Quantcast

Who has the best bike

v-digit

Turbo Monkey
Apr 3, 2006
Brooklyn, NY
cassette on a single speed setup? careful. i did that. until my chain jumped, skipped to upshift, then ripped and threw me over the bars. ouch.

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
cassette on a single speed setup? careful. i did that. until my chain jumped, skipped to upshift, then ripped and threw me over the bars. ouch.
i liek to be able to have a gear choice with just a 4mm allen.

adurham

Monkey
Jun 9, 2005
soon the porter will have a white Rock Shox argyle 318 and possibly singlespeed with only the rear brake

sokoloka

Monkey
Sep 14, 2005
San Diego / London
Here we go.

Step By Step.

1. Flip bike upsidedown/take off front wheel
2. remove lowers by:
-Undoing the bolt at the bottom of one of the legs.
-On the other leg with the rebound knob, remove the knob and stick in an 8mm allen key.
-Tighten this until it unthreads into the fork.
-Now just pull the lowers off. No oil will come out, dont worry.
3. Undo bolt at the bottom of spring side stanction leg
4. Remove compression rod assembly (this is a shiny thin metal tube). It wil have a variety of spacers, a short spring on it and such
5. you will see a black plastic spacer right near the top out spring. Add more spacers there. Add the the length of spacers you want to lower it by. Find something that fits snugly around the compression rod. I used rubber garden hose washers that come around 20 for $1

*OPTIONAL STEP*
6. Cut spring down by the length you added in spacers, leaving a little more for you to preload the spring as you tighten the bolt at the bottom of the stanction leg. I didn't do this, instead I just shoved the spring back in there, essentially adding extra preload in the amount of however many spacers I put in there. Makes it hella stiff.
*OPTIONAL STEP*

7. Bolt all that **** back together.

If you are mechanically inclined, this will take about 10 minutes and should make perfect sense to you. Give it a whirl! I love my jumper in 65mm mode.

sokoloka

Monkey
Sep 14, 2005
San Diego / London

ps its forsale.
What the hell's going on with the shiver in your first picture?

And no problem with the instructions - since you're dropping the travel by essentially preloading the fork more - there's less stanchion exposed and it does reduce the ride height of an already short fork - giving my BlkMrkt all the more BMX'er feel:banana:

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
lowering your jumper that way will cause it to break over time if you ride hard. i had two done like these in the past and both had catostrophic endings, you have to cut the spring or it will be bad new bears. what chain is that on the p3? me want