Quantcast

US Open of MTB - Live Thread

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Richie is indeed only 15. he does race pro class for USAC. Qualified 18th, had a mechanical and wasn't able to pedal the grass slopes into the finish but still managed to finish 9th.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Gee looked faster than anyone on the course today...even on the fireroad to the step up, he looked much faster and smoother than anyone else. cant believe he lost it.

Mick got a flat somewhere above us and was just coasting down the hill looking pretty defeated.

Young Richie Rude held the hot seat for a bit too...even with no chain for some of his run.

awesome day for riding. blue skies, hot weather.
attendance seemed WAY down compared to last year. im sure they will say there were record numbers, but the lift lines were non-existent and the mountain wasnt packed

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
I just went to watch for the first time and brought my son. Beautiful day and always fun to see some real rippers come down the mountain.

yopaulie

Monkey
Jun 4, 2009
NH
Congats to Richie and the proud papa! Couldn't happen to a greater kid. To have that time and not be able to pedal the end.....:shocked:

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
Arrogance.

I watched all interviews of Sam from Maribor....My god, Hill is more arrogant than never.
"When one is great, people often mistake candour for arrogance."

Personally I think pretty well all the top racers are pretty modest given their abilities. You want to see real arrogance, check out what Shaun Palmer has talked over the years.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Arrogance.

I watched all interviews of Sam from Maribor....My god, Hill is more arrogant than never.
I was doing fine... got all my lines in the top section, hit the rock garden nice, got through the woods. Then I got arrogant and couldn't shake it. Lost a lot of time being arrogant and couldn't make it up.

Lol. I wouldn't say he's anymore arrogant than any other rider out there. Chill and remember that a 15 second interview isn't an insight into what makes a guy tick. Maybe he just doesn't interview well.

P.T.W

Monkey
May 6, 2007
christchurch nz
"When one is great, people often mistake candour for arrogance."

Personally I think pretty well all the top racers are pretty modest given their abilities. You want to see real arrogance, check out what Shaun Palmer has talked over the years.
Grrrrr must spread rep!

DHPeteinSC

Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
In the KY (jelly) E-town
Sam was just going TOO fast and lost it. Bike technology hasnt caught up to his speed yet!:thumb: Seriously, he is always pinned and I think he just outrides the course sometimes. Lots of pressure when youre one of the best!:D

primo661

Monkey
Jun 16, 2008
Pietermaritzburg, South Africa
Sam was just going TOO fast and lost it. Bike technology hasnt caught up to his speed yet!:thumb: Seriously, he is always pinned and I think he just outrides the course sometimes. Lots of pressure when youre one of the best!:D
I must outride the course quite alot then seeing as I crash too.. Or does Sam crash for other reasons? Or did I get the complete wrong end of the stick?

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
so why didnt Gee show up for the podium? i saw him talking to the Red Bull chicks when the announcer was babbling on and after i turned around, he was gone.

DHJUNKIE

Monkey
Sep 27, 2001
Cromwell, CT
awesome pics, i cannot get over the fact richy rude got 9th and lost in chain BEFORE the step up!??. My friend said he came outta the woods w/ his derailur hanging off the bike.

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
awesome pics, i cannot get over the fact richy rude got 9th and lost in chain BEFORE the step up!??. My friend said he came outta the woods w/ his derailur hanging off the bike.
He was easily one of the top 5 fastest through the toyota rock garden.

bfrich

Monkey
May 30, 2007
ct
Thanks

Richie didn't loose his deraileur - he hit his bash and the chain rolled off the chainring.

rich

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
i didnt think Brendan would take that line for the finals. i saw him hit it a few times in practice and the main middle lines as well
that was a really cool line. It got me wondering though: no one else hit it. Was it really faster overall? I couldn't really tell, but it looked like he needed to bleed off a lot of speed in order cut inside like that. Even though the exit was smoother, did it really save time overall?

Of all the womyn, Mosely looked the smoothest over that line...

I liked that edit showing the top three taking the same line.

ebarker9

Monkey
Oct 2, 2007
that was a really cool line. It got me wondering though: no one else hit it. Was it really faster overall? I couldn't really tell, but it looked like he needed to bleed off a lot of speed in order cut inside like that. Even though the exit was smoother, did it really save time overall?

Of all the womyn, Mosely looked the smoothest over that line...

I liked that edit showing the top three taking the same line.
You also run the risk of colliding with one of the spectators clowning around over there, not expecting anyone to take that line, though it looked at least as quick as the other fast guys through there.