Quantcast

What's with MTB snobs? People with more money than talent = snobs!

Spokompton

Monkey
May 15, 2005
Spokane WA
Ridemonkey is kind of in the middle ground. Not much snobery here compared to actual talent.

Pinkbike- Much much more talent than money. Kids over there are highly skilled in some cases yet don't have much money.

MTBR- off the hook snobs over there esp. in the Turner and Ellsworth forums. It's funny watching those guys argue which $600 rear shock is better for the extreme 4 foot drops they do.:rolleyes: I could name off over 5 guys I know who ride "crappy" vanilla shocks and have way more talent and balls than any of those MTBR guys.

I just hink it's funny how people invest sooo much money into things they never even us for its intended purpose.

Don't people have fun just riding a bike these days? Since when can better equipment make you a better rider if all you do is post pictures of it on the internet and brag about how cool it looks?

Sorry for the semi rant. I just don't understand why the people with the most money are often the least talented.:nopity: :oink:

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Well. It's not good to be a snob towards other people.

However, if you've got the money, I don't care if you buy a $10k Ferrari-branded road bike or a $10k custom Canfield with all the bling, and let it sit on top of your car all year. It's money going back into the bike industry and that's always a good thing.

People can spend money anyway they want. It shouldn't be forced on others, though (e.g. "your Mongoose sucks, 'cause it's not a Turner").

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
Out of my mind, back in a moment.
Some people take pride in having the best stuff ouit there. Some people don't care and will drop off a house on a 15 year old schwinn hardtail. Some people fit some of both categories.

The point is, if it makes them happy, what's wrong with them being happy? Just hang out with the group you identify most. They're still cyclists, just like you. It's sort of the same as the idea that roadies and mountain bikers are all bikers too (and the stupid hate between the two is just ridiculous).

justsomeguy

Monkey
Oct 3, 2005
Spokompton said:
I just hink it's funny how people invest sooo much money into things they never even us for its intended purpose.
Here are a few things for you to ponder:

Who are you to decide what a bike's "intended purpose" is for someone?

Have you ridden with those pinkbike kiddies and those MTBR "snobs" so that you can make an intelligent comparison?

Why are people that have nicer bikes than you or your friends "snobs"?

Why do you seem to only define bike riding talent by the size of the drop/size of their balls and/or the inability ot post pictures on the net?

Why do you equate people sharing their stoke for riding with bragging?

"Don't people have fun just riding a bike these days?" Mr. Pot, meet Mr. Kettle.

It is about the the ride, not the ride...

PoserNewbie

Monkey
Feb 14, 2003
Lower Mainland, BC
Just chill out and stop worrying about other people. Go out for a ride and have fun. Do you really care if they spend $1000 on a shock and just hucking of the curb? Like mentioned above, it is good for the industry. Another good example is alot of people who bought Porsche's and Ferrari's may not necessarily the best drivers in the world but they bought it just because they can.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
I suck. I have crappy bikes but I ack like they're all cool and bling bling. I am such an elitest snob.

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
When I first joined the Monkey and started riding trails, my rig was a steel frame Mongoose from Dicks. I knew absolutely nothing about shocks or shifters, but damn it was fun just tooling around on it.

MudGrrl

AAAAH! Monkeys stole my math!
Mar 4, 2004
Boston....outside of it....
I'm with Bluebug.

My first bike was not from a LBS...
It was heavy, the shifting sucked...but boy, did I have a great time on it.

I still can't ride.
But I have lotsa fun not riding well.

:thumb:

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
Out of my mind, back in a moment.
TreeSaw said:
LOL! Well, I wasn't barefoot (had my slippers on) but I was baking cookies and making lasagne last night. :think:
I was close.

Now the only thing I don't get is....

If women are supposed to be barefoot and pregnant in the kitchen, why does the belly stick out front? It prevents them from getting close to the stove.

*ducks*

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Lets get real here: this is an internet board. What goes on here has very little to do with real riding.

At N*, I saw someone on an old GT hardtail with a 90's Judy fork hit the stunts like a pro (which he was). Is his bike worthy of discussion here?

Spokompton

Monkey
May 15, 2005
Spokane WA
On mtbr in the turner forum. Just look at ride pics, 4-5 foot drop to flat after 4-5foot drop to flat.

I guess most of them are not snobs, because they don't trash talk lesser bikes. I would call them posers more than anything.

Sure it's nice to have them dumping money into the bike industry, but those types of buyers just drive up the prices for us poor folks. If there weren't so many people willing to drop $700+ on a fork, then they wouldn't be selling for that much.

IN the end, it's really the posers that bug me just as much as the snobs. You know, the guys who say anything under $2000 for a dual suspension is trash and not worthy, yet they only ride their $4000 bike at 30% of what it's capable of.

What I find humorous, is the Turner guys going to DH FR equipment on their 6 packs WHILE still rocking the egg beaters and lightweight components for riding uphill.

Over 80% of penis enlargement surgeries are to impress other men at the gym. It's not often that men get them enlarged for their girl's pleasure which in fact women don't care about size as much as how you use it. How's that much different than buying freeride equipment for XC riding? Seems the forums are the gym to show off at, and the actual need for it on the trail isn't there.

HUmans are silly:oink:

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
robdamanii said:
I was close.

Now the only thing I don't get is....

If women are supposed to be barefoot and pregnant in the kitchen, why does the belly stick out front? It prevents them from getting close to the stove.

*ducks*
That would be the same questions I have asked Sq-Earl many times during this pregnancy :p

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
I seriously don't care what you choose to ride.....unless I have to work on it ;)

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
So, again, the question is, who cares?

If it makes 'em happy, let 'em do it. If they're riding at 10% or 90% of the bike's capability, they're happy with what they're doing.

I enjoy wrenching on bikes, and if I ever lost the capacity to ride, I'd probably want to still wrench on them. If I bought project bikes, built them and sold them, would that make me a poser? No? What if I held onto them for a year in between building and selling it? If not, how is that different from what these guys are doing?

Let people spend money on what they want to spend money on. It doesn't affect you in the least.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Spokompton said:
Sure it's nice to have them dumping money into the bike industry, but those types of buyers just drive up the prices for us poor folks. If there weren't so many people willing to drop $700+ on a fork, then they wouldn't be selling for that much.
So let me get this straight: let's say 50% of the high end market are people who can't ride. So you take away the 50% and that will make prices go down? 50% fewer sales will lower prices?

Spokompton said:
IN the end, it's really the posers that bug me just as much as the snobs. You know, the guys who say anything under $2000 for a dual suspension is trash and not worthy, yet they only ride their $4000 bike at 30% of what it's capable of.

What I find humorous, is the Turner guys going to DH FR equipment on their 6 packs WHILE still rocking the egg beaters and lightweight components for riding uphill.
The guys I ride with either work their asses off, save every dime, or ride so well they a factory ride. We all ride fancy bikes because we earn them.

What's your excuse for riding a piece of sh*t? You're not a poseur?

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Spokompton said:

Turner is refining a 29er for release this summer... :drool:

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
robdamanii said:
Some people take pride in having the best stuff ouit there. Some people don't care and will drop off a house on a 15 year old schwinn hardtail. Some people fit some of both categories.

The point is, if it makes them happy, what's wrong with them being happy? Just hang out with the group you identify most. They're still cyclists, just like you. It's sort of the same as the idea that roadies and mountain bikers are all bikers too (and the stupid hate between the two is just ridiculous).
Some people also believe in having the best gear for whatever they are doing. If they have the money, why not let them be happy? I am a reaklly REALLy crappy rock climber. I have nice shoes and a nice harness. Why? Because then I am super comfortbale and have confidence in my gear and I know the only thing making me crappy is myself.

This would go triple for bikes. A good bike with nice suspension can make an afternoon extremely comfortable and safe, where as that may not be the case on a crappy walmart bike.

Spokompton

Monkey
May 15, 2005
Spokane WA
binary visions said:
So, again, the question is, who cares?

If it makes 'em happy, let 'em do it. If they're riding at 10% or 90% of the bike's capability, they're happy with what they're doing.

I enjoy wrenching on bikes, and if I ever lost the capacity to ride, I'd probably want to still wrench on them. If I bought project bikes, built them and sold them, would that make me a poser? No? What if I held onto them for a year in between building and selling it? If not, how is that different from what these guys are doing?

Let people spend money on what they want to spend money on. It doesn't affect you in the least.
Well first of all, having people willing to spend retarded amounts of money on gear DOES effect us all. They in turn drive up prices. They wouldn't be trying to sell forks for so much if no one paid those prices.

I ride a 6pack geared to the teeth with high end components. Most of the parts I buy are last years and on sale. I don't care about having the latest toy to show off on the forums. I also ride the snot out of my gear like it was made for doing. I do upwards of 10 foot drops on my pack/boxxer setup, yet you will never see me bragging with photos.

That's what sets people apart. Having a nice bike doesn't make you a snob or poser. Having a nice bike just to be "better" than others makes you a snob.