Quantcast

What are some light down hill bikes?

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
"...43 pounds, that sounds pretty light to me."

That's not particularly light, it's a pretty average weight for a relatively recent, decent-to-high-end fully capable dh rig. So if mid 40s is ok with you, you should focus less on weight and pay more attention to the quality of the bike. (Which is what a lot of us have been telling you anyway.)

But no matter what, for $1000 it'll be tough. I mean, you'll have a hard time getting a frame and fork for that much, new or used.

Super 8's have a long history of breaking, so you won't be doing yourself any favors by getting one. Don't rely on your dad welding it, that's an accident waiting to happen, and it's a lesson you don't want to learn the hard way.

I think you're best bet will be to do what others here have already said: Try to find a used (or blowout sale) Iron Horse DH bike. Not light, but good quality bikes on a budget.

But points for perserverence dude. Apparently you listened to whoever told you not to take "no" for an answer.

snowskilz

xblue attacked piggy won
May 15, 2004
rado
*cough cough* buy a foes mono and a dorado then give it all xc weight weenie parts.

Oh yeah that will be more than $1000

oreo321321

Chimp
Aug 10, 2004
OMFG......the loser with the Super 8 responded to my ad saying I wanted a freeride bike etc bla bla bla, for $1000 US. Well about 20 minutes ago, he informed me that he wanted $1600 for it. SCREW THAT..........AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

I got another offer, 2003 Kona Stinky for a $1000 size 19, slightly different than the pic im showing you, it has a jr t. and a few other things

here is a stock pic, in case you forgot

Attachments

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
serieously...get a hardtail....I can ride any trail that my FS brothers ride and have a blast...you can really spec a HT nicely with a 1000 bucks.....plus you will learn alot of skills that take much longer on a FS bike...or save up some more and get the Iron Horse...Supergo just lowered the prices even more and now they're only 1299.99

From what I read so far how can you really expect to appreciate a higher end bike with so little expereince? You have to work your way up like most people do...but you will probably ignore me like the rest....light and 1000 bucks?? only on fantasy island....D

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
the lightest "cheap" DH bike may be a freeride bike, like a bullit or as-x. It won't be a full on DH bike, but it'll be way cheaper for the frame, and way lighter...

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
at the end of the longest line
Matt D said:
I feel dumber for reading this.
must derail thread...must derail thread....

speaking of feelings, i get jelous everytime i see you post and it lists you as the Pacman champion. I should hire my mom as a ringer, she was unstopable at Ms.Pacman in the late 80s.....

mcA896

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2003
Cape Cod, MA
oreo321321 said:
OMFG......the loser with the Super 8 responded to my ad saying I wanted a freeride bike etc bla bla bla, for $1000 US. Well about 20 minutes ago, he informed me that he wanted $1600 for it. SCREW THAT..........AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

I got another offer, 2003 Kona Stinky for a $1000 size 19, slightly different than the pic im showing you, it has a jr t. and a few other things

here is a stock pic, in case you forgot
dude chill and think for a sec. how old are you? im 14 and i have a job. you should be able to get one to. pony up for the S8 if its what you want/need. mow lawns. do whatever gets u $$. and, im sure if the seller if a half decent person, he'll save the bike for you until you ahve the $$. you could even do a down payment type thingy if you meet the guy/if he lives near you. and you stated earlier that your dad thot 1000 for a complete bike was a big deal? try to explain to him that 1000 for a complete quality "freeride bike" (whatever that means) is probably the best deal you will ever find. tell him to research the prices of new bikes then he'll understand. and dont be such a hardass to what you're looking for. i have never seen a 35lb dh bike with zero sag unless you call a giant NRS a dh bike. keep your options open. some 45 lb bikes feel like 30 lbs. when your riding them, jus not when you pick it up.
just ponder those few points for a while then as you question again.

oreo321321

Chimp
Aug 10, 2004
Im off the "light bikes" topic now, in case you ddnt read my posts in this forum.

and I told you a bike, I am going to get it, ive read a lot of reviews on it, and it pretty much is all good. the 2003 Kona stinky with Jr T in the front. $1000 bucks, very nice shape, I looked at the pics extremly close with adobe photo shop. I just wanted to know if you guys like the bike, which everyone seems to, so..........im going to get the Stinky unless there is a problem with the buyer, or you guys convince me otherwise in the next day and a half.

Tully

Monkey
Oct 8, 2003
Seattle, WA
Is a 19 the right size for you? I don't know how tall you are, but DO NOT forget in your excitement to make sure that it actually fits.

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
I really shouldn't be wasting time posting this but screw it.

I have seen some nice DH bikes go on ebay for just over a grand. Wallstreetbiker sold his GT DHi a few months ago for like $1200 complete. He needed to get it out of his townhouse to make room for the new rig. It was sub 40 pounds. I still have my DHi since it makes a good buddy bike and I am not selling it that cheap. Got to watch out for cheap light used dh bikes. It doesn't do you a lot of good if it breaks on the first ride.

Like everyone else has said, get a hardtail with some decent wheels and a good fork. Spend the extra cash on going places to ride.

There are 2 types of people that have stupid light DH bikes. The really fast pro racer that needs that little edge. And the Master's class racer that has the cash to afford it. Kinda like golf clubs.

My Santa Cruz VP Free is in the really light range. It took a ton of research to get it that light. Then, it was peiced together since no one sells a complete DH bike under 39 pounds. Then several parts had to be machined to make them work. XC parts don't always fit a DH bike very well. Then you need the big bin of replacement parts since a light race bike is like an indy car. They break parts.

This post is like: I want a formula one car that is a durable as a taxi for the price of a yugo.

oreo321321

Chimp
Aug 10, 2004
Is nobody reading my posts?

I said I am off the light bike thing, I figured I dont need a extremely light bike anymore, I posted that about 3 times now.

fasterTHANyou

Monkey
Dec 12, 2003
washington dc
i've heard that the 19in stinkys came from a bad batch of aluminum and are prone to catostrophic headtube failure. thats probably how you found it so cheap. i like the new huffy downhill bike myself, and with all the money you'll save, you can buy some cards to clothespin to the spokes.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
Oreo I applaud you... You've listened to the voice of reason and decided that weight shouldn't be that big an issue, I'm not sure why everybody is still giving you a hard time about it. The Kona sounds like a great bike, the Jr T isn't the best fork as you may already know, but it's still an acceptable fork for somebody at your level. I wouldn't worry about it, if you're riding a Mongoose Pro now (I own a Mongoose Pro BMX bike as well) you won't likely have any problems breaking the Kona. Supposedly my AS-X is prone to having the holes where the swing link mounts wallow out in the 6" position... guess what, after a year I haven't had any problems, I just keep it in the 7" setting. There are problems that are known to be common (like super 8 swingarms cracking,) and cause real problems and there are problems that are known (like Jr T's spiking or boxxers leaking oil) but don't really bother a certain number of people. You just have to make some compromises at this point. Don't try to find what is cutting edge technology but is so thouroughly thrashed that it's useless and being sold cheap, look for something that you could afford new if you had a few hundred dollars more and get it used in good condition. There's nothing wrong with riding a bike that retails for $1500, most of us wish that we'd gotten one of those iron horse specials for $1400 instead of spending $2500+ on what we have now. If you can find a bike that retails for $1500-$1800 used for around a grand you'll be happy as long as the bike fits you and it's in good working condition.

What parts do you have on your bike now. If you've got Isis drive cranks, deore or better shifters and derailurs, a standard size handlebar, stem, saddle and pedals you can keep all that and move it onto a new bike, that alone will save you several hundred dollars as long as you don't plan on riding that bike any more. I bought my first real mountain bike for $700, after a year bought a new used frame, won a new fork and only spent about $60 on a new seat post, cables, housing and having the headset pressed, total cost of a new (to me) bike was around $400, after that I upgraded the wheels, handlebar, stem, brakes, cranks, etc as I could and then a while later I bought a new frame for $1300, all I had to get that running was tear down the old bike and put components on the new frame. Keep in mind this took over 3 years but I've always had a bike to ride and they've always held up to my riding.

oreo321321

Chimp
Aug 10, 2004
Acually when I get my new bike, I am selling my other bike to my friend, that is how I am getting up to $1000.

and I have another offer, a 2004 Kona Stinky in great condition, $1020 bucks, complete bike.

oreo321321

Chimp
Aug 10, 2004
The kid says he is trying to get sponcered, and the biggest drop he did on the bike was 4 feet to tranney. lol

erikkellison

Monkey
Jan 28, 2004
Denver, CO
If there's nothing substantially wrong with the '04 Stinky, then get it, hands down. Even if it's cosmetically bad, still get it. Umm, did I mention that you should get it? Oh, as long as it fits you. ;)

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Yeah, in all seriousness, if you do get a full-suspension bike, you'll need to have someone set it up for you. Very likely, both your fork and rear shock will need new springs...count on at least another $100 and some time to buy them all (I assume you're pretty light, given your age.) The suspension WILL NEED TUNING, and (no insult intended) you don't know what you're doing with that yet. A badly-tuned suspension can be a lot worse than none at all.

That's another case for a hardtail. Couple your budget and riding experience with your statements about bunnyhopping and your lack of experience with suspension tuning, and you're not looking at a great equation for success. I know f/s bikes are cool, and they're what you see in all the vids, but I think you'll get a really good bike which will suit you better and teach you more if you get a hardtail. I'm confident, however, that your young lust will trump all our experience and effort to steer you right, so good luck with whatever you go with. Ride whatever it is very often.

MD