Quantcast

Why has Acadian been so quiet lately...

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
Salami said:
TWO? :eek: Is the 155 with all your gear?

Damn! How stiff are the stock springs? According to the owner's manual soft, soft/soft is for a 120-140lb rider.
no no no...155 without gear.

I've always ran two Silver springs in my BoXXer - from 2000/2001 till now.

acair422

Monkey
Aug 20, 2003
ds dom, when i talked to magura to order my louise fr i'm pretty sure they sent the 8" adapter, but since i haven't gotten my sunday frame yet i dont kno if thats what you need, i've always heard maguras fit was a lil funky

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
OGRipper: Si

Supa8: Hard to tell..instead of spending my entire summer on the hills like in the past - I would like to also do a few good epic trail rides. But my gut feeling is that the Sunday will se more saddle time than my spot this summer ;)

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
trailhacker said:
If its not made by Intense or Sant Cruz, its not a VPP.
Unless of course you stumble across an Outland......
True, if he meant "VPP" in the sense of the patented and trademarked stuff.

But "virtual pivot" is also a generic term that describes a lot of bikes, too many to list. It generally means using multiple links to create an axle path that rotates around an imaginary ("virtual") pivot.

And just to add to the confusion, on some the virtual pivot location is not fixed but instead changes as you move through the stroke.

trailhacker

Turbo Monkey
Jan 6, 2003
In the hills around Seattle
OGRipper said:
True, if he meant "VPP" in the sense of the patented and trademarked stuff.

But "virtual pivot" is also a generic term that describes a lot of bikes, too many to list. It generally means using multiple links to create an axle path that rotates around an imaginary ("virtual") pivot.
I saw someone mentioned that a few posts later?
I looked at the bikes besides the Sunday he listed and ass/u/med he meant VPP.
OGRipper said:
And just to add to the confusion, on some the virtual pivot location is not fixed but instead changes as you move through the stroke.
Can I muudy it up a little more???
Isn't that the definition of "virtual" in that it is not fixed?

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
trailhacker said:
Can I muudy it up a little more???
Isn't that the definition of "virtual" in that it is not fixed?
Well no, not really, it's not the same - a virtual pivot point could be fixed, even if it's not fixed in a real place.

As I understand it most do change at some point during the travel stroke, but I don't think it has to be that way.

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
You are 100% right OG. Not all linkage bikes have moving "pivot points"

If you are calling any linkage driven axle suspension a virtual pivot, then that would include every non single pivot swingarm bike ever built. This includes Horst links and every other type ever built.

In fact, many popular 4 bar frames have almost imperceptible "virtual pivot" movement. The advantage is that you can de-couple pedaling and braking forces in the chassis. Just because a bike has a linkage suspensions doesn't make it useful though. There are plenty of linkage bikes that just dont/ cant do what they claim, and in some cases actually decrease performance over a comparable single pivot.

On the flip side and lucky for us, there are some of good ones also.

dw

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
dw said:
You are 100% right OG. Not all linkage bikes have moving "pivot points"

If you are calling any linkage driven axle suspension a virtual pivot, then that would include every non single pivot swingarm bike ever built. This includes Horst links and every other type ever built.

In fact, many popular 4 bar frames have almost imperceptible "virtual pivot" movement. The advantage is that you can de-couple pedaling and braking forces in the chassis. Just because a bike has a linkage suspensions doesn't make it useful though. There are plenty of linkage bikes that just dont/ cant do what they claim, and in some cases actually decrease performance over a comparable single pivot.

On the flip side and lucky for us, there are some of good ones also.

dw

How's that book comin' along, slack-ass?

- Tech support user

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
DS Dom said:
Also, what adaptor are you using for your avids? Im running maguras and im trying to find out if in need a 6" adaptor or an 8" adaptor
for the back you will need an Avid Adaptor #732025 to run a 203mm rotor.

Salami

Turbo Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Waxhaw, NC
Did you get that thing built yet????

My Jazz Blue frame was delivered to the shop this morning via UPS!! :dancing: :D The pressure is on. It should be going out 3 day this afternoon so I have it Friday. It will be built up Friday (if I get umm, cough, cough, "sick") or Saturday.

Git on it, boy!!! :p

da monk

Chimp
Apr 5, 2005
I beat ya to it :)

I hope you love yer bike and I appologize you had to wait so long but you will be stoked, fer sure and you will forget the pain and agony of the suffering we put you through. The one pictured actually is not my bike...it's a buddies. The completes should be along soon though I guess.

PS She pedals really nice and feels fast as fark :)

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Hmmm...so what suspension designs could be considered VP?

DW? Maestro? i-Drive?

I'm confused as to how the VP works and why it's efficient.

GT's whole thing on ID is that it isolates the drivetrain from the suspension, does VP use the same concept?

Anything dual link?

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Like we said above, you need to distinguish "VP" from "VPP." "Virtual pivot" is a generic term that describes a lot of bikes, too many to list. "VPP" is a trademarked and patented design that I'm pretty sure can only be used by Santa Cruz and Intense right now.

Someone else will need to explain why VP (or VPP ;) ) is good, but some say it allows you break free from the limitations of "actual" pivot locations.

DHDror

Monkey
Feb 7, 2005
Israel
I think that what raely makes the VPP so different is that the chainstays tries to elongates as you push down on the crancks but the chain pulls the rear towards the BB as you pedal and the two forces resists each other.

take a look at a VP-free that is pedaled standing up and it will look as solid as a hardtail.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
blue said:
Hmmm...so what suspension designs could be considered VP?
Don't use the abbreviation "VP", it looks like you just forgot a "P" off the trademarked term.

A virtual pivot design is simply one in which the point at which the axle pivots around doesn't exist as a physical location, but rather, it exists somewhere in space. For all intents and purposes, anything that's not a single pivot design falls into this category. In a single pivot design, obviously the axle pivots in a circular path around the main pivot (Kona-style 4-bars included, since the other linkages and pivots don't actually change the axle path), so the pivot exists as a physical location and is not virtual.

blue said:
I'm confused as to how the VP works and why it's efficient.
The answer is that it doesn't, and it's not ;). A properly designed virtual pivot bike can work great, and be efficient, but the fact that it's a virtual pivot doesn't make it good.

Virtual pivot designs allow for a lot of different axle paths that are not possible with single pivots, and I'd imagine it allows all the smart bike engineers to design their bikes more easily around an ideal physical model (in regards to stiffness, geometry etc.) since they don't have to design it around a fixed pivot.

mobius

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Around DC
Acadian i hate you. You were just on a money ass DHR when i met you at whistler last year.

Should have gotten green though :P its faster

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
mobius said:
Acadian i hate you. You were just on a money ass DHR when i met you at whistler last year.

Correction:

a SLOW ASS monkey on a money ass DHR ;)

Green might be faster - but black is pimp-er-er

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
mobius said:

Another reason to hate Acadian.
He lies like Rip Van Winkle on Ambien.
I just remembered last year, I think right after Interbike,
Luc and I were discussing the DH bikes we like through e-mail.
I told him how sweet I thought the Sunday was when I rode DWs,
and Luc busted out some negative crap about it he made up, knowing full well, he probaly already had it on order.
He is a :sneaky: :sneaky: :devil:
I knew all along that was what he was getting, especially when it took him to April to get it. :D

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
Jeremy R said:
Another reason to hate Acadian.
He lies like Rip Van Winkle on Ambien.
If there was a Monkey Award for "funniest posts" - you would win hands down. Every day I get chuckles from you...:thumb:

First one this morning was in Stik's thread when you said "at least he broke it while riding his bike, not driving a golf cart" LOLOL

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
unfortunately it doesn't have an Avalanche shock or a Cane Creek DB.

it also doesn't have Hope brakes - that might cause retina scars to some people. :rolleyes:

no Fox 40 either - guess I'm not "in"

:devil: