Quantcast

Val di Sole finals

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
Intense's anual DH bike sales double

to two
I gotta admit, I got a used 951 evo because (and this is true) it was cheap, and I was able to get it for $1100. But, I've been very pleasantly surprised by the thing. It handles super well - very smooth on the chatter, great traction on the rough stuff without feeling too rough, keeps its composure pretty well, and is a blast to jump. It's pretty much exactly what I want in a DH bike that I'm trying to just go have fun on.

Course it's a 2015 and it's before they moved to costco, but after spending years shitting on Intense, I've been pleasantly surprised and need to eat some crow.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Greenland had a huge crash too. Brutal track.
Listening to Downtime this morning on the drive to work. Apparently Brook just noped out of racing saying he wasn't feeling committed and VDS being basically impossible to ride unless you're totally fearless.

Sounds like the track is so rough these days that a lot of the riders aren't really enjoying it, just surviving it. Neko essentially saying the riders think it needs a bit of a rest and some repair.

Also, Camille apparently velcro'ed her hand to the bar to get down! WTF?! Wild.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Listening to Downtime this morning on the drive to work. Apparently Brook just noped out of racing saying he wasn't feeling committed and VDS being basically impossible to ride unless you're totally fearless.

Funny coming from a guy doing Hardline next week. Which goes to show that it is more of an invitational demonstration than a real race.

aaronjb

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2010
Re: Camille and Velcro: A few years ago Gee did something similar with his hand on the bar/grip.

Earnest question: Does that violate any UCI rules?

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Re: Camille and Velcro: A few years ago Gee did something similar with his hand on the bar/grip.

Earnest question: Does that violate any UCI rules?
Neko said he used tree sap to make his glove stick to the bar when he had a hand injury. My guess is it wouldn't violate any UCI rule - they let riders run SPDs which are a mechanical attachment. Don't think they'd be too fussed on it.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
two men enter

one man leave

Just another day in the life of the best, most well suited material for handlebars

Last two times I crashed like that I dislocated a shoulder and severed the Ulnar Collateral Ligament in my thumb. Perhaps a fuse that breaks before I do is a good idea. I'm pretty fragile so perhaps some paper mache handlebars are in order.

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Sounds like the track is so rough these days that a lot of the riders aren't really enjoying it, just surviving it. Neko essentially saying the riders think it needs a bit of a rest and some repair.
To further reiterate the state of the track, at the start of his recap video Cathro mentions 16% of the riders DNSed which has gotta be some kind of record.

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
@Avy
As a side note about helmet. A helmet has 2 main functions: protect against mechanical damage (so that you don't crush your skull, jaw, nose on impact) and limit the deceleration force applied to your brain by the impact (so that you limit the risk of having a concussion).
A heavier helmet can be better for mechanical damage but it will be worse for concussion since more weight means more force on the brain for a given deceleration. The key for lowering risk of concussion is to reduce the peak value of the deceleration, it can be done by lowering the weight of the helmet, it can also be done by spreading the impact over a longer period.
And trust me, I am an armchair engineer with long time experience of TBI :D

Bike078

Monkey
Jan 11, 2018
Rob Warner got quite emotional at the end of the Val di Sole XCO broadcast. The entire broadcasting crew gathered to say farewell and thanks.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
To further reiterate the state of the track, at the start of his recap video Cathro mentions 16% of the riders DNSed which has gotta be some kind of record.
And the track was hard on the body with a lot of flat landings of small drops when it was new. I remember talking to some local pros who tried to qualify (not sure if they did) the first time it was on the circuit and they said it's not really a fun track to ride. It's great from our POV to watch but they said it's rough in a very awkward way.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
I gotta admit, I got a used 951 evo because (and this is true) it was cheap, and I was able to get it for $1100. But, I've been very pleasantly surprised by the thing. It handles super well - very smooth on the chatter, great traction on the rough stuff without feeling too rough, keeps its composure pretty well, and is a blast to jump. It's pretty much exactly what I want in a DH bike that I'm trying to just go have fun on.

Course it's a 2015 and it's before they moved to costco, but after spending years shitting on Intense, I've been pleasantly surprised and need to eat some crow.
I think that was also after they fixed their random geometry and wonky chainstay issues that plagued their bikes a few years later. They used to be super popular here but they were badly build

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Let's not get too carried away with stat man's data.
THREE Elite men DNS!
ONE Elite woman DNS

Love Cathro but now he's churning out content for Pinkbike the post race analysis is in danger of becoming as dull as post match football discussion.

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Let's not get too carried away with stat man's data.
THREE Elite men DNS!
ONE Elite woman DNS

Love Cathro but now he's churning out content for Pinkbike the post race analysis is in danger of becoming as dull as post match football discussion.
Nah man, DNS'ed from Qualifications as well. Only four DNS'ed on the finals. The rest didn't make qualifications start gate.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
This one night. I didn't make it to the pub.
I'm not sure if anyone bothered working out how that effected the bar but hopefully someone worked it out as a percentage.