Quantcast

What band does everyone else thinks is lame – but you like?

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
At least no one has admitted to Morrisey.

I add Quiet Riot to my list. Something about Metal Health that makes me want to drive Mach 5 and grow my mullet back...

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
How about Ani Difranco? I don't know many straight white males that like her much, yet here I am. I guess deep down inside, I am a lesbian.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I almost got arrested because of Boston. A neighbor called in a noise complaint at 3:00 AM. Friends and I got back from the bar and had some loud and lively Boston air band action. I was a little too intoxicated to properly talk to the police. It didn't help that I had a bunch of morons behind me who continued to jam away on their air instruments. It was awesome.

Edit: LOL, it must have lookes something like this.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
This is a true story.

Years ago when I worked at this print shop I had a Boston curse.

Seriously.

EVERY time I turned on the radio, Boston would come on. If it wasn't the current song playing, or it was a commercial, it would always be the next song. It got to the point that all my coworkers were getting spooked.

I'd walk up the the radio/tape player and say, "I bet Boston is on" and everyone in the shop would scream, "NOOOOO!!!"

I'd flip it on or switch from tape to radio and whammo - "it's more than a feeliiiinn..."

It wasn't just one radio station either. I could spin the dial randomly first before turning it on, or ask someone to spin it for me. It was always Boston.

And I do mean EVERY time. For more than a year.

I don't know what finally broke the curse, but one day I switched it on and the next song was....

wait for it......

Chicago.

Luckily it wasn't a Chicago curse. After that, any random song could be on. I was free.

Spero

ass rainbow
Jul 12, 2005
Tejas
I'd much rather have a Boston curse than a Chicago curse. Beirut would be an interesting curse, but I wouldn't mind it much. Europe, Kansas, Alabama and Nazareth would probably cause me to end my life.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
after a bit further contemplation, these bands are exempt from my proclamation:

Great Plains
Antarctica
Portishead
Antietam (Tara Key is a smoking guitar player)
Calexico
Earth
Green River
Laibach
Warsaw (pre-Joy Division)

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
100% of bands named after cities, regions, countries or continents suck all kinds of azz.
Europe.

Asia.

America.

Boston.

Chicago.

Miami Sound Machine...

:think:

Berlin is a forgivable exception.

Spero

ass rainbow
Jul 12, 2005
Tejas
after a bit further contemplation, these bands are exempt from my proclamation:

Great Plains
Antarctica
Portishead

Antietam (Tara Key is a smoking guitar player)
Calexico
Earth
Green River
Laibach
Warsaw (pre-Joy Division)
I agree with these, but I don't recall listening to the others.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
I just learned that Freddy Mercury was Indian.

Early Life

Mercury was born Farrokh Bulsara, on the island of Zanzibar, off the coast of Tanzania. His parents, Bomi and Jer Bulsara,[a] were Parsis from the Gujarat region of the then province of Bombay Presidency in British India.[9] The family surname is derived from the town of Bulsar (also known as Valsad) in southern Gujarat. As Parsis, Freddie and his family practiced the Zoroastrian religion. The Bulsara family had moved to Zanzibar in order for his father to continue his job as a cashier at the British Colonial Office. He had one younger sister, Kashmira.[10]

The hectics with Freddie Mercury in the centre
In 1954, at the age of eight, Mercury was sent to study at St. Peter's School,[11] a boarding school for boys in Panchgani near Mumbai, India.[12] At school, he formed a popular school band, called The Hectics, for which he played the piano. A friend from the time recalls that he had "an uncanny ability to listen to the radio and replay what he heard on piano".[13] It was also at St. Peter's where he began to call himself "Freddie". Mercury remained in India for most of his childhood, living with his grandmother and aunt. He completed his education in India at St. Mary's School, Mumbai.[14]

Who knew?

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
I want to play! 2 years too late but I'll start with the 90s first.

I own this CD... Every time I listen to it I want to ride a Vespa and free puppies. :)

Last edited: