Quantcast

***Wednesderp GMT***

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
oh god we're all gonna die, bernie plz save us

wife came home from cali to rescue me, then proceeded to get wicked sick and has been out two days. Now I feel like I might be getting sick again and get the feeling that I won't get any sympathy, because MAN FLU. Oh well. Looks like my parts have finally been dispatched from Gurmany so I can build up roadbike 2.0 soon.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

wife came home from cali to rescue me, then proceeded to get wicked sick and has been out two days. Now I feel like I might be getting sick again and get the feeling that I won't get any sympathy, because MAN FLU. Oh well. Looks like my parts have finally been dispatched from Gurmany so I can build up roadbike 2.0 soon.
how i picture your house right now:

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008

Wu-Tang Corona Flu :(

Make sure you have plenty of limes for all those Corona's.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Morning Monkeys.

Got my lineup for Friday's interview and I feel pretty good about it. Should here back with date/time on #2. After doing some research, #3 might be out. I would rather stay in software rather than do infrastructure. I mean, kubernetes are cool and all (the name alone is funny), it's more infrastructure than software.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Mornin!

Interview #4 today at the "dress casually" place. We shall see, on the surface it might appear to be my last choice but you never know, it could be pretty cool.

On the flip side, still trying to motivate the other employers to get me an offer before I have to make a decision. VP of engineering responded to my thank you note positively last night, so that's a good sign, right?

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
What percentage of people on the road across this country really know how to drive? What percentage today aren't fucking around with their cell phone or looking in their visor mirror while applying makeup?
make up....no

cell phone....shut off in car

know how to drive.....only uses left lane to pass

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
What percentage of people on the road across this country really know how to drive? What percentage today aren't fucking around with their cell phone or looking in their visor mirror while applying makeup?
Check out Ontario's distracted driving law. It's quite strict now and headed in the correct direction.. though all the time you see people using their cell phone and whatnot.

• First conviction:
    • a fine of $615, if settled out of court (includes a victim surcharge and the court fee)
    • a fine of up to $1,000 if a summons is received or if you fight the ticket in court and lose
    • three demerit points
    • 3-day suspension
  • Second conviction
    • a fine of $615, if settled out of court (includes a victim surcharge and the court fee)
    • a fine of up to $2,000 if a summons is received or if you fight the ticket in court and lose
    • six demerit points
    • 7-day suspension
  • Third and any further conviction(s)
    • a fine of up to $3,000 if a summons is received or if you fight the ticket in court and lose
    • six demerit points
    • 30-day suspension
Truck drivers here came under a lot of scrutiny here over the last few years for distracted driving. They were causing accidents all over the place and plowing into each other. Literally:

The following crash was I believe partially blamed on a distracted truck driver running into the back of another truck. One of them happened to be a fuel truck. There are trails right next to where this happened and you can still smell the fuel that leaked out into the forest, years later.

I also think part of the problem are the vehicles themselves these days. Some cars have simple things like climate controls and whatnot embedded in their touch screen menus. How is that not distracting compared to moving a physical button or knob?

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
what blows my mind is when i see people wearing full on over the ear headphones when they're driving.
and the difference between over ear headphones and assholes driving around witheir stereos turned all the way up is.....neither one can hear shit

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I also think part of the problem are the vehicles themselves these days. Some cars have simple things like climate controls and whatnot embedded in their touch screen menus. How is that not distracting compared to moving a physical button or knob?
Rule for any car we get is physical climate control and if possible radio controls. Climate control is a minimum though. We walked from a few cars because of it when we were shopping for Wifey.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Here. Work. Ordered new under body plates for Subaru yesterday. I changed the oil over the weekend and one of the panels was gone. I'm assuming it was related to a snow bank. New metal plates from bumper to back of transmission should provide protection from ice chunks and not get torn off going forward.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Have you tried a nice Indica? :drag:
:think:

Morning Monkeys.

Got my lineup for Friday's interview and I feel pretty good about it. Should here back with date/time on #2. After doing some research, #3 might be out. I would rather stay in software rather than do infrastructure. I mean, kubernetes are cool and all (the name alone is funny), it's more infrastructure than software.
FWIW, Docker/Kubernetes are hot topics among our engineers and the VP. App engineers / architects, not devops. But, I am assuming as soon as they get comfy, this will be handed over to the infrastructure peoples. Those are hot skills nowadays though.

shouldn't new englanders be used to that shit...it's not like you have a bunch of texas transplants living there...
Yeah, Vermonters are particularly "good" drivers. JBP does not count as he is a trained former Masshole. :D

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
:think:

FWIW, Docker/Kubernetes are hot topics among our engineers and the VP. App engineers / architects, not devops. But, I am assuming as soon as they get comfy, this will be handed over to the infrastructure peoples. Those are hot skills nowadays tho
I had only looked at Docker, I had never ever heard of kubernetes before (felt old). Don't get me started on Elk Stack. :panic:

#3 is a weird spot, but it's interesting. It's a company I was introduced to a month after I moved here ('93) because they make electric test equipment and I was an electronics major.

Turns out they built a warehouse, customer management, shipping status tracker app/infrastructure because they could build it how they wanted. Turns out it was so bad ass they got bought just so the parent company could use it.

But its all home built with a small engineering team.

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
One of my ol' lady's yoga students brought her some Kona beans back from HI. sipping that & reading the news & doing internet stuff.
At my 8:30 meeting taht was supposed to be a contract re-negotiation turned into a me packing up & leaving for 3 mos while they transisition into the new building. -_-
I picked a helluva day to quit sniffing glue.
Now I am going to go buy new running shoes & try & break them in gently.
Skiing mañana. Yay!

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Also 4 people listed for a 90 minute interview. Not sure if it is speed dating style, or awkward round table.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Rule for any car we get is physical climate control and if possible radio controls. Climate control is a minimum though. We walked from a few cars because of it when we were shopping for Wifey.
i would love to be able to shut the controls off on my steering wheel as i am always hitting them and rarely use them....