Quantcast

US Open Live

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
Is it just me or does the internet - particularly the bike media - kick arse this year? So much quality coverage of races and bike stuff!

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
What exactly IS the US open? Is it another term for "US National Championships"?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
No, its a race with a big cash purse in a sh*tty part of New Jersey held by a mountain that doesn't have associations with any race governing body. Sandbagging runs rampant.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
In the US does the venue need to be associated or just the organizers running the race?
In a lot of cases, the organizers are associated with the venue - ie the employees or owners/managers (as is the case with Platty and Diablo). I don't think that's a requirement tho, since there are some resorts that hold race events, and that's the only time they are open for lift access mtb. There are others here that can give better info.

hahahahaha this man speaks the truth
Don't get me wrong, Diablo knows how to put on a good race. And their race courses are consistently great too! But when the winners of the amateur class are consistently putting up times that would put them in the top 10 of pro class, something is wrong.

SteezyWeezy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2006
portland, oregon
still stuck in seattle trying get a flight out today, looks like i'll miss practice today :disgust1: hopefully if i can get there a severe course walk and a 1/4 practice will have to do

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
We need something like this in the UK, somethign that draws in all of the normal World Cup crowd. Sure, they all come here for Fort William WC once a year, and 2-3 might turn up for an NPS (National Points Series) if it's at a convenient time, but other than that we get nothing. Hell, for the most part we don't even get the top UK guys (Gee/Peat) at the NPS - last year I think Gee did 1 of them, Peat did 0. Three of the NPS have UCI points, but still the turnout is pretty poor. A high-profile one-off race with a big purse is what we need.

Would be good to attract the names back to the UK in this sort of manner.

Eren

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2006
mill creek, WA (now in Surrey UK)
We need something like this in the UK, somethign that draws in all of the normal World Cup crowd. Sure, they all come here for Fort William WC once a year, and 2-3 might turn up for an NPS (National Points Series) if it's at a convenient time, but other than that we get nothing. Hell, for the most part we don't even get the top UK guys (Gee/Peat) at the NPS - last year I think Gee did 1 of them, Peat did 0. Three of the NPS have UCI points, but still the turnout is pretty poor. A high-profile one-off race with a big purse is what we need.

Would be good to attract the names back to the UK in this sort of manner.
And where would be a good venue for this? need to keep in mind that the US open i believe is at a ski resort so theres loads of rooms and food walking distance to the lifts

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
And where would be a good venue for this? need to keep in mind that the US open i believe is at a ski resort so theres loads of rooms and food walking distance to the lifts
theres not too much to eat in walking distance to the lift besides for what the mountain has.
there is a diary queen bout 1/4mile away

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
That's the key thing that this country is lacking in my opinion, venues near population centres. They're all in the middle of nowhere, so the only spectators you get are friends and family, no locals. I did a Maxxis Cup at Vigo a couple of months ago and the whole thing was AMAZING, mostly I think because the course is within spitting distance of a town of 300,000.

I've never been to Fort William, but that's obviously the closest we've got I guess. Intrigued to see what it's like when I race it in a month!

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
Anyone attending the Race this weekend feel free to stop by the Giant 2Wheel Freaks Team Pits and say hello. Ask for Dennis or Chuck. They will be glad to let you look over the Teams Gear and Bikes.

We will have some Helmet Cam footage up soon for everyone to look over along with Pictures.

www.2wheelfreaks.com

Cecil:cheers:

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Nice vid.

Evil Bikes: now with tent.
Definitely a cool vid. Question for ya: at what point in the video (time?) is the scary fade away that Steve Smith talks about in his course walk with boulders off to the side? Could it be at 2:00 minute mark?

Thanks for the vid and good luck.

Starbury

Chimp
Apr 29, 2006
Looking forward to another weekend filled with coverage of the worlds best!

Reading press releases on Dirtmag webby I was amazed at how tight the competition is at this level. Consider Delfs got 47th and was only 5 seconds off the pace!!!

As always, sick photos on Transcendmag.com! Keep it up!

Braaap!

ebarker9

Monkey
Oct 2, 2007
Definitely a cool vid. Question for ya: at what point in the video (time?) is the scary fade away that Steve Smith talks about in his course walk with boulders off to the side? Could it be at 2:00 minute mark?

Thanks for the vid and good luck.
Yup. "Crap chute" it's normally called. Lovely name.

Eren

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2006
mill creek, WA (now in Surrey UK)
That's the key thing that this country is lacking in my opinion, venues near population centres. They're all in the middle of nowhere, so the only spectators you get are friends and family, no locals. I did a Maxxis Cup at Vigo a couple of months ago and the whole thing was AMAZING, mostly I think because the course is within spitting distance of a town of 300,000.

I've never been to Fort William, but that's obviously the closest we've got I guess. Intrigued to see what it's like when I race it in a month!
So true, thats what i meant anyways. Nowhere that has population centres close by. but what can you do you know?

im headed out to ft bill as well to watch the action when it roles around

SteezyWeezy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2006
portland, oregon
got the very last seat out of seatac, headed to practice tomorrow from new brunswick! anybody know how long of a drive it is to vernon? we were estimating an hour and a half

slowitdown

Monkey
Mar 30, 2009
got the very last seat out of seatac, headed to practice tomorrow from new brunswick! anybody know how long of a drive it is to vernon? we were estimating an hour and a half
New Brunswick NJ, or New Brunswick Nova Scotia?

from New Brunswick NJ it will be about 2 hours to Vernon Valley/Mtn Creek/Diablo unless there's no traffic and all the lights are green. New Brunswick is crowded and full of traffic lights and roundabouts until you get on the highway. You can take highway roads to just outside Vernon, once you exit the highway you're back on traffic lighted roads, many of them small with low speed limits. It may look like a quick shot on a map, but you won't be doing 70 mph the whole way that's for sure.

you sure you don't mean Newark and not New Brunswick? there's no large airport in New Brunswick, not the sort that would take commercial carrier flights from Sea-Tac.

from New Brunswick Nova Scotia you'd be better off with a helicopter, it's a long way. :D

Last edited: