SF
Here is his video on Faith:

EDIT: It is just another hack.

Last edited:

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
103034 dislikes with 2436 likes. Bahahaha, what a tard. This republican primary is like picking the bus captain on the short bus trip to the museum. Either way, it's going to make things easier for Obama, and provide us with hours of hilarity

On a more seriousish side, I've noticed the republicans are doing kind of what the democrats did in 2004 with Kerry. Being in a situation where a decently strong candidate stands a chance of sorts, but they took it to another extreme, and instead of a weak candidate have picked a bunch of true morons

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
:twitch:

What a dip****. "war on religion"? FSM knows how tough the Christian community has had it in the US for the last two hundred years. Only group persecuted more has been white males. What chance do they have in this country, really?

Andyman_1970

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2003
The Natural State
Agrreed. I've got into several heated discussions on FB with some of my own church members (supposedly moderate Methodists) that think we're a persecuted minority. WTF, turn off Fox News and wake the F up. They get REALLY pissed when I start pointing out that the majority of Christmas traditions we have have pagan origins. My wife scratches her head as to why I continue to engage in discussions like that with folks..........I just can't help myself trying to fix teh stopid.

Pesqueeb

Feb 2, 2007
Agrreed. I've got into several heated discussions on FB with some of my own church members (supposedly moderate Methodists) that think we're a persecuted minority. WTF, turn off Fox News and wake the F up. They get REALLY pissed when I start pointing out that the majority of Christmas traditions we have have pagan origins. My wife scratches her head as to why I continue to engage in discussions like that with folks..........I just can't help myself trying to fix teh stopid.
I was hoping you would chime in on this. Why do think this is? Some kind of persecution complex? Confirming ones faith by convincing your self that you've got it as tough as Paul or John the Baptist?

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
i don't know...don't care...discussion about religion from either side is like fvcking white noise to me.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
As usual, John Stewart says it best:

[video]http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/tue-december-6-2011/tree-fighting-ceremony[/video]

and

[video]http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/tue-december-6-2011/tree-fighting-ceremony---war-on-christmas[/video]

Andyman_1970

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2003
The Natural State
I was hoping you would chime in on this. Why do think this is? Some kind of persecution complex? Confirming ones faith by convincing your self that you've got it as tough as Paul or John the Baptist?
I bet there is a coorelation between ethnicity and those who claim that Christianity/Christmas is under attack here in the US. Maybe the Evangelical Christian extension of White Man's persecution.

What pisses me off, when I hear folks (esspeically folks I go to church with) piss and moan how Christmas is "under attack" is a) STFU, we live in a country where we can say "Jesus", read a Bible, gather for Bible study / worship and NOT have to worry about "the man" breaking down our door and arresting us. b) The crap they are complaining about, no Christmas tree (pagan in origin BTW), or manger, etc are DECORATIONS!!!! They are F'ing DECORATIONS. I'm sure Jesus is weeping at the right hand of the Father because DECORATIONS aren't being put up on the state capitol / city hall lawn vs. the THOUSANDS of kids in Africa that won't have ANYTHING for Christmas and will die because they have nothing to eat (a preventable cause).

Sorry for the rant...............

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
And, of course, the things that they're b!tching and moaning about are the pagan-derived, secular aspects of Christmas (tree, gifts, etc). Every once in a while there's a complaint about their inability to put a giant plastic Nativity scene in front of a courthouse somewhere, but usually it's about "Christmas" trees and lights and tinsel and....

So, to recap:

Religious Persecution -

NOT Religious Persecution -

Any questions?

Pesqueeb

Feb 2, 2007
I agree. FB friend posted something a while back raving about Christmas trees not being allowed someplace public, Christ in Christmas, etc, etc. I responded with "LOL @ the implication Christmas trees having anything to do with teh Jeebus". Haven't heard from him since.

Last edited:

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Americans in general have become a bunch of whiny bitches. Man the **** up.
I am so fvcking sick of hearing about how bad things are. And usually it's either coming out of the mouth of a fat, waddling, flag waving tard or a smart phone dependent hipster douche who's fed up with the man.

I'm betting Somalians might have a different take on our situation here in the states.

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
Dude, it ain't religion...It just another version of the good ole American paranoid style. Seriously, do Christians in other part of the world feel this way? If not, then it's a part of our culture.

?????

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
San Francisco
It just another version of the good ole American paranoid style. Seriously, do Christians in other part of the world feel this way? If not, then it's a part of our culture.
Germans dedicate the majority of their city-centers to Christmas Markets, not Holiday Markets, France has banned the wearing of Burqas, Switzerland banned the building of Mosques, and Turkey banned the building of Churches at some point in the 1900's.

Personally, I think it's bull**** that people feel the need to protest the religious beliefs of other people (stupid as they may be), those people enjoy them and they're a large contributor to a country's culture.

If people want to put up a Christmas tree on public property, then so be it. Most people enjoy the wreaths,trees and lights. The people can also put up other religious symbols to celebrate a fun holiday.

To me it's stupid to strip the name of a holiday because it has certain associations, just the same as it would be stupid to remove the names of all vacations and holidays to just simply call them 'holiday'.

How pissed do you think people would be if the MLK statue in Washington was just called 'holiday statue'?

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I agree. FB friend posted something a while back raving about Christmas trees not being allowed someplace public, Christ in Christmas, etc, etc. I responded with "LOL @ the implication Christmas trees having anything to do with teh Jeebus". Haven't heard from him since.
Point out the pagan ties to the time of year (da Jeebus was not born in winter) and the idea of a decorated tree and yule log are both very pagan. I like to watch people freak out when you mention it.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
How pissed do you think people would be if the MLK statue in Washington was just called 'holiday statue'?
Would North Portland (NoPo) improve if you renamed MLK to Holiday Blvd? I didn't think so, it's just a name. The statue you mention is OF MLK, it's more than just a label. The tree in question is just a representation of a holiday tree, not a replica of a historical tree.

?????

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
San Francisco
Would North Portland (NoPo) improve if you renamed MLK to Holiday Blvd? I didn't think so, it's just a name. The statue you mention is OF MLK, it's more than just a label. The tree in question is just a representation of a holiday tree, not a replica of a historical tree.
If you're going to make that point, then I don't see why ANYONE would be opposed to a Christmas Tree.

However, I don't think any city is going to change the name of MLK street to Holiday street and assume that everyone is going to be cool with it.

Pesqueeb

Feb 2, 2007
I suppose its different now, but when I was living in PDX the only two Popeyes Chicken in the entire metro area were both on MLK. :think:

qft.
everyone knows MLK Blvd in any city is dangerous
Wasn't that a Chris Rock bit? It seems to hold true in all of my travels.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I suppose its different now, but when I was living in PDX the only two Popeyes Chicken in the entire metro area were both on MLK. :think:
About 5 years ago they opened one across from the aquatic center in Beaverton and now there is one on I5 at the travel center north of Woodburn. And yes, that was a Chris Rock bit. :rofl:

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
When Newt starts to look like the most reasonable choice, you know you're in trouble.

I'd like to thank the tea party, sarah palin, glenn beck, and many more for actually convincing idiots like perry that this is the type of thing that their base wants to hear.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
^^^^^^^^^^^

Man, who is that? Thats a theology thats gotta have some peoples undies in a bunch.
That is John Shelby Spong. He was a bishop for quite a long time in the Episcopal Church in NJ. He has drawn the ire of some and I think has put out some of his more radical stuff after retiring from being a bishop, but the Episcopal church does give people a good amount of leeway with that sort of thing- at least if you're a bishop and in a fairly liberal area. Unless you go off the deep end, they aren't going to censure you or something like the Catholic church would. Looking a bit at some of his stuff, it is interesting, though not as far in left field as you might think.

He confirmed me when I was a teenager living in Jersey. I heard him preach a few times; I wish I had been paying a bit more attention back then, as he probably had some interesting things to say.