
So wait, if I was coming out to race, does this mean now that since my name isn't on the list I can't come play.
It all depends on how strictly they enforce the rules. Technically if you are not on the list you cannot race. In the past they have let people slide through.

Seeing how strict they are being on licenses this year, I am not sure I would plan on racing unless you are on that list. Then again this is NORBA we are talking about.

DHCorky

Monkey
Aug 5, 2003
Headed to the lift...
specialized_dh said:
well im going to be having heaps of fun spectating at sonoma after flying from new zealand for the norba season,
You just need to come over to Colorado and race the Mountain States Cups and call that your NORBA season. It is a much better series than the Nationals.

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
Infineon is the reason why NORBA made suspension mandatory for XC racers- short track XC was won in 2004 by a dude on a road bike. Not even cross tires, just a regular, stock road bike. The short track
was almost all paved, with a little gravel. So instead of making a rule mandating dirt courses for mountain biking, they outlawed road bikes.
That just set a tone for all future events at Sonoma to be teh suck.

I'm guessing you can qualify at Deer Valley?

Maybe it'll be fun to just guzzle cheap beer endlessly and throw poop at people during their race runs. Maybe it'll be possible to race, who knows. Too bad international races don't count to qualify ya.

SlackBoy

Monkey
Apr 1, 2002
Wellington, New Zealand
specialized_dh said:
well im going to be having heaps of fun spectating at sonoma after flying from new zealand for the norba season, i had friends coming to watch that race aswell but now its cancelled their trip aswell.
anyone can race the national champs in NZ and Aus
Yes but K-Bizzle, thats cos we are special down here.
and possibly cos they are sick of getting beaten by riders from the commonwealth