Quantcast

what do you think the Tr450's price will be?

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
the import bikes are better now than ever and perfectly suitable for most riders. They are almost free when purchased in quantity so the brand can ship plenty of replacements as needed. In the case of a frame breaking on a import bike it's usually an engineering or material issue, not a weld flaw. The brand will be aware and should have plenty of replacements available.
That is simply laughable Frank. When was the last time you went over to the ROC doing product work? The product being cranked out from Taiwan, where the majority of high end frame product originates, these days is by no means cheap.

While there are some economies that can be maximized, save a handful of guys, no one is making dual suspension mountain bike frames in that shockingly huge qty. For DH frames there is no such thing as "large qty" for any brand. Better pricing more often than not comes from buying off-the-shelf and/or thru long term relationships with the frame vendors...and by "better" they are still far from "free". Margins in the bike biz simply aren't huge for anyone.

In some cases the costs of manufacturing in the US aren't that much higher but as most all components are made in Taiwan and other complete bikes are assembled there, and in the case of many brands less than 1/2 are shipping to the US market these days anyways, it makes strategic sense to build frames and assemble in the same place.

-ska todd

Sam B

Monkey
Nov 25, 2001
Cascadia
While there are some economies that can be maximized, save a handful of guys, no one is making dual suspension mountain bike frames in that shockingly huge qty. For DH frames there is no such thing as "large qty" for any brand. Better pricing more often than not comes from buying off-the-shelf and/or thru long term relationships with the frame vendors...and by "better" they are still far from "free". Margins in the bike biz simply aren't huge for anyone.
It is also worth mentioning that brands like Giant are making their money on the cheap to mid price bikes, not on bikes like the Glory. That bikes main purpose is marketing and brand image, not bringing in the dollas.

In some cases the costs of manufacturing in the US aren't that much higher but as most all components are made in Taiwan and other complete bikes are assembled there, and in the case of many brands less than 1/2 are shipping to the US market these days anyways, it makes strategic sense to build frames and assemble in the same place.

-ska todd
Not to mention the tubes most USA made frames are welded from come from Taiwan as well. Biggest reason behind Taiwan production still remains... much better quality for the price. Arguably better quality than anywhere else, depending on what factory you are working with.

cmoney

Monkey
Jan 20, 2008
Just wondering if anyone on RM has actually spent time on the TR450 as I am considering buying one,I have a Blindside and have been impressed with the toughness of it so I would stick with another Transition because of that fact.
The TR450 is another single pivot bike how does the low pivot compare to the high pivot of the Blindside?I have the floater on my Blindside and it made a big difference in braking are they offering or do you need a floater on the TR450?
Any real world reviews would be much appreciated.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Biggest reason behind Taiwan production still remains... much better quality for the price.
Again, either prove that a TW frame is of better quality or give the customer a better price!

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Again, either prove that a TW frame is of better quality or give the customer a better price!
Does he really have to? If the price will be too high people won't buy the frame and they'll lower the price. Market rules are quite simple in this case. Trek learned it the hard way looking at the prices you could get the session 10 at the start and the end of production.

cmoney - blindside a high pivot? Either I'm blind or the pivot is pretty low, just the shock is high.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Which ones?
Don't get me wrong - the build quality on my Turner is fantastic. But the general quality of my Transition Double is certainly on par. The welds may not be as showy, but they're solid and clean.

I've seen some amazingly bad construction work on some US-made frames though, including 3 identical size and model frames that had visibly different geometry. I certainly would go taking a swipe at the construction quality of Taiwanese stuff without taking a close look at the alternative.

Sam B

Monkey
Nov 25, 2001
Cascadia
There are good, bad and mediocre in both (any) country. It isn't so black and white.

It isn't like companies call the Taiwanese government and say "Hi I want to order some bike frames." These are businesses regardless of where they happen to be situated in the world, it seems like people often forget that.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
There are good, bad and mediocre in both (any) country. It isn't so black and white.

It isn't like companies call the Taiwanese government and say "Hi I want to order some bike frames." These are businesses regardless of where they happen to be situated in the world, it seems like people often forget that.
Yup.

I do think there is something to be said about US-made boutique frames that are done correctly though. All the little details can add up to a much more durable setup.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
How many US made DH frames are there even anymore?

Intense
Turner
Sinister
VPP Santa Cruz frames (I think?)
Chumba?
Mtn Cycle?

My taiwanese demo frames (the newer designs) were still the best engineered and constructed bikes I've ever owned. And yes irider, that includes my intense frames.

I got to see a few of those TR450s in person not too long ago. Those frames look extremely well built. Better than the long travel frames offered by some of those companies listed above. I'm dying to get a test ride on one.

Nice work Sam and Co. :)

Last edited:

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Specialized I think are somewhat the pinnacle of Taiwanese construction. For a mass produced frame, I think the Demos are and always have been works of art.

To think that a few years back for the Demo 9 frames they were charging....$3300?

Chumba, Mountain Cycles, SC, and Intense I've seen pretty inconsistent and sloppy manufacturing from, and I don't think any of the SC bikes are made in the states anyhow. Foes is still made here, and I think Yeti is too.

May 2, 2007
No head in my ass.... I spent some time on one Yesterday....Def not a bike I would pay for. Rode the large and I seriously felt like I was falling over the front of the bike, knees in the handle bars as end was everywere except were it was supposed to be. Seriously It felt as if the tire was coming up, and to the left as it went through its travel. Didnt feel right at all, like I was just not able to get into a proper attack position, if I leaned into the front, I was hanging over the front axle.....Just couldnt get into feeling stable at all riding it Oh yeah, 40 on the fornt, double barrel on the back. Ill take the Blindside over the "other" Still toying with getting the TR450 for myself though

P.S..... without saying it, others at the demo were stating the same thing before I was done riding.
Hey Mike,
How about you quit screwing with my livelyhood, before I start screwing with yours ?
If you don't like our bikes, quit riding them ?
Your posts are very contradictive.
What do you gain in this ?
RTW.

paintmc

Chimp
Sep 23, 2009
Transition told me Canadian pricing would be

TR450 frame and DHX RC4 rear shock will retail for $2759 CAD

MSRP on the complete bike with a Fox 40RC2 and a super premium
build kit will be around $5759.

Some shops will sell for a bit less...mine did..

Check out the parts spec below.

Transition TR450
Rear Shock Fox DHX RC4
Fork Fox 40 RC2
Headset Cane Creek Tapered
Crankset Truvativ Holzfeller OCT 165mm, 36t
Bottom Bracket Truvativ Howitzer 83mm
Guide E13 LG1+, White 36-40
Rear Der SRAM XO Short Cage
Shifter SRAM XO
Cassette SRAM PG970 11-23
Wheels Transition Revolution 32, 150mm
Tires Maxxis Minion 3C 2.5
Brakes Avid Elixir CR 8" F&R
Handlebar Transition T-Bar 30" Low Rise Bar
Stem Transition Direct Mount Stem
Saddle Transition Diamond Stitch Road
Seatpost Thomson Elite

This is a great spec for the price...not to mention how good
and quick the service is with Transition

I am ordering mine in a few weeks hopefully

Cheers

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
Excellent note there. Any bike you have should be inspected before and after each ride for normal wear, and possible damage.

The note about those buying there own bikes.....I sell Trek, Giant, and Speccy.... But for myself, I purchased a Transition... Whats that tell you?
That your opinion on all things bicycle related should be taken with a grain of salt?

MDJ

Monkey
Dec 15, 2005
San Jose, CA
I just can't pull the trigger on a new bike yet because I'm waiting for this one to hit the dirt. Let's go guys - get the production line rolling.

big-ted

Danced with A, attacked by C, fired by D.
Sep 27, 2005
Vancouver, BC
So, a couple of questions:

1) Where is the adjustable head angle/BB height coming from? I don't see any shock shuttles or alternative mounting holes. Is this just from sliding the fork in the crowns?

2) What kind of bearings is this thing running in the linkage? In my experience, bikes using this design (DHR, Flatline, RMX etc) have had a healthy appetite for bearings in the push-rod...

3) 47.5" wheelbase on the large seems like a long, long bike. My current DHR is quoted as 46.8" and it's already the longest bike I've ever put in the bed of my truck.

thom9719

Turbo Monkey
Jul 25, 2005
In the Northwest.

1) Where is the adjustable head angle/BB height coming from? I don't see any shock shuttles or alternative mounting holes. Is this just from sliding the fork in the crowns?

2) What kind of bearings is this thing running in the linkage? In my experience, bikes using this design (DHR, Flatline, RMX etc) have had a healthy appetite for bearings in the push-rod...

3) 47.5" wheelbase on the large seems like a long, long bike. My current DHR is quoted as 46.8" and it's already the longest bike I've ever put in the bed of my truck.
The adjustability is a removable hat in the swing link. It is hidden in the frame for a clean look.

I'm still running my original bearings from the whole season. the swing link bearings in the TR are the size of the main pivot bearings on all the ofther TBC bikes.

Wheel base is effected by multiple things including the adjustable geometry, and where you run your fork. I have mine in the most raked out postion (see picture posted above) I don't know how long it is, but it doesn't feel insane. I am 6' 3" however....

-KT

big-ted

Danced with A, attacked by C, fired by D.
Sep 27, 2005
Vancouver, BC
The adjustability is a removable hat in the swing link. It is hidden in the frame for a clean look.
Nice

I'm still running my original bearings from the whole season. the swing link bearings in the TR are the size of the main pivot bearings on all the ofther TBC bikes.
Nice

Wheel base is effected by multiple things including the adjustable geometry, and where you run your fork. I have mine in the most raked out postion (see picture posted above) I don't know how long it is, but it doesn't feel insane. I am 6' 3" however....

-KT
Hmm, I'm 6'3" also...

Sam B

Monkey
Nov 25, 2001
Cascadia

1) Here is a diagram from the hang tag that will ship on the frame. It shows the adjustment in the rocker. Obviously there is extra adjustment available from fork leg position, especially with the short headtube used on this frame.

TR450_GeoAdjustFeature.jpg

2) The bearings in the dog bone are quite large. I think 6903, if I remember correctly. So that would be a 17mm ID and 30mm OD bearing. Pretty large. I did replace my bearings at the end of this season, but until I had the swingarm disconnected you couldn't even tell they were notchy. Pretty reasonable considering a lot of runs in the PNW. When the time does come to replace bearings the center sleeves have notches cut out to make it extra easy to press bearings out.

3) I would measure your DHR wheelbase, it might be longer than you think. 47.5 is definitely long, but the stable long wheelbase blends well with what is otherwise a very agile bike. It rides quite light and nimble; without a tape measure you would probably not guess it was quite so long. With todays 64 and under head angles everyones wheelbase is getting longer.

Last edited:

Dudebrah

Chimp
May 18, 2009
Specialized is rider owned too as are many other brands. So you fall for the marketing? The real distinction is if they make everything in house or not. And they don't, in contrast to Nicolai, Foes, Intense, Morewood....

Call up specialized and ask to talk to the owner.

Then do the same with TBC.

It ain't falling for the marketing if there's actually a difference. TBC customer service is worth the extra $$$.

Edit: The "extra $$$" was in reference to giant vs TBC... To make the whole exercise a real blast, call giant and ask to talk to the owner and call specialized and ask for a bike as durable and capable as a TBC bike at the same pricepoint.

Last edited:

Speedwa

Chimp
Jul 24, 2008
PNW
The Frame looks amazing and my brief ride on the TR 450 proved it rides better than it looks!. As for the paint, I think I will get mine through DropNZone and take advantage of some free powder coating.

Uncle Cliffy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2008
Southern Oregon
One of the main reasons I dig this frame is the Cuervo similarities... I had a first gen Cuervo and loved the rear suspension. The geometry looks really good too. I'm kicking my own ass that I didn't get to demo one at Blackrock...

Just curious, any provisions for the floating brake in the future?