729's with Hadley Hubs or Mavic Crossmax SX's
Maxis DHF's
RAce Face Atlas Freeride cranks
Gamut P-30 guide
E-13 Guidring
Thomson Post
Syncros MAg pedals
39.8 pounds with the 729's, and 38.8 with the crossmax sx's
I will be adding a KMC X9-sl chain, and maybe some Wet-screams for nasty days.

Just got this:

Specs:
08' Demo 8 w/magnesium link
Fox 40 with 09' cartridge and Risse uppeer crown
CCDB w/ti spring
I9's laced to Alex Supra D's
Sunline stem and bars
XT cranks, derailuer, shifter and brakes
E13 LG1 w/taco

Was 37.8 lbs. with XC tubes and no pedals on it when I bought it. Now has DH tubes and of course pedals, but I haven't bothered to weigh it as keeping it light is not the first priority. Brakes suck, but the bike rips so far (only 2 rides on it so far).

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
Johnny, your bike looks Sick!!!! Nice score from Herndon!!!! You will love it.

Guys, I will give you a little sneak at my 09 race build. Can't say anymore right now, but you will see the whole build and weight specs on Sicklines.com very soon.

Tonight took out the stock Big Old bottom Headset Cup and replaced it with a Cane Creek Flush Mount 1.5" to 1.125" Reducer Cup. This got rid of the Steel Cup and BMX open Bearings.

Then Mounted up the MRP G2 Chain Guide and the 165mm Race Face Atlas FR Cranks, along with a 38t Chain Ring.

Another Shot:

More on Sicklines.com soon!!!

Cecil:cheers:

Last edited:

SDH Racing

Monkey
Apr 5, 2006
NE
If everything comes together this year I'll be on an 09 Azoic B-52 rig/Rocco rear shock with some Hayes Stroker Ace's, Boxxer or Dorado, Sun ADD lite wheeelset, Meat Grinder DH cranks/guide.

djivotno

Monkey
Oct 3, 2008
I'm not that big of a racer, but i'll be riding this:

on a few local races.

Quite a few old parts on it but still going strong on the new frame:

So it's a RB Dragster DH (with a 215x63mm shock for proper geo)
Boxxer Race 'nuted MoCo and a KingPin Rebound
WTB SpeedDisk Pro DH rims on Formula hubs -nothing special just hard enough for my 200lbs
Sram Atack shifter (8sp setup)
Shaman Racing Bash + Enduro Guide + roller on the main pivot
Fly Ruben pedals and grips (BMX)
Selle *Something* - Blade saddle - Pretty PIMP and realy comfy...

and that's about it, the rest you can see on the photo.

What you can see is the age of those Hones, they are entering their 4th season and still going strong with the same BB and no inserts :clue:

stringbean

Chimp
Aug 30, 2008
yeti 303r lge
elixer r
saint cranks
xo
hadley
boxxer wc
e13 lg1

most off an existing bike but upgrading a few things with the new build

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
I've tried a whole bunch of different frames and parts and settled on a 08 Turner DHR frame/Vivid, WCs, Code brakes, SRAM shifting, Saint cranks, Supra Rims, Nevegal 2.5 Stick-Es, I-fly & Ibeam, Funn DM stem with Reverse XXL bars. Haven't found a pedal I like better than my old Flatboys.

Only part that ****s me at the moment is the friggen useless Hadley rear hub. Is swear their reputation is due to people assuming price means quality and owners not wanting to admit their silly expensive hub is worthless.

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
I've tried a whole bunch of different frames and parts and settled on a 08 Turner DHR frame/Vivid, WCs, Code brakes, SRAM shifting, Saint cranks, Supra Rims, Nevegal 2.5 Stick-Es, I-fly & Ibeam, Funn DM stem with Reverse XXL bars. Haven't found a pedal I like better than my old Flatboys.

Only part that ****s me at the moment is the friggen useless Hadley rear hub. Is swear their reputation is due to people assuming price means quality and owners not wanting to admit their silly expensive hub is worthless.
There will be a class on Hadley servicing and shoelace tying at 3pm....

nenjarickard

Monkey
Feb 14, 2009
Gothenburg, Sweden.
Just got this:

Specs:
08' Demo 8 w/magnesium link
Fox 40 with 09' cartridge and Risse uppeer crown
CCDB w/ti spring
I9's laced to Alex Supra D's
Sunline stem and bars
XT cranks, derailuer, shifter and brakes
E13 LG1 w/taco

Was 37.8 lbs. with XC tubes and no pedals on it when I bought it. Now has DH tubes and of course pedals, but I haven't bothered to weigh it as keeping it light is not the first priority. Brakes suck, but the bike rips so far (only 2 rides on it so far).
Nice one sir! How did you manage to get the maglink for that frame? ^^

How does the Fox40 feel together with the rear suspension? Can't wait for tomorow when mine arrives. :P

daisycutter

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2006
New York City
I have beat the sh!t out of my hadley hubs for four years and never serviced them. Never had an issue. What happened to your hadleys to make them useless

Last edited:

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
Transition blindside currently w/ dhx air, switching to vivid/ti spring
09 red boxxer WC
gravity integrated stem
deity dirty 30 bars
fsa orbit reducer headset
atlas FR cranks
36t e13 ring
lg1 guide
deity decoy pedals
XTR der and shifter
xt 11-32 cassette
09 deemax and ex1750 wheelsets
schwalbe muddy mary 2.35 dh tires
hope mono 6's
thomson post
felt roadie saddle

pretty stoked

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...

Assuming I actually make it to some races this year, here she is...

2005 medium V-10
'08 Totem
6.1 DT hoops laced to 440 hubs
Holtzfeller cranks (165 mm)
CCDB and Ti spring
Mallet M pedals
FSA post
Sh!tty road saddle
Minion 2.5 tires
Sram XO rear gorilla & shifter
E-13 SRS chainguide
Sunline bar & stem
Shimano XT brakes
Peaty grips
CC 100 headset
Ti sparing trident (not pictured)

jcook90

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2006
Connecticut
2008 Izimu (sickline's test bike)
RS vivid
2008 Marzocchi 888ata to be swapped for a boxxer
Industry nine hubs with alex supra D rims
Gravity lite cranks
Crankbro's acid pedals
Shimano 105 rear derailleur
Hayes stroker trails
E-13 LG1
Sunline 29.5's and grips
Thomson post and sunline seat

I'm not sure yet what the headset is gonna be, or the tires

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
2008 Izimu (sickline's test bike)
RS vivid
2008 Marzocchi 888ata to be swapped for a boxxer
Industry nine hubs with alex supra D rims
Gravity lite cranks
Crankbro's acid pedals
Shimano 105 rear derailleur
Hayes stroker trails
E-13 LG1
Sunline 29.5's and grips
Thomson post and sunline seat

I'm not sure yet what the headset is gonna be, or the tires

I didn't know that you got that, good for you. That is going to be a sick bike.

Biffff

Monkey
Jan 10, 2006
I bought my Hadley Hubs 3 years ago and just replaced the bearings in my 150x12 36pt rear hub. The internals of the hub are like new. The Beraings in my 3 year old front hub are still like new. Based on this a bought a brand new 72pt rear hub for my Demo. I ride 5 Days a week, and my Hadleys have been a product that I have not had to worry about.

ufdff15

Monkey
Apr 13, 2004
Central Massachusetts
I probably won't race again this season but but my DH rig is going to be a Sinister F-bomb(hopefully) with RS Totem Solo Air, Saint Cranks, WTB wheels and Maxxis tires.

igz-

Monkey
Nov 30, 2008
Santa Cruz
Santa Cruz Nomad
DHX 5 Air
Totem Solo Air, lowered, modified internals
DT Swiss ex1750 wheelset
Avid Juicy Ultimate 203/185
Lizardskinz Peaty grips
Easton Monkeylite DH CNT bars
Point 1 Racing Split Second stem
E13 36 tooth chainring
Bontrager Racelite Ti seat
Thomson Elite post
Maxxis Minion Singleply 2.35" supertacky's
Specialized Turbo tubes
6 speed Sram PG980 cassette
Sram hollow pin chain
Sram X0 rear shifter and derailleur
'09 MRP System 3 Carbon
Sunline V1 pedals for now, twenty6 pedals in future possibly.

oldskoolbiker

Monkey
Aug 19, 2005
Alexandria, VA
Got my Blindside pretty much ready for '09. Here's the specs

2008 Large Blindside Frame
2008 Rock Shox Vivid with DSP 550# Ti Spring
2006 Marzocchi RC2X (Probably upgrade to new 2010 BoXXer)
Sunline Bars, Grips, Stem
Shimano SLX Crank, Brakes, and Cassette
Sram X-9 shifter and derailleur
Gamut P2 Chainguide
Sram 991 Chain
Hope Pro II hubs laced to Sun-Ringle Equalizer 31 rims with DT Spokes
Maxxis Minion ST 2.5 (setup tubeless)
SDG I-FlyC and SDG Post
Wellgo MG1 Ti Pedals

Current weight 38.4 lbs

Biffff

Monkey
Jan 10, 2006
Have you had any time on those SLX cranks??? A buddy of mine had a set that striped the insert out after a couple days of melow riding.

oldskoolbiker

Monkey
Aug 19, 2005
Alexandria, VA
Have you had any time on those SLX cranks??? A buddy of mine had a set that striped the insert out after a couple days of melow riding.
I got them toward the end of last season, but I have a few days at the local DH trails and at a day at Diablo. No issues. How would you strip out a steel insert anyway? Sure he wasn't using the XC version of the cranks without the insert?

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
what's up with your cassette?
A Sunline "spoke protector" I suppose. It was on there when I bought it, and I will say it does prevent the chain from jumping off the big cog into your spokes. Mainly, it adds weight (important, needless to say) and no one else has one.

Last edited:

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
There will be a class on Hadley servicing and shoelace tying at 3pm....
If only there was a class on trying to think before you type. Tard. Servicing is easy - just the intervals are ridiculous compared to offerings that cost half as much.

I have beat the sh!t out of my hadley hubs for four years and never serviced them. Never had an issue. What happened to your hadleys to make them useless
Bearings are pretty much fine, they seem to last ok. Just the freehub continually gets gunked up and starts slipping. Doesn't take long to fix, just very annoying that $100 hubs manage to have less issues than $400 hubs.

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
Bearings are pretty much fine, they seem to last ok. Just the freehub continually gets gunked up and starts slipping. Doesn't take long to fix, just very annoying that $100 hubs manage to have less issues than $400 hubs.
I've had my bearins replaced 4 times in like 5 years......it's a real Racket they got going on......

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
Certainly there are variations in qualtiy of any commercially made product, But this just does not agree with a LOT of people that I know around here (rains just a LITTLE bit here) that ride in any conditions and bikes that see regular mud and whistler power washings.

My newest set is a season and a half old with only one quick pawl clean and grease. The oldest set (that I still own) is a 6 year old 108 that is all original parts except for a pawl spring this last fall (worn, but did not fail). I had another set of 108s from the same first batch that were perfect until they were stolen last winter.

Once a year I pull the freehub, wipe it down and grease....that is it ever. Never had a bearing go bad, never had a freehub issue, nothing....

I know of a few sets (friends pre SDH versions) off the top of my head that are 10-12 years old and still perfect.

Big draw originally for me was the ease of access to parts, and being able to call the designer/machinist/owner and buy/describe exactly what I needed directly. They also have all sorts of mounting/axle options to put their hubs on any frame config (2003 Fly with 135 hub/floating brake/ 10mm bolt on..).

Pricing here/there is most likely in an issue as well. For example:
135s
Hadley rear $299
Hope Pro 2 $262
king $315 - 409
DT 440 $420
I9 $441

THey are FAR from being the most expensive. In fact, they are at least $100 cheaper than any other hub offering the same stats (here in the states).

That bieng said, they are a small co in a niche market with little to zero support out side of the USA. If I were not in the US, I would certainly give some more weight to a brand with more accessabiltity to spares...

Have you tried to contact Hadley? Have someone here do it for you? What exactly are you needing? I know there was an updated set of seals (I have not used nor needed them) that are red in color rather than clear. Are you using their pawl lube?

Last edited: