Quantcast

who's holdn out for new boxxer?

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
It's a 203mm Hope floating rotor. Just running a 203mm RS adaptor and two small (like 1mm) spacers. Took the fork for a ride today after hooking up the front brake, lowering the crowns on the stanchions and playing with the pressures. It's my first experience owning an RS fork (long time Dorado and Marz owner) and I'm quite happy with it.
:poster_oops: My bad!

Muttely

Monkey
Jan 26, 2009
Id just like to take a moment, to explain that even though i love me 09 40's, i hate all people who have got their boxxers, and wish i could afford one of the new WC's more than most things on this planet!

BmxConvert

Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Longview, Washington
I got to pull a '10 WC apart today. It was an interesting experience as Sram wasn't sure on the process of the overhaul but did a fantastic job of getting me the info I needed.
It wasn't a full tear down but the basic pull the lowers, lube the bushings, change the oil. The little "e" clip on the bottom of the rebound knobs is kind of a pain the butt to get out and back in. There are wrench flats to unthread the rebound knob assembly as a whole and you COULD just set a socket on the small rebound knob to break the damper rod free of the lowers. The problem with this is that there are detent balls on the large rebound knob and damage could be done to them. What I ended up doing was taking out the knob assembly as a whole and sliding a long small diameter socket into the lower and taping it free that way.
I had planned on taking pictures but I left my camera at home.

I have to say I think it's pretty awesome that Sram had the stanchion anodized with the entire Boxxer logo. I was under the impression that it was anodized/etched to say Box and nothing more as it's not neccasary to go any further, but it was cool to see that the letter was complete.

I noticed a slight amount of twisting within the crowns after it was assembled and reinstalled but it was an easy fix.

-Kevin

Yeti

Monkey
May 17, 2005
yeti cave@the beach
Sort of destroyed my 2007 boxxer team right before easter and got an upgrade/warranty deal yesterday for a 2010 boxxer team from the swiss distribuitor. Should be getting it in 2-3 weeks. First batch arrived to switzerland last week but they were all already sold.
A bit off topic: for those of you who already have it...what good are the new rebound settings? and how have you set them up? Have been thinking about it without coming to a logic conclusion about how to set them up. cheers!

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
I'm waiting to see how many people post pictures of their fork when it arrives. You know, as if they don't all look exactly the same

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
I'm not going to take a picture, but RS finally fixed one of my biggest pet peeves with the previous Boxxer. Ever since they switched to the recessed dust wiper design in '05 it's been a pain in the arse to pry them up without gouging the wiper or the fork leg. So they finally cut away a small notch in the back fork legs so there is a 10mm section where the wiper isn't recessed so it can be popped out easily with a screwdriver. 'bout effing time.

I also got a kick out of the fact that the maxel comes inscribed with instructions for installation and removal (I guess some people thought the old one was confusing?), but the maxel comes pre-installed and the 1st step of the removal instructions can't actually be read until it's removed. Brilliant!

downhillracer

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2005
Sammamish, WA
I also got a kick out of the fact that the maxel comes inscribed with instructions for installation and removal (I guess some people thought the old one was confusing?), but the maxel comes pre-installed and the 1st step of the removal instructions can't actually be read until it's removed. Brilliant!
Dude i must be retarded cuz i thought the old axel on my bros 07 team was confusing! But this is coming from a long time 40 owner and all i had to do was unscrew 4 pinch bolts and the axel unscrews out. but i am so stoked to ride my new boxxer tommorow!!!

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
Dude i must be retarded cuz i thought the old axel on my bros 07 team was confusing! But this is coming from a long time 40 owner and all i had to do was unscrew 4 pinch bolts and the axel unscrews out. but i am so stoked to ride my new boxxer tommorow!!!
It goes something like this:

(1)Loosen the bolt on the left side of the axel a couple turns. (2)Remove axel

Pip3r

Turbo Monkey
Nov 20, 2001
Foxboro MA

As pathetic as it is, I am guilty. All it took was one time for me to be talking to someone while doing it with my bike upside down to not think about it and permanently screw up my maxel, now I have to use a mallet to get it out. :poster_oops:

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
As pathetic as it is, I am guilty. All it took was one time for me to be talking to someone while doing it with my bike upside down to not think about it and permanently screw up my maxel, now I have to use a mallet to get it out. :poster_oops:
Hahaha. Piper, I also recall rebuilding your rear shock because it was topping out super hard only to find out after I'd finished that your swingarm was really just hitting your chain guide. You silly enginerds:clapping:

davetrump

Turbo Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
so i took mine out for a ride today, and the initial thoughts are...

well, it rides like a new fork that still needs a few more rides to break in :busted:

sorry, but i am not one of those guys that bolts something new on and says it is the best thing since the last new thing.

that said.... fork is stiff, adjustments have a large range and work (as in they change things, unlike say a fox dhx). the new maxle is great if you mess it up you need to have your tools taken away.

is it better than the previous boxxer? most likely, yes. craftsmanship is top notch, and with the adjustability alone I have no doubt this thing will be awesome once i get everything dialed and the break in period is over.... but for now it is a work in progress.

**edit... as with all previous boxxers there is no grease/lube nothing under the grey dust seals. pop those things up and put some slippery love under there. otherwise do not complain that you have a sticky fork :monkey:

Last edited:

schwaaa31

Turbo Monkey
Jul 30, 2002
Clinton Massachusetts
Very easy to re-install unless people keep tightening the expanding wedge side. I have seen the horror first hand. Same friend uses stones for tools so...:shocked:
You sonofabitch. I didnt use a rock, I just didnt know when to say when :disgust: I dont have Barbie hands like some people. :busted: I prefer a nut and bolt.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Im waiting to see how they hold up and how much attention they need to run smoothly.

I hope they take less maintenance than the older boxxer.

Last edited:

dilzy

Monkey
Sep 7, 2008
Im waiting to see how they hold up and how much attention they need to run smoothly.

I hope they take less maintenance than the older boxxer.
I doubt it considering the lower lube system is exactly the same. The seals won't have changed either, but the old boxxers were so easy to do the lower lube on, it took all of 5 min.

huntandride

Chimp
Feb 16, 2009
Reno
Haha Im guilty of almost all bolt tightening on my bike. 1) I hate my maxle i just suck at it and i have to do it upside down or else i just loose the race before it starts. I wish i just had pinch bolts like on my crappy spinner ammo. Only good thing about that fork. 2) "the headset wont tighten up so lets just twist it till the star nut strips and comes out with the top cap" 3) The one time i let my friend straighten my stem and tighten headset he neglects to tighten the stem back. I hit the first corner and all that turns is the bars! AH!

On Topic: The new boxxers look and sound great, I wish I had some money lying around.

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
Word on the pro street is they are nice, but not significantly nicer than the old ones.

But they are instantly recognisable as the new Boxxer.

John P.

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Golden, CO
best future after the biger diameter is the beginning and ending rebound adjuster.
I disagree. I thought the best future was when Marty travels forward with Doc and Biff has taken over the whole town with his gambling winnings. Those hovering skateboards were pretty radical, too.

Last edited: