Quantcast

WC#6 Val D' Isere (FRA)

BigBoi

Monkey
Oct 31, 2011
Long Island, NY
Bummer.

Thumb injuries are fvcking stupid injuries. I had one last year. You are fine with everything, able to work, do other sports etc. But if you grab the handlebar of your bike the pain starts. You just can't hold on.
The badest thing is that they last long too.:mad:

It's definitely not his season. Hopefully he's able to get back in the top ten next season.
Broke my thumb at Mtn creek 3 weeks ago. Cancelled my trip to snowshoe last weekend. Headed to CO to visit family and friends next week, now w/out the bike. Pins and cast removed aug 20th. I'm dying to get a few more days in.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Yeah the thumb thing really blows. I broke my thumb (tendon ripped off and took the bone with it..) about two years ago and it pretty much took out my entire summer. It wasn't even that it hurt much, you just literally can't doing anything when your thumb isn't stable.

This track looks awesome, I can't wait to watch. Hoping to see Smith up there!

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Yeah the thumb thing really blows. I broke my thumb (tendon ripped off and took the bone with it..) about two years ago and it pretty much took out my entire summer. It wasn't even that it hurt much, you just literally can't doing anything when your thumb isn't stable.

This track looks awesome, I can't wait to watch. Hoping to see Smith up there!
I used to ride with my hand bandaged to hell and back so I could grip my bars after I killed the joint in my thumb. Half of the summer required me to put it super tight at the start of the run and taking the bandages off so I have some bloodflow. I have to say it was annoying.

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
Does it really make sense to hit the big last finish line drop vs hitting the smaller version to the right?
The right looked a little harder to get too.....at least from the limited pics out there.

I was wondering if that grass gets soaked and slimey how that landing is going to be, off the bigger one...

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Why, Windham makes for great racing, I think.
Why would this course or any other not be great racing? I think the level of the competition makes for great racing, but I just expect bigger, badder, longer, steeper, gnarlier, etc. for the WORLD CUP.

Its just my perception based on videos and pictures.

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
After looking at that track, it further reenforces my embarrassment that Windham was the US's WC track.
Maybe DH is doomed. You've raced forever and think the track is lame. What is the general population going to think....?

I was there last and this year. Thought the course was really good. Was fast, required courage, technical, woodsy, plenty rocky - the fitness element on that track is power. Saw Bronson in the open section (last year), was fastest i've ever seen a Human on a bike......Brendog trying to hold his wheel was way out of his element...

Got home and watched it on Freecaster, they could not have done a worse job covering it. This year was a bit better....

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
It's too bad that Ridemonkey didn't like Windham because the pros and media loved it.
I hope next year's Ridemonkey round of the Worldcup will be a real shimZ test on teh roxx.

Verskis

Monkey
May 14, 2010
Tampere, Finland
Why would this course or any other not be great racing? I think the level of the competition makes for great racing, but I just expect bigger, badder, longer, steeper, gnarlier, etc. for the WORLD CUP.

Its just my perception based on videos and pictures.
Well, I think I used a wrong word, I meant that the Windham course makes great TV action. At least I enjoyed the Windham race coverage on Red Bull TV, the cameras were placed very good and the speed of the riders looked very fast even on the tiny iPad screen. Even the sprint to the finish line was a little more exciting now that the huge jump was there.

But I also think that some courses make the actual racing less exciting, the first example that comes to my mind is the PMB track, the pedaling sections in the middle and in the end are so dominant that to me it feels like the first part of the track is almost pointless regarding the race results.
The PMB track does not look good on the TV either, even if the speeds are high it doesn't look like that and the last part of the track, where most of the live coverage is filmed, is pretty boring to watch.

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
Minnaar has some comments (negative) about this track up on Dirtmag.

Also, that roof drop has been removed.

fred.r

Dwangus Bogans
May 9, 2006
Sounds like they might have taken the big drop out mid track?
Edit: nevermind. Sounds like they've take a drop out, but not the big one off the building.
Double edit: was right the first time.

Last edited:

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
After looking at that track, it further reenforces my embarrassment that Windham was the US's WC track.
Why you hating on Windham? I mean, I LOVE to hate on the East Coast and even I thought that track was great racing. Crazy fast, big ass jumps, reasonably open for cameras. Some good carnage too. My heart was pounding seeing how fast those guys were going on that track, scary stuff. Times were super tight too. I don't see what else you'd want from a "standard" kind of WC track? Not everything needs to be like Champery. Although it's good to have a track or two like champery every year.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Why you hating on Windham?
My perception was that its not up to WC standards, whatever that means. I see these tracks like Champery, Val de Sole, Shladming, Mt. St. Anne, Ft. Bill, etc. and the grandeur, steepness, views, length, roughness just takes my breath away. Personally I'm not sure I could ride down those tracks let alone race them at any level.

Then there is Windham. I can't say I have the same feeling. If I was putting on a US WC, I'd make sure it could live up to the standards set by the likes of the tracks I mentioned.

In 10 years few will remember Windham. Champery on the other hand...

I just think the worlds best racers should race on a different level track.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
Then there is Windham. I can't say I have the same feeling. If I was putting on a US WC, I'd make sure it could live up to the standards set by the likes of the tracks I mentioned.
True it's not as visually impressive or technically intimidating. But I don't think that's always what makes a good WC race track. It was fast, REALLY fast, and really big jumps. It was entertaining to watch and good close times. I think that makes up for the lack of totally vertical sustained chutes and crazy tech sections.

jasride

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2006
PA
Windham was a killer track. Super fast most of the way for such a short track for WC. And all the jumps seemed to be in great locations. I know the middle road gap wasn't on the live feed but it should or could have been. It was super fast through that section and camera angle would have made it even more Knar! It was super fast even through the tech sections. And looking at the helmet cams of this weeks track id way rather ride Windham. But it's World Cup and variety is the spice of life!

Jun 1, 2011
Denver
True it's not as visually impressive or technically intimidating. But I don't think that's always what makes a good WC race track. It was fast, REALLY fast, and really big jumps. It was entertaining to watch and good close times. I think that makes up for the lack of totally vertical sustained chutes and crazy tech sections.
So it's a wanna be Willingen then? :D I agree that Windham is fun to watch

I love the look of this track, and tracks like champery, schlaming and that sort. Steep and rough, but I am fail to think of any US track that fits those criteria. Maybe the old NORBA track in Idaho? Just trying to come up with what the American MSA type track would be. Maybe Durango?

*Disclaimer: I have never ridden at any of the these locations and am solely basing my judgement off of video

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
Not enough speed out of the right hander in front of the drop?
2:30 for Spagnolo. Hmmmm, the track is a bit short I think?!

Saw the pics on pinkbike right now. Bulldog still 12th in the overalls after all these crashes? Didn't not crash only in MSA? If that dude could hold it together, he definitely could beat some of the big contenders.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
So it's a wanna be Willingen then? :D I agree that Windham is fun to watch

I love the look of this track, and tracks like champery, schlaming and that sort. Steep and rough, but I am fail to think of any US track that fits those criteria. Maybe the old NORBA track in Idaho? Just trying to come up with what the American MSA type track would be.

Upper Velocity (continuing on to Chainsmoke) at Mammoth is the only thing close, maybe Schweitzer too in Idaho. But even Upper Velocoty/Chainsmoke isn't THAT steep. But I'm still convinced Mammoth could make an incredible steep, WC caliber course. I will remain foolishly hopeful that it will happen one day.

DH Dad

Monkey
Jun 12, 2002
MA
Upper Velocity (continuing on to Chainsmoke) at Mammoth is the only thing close, maybe Schweitzer too in Idaho. But even Upper Velocoty/Chainsmoke isn't THAT steep. But I'm still convinced Mammoth could make an incredible steep, WC caliber course. I will remain foolishly hopeful that it will happen one day.
What about the old Worlds courses at Vail or Durango?

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Angle Fire?

But why not have variety? I think it is good to have Windham, Champery, Canberra, Val di Sole etc. in one season. The best rider will win and with a variety of courses it will be a rider that has all-round skills.

It would be awesome to have more races and bring in some 'weird' ones as well like a Kamikaze style super high speed race and an urban downhill.

Pegboy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2003
New Hamp-sha
I lived in Vail and neither of the WC courses were steep. The '01 Worlds course had a steep section right before the finish...and yes it was damn steep, but it was only a 100 yds or so of the course.

My oppinion, the tracks should be different and when they are it truely shows who the best overall rider is at the end of the season. You can find steep faces on almost any mountain in almost any state but to design a course with steepness as the main objective is kind of rediculous.

It doesn't seem to be an issue with any of the actual athletes...just bring a WC to the US, that is what matters.

BigBoi

Monkey
Oct 31, 2011
Long Island, NY
Colorado would be a good place to start. Pretty much anywhere with a lot of steep vertical.
Wyoming, Montana, New Mexico, Utah, Idaho....The Rockies are pretty bad a$$! That John Denver is NOT full of sh!t.