Quantcast

USA Worlds Team Selection

CRoss

Turbo Monkey
Nov 20, 2006
The Ranch
Did they petition??

Gravity East Pro's are fast, but are they doing anything to get their name on that list??
Unless they petitioned they are not going to be on the list. The only names nominated automatically are national champs. Everyone else, to even get your name considered has to submit a petition. It does not do any good to ask why someone was not selected if they did not submit a petition in the first place. USAC is only going to consider people that show them a interest in going.

ekozy39

Monkey
Apr 27, 2005
If you're a top privateer capably of beating the fully supported pros, why would you petition. You might qualify to go, but then you'd have nobody to pay your way. :rolleyes:
agreed, BUT if there was ever a year where a privateer American should petition this would be it. (North American worlds venue, favorable exchange rate, etc).. and for someone on the East you could be a car ride away. :thumb:

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
If you're a top privateer capably of beating the fully supported pros, why would you petition. You might qualify to go, but then you'd have nobody to pay your way. :rolleyes:
Wow. If you live on the east coast, are serious about racing and think your at the world champs level, but don't petition because you are too incompetent/lazy to scrape together a few hundred bucks (tops?) for a 4-5 day road trip, you probably don't deserve the chance to be at that race.

Edit:
Seriously, I'm a grad student living in one of the most expensive housing markets in the world, on the other side of the country, and if I REALLY REALLY wanted to go race worlds (and I was anywhere near good enough) I could make it happen. I'd take some sacrifices, but I could do it.

Last edited:

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
Wow. If you live on the east coast, are serious about racing and think your at the world champs level, but don't petition because you are too incompetent/lazy to scrape together a few hundred bucks (tops?) for a 4-5 day road trip, you probably don't deserve the chance to be at that race.
:thumb:

zdubyadubya

Turbo Monkey
Apr 13, 2008
Ellicott City, MD
:thumb::thumb:

davetrump

Turbo Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
lots of jumping to conclusions in this thread.... hilarious stuff folks, keep it up :rolleyes:

Neko is "east Coast" by the way... and the fastest dude out here.

look at results at national champs and world cups... if your home town hero isn't in the mix swallow your pride and cheer on your fellow countrymen.

FYI, it is not as easy as just driving across the border for east coast riders. If selected you must pay USAC for their "support".... usually in the $500 range.

thom9719

Turbo Monkey
Jul 25, 2005
In the Northwest.
Wow...Gravity East leaders got the diss on that one. I know Riffle is fast and all and Strait, but what have either done internationally this year?

Those two need to be booted from the Worlds team and let a ripper or two from the East go.
That list reads like a big fook yu letter to the Eastern US.
They've qualified at numerous world cups. Winning local races is a little different that doing it in the big times.

what have any east coasters done this year that make them more deserving than strait or riffle?

That team is the most deserving group to be going.

-KT

Last edited:

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
FYI, it is not as easy as just driving across the border for east coast riders. If selected you must pay USAC for their "support".... usually in the $500 range.
True.
But also it costs dough to even make the team.
It looks like they (rightly) picked guys from the world cups and the national champs.
To travel like that, its gonna cost some loot.
That said, when the east coast guys did not really have a presence at Sol Vista, I knew none of them would get selected (except Neko), petition or not.

We do have a good lineup heading to MSA though!
Good luck!

davetrump

Turbo Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
They've qualified at numerous world cups. Winning local races is a little different that doing it in the big times.

what have any east coasters done this year that make them more deserving than strait or riffle?

-KT

exactly.... nothing all all

if you are not in this top 10 list from US national Champs and/or regularly qualify for World Cup finals, you do not deserve anything.

1 150 Aaron Gwin Morongo Valley, CA 2:21.17 274107 1b Yeti Fox Factory
2 135 Logan Binggeli Saint George, UT 2:24.64 213148 149 KHS Bicycles
3 120 Tyler Immer Rancho Murieta, CA 2:24.87 276049 300
4 105 Kyle Strait Huntington Beach , CA 2:25.46 143063 175
5 90 Bradley Benedict Auburn, CA 2:25.61 198527 148 Specialized
6 85 Joey Schusler Boulder, CO 2:26.37 201238 297 Yeti Fox Shox Factory Race Team
7 80 Cody Warren Alpine, CA 2:26.59 160802 340 Foes Racing
8 75 Brian Buell Boulder, CO 2:26.97 218052 328 TeamGeronimo/BansheeBikes
9 70 John Swanguen San Diego, CA 2:27.11 175203 309 ODI/X-Fusion
10 65 Duncan Riffle Santa Barbara, CA 2:27.30 146687 171 Giant Mountain Bike Team

and please excuse Butch... he forgot that the south lost the civil war, and are not a separate country. Every year at about this time he complains that Garrett and other Southern riders are not on the team :thumb:

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
exactly.... nothing all all

if you are not in this top 10 list from US national Champs and/or regularly qualify for World Cup finals, you do not deserve anything.

1 150 Aaron Gwin Morongo Valley, CA 2:21.17 274107 1b Yeti Fox Factory
2 135 Logan Binggeli Saint George, UT 2:24.64 213148 149 KHS Bicycles
3 120 Tyler Immer Rancho Murieta, CA 2:24.87 276049 300
4 105 Kyle Strait Huntington Beach , CA 2:25.46 143063 175
5 90 Bradley Benedict Auburn, CA 2:25.61 198527 148 Specialized
6 85 Joey Schusler Boulder, CO 2:26.37 201238 297 Yeti Fox Shox Factory Race Team
7 80 Cody Warren Alpine, CA 2:26.59 160802 340 Foes Racing
8 75 Brian Buell Boulder, CO 2:26.97 218052 328 TeamGeronimo/BansheeBikes
9 70 John Swanguen San Diego, CA 2:27.11 175203 309 ODI/X-Fusion
10 65 Duncan Riffle Santa Barbara, CA 2:27.30 146687 171 Giant Mountain Bike Team

and please excuse Butch... he forgot that the south lost the civil war, and are not a separate country. Every year at about this time he complains that Garrett and other Southern riders are not on the team :thumb:
No. That's making up crap.

My point is that if you are a top East Coast pro, you have very little justification to travel to Worlds. Sure, you could go to U.S. Nationals half a country away. Pay your own way. Maybe get a bike lost in transit or stolen. Get top 10. Make the team maybe.

But then what? Pay for yourself to suddenly up and go to Canada at a moments notice on a shoe string budget. Have to BUY a "starter" kit from USAC. Make not a dime, but essentially lose money in a shot to qualify?

Or...stay on the East Coast. Race all the big resorts and make a paycheck every single weekend and drive only a few hours at most to a regional race that same weekend and make more bank.

If one of the ones I mentioned was on a full scale US travel team and made top 10 at Nationals, they could justify going. Team would pay for their flight, etc to go so they're not losing money.

I'm not saying any of them deserve to go. I'm just saying there isn't much justification for them to want to. :)

RayB

Monkey
Jan 31, 2008
Seattle
Perhaps we're all overthinking/overdebating this whole USAC selection thing?

To me, it looks like they invited the Top-5 finishers from Nat'l Champs and the only other 2 Americans who consistently qualify on the World Cup stage. Pretty straighforward, IMO.

From an objective standpoint, there doesn't appear to be any bias against the East Coast racers. If you show up to the Natty, finish Top-5, you're in. Alternatively, if you're on a factory squad and/or race WC's and have shown consistent ability to make the big show on Sunday, you're also in.

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
Perhaps we're all overthinking/overdebating this whole USAC selection thing?

To me, it looks like they invited the Top-5 finishers from Nat'l Champs and the only other 2 Americans who consistently qualify on the World Cup stage. Pretty straighforward, IMO.

From an objective standpoint, there doesn't appear to be any bias against the East Coast racers. If you show up to the Natty, finish Top-5, you're in. Alternatively, if you're on a factory squad and/or race WC's and have shown consistent ability to make the big show on Sunday, you're also in.
right? if you race the big dog races and do well at them, then you get to go to the world champs. if you rule the local circuit, but not beyond, good on you. gotta take 1 step before you can take 2 or 3 steps...

thom9719

Turbo Monkey
Jul 25, 2005
In the Northwest.

My point is that if you are a top East Coast pro, you have very little justification to travel to Worlds. Sure, you could go to U.S. Nationals half a country away. Pay your own way. Maybe get a bike lost in transit or stolen. Get top 10. Make the team maybe.

But then what? Pay for yourself to suddenly up and go to Canada at a moments notice on a shoe string budget. Have to BUY a "starter" kit from USAC. Make not a dime, but essentially lose money in a shot to qualify?

Or...stay on the East Coast. Race all the big resorts and make a paycheck every single weekend and drive only a few hours at most to a regional race that same weekend and make more bank.

If one of the ones I mentioned was on a full scale US travel team and made top 10 at Nationals, they could justify going. Team would pay for their flight, etc to go so they're not losing money.

I'm not saying any of them deserve to go. I'm just saying there isn't much justification for them to want to. :)
What is the justification for any of us? Those of us on the west coast had one chance to get points for the world cup, and that involved a 24 hour through the night drive to Colorado (from Seattle). I went half a country away to nationals, paid my own way, got 15th, didn't get the points I needed (needed 11th), went home empty handed.

I ended up petitioning for the final WC and got accepted earlier this week. Once again, paying my way, dropping everything, taking time off work last minute, all in an attempt to try and qualify for the finals.

We do it because we love to do it. Maybe it's chasing dreams that will never happen, but that's life. I've always wanted to race a world cup. I finally have that opportunity. I need to make a new life goal now. It's not about money, it's about the challenge. I know quite a few east coast guys in the same position. This sport is expensive and we deal with it. I'm working crazy amounts of overtime this week to fund my trip on top of numerous hours of training. I don't regret any of it.

Racing at the most important race in the world would be an amazing experience. Getting to represent your country on the national stage is a BIG deal. It's my next goal. It's also the goal of a number of other riders in this country. East coast, west coast, we all have to make sacrifices to get there. If the personal reward is worth it (to me it is) You'll do whatever you need to to go there.

-KT

fro biker

Monkey
Oct 18, 2006
in the sticks
thumbs up to thom9719. props man, way to make it happen.

and to those speculating about EC dudes racing Worlds at MSA: while racing the biggest race would be awesome for bragging rights, watching it and being a part of the spectacle from the other side of the tape is just as awesome, if not more awesome b/c you are not stressing and get to watch the best of the best instead of trying to keep up with them. MSA is the track that "separates the men from the boys"...the EC has some very strong contenders, but MSA is not a track (or the race this time around) to just give it a shot and see what you're made of. Show up, cheer and go ape $h!t as your favorite pro thunders by; that's what I'll be doing - especially bc for the first time in nearly a decade an American has a serious chance at becoming World Champ.

Banshee Rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2003

I can't think of any privateer that needs more justification than their own personal drive to compete in this caliber of event. Making it out to be all about money is pretty off base IMO. The reason they traveled to race national champs to begin with is so they had the priveledge to suddenly pay their way up to Canada. Had I been quick enough to qualify for such events back when I raced I would have gladly incurred heavy debt or loans to fund a short lived gauntlet of humiliation on the world stage - because its the world stage. Those paychecks at regional races don't even begin to put a dent in the expenses accumulated over the years spent getting to a competitive level, let alone to sustain it while there.

MFrider

Monkey
Jul 10, 2009
The East
What is the justification for any of us? Those of us on the west coast had one chance to get points for the world cup, and that involved a 24 hour through the night drive to Colorado (from Seattle). I went half a country away to nationals, paid my own way, got 15th, didn't get the points I needed (needed 11th), went home empty handed.

I ended up petitioning for the final WC and got accepted earlier this week. Once again, paying my way, dropping everything, taking time off work last minute, all in an attempt to try and qualify for the finals.

We do it because we love to do it. Maybe it's chasing dreams that will never happen, but that's life. I've always wanted to race a world cup. I finally have that opportunity. I need to make a new life goal now. It's not about money, it's about the challenge. I know quite a few east coast guys in the same position. This sport is expensive and we deal with it. I'm working crazy amounts of overtime this week to fund my trip on top of numerous hours of training. I don't regret any of it.

Racing at the most important race in the world would be an amazing experience. Getting to represent your country on the national stage is a BIG deal. It's my next goal. It's also the goal of a number of other riders in this country. East coast, west coast, we all have to make sacrifices to get there. If the personal reward is worth it (to me it is) You'll do whatever you need to to go there.

-KT
well said.:thumb:

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
Strobel got injured yesterday and since I do not know for sure, I won't say what I heard, but sounds like he might be out for worlds, so whos in now?

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
dear bizutch: the solution is easy: tell your east coast brethren to ride faster, and be more dedicated to DH riding, and it'll be great!

epic

Turbo Monkey
Sep 15, 2008
I'm just saying there isn't much justification for them to want to. :)
Hopefully any of them that could go would have a hunger to race against a strong international field of riders. That should be reason enough.

PArider29

Monkey
Jan 20, 2010
back to NC
Hopefully any of them that could go would have a hunger to race against a strong international field of riders. That should be reason enough.
Agreed! Though I think some of the GES pros did make the trip to Nationals, they just didn't get the results.

East Coast definately needs some more races from a real quality series like Pro GRT that pulls in the bigger PROs - I mean look at the PRoGRT at Platty except for Beneke there was no one from the East Coast in the top 20.
good way to push you to that next level.

any way congrats to those Selected and Goodluck!

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008

-KT
Respect! :thumb:

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
but seriously, wait a second here: bizutch: you're bitching and moaning how no east coasters get to go, while at the SAME time bitching about how they wouldn't make money and they shouldn't bother and they should just race a regional race instead, even if they COULD go?

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Cut up my rant any way you want to prove a certain point or take a shot at me one way or another. It's all good. I'm just participating in the discussion. Dude that qualified made a good argument for his reason to go for it. Others make good arguments as well.

Any thoughts as to why East Coast has the terrain, but not the results at bigger events other than Neko or Gerrit?

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
Cut up my rant any way you want to prove a certain point or take a shot at me one way or another. It's all good. I'm just participating in the discussion. Dude that qualified made a good argument for his reason to go for it. Others make good arguments as well.

Any thoughts as to why East Coast has the terrain, but not the results at bigger events other than Neko or Gerrit?
because other places of terrain too