Quantcast

What's up with 4x getting canned?!?!??!

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
the question remains, is 4x worth spending 100's of thousands of dollars on, for one track? I'd suggest the answer is still no.
In an ideal world I suppose there would be enough independent infrastructure with tracks in place (like ski hills or public parks) where it became a matter of which venues to choose for the year rather than 'what's it going to take to build a track from scratch?'

The mention of whistler building a track every year is a good point. Seems like every bike park should have something similar. That in itself would create more riders and more interest.....etc etc.

Ahhh bunnies and unicorns :D

FlipFantasia

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Sea to Sky BC
In an ideal world I suppose there would be enough independent infrastructure with tracks in place (like ski hills or public parks) where it became a matter of which venues to choose for the year rather than 'what's it going to take to build a track from scratch?'

The mention of whistler building a track every year is a good point. Seems like every bike park should have something similar. That in itself would create more riders and more interest.....etc etc.

Ahhh bunnies and unicorns :D
the whistler track can hardly be considered world class....it's basic at best...and while it's fun to pin, there's really not even much love for a regular series in this town....frankly, too much other riding to be done!

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
the whistler track can hardly be considered world class....it's basic at best...and while it's fun to pin, there's really not even much love for a regular series in this town....frankly, too much other riding to be done!
Doesn't matter though. It takes just as much time to make big shltty piles of dirt as it does big worthy ones. The point is, the thing gets built. If they can do it, other places should as well........and in most cases it wouldn't need to be redone every year.

And you're nuts if you think the track about 4 years ago wasn't fun as hell. I rode laps JUST to get to that thing. Made a-line/dmerchant look like kiddie play. ;)

FlipFantasia

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Sea to Sky BC
Doesn't matter though. It takes just as much time to make big shltty piles of dirt as it does big worthy ones. The point is, the thing gets built. If they can do it, other places should as well........and in most cases it wouldn't need to be redone every year.

And you're nuts if you think the track about 4 years ago wasn't fun as hell. I rode laps JUST to get to that thing. Made a-line/dmerchant look like kiddie play. ;)
never said it wasn't fun, just that there's never been much interest in a 4x series.....we already have weekly xc and dh races, on top of a bunch of other races in the area....people are already nearly burnt out trying to do everything, and those that would be interested are only interested if someone else does the organzing/promoting, you know pretty typical racer attitude....

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
never said it wasn't fun, just that there's never been much interest in a 4x series.....we already have weekly xc and dh races, on top of a bunch of other races in the area....people are already nearly burnt out trying to do everything, and those that would be interested are only interested if someone else does the organzing/promoting, you know pretty typical racer attitude....
I feel so bad for you guys.

If only everyone had those problems :p

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Dude, you still are in Whistler!! I know the place pretty good having lived there for 3 years and the sheer amount of terrain available for that type of racing, even if it's not held directly in the bike park, is pretty intense.

Dump is talking East Coast! Not a lot of mountains could do that type of race here unless it's down down down up up up up up up up up the mountain again and down again. Whiteface is a good option.

Colorado has super d's and a super d series, but it's more of a XC downhill race than reverse, which would be like the Mega Avalanche or the likes.
The avalanche series, enduro trophy etc are really popular in yurp. I can assure you not all of them take place in the most epic mountains I ever visited ;) He was right - it is the concept. I rode 1/3 of the mega track on my dh bike and I was gutted, Im pretty sure it would be enough as a race. You dont have to make the best race in the world to host something like it. If you want to be the best than yeah, maybe a big mountain is needed (the sights in huez and 2 alpes are EPIC!) but for regular races its not necessary. If there were more races like that closer to this god forsaken place Id think about dropping the road casette gimmick and getting some 2.35 tires. The atmosphere is much cooler than on dh races on these events.

Boom Boom

Chimp
Nov 5, 2009
Birmingham, UK
I have been waiting for a few days for confirmation on the Actual costs of 4X track builds in the World Cup in past few years.

The numbers being thrown around on here are unbelieveable.

The majority of World Cup tracks have cost way less than $50,000. The ones that have cost around $50,000 have had groundworks and drainage done as they were going to remain as permanent 4X tracks in bike parks or at resorts for the local riders/races to use.

As mentioned already Fort William, Leogang, Mont St Anne and Val Di Sole will use existing tracks in 2011 and will cost much less than the DH to use in the World Cup. I am not sure about Pietermaritzburg or Windham's tracks for 2011, but I hope they both have the same tracks as used in 2009/2010.

Just so everyone knows, the big point to this post is Windhams 4X track for the 2010 World Cup was built almost entirely by volunteers. The contractor who completed all the building work, donated all his work, machines and time for free. Not the $100,000 some on here would have you believe but for FREE.

Some people hate 4X. That's fine. But making up numbers and stories about the sport to have it 'canned' is crazy.

The sport is building as I mentioned before. Numbers in the UK are up 30% in 2010 over 2009. The series here in the UK is also attracting more sponsors each year, from companies who see the potential. The rider numbers at all World Cups in 2010 were up on the previous year. The European 4X series has been created in 2010 to give European riders experience and a stepping stone between national events and the World Cup. The European 4X Series will be back with a 5 round series in 2011. Tracks have evolved loads in the past 2 years to a point where the riders and UCI are now really happy.

The 4X Alliance now has direct communication with promoters around the world and the UCI so that riders ideas can be expressed to help the sport.

The crowds at World Cups/World Champs are growing every year aswell for 4X. Houffalize, Fort William, Val Di Sole, Windham and MSA had big crowds in 2010. Did Windham and MSA have bigger crowds than DH??

Freecasters viewing figures are much lower for 4X over DH. There is no new news there. BUT..... the viewing figures from Eurosport (the sports channel here in Europe) for 4X and DH are very different...... Does this mean that the outside world likes 4X?? Does it really appeal to the guy flicking through channels on a saturday night?? The viewing figures from tv channels suggests that the guy at home who knows nothing about mountain biking, likes 4 riders racing head-to-head, jumping big doubles and obviously the crashes aswell!!

So yes, I know 4X is building around the World and the next stage is for the 4X Alliance to help North American promoters to get a series in place in USA and Canada. This will obviously take a couple of years but that is the plan.

The point is, it doesnt matter if you love or hate 4X. My point of view is 4X gives fans a chance to make a good weekend out of a World Cup. They can watch 4X on Saturday, party Saturday night then watch the DH on Sunday.

It gets mountain bikes on TV more than just DH would and that can surely only be a great thing for bikeparks and resorts, sponsors and the industry who want to promote their location and products to viewers at home.

MDJ

Monkey
Dec 15, 2005
San Jose, CA
^^ What's with all of these relevant facts on Ridemonkey?? I thought only ridiculous speculation and lies were allowed on here.??

:rolleyes:

ZoRo

Turbo Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
MTL
So yes, I know 4X is building around the World and the next stage is for the 4X Alliance to help North American promoters to get a series in place in USA and Canada. This will obviously take a couple of years but that is the plan.
Yes please!:thumb:

Having a 4x US/Canada series would more than awsome. Now, apart from national championships and a couple races here and there, the only other 4x races in North-Am are World Cups. It's a pretty big step up when you are not used to that type of caliber.

Thanks for actually citing some real numbers, although I'm pretty sure that Bromont's track did costs a $hitload of money, but it's beside the point.