Quantcast

where's the Bromont 2009 thread?!

Salty4X

Monkey
Jun 17, 2006
I wasn't really trying to argue 4X vs DS, and I have no idea why every time 4X is mentioned, the same people post up comments about how unrad it is compared to DS. THIS WASN'T ABOUT THAT. My initial post was about how the UCI sucks when it comes to reviews and 4X decisions. My last post was to simply clue you in that nobody's opinion really matters in this situation. Not mine, Lee's, or the vet's like Ska Todd. Just do your sport, and quit worrying and posting up how bad you hate 4X. WE KNOW. I'd rather have both DS and 4X at my races, but that is an opinion as well. As far as the top DH guys not racing 4X...whatever their reasons are, it is the smartest thing to do. They are two different sports with different skill sets to race both and neither should be changed so the same people that race one can do well at another. Training for both would hinder or take time away from the other. Unless your a golden child, then you cant win at everything. Have your 4X and eat your DH too, is not the option any more.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
i saw Minnaar is using a Leatt-type brace in one of the corporate SCruz video. does he normally practice with it? i have never seem him race with one

caballero

Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
good ol' europe
Just do your sport, and quit worrying and posting up how bad you hate 4X. WE KNOW. I'd rather have both DS and 4X at my races, but that is an opinion as well. As far as the top DH guys not racing 4X...whatever their reasons are, it is the smartest thing to do. They are two different sports with different skill sets to race both and neither should be changed so the same people that race one can do well at another. Training for both would hinder or take time away from the other. Unless your a golden child, then you cant win at everything. Have your 4X and eat your DH too, is not the option any more.

so back to topic ...

I have never seen 100+ riders for a 4x round. In fact the few times they tried to run 64 this year, there were brackets of 3.
90+ in maribor and houffalize ...

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
I wasn't really trying to argue 4X vs DS, and I have no idea why every time 4X is mentioned, the same people post up comments about how unrad it is compared to DS. THIS WASN'T ABOUT THAT. My initial post was about how the UCI sucks when it comes to reviews and 4X decisions. My last post was to simply clue you in that nobody's opinion really matters in this situation. Not mine, Lee's, or the vet's like Ska Todd. Just do your sport, and quit worrying and posting up how bad you hate 4X. WE KNOW. I'd rather have both DS and 4X at my races, but that is an opinion as well. As far as the top DH guys not racing 4X...whatever their reasons are, it is the smartest thing to do. They are two different sports with different skill sets to race both and neither should be changed so the same people that race one can do well at another. Training for both would hinder or take time away from the other. Unless your a golden child, then you cant win at everything. Have your 4X and eat your DH too, is not the option any more.
if the top DH racers raced 4x you'd see what 'skill sets' are lacking from the 4x crowd of used-to-be bmx racers. case in point, Gee Atherton in Belgium this year: no gate starts in months and smoked the 4x boys 'off the couch' as they say. without the top dh guys racing the general skill level is way watered down, heck you don't even need uci points to race 4x that's how bad its become. and i hate to say it, but the general tend for being a top 4x racer is to have not quite made it (or no longer making it) in DH or BMX first.

if the specific skill they need is gate starts and hitting rythm sections and jumps in a straight line then there is already a sport for that with lots of permanently built tracks all over the world. :thumb:

Who does Jared Graves name as his biggest competition at World Champs? Saladini, Atherton, Wichman, Prokop? Nope, Sam Willoughby, Australian junior BMX champ. which for me pretty much seals the deal that you don't even need to race world cup 4x (or any 4x for that matter) to win it. Laaaame

Last edited:

Eastern States Cup

Turbo Monkey
Feb 29, 2008
East Coast
One of the kid's practice runs.

came out pretty good

oh yea, a couple friends made the 4 hour drive up this weekend to see the DH, after the race they walked around the pits for a while. The left 1/2 hour before 4X, I couldn't convince them to stay to watch even though they had nothing else going on.

I tend to agree with all the negative 4x comments:thumb:

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
maybe YOU should be racing and supporting 4X then.
There's nothing to support. Just ask Trek, Giant, Monster, Santa Cruz, Mondraker, etc why they can't be bothered. The $500k+ Bromont track is permanent and open to the public, but in 2 weeks it will be covered in grass like last year and the only people on it will be sessioning the last 2 jumps on their dh bikes.

you might be 4x's biggest fan, but you're not going to be able to prop its corpse up with wishful thinking.

Last edited:

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
yeah that hurt real bad, like 1st grade bad. ouch :crazy:

I think I'll go buy a camera and lurk at the hotseat until i feel better
Good 1st grade burn yourself.

I must apologize to you and you only for hanging out at the finish line to get some quality shots and get paid instead of going up to just watch, wishing that I was good enough to still "compete". But don't worry, 125th last year at MSA was a top notch result so you still have it! (ego boost button engaged)

Say hi to the Evil boys and Steve Smith as you lurk around their pit telling everyone that you are a sponsored Evil rider.

Salty4X

Monkey
Jun 17, 2006
Good 1st grade burn yourself.

I must apologize to you and you only for hanging out at the finish line to get some quality shots and get paid instead of going up to just watch, wishing that I was good enough to still "compete". But don't worry, 125th last year at MSA was a top notch result so you still have it! (ego boost button engaged)

Say hi to the Evil boys and Steve Smith as you lurk around their pit telling everyone that you are a sponsored Evil rider.

Start calling this guy RUFLESS. :rimshot:

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
i don't compete anymore and haven't taken dh racing really seriously since probably '97, no big secret there. and i pay for all my own ****, no secret there either. Evil? ha, Todd and I have been friends for a long time. i don't ride an Evil because of race results silly.

man, you got me. 125th crashed out of qualifying, but 77th the year before bringing up the back of the pack with a belly-flop. thanks for taking the time to look that up, i thought i got last.

tough to lurk around the pit your supposed to be using, by the way. but at least you knew where to find the pic on my facebook:thumb:

Last edited:

fortenndu

Turbo Monkey
Apr 22, 2008
Boone, NC
You kill me bro. LOL!

Hey Cunter nice Platty DH#3 vid. The best part is around 5:41. Watch out if I ever put a whole good run together!
Nice man, that section was so much fun, I wonder what assholes made it so damn flowy, until the completely flat part that is.

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
Rufus - I have known Dave & Lee from racing & riding since oh, about 96 or 97. They have been around the Northeast racing scene before some of the groms were even sitting up and eating solid foods. When did you come around exactly?

I "sponsor" them because they go to a lot of races, ride Bromont or Diablo practically every weekend, give excellent product feedback but most importantly because they are articulate about product, set-up, and general information. I cannot say the same about 1/2 of the World Cup athletes I have known over the past decade.

Regarding them "lurking" in my pit? They are more than welcome anytime, anywhere with my teams. Hell, at 1/2 the races this year we've split a hotel room! IIRC, a certain Yeti "sponsored" photographer did his own fair share of "lurking", leaving his gear in my pit, and bumming free Red Bulls at the US Open. So, don't be calling someone out for the very thing he was openly invited to do.

-ska todd

i saw Minnaar is using a Leatt-type brace in one of the corporate SCruz video. does he normally practice with it? i have never seem him race with one

Its the Alpinestars Bionic Neck Support brace I really like mine and I dont have a clearace issue even with my Fox V3 moto helmet. I have seen him wear one a couple of times but no more than a handfull. I have been wondering why him and as of late the Yeti boys go back and forth with and without.

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
Todd, I'll shoot you a PM in a few. No more of this in this thread.
Rufus - I have known Dave & Lee from racing & riding since oh, about 96 or 97. They have been around the Northeast racing scene before some of the groms were even sitting up and eating solid foods. When did you come around exactly?

I "sponsor" them because they go to a lot of races, ride Bromont or Diablo practically every weekend, give excellent product feedback but most importantly because they are articulate about product, set-up, and general information. I cannot say the same about 1/2 of the World Cup athletes I have known over the past decade.

Regarding them "lurking" in my pit? They are more than welcome anytime, anywhere with my teams. Hell, at 1/2 the races this year we've split a hotel room! IIRC, a certain Yeti "sponsored" photographer did his own fair share of "lurking", leaving his gear in my pit, and bumming free Red Bulls at the US Open. So, don't be calling someone out for the very thing he was openly invited to do.

-ska todd

cneums

Monkey
Jul 9, 2009
Maryland, USA
man, you guys are lucky. i wish i could even attend a WC event, much less "lurk" in anyone's pits. (that sounds a little strange in retrospect :think:).

AlmostHeaven

Turbo Monkey
Jun 8, 2005
VIRGINIA
way too much knob-shining going on in this thread. no longer interesting or pertinent.

un-sticky needed, STAT.

edit: just watched Ulmer's practice run vid and - DAYUM - that looks like such a fun track!

Last edited:

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
heck you don't even need uci points to race 4x that's how bad its become.
I think you can just register to race simply with an International license. You might not even need an Elite license. (but check w/ your federation on that before you go and get one and blame me for it :D )

-ska todd

Neal_Wood

Chimp
Aug 5, 2009
and i hate to say it, but the general tend for being a top 4x racer is to have not quite made it (or no longer making it) in DH or BMX first.
let's have a look on this one...

Graves - Olympic BMX finalist 08, NORBA DH series overall title

Rinderknecht - qualified for the BMX Olympics, still amongst the top riders at just about any BMX SX round he enters

Prokop - same as Rinderknecht

Slavik - top notch european BMX Elite racer, beat Prokop in his prime on a couple of occasions, decided to focus on 4x

Wichman - same as Slavik

Saladini - Junior DH world champion

Madill - finalist in Elite men at this years BMX worlds

Dan Atherton - dunno bout that guy, heard he's doing quite ok in DH ;)

Tschugg - have you seen him at last years Rampage?

Cousine - probably faster on a DH bike than 99.9% of the people posting here

Polc - see Cousine

Willoughby - ever considered that Canberra is his hometown track and that - besides his current form on the BMX - might be why Graves names him?

so there you have your "has beens"... i could go on and on with the name dropping...

say whatever you want about 4cross but get your facts right. otherwise it might look as if you have no idea what your're talking about.

Last edited:

fearless

Chimp
Feb 7, 2006
let's have a look on this one...

Willoughby - ever considered that Canberra is his hometown track and that - besides his current form on the BMX - might be why Graves names him?
Just a little insight on Sam Willoughby. He comes from Perth in Western Australia which is a long way from Canberra.

He is 17 years old and BMX world junior champion.

Last year at the world cup in Canberra, Sam rode 4x for the first time. Sam finished 2nd overall. If you've watched the final of the 4x, Jarad was lucky to win. Sam was all over him. Since then, Jarad and Sam have spent alot of time together training. Sam is way quicker than last year and this is why Jarad is worried about the world champs.

You may think Mitch is quick, but wait until you see Sam ride.