Quantcast

Weight Weenies...

bballe336

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2005
MA
I only get alot of flats when I ride downieville, and I throw on DH tires then. More important in a wheel build than the rim is the wheel builder, and my wheels were built by one of the best wheel builders there are. I have a set of outlaws that I TRASHED in literaly 2 rides, while my 5.1s on the other hand are holding up fine.

O an I do break stuff, I snaped an isis spindle, tore the b ead off of a sidewall on a tire, and bent a frame.
You're running XC spokes and AM rims. You must not be riding anything that rough. Because there is no way those wheels would stand up to the likes of northstar or durango.

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
You're running XC spokes and AM rims. You must not be riding anything that rough. Because there is no way those wheels would stand up to the likes of northstar or durango.
peat runs the sapims, and to be quite honest they work realy well for DH, and I Can't ride the start being that it was closed all seasosn. When I was riding there I was never breaking stuff, exept roters and derailers

A.P

Monkey
Nov 21, 2005
boston
the sapim spokes are rated for downhill use, according to the manufacturer. Plenty of dh guys run them...

face it, not everyone is a hack.

MorewoodKid

Monkey
Sep 14, 2006
In the woods...
DT also have a slightly bladed spoke that the DT sponsored riders have been running. The "Aerolite" is not a gravity specific spoke, but they have been holding up well on the race circuit from what I am heard. I stand to be corrected, but I believe these are the spokes used on the 1750 wheelset.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
holy crap - those DT 5.1 rims are 28mm wide and 500grams. I'm not sure about you folks, but I'd have serious concerns riding a rim with those dimensions. How long do they last on a serious DH run?

I like riding a light bike, but I also like riding. Owning a bike that has compromised it's durability to shave weight seems a bit silly to me. I'd rather ride with 2lbs more weight than carry a bike that's 2lbs lighter but has taco'ed rims and broken cranks.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
In all fairness, bedroom to living room walking is pretty tough on bikes... leave him alone.

DT also have a slightly bladed spoke that the DT sponsored riders have been running. The "Aerolite" is not a gravity specific spoke, but they have been holding up well on the race circuit from what I am heard. I stand to be corrected, but I believe these are the spokes used on the 1750 wheelset.
This one is interesting - i'm glad someone brought it up.
The aerolite has identical dimensions to the CX-Ray on paper, which leads me to believe it should be as durable and suitable for DH as that is. The DT site doesn't say anything against use for that either.

Do you know how the aerolites compare in price to the CXRay? I was hoping the aerolite would be cheaper, opening up a poor-mans-cxray option. :)

jvnixon

Turbo Monkey
May 14, 2006
SickLines.com
I'm pretty sure the dt-aerolights are similarly priced if they're the same spokes i was invesigating earlier this summer. Someone can verify this but i'm pretty sure they're about the same price unfortunately.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Yeah I would have thought they'd be a little cheaper at least, with DT being a much larger company.

I might get em priced up just for kicks... one thing I like about the idea of bladed spokes is being able to relieve twist visually (and/or hold them to prevent twist while tensioning), rather than trying to do it by feel. That and a decent weight saving, not sure if the stiffness loss would be noticeable or not though.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Plus aerodynamic advantage. Although it's slight, according to my roadie boss 20mph+ is when you start to feel drag, and on a DH run that's easily hit.

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
holy crap - those DT 5.1 rims are 28mm wide and 500grams. I'm not sure about you folks, but I'd have serious concerns riding a rim with those dimensions. How long do they last on a serious DH run?
hill & peaty have been running them this year. i'm sure they're not going to last a full season, but if they're confident enough to race on them i wouldn't worry about them grenading. you can get away with using a surprisingly light rim with a decent build.

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
hill & peaty have been running them this year. i'm sure they're not going to last a full season, but if they're confident enough to race on them i wouldn't worry about them grenading. you can get away with using a surprisingly light rim with a decent build.
But like the marketing they probably like that they dent instead of flatting,they get a new wheel everytime one comes back dented,at least for racing.
Bike products unfortunatelly are becoming much more race orientated,designed to get you down with nice lightness and efficiency but not designed to last. Good if you can afford it and are at the top and need that little bit extra but not good for the poor suckers that copy and idalise what the pros are running,you wouldn't expect a F1 car engine to last for long if you put it in your pick up.then there's the whole "but they're sponsered"argument ,but that's been flogged enough.Todays bikes and parts are still a step up from years gone by but they can go bigger/faster now so it's all relative.
You can acheive light and strong,but the balance is learnt by experience or listening to others experience(hard to trust),5.1s have bad reviews,I've not run them but I'd trust the reviews of some believable people on here to just stick with Mavic.
Sorry for the derailed rant.

black noise

Turbo Monkey
Dec 31, 2004
Santa Cruz
Holy cow get off TheMontashu's back. Why do you guys care? Light bikes are his thing, get over it. It's not your problem if he's full of bs or if his bike falls apart.

I'd just like to say that he's a cool guy, I've ridden with him before, and yes his bike is very light. Personally I'm just happy to have another cool guy on the trails regardless of how he puts his bike together.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Holy cow get off TheMontashu's back. Why do you guys care? Light bikes are his thing, get over it. It's not your problem if he's full of bs or if his bike falls apart.

I'd just like to say that he's a cool guy, I've ridden with him before, and yes his bike is very light. Personally I'm just happy to have another cool guy on the trails regardless of how he puts his bike together.
Ah mate, I'm just poking fun. I'm jealous as to be honest... It's be ace to have a DH bike that light.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
They should be stiffer... :huh:
The bladed spokes are going to have more give (stretch) than most non-bladed spokes. This has nothing to do with the shape per se, it is direct corelation to the cross sectional area of the spoke at the smallest part.

I have ridden revolutions a bit and they are very similar to some of the bladed spokes in cross section. The lack of flex was quite noticable in the rear when I went to a beefier spoke.
I would DEFINATELY shy away from any super light spoke for the drive side rear (assuming a non-dishless wheel to some extent) due to the MUCH higher tensions on those spokes. Also, the same flex in those spokes (as at some other location) will allow more lateral deflection due to spoke geometry.

SPDR

Monkey
Apr 21, 2006
Engerland
Blimey, there's a lot of getting at The Montashu on here.

Ok so his "downhill" bike is built up with cross country parts and maybe he shouldn't be bringing it up as a "light DH build" because it isn't (it's more a trail bike with a DH frame and fork) but give the guy a break. ;)

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
He'll be getting lots of breaks. Nah I'm in the same boat as him,I'm running carbon bars and Titanium spokes(mistake=Flex)and a single track rim,non of these are strong but they are light and I thought I'd risk it. Light bikes are heaps better for light guys like myself to chuck about.

MorewoodKid

Monkey
Sep 14, 2006
In the woods...
Getting back on the topic... :biggrin:

Here's the spec of my new beaut which I need to part with for the next little while unfortunately...

• Frame: Morewood Shova LT (Small)- 190mm Travel
  • Fork: Manitou Travis Triple Ti 180mm
  • Stem: Manitou MRD Crown
  • Rear Shock: Cane Creek Double Barrel- 400lb Ti Spring
  • Headset: Cane Creek Double XC/ Xc Flush
  • Grips: Cane Creek Lock On
  • Steerer Cap/ Spacer: Control Tech Carbon/ 25mm
  • Handlebar: Control Tech Comp MT (40mm x 710mm)
  • Seat Clamp: Control Tech Comp (34.9mm)
  • Brakes: Formula Bianco (200mm FR/ 180mm RR)
  • Rear Shifter: Sram XO
  • Rear Derailleur: Sram XO Short Cage
  • Cassette: Sram PC 970 11-26T
  • Chain: Sram PG 991
  • Crankset: Truvativ Stylo 170mm
  • Chainring: E13 Guidering- 36T
  • Chain Device: E13 LG1
  • Saddle: SDG I Fly
  • Seatpost: SDG I-Beam
  • Front Hub: Industry Nine 20mm
  • Rear Hub: Industry Nine 12 x 135mm
  • Spokes: Industry Nine
  • Rims: DT 5.1
  • Tubes: Maxxis Welter Weight
  • Tires: Maxxis Minion DHF 2.35" Dual Ply (Front and rear)
  • Pedals: Some 'ol Sun Ringle I had lying around…

MorewoodKid

Monkey
Sep 14, 2006
In the woods...
So, I attached my pics again for good measure, seeing as everyone knocks Montashu...

Here is a safe, very realistic 36lb DH bike. Sure the rims are lightweight (getting some Mavics in Jan), as are some of the other components, but you must remember this is a "Race" bike with the focus being on performance.

I have still left a fair amount of room for improvement on the scale, I have not spent/ wasted any $$ on ti hardware or any ridiculous parts- I weighed the bike with old, beat up Sun Ringle pedals for goodness sake! I built this bike according to my own experience with various components, to be as light as possible, without compromising any performance or too much durability, rather looking to performance than weight- If I wanted a super light bike I would have thrown on a Boxxer WC and a DHX 5.0 Air. But the fact is in my experience the Travis paired with the Cane Creek is a great match.

Bottom line: no compromise DH rig for a weight wiener hack like myself. :banana:

Attachments

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Wow. That makes the Izumu/Shova decesion harder. Almost the same travel but almost a pound lighter on the Shova, eh?

MorewoodKid

Monkey
Sep 14, 2006
In the woods...
Wow. That makes the Izumu/Shova decesion harder. Almost the same travel but almost a pound lighter on the Shova, eh?
No, the weight difference is not tat much. I have not taken the time to weight the two, but I would expect it would be approx 100g. The geo on the Izimu is definitely more suited for DH though. Although for your smaller riders the Shova LT will definitely be the way to go; with the shorter back end, shorter wheelbase, lower standover etc, it will definitely be a more maneuverable sled.

Mani_UT

Monkey
Nov 25, 2001
SLC, UT
I am with you. I am sure he is a great guy but it comes down to your definition of DH. Downieville is raced py people on 6" bikes for god sake. We are not talking about the same thing here! A DH bike should be able to handle trail like Mt Snow NCS, Schweitzer NCS, No joke and others a full speed. I think that is why people jump on him. His bike is NOT downhill worthy by most people standard even though I am sure it is fine for Downieville.

BTW I am as much a weight wiennie as anyone: I have duraace parts, ti spring, ti bolts throughout my bike, triple butted spokes and such, still I don’t not consider his bike downwhill worthy. Now if most of my riding was extended downhills ala Downieville his rig would be prime!!