Quantcast

Utah hates queers

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
link

Utah Theater Cancels 'Brokeback Mountain'

"I just think (pulling the show) tells the young people especially that maybe there is something wrong with this show," she said.
Am I overly concerned or is this just taking a step backwards, a step back to when it was "ok" to beat queers to death?

Should an organizations agenda take priority over the consequences of the opposite reaction. In other words, if kids take the idea that being gay is so wrong that they persecute queers, does this organization have a responsibility in wherever said persecution leads.

Sorry for rambling, brain ain't on too good. But if a parent is partially responsible for thier kid getting ahold of the family gun and killing someone, shouldn't the church be responsible for thier preachings?

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
I am constantly suprised by the overt nature of homophobia in some parts of America. It's so irrational... You'd think it was a disease you could catch or something.

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
While I mey not agree with his decision, the theatre is his property and he has every right to show the movies he chooses.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Tenchiro said:
While I mey not agree with his decision, the theatre is his property and he has every right to show the movies he chooses.
He's probably signed some agreement with the distributors though, so he may be in danger of loosing that. Good.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Men should not be having sex with other men, it's that simple.

They should be having sex with 12 year old girls, preferably as their fifth or sixth wife. Jesus, people are so immoral these days. What must the young people think?

Damn True

Monkey Pimp
Sep 10, 2001
Between a rock and a hard place.
The film has been open for quite a few weeks now. Gotta wonder if there isn't an element of "business decision" involved. The article dosen't mention it, but I'd be curious to know if perhaps the move had already been playing in nearby cities and not done very well. Did a quick google and wasn't able to find it in any theatre in Sandy. Though it is playing in two locations in Salt Lake, also in Park City and Jordan. There might simply not be enough people interested in it (because of the obdvious) in that area to support it vs. another film.

I'm sure Dust to Glory did better in LA and San Diego than it might have done in Bangor Maine.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Yeah...Utah has a thing for hating edit: gay people. Really sucks.

Mostly headed by this guy. It wouldn't shock me if someone put a round between his eyes, however, that's how a good half of Utah thinks...We're as bad as the goddamned South when it comes to tolerance and taking care of our kids.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Damn True said:
The film has been open for quite a few weeks now. Gotta wonder if there isn't an element of "business decision" involved. The article dosen't mention it, but I'd be curious to know if perhaps the move had already been playing in nearby cities and not done very well. Did a quick google and wasn't able to find it in any theatre in Sandy. Though it is playing in two locations in Salt Lake, also in Park City and Jordan. There might simply not be enough people interested in it (because of the obdvious) in that area to support it vs. another film.
Actually, the art theater next to my work downtown has had the most business ever with Brokeback. Link to news story:
http://www.ksl.com/index.php?sid=147446&nid=148

Salt Lake City (The city itself, not the burbs) is actually quite "liberal". The one bastion of hope for Utah. :p

Damn True

Monkey Pimp
Sep 10, 2001
blue said:
Actually, the art theater next to my work downtown has had the most business ever with Brokeback. Link to news story:
http://www.ksl.com/index.php?sid=147446&nid=148

Salt Lake City (The city itself, not the burbs) is actually quite "liberal". The one bastion of hope for Utah. :p

Well that would explain why it is running in two theatres in SLC and one in nearby Park City. Whereas in a much more "conservative" town like Sandy, there might not be all that many folks lined up to see it.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Damn True said:
Well that would explain why it is running in two theatres in SLC and one in nearby Park City. Whereas in a much more "conservative" town like Sandy, there might not be all that many folks lined up to see it.
Eh, I don't think it would generate the same level of interest as say, the Broadway downtown, but it would have the same level of interest as any other basic film that was shown there. If it was such a horrible business decision to run it in the first place, why did LHM book it, and why did he screw himself out of a distro deal by cancelling the hour before the showing?

This is Utah. There's already a precedent... :rolleyes:

Damn True

Monkey Pimp
Sep 10, 2001
Well if I had to guess I'd say that he probably booked it because of the buzz and acclaim surrounding the movie pre-release. He probably cancelled it because he realized he would sell about 4 tickets to it in that town.

One poorly thought out initial decision, and one poorly timed.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Burly I know you're getting hard just thinking about it. Especially with the spurs and all, you big man-lover. I mean, you've got a NFL player as your avatar, and that's like the most homo thing ever! :D

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Damn True said:
Well if I had to guess I'd say that he probably booked it because of the buzz and acclaim surrounding the movie pre-release. He probably cancelled it because he realized he would sell about 4 tickets to it in that town.

One poorly thought out initial decision, and one poorly timed.
Dude, the article specifically said it was about the content and not a business decision.

Burly, if you can get past the gayness of the movie, it's actually a great flick.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
untitledsince89 said:
yea **** homophobic people, let people do what they want, its america
but hey GW Bush is in office so soon enough he'll take away everyones rights
It's funny to see a liberal comment coming from W-S, NC.

When I showed up with my then-g/f (now ex-wife) in Rocky Mount, NC (1989), the people there were shocked to meet a jew. One guy actually asked me where my horns were.

Damn True

Monkey Pimp
Sep 10, 2001
LordOpie said:
Dude, the article specifically said it was about the content and not a business decision.

No, no it dosen't.

There is no quote from Larry Miller, the theatre owner.
The manager, Cal Gunderson declined comment.

The only direct quotes were from two other people not connected with the theatre or the decision:
Gayle Ruzicka, president of the conservative Utah Eagle Forum, said not showing the film set an example for the people of Utah.

"I just think (pulling the show) tells the young people especially that maybe there is something wrong with this show," she said.

Mike Thompson, executive director of the gay rights advocacy group Equality Utah, called it disappointing.

"It's just a shame that such a beautiful and award-winning film with so much buzz about it is not being made available to a broad Utah audience because of personal bias," he said.
Reading is fundamental.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Silence by the principles is guilt enough. If it was ANY reason other than homophobia, they'd have specifically said so. If it was a business decision, they would've clearly said so.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
You align yourself with Gayle Ruzicka, you align yourself with the reincarnation of Hitler. That is all.

And to claim this was a business decision is complete bull. Larry Miller's not a dip****, he knew what he was booking. Someone pulled his strings. Church leaders=gods in Utah. You have to live here to get it. Continue with your nonsensical babblings, DT.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I read in a gay travel magazine (no I am not gay, and yes, gays love to travel), that SLC is a sleeper destination for gays. So I am not surprised a SLC theatre is doing great with Brokeback.

As for a private theatre in Sandy. Well, I am not going there to protest, but I am never going there period.

Damn True

Monkey Pimp
Sep 10, 2001
LordOpie said:
Silence by the principles is guilt enough. If it was ANY reason other than homophobia, they'd have specifically said so. If it was a business decision, they would've clearly said so.
Wow, that is just some super logic Opie. Let's just go ahead and get rid of proof and fact in the future since you have pinned down this method of looking into peoples brains.

Just for giggles:

Brokeback Mountain is playing in 483 theatres nationwide and pulled $5.3M over the last week.

By comparison:
Hostel: 2,195 screens and $20.1M
Chronicles of Narnia 3,800 screens (in it's 5th week) $15.4M
King Kong: 3,500 screens (4th week) $12.5M
Fun with Dick & Jane 3,056 screens $12.2M

So yeah, it would have been a totally solid business decision to run Brokeback Mountain instead of one of the above. Now I'm not saying Brokeback Mountain is a bad movie though I hear the story has some holes in it (pun not intended but left for comedic purposes) it is highly acclaimed and tremendously succesful in limited markets. But it seems to me that the owner might (and I said might at the begining of this discussion) have realized that the film would have "limited appeal" in the town of Sandy, UT and made a decision to run something more commercially viable in that market.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Damn True said:
So yeah, it would have been a totally solid business decision to run Brokeback Mountain instead of one of the above. Now I'm not saying Brokeback Mountain is a bad movie though I hear the story has some holes in it (pun not intended but left for comedic purposes) it is highly acclaimed and tremendously succesful in limited markets. But it seems to me that the owner might (and I said might at the begining of this discussion) have realized that the film would have "limited appeal" in the town of Sandy, UT and made a decision to run something more commercially viable in that market.
Sandy isn't exactly a town. The market consists of the whole valley (more or less the south end), which approximately consists of 1.2-1.3 million people. People drive from anywhere in Salt Lake (When I say Salt Lake, I mean the Salt Lake valley) to go to Jordan Commons to see movies there. This isn't some podunk market you're thinking, and Jordan Commons is a 17 or 18 screen multiplex. You really have no ground to stand on at all with this arguement...you know nothing of the market you speak of, nor do you apparently know anything about the theater it was slated to be shown in.

ALSO:

9 Brokeback Mountain $5,750,000
10 The Family Stone $4,625,000
11 The Ringer $4,400,000
12 Casanova $4,014,000

The bottom three being shown where? What was that? The same weekend Brokeback was supposed to? The Megaplex 17 at Jordan Commons, owned by Larry H. Miller, DARE YOU SAY?!

Please sit down, and shut up. That is all.

fluff

Monkey Turbo
Sep 8, 2001
Feeling the lag
LordOpie said:
Jeez Opie, that's the same logic employed by Dubya and his boys... if you're not with us you're against us etc. There could be many reasons why no quote is present, possibly even judicious journalistic editing to produce a biased view to generate a more scandalous article.

Old Man G Funk

Choir Boy
Nov 21, 2005
In a handbasket
Damn True said:
Just for giggles:

Brokeback Mountain is playing in 483 theatres nationwide and pulled $5.3M over the last week.

By comparison:
Hostel: 2,195 screens and $20.1M
Chronicles of Narnia 3,800 screens (in it's 5th week) $15.4M
King Kong: 3,500 screens (4th week) $12.5M
Fun with Dick & Jane 3,056 screens $12.2M
Just for giggles, I thought I would look at the amount of money the films made per theater.

Brokeback Mountain makes about $10,973
Hostel makes about $9,157
Chronicles makes about $4,053
Kong makes about $3,571
Dick and Jane makes about $3,992

I can see how it would be a horrendously poor investment to go with a film that pulls down more money per showing....

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
fluff said:
Jeez Opie, that's the same logic employed by Dubya and his boys... if you're not with us you're against us etc. There could be many reasons why no quote is present, possibly even judicious journalistic editing to produce a biased view to generate a more scandalous article.
i'll give you the possibility of the journalistic slant, but if any of y'all know business/public relations at all, you know you don't make a move like this without justification. It's bad PR... unless the move appeals to the target audience you're most interested in. Whether the theater owners are homophobic or not, they caved to religious pressure.

I'm in marketing and when it comes to PR, silence is guilt or admission of an inability to spin it properly.

fluff

Monkey Turbo
Sep 8, 2001
Feeling the lag
LordOpie said:
i'll give you the possibility of the journalistic slant, but if any of y'all know business/public relations at all, you know you don't make a move like this without justification. It's bad PR... unless the move appeals to the target audience you're most interested in. Whether the theater owners are homophobic or not, they caved to religious pressure.

I'm in marketing and when it comes to PR, silence is guilt or admission of an inability to spin it properly.
I'll grant you that you are probably right, but you are making an assumption and could be incorrect. Also bear in mind that the issue has been brought to light by the 'wronged' parties aho stand to make most benefit by highlighting presumed prejudice.