Quantcast

why in the hell do so many 20 inch riders not wear helmets?

why dont 20 inchers wear helmets?

• cause they are dumb

Votes: 19 32.2%
  • cause they like wheel chairs

Votes: 7 11.9%
  • cuase they were born without brains so who cares anyway

Votes: 8 13.6%
  • id hit it

Votes: 25 42.4%

• Total voters

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
so we were on a quick street ride tonight and we see 3 guys ride by on 20 inch bikes apparently riding some street like us. none of them have friggin helmets on, none! to top it off they have certainly reinforced the fact that most 20 inch riders are punk asses anyway cause when they rode by i said whats up and they all just gave the "im an anti society, f&ck them man 20 inch rider asshole sneer"

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
and i dont want any of this statistical crap about helmets dont really do any good when you are going 40 miles an hour down a one way street headfirst into the front blade of a bull dozer so why wear one anyway crap in this thread

Sep 17, 2003
yeah, i ride a 26 and i dont normally wear a helmet, unless its park or sometimes dirt jumps....i also give squishy riders the "im an anti society, f&ck them man 26 inch rider asshole sneer"
im so punk..ha!

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
Originally posted by crashedupderby
yeah, i ride a 26 and i dont normally wear a helmet, unless its park or sometimes dirt jumps....i also give squishy riders the "im an anti society, f&ck them man 26 inch rider asshole sneer"
im so punk..ha!
seriously though, and i ask this in all sincerity, do you not care about your most precious of body parts? your brain.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
people who don't wear their helmets, 20" or 26", think that their "flow" or looking cool/not losing face to their dumb peers is more worthwhile than having an intact skull.

flaunt all the stats you want, and sure helmets might not save the people who really auger in, but it's physics: having something crushable in between your head and whatever you're going to run into is undeniably good.

that said, i don't wear a helmet when riding my road bike in the winter, since my ears would freeze off. but xc, street, and especially trail (i've taken to wearing my motorcycle full face whenever there is jumping involved) always gets the helmet nod.

why 20" riders in particular don't wear helmets is a societal thing: the pro riders don't wear them with a few exceptions thus the local rippers don't wear 'em, and then the little kids suddenly get pressure to not wear them, and leave them hidden in the neighborhood after rolling out the door with one on to appease their mothers... :rolleyes: :dead:

dromond

Monkey
Aug 20, 2002
Northampton, MA
Originally posted by Toshi
why 20" riders in particular don't wear helmets is a societal thing: the pro riders don't wear them with a few exceptions thus the local rippers don't wear 'em, and then the little kids suddenly get pressure to not wear them, and leave them hidden in the neighborhood after rolling out the door with one on to appease their mothers... :rolleyes: :dead:

I think you hit it on the head right there. Pros don't where them, thus kids don't wear them (I think that this is pretty undeniable) and the new pros grow up not wearing them and thus continue to do so, perpetuating the thing. Yeah it's dumb.

Just keep wearing that thing and sneer back, you know who's the bigger idiot ;)

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Originally posted by Sideways
Get half or even a quarter the skills the local BMXers have and then talk.
totally irrelevant. how well i ride has NOTHING to do with the effectiveness of helmets.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003

dude this has nothing to do with skills i know those guys can kill me. they are better than i could ever imagine being.it is just an honest question.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
Originally posted by Toshi
totally irrelevant. how well i ride has NOTHING to do with the effectiveness of helmets.
and to continue, the better one gets the bigger stuff they try. going from peg grinding a ledge then to grinding handrails over a set of 20 steps and so on........all the more reason to wear a helmet.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Originally posted by biggins
and to continue, the better one gets the bigger stuff they try. going from peg grinding a ledge then to grinding handrails over a set of 20 steps and so on........all the more reason to wear a helmet.
case in point: the burly van homan crashes that you can see in "criminal mischief" for example. i think he knocks himself out in one of them actually :dead:

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
hey marshall by the way, h20bomberman and a friend are gonna give yall some help with setup firday. i think he has school but was way excited about lending a hand. you might wanna shoot him a pm and let him know where to meet you be it down town or the endless basement

dromond

Monkey
Aug 20, 2002
Northampton, MA
I think I'm going to have to go with Toshi on this one. Having skill on a bike does not give you better judgement concerning this issue.

Lexx D

Dirty Dozen
Mar 8, 2004
NY
Yeah I yelled at some of the kids I ride with the other day about helmets.
And about the BMX attitude......it's gutterpunk bullshyt. I'm the type that doesn't care what you ride as long as you ride.:confused:

Sideways

Monkey
Jun 8, 2002
Asheville, North Carolina
Y'all realize that you can get severely hurt doing anything.
You're the very same fool for not wearing a helmet in a car.
Oh, its not the norm to do so? Neither is it riding street.

Why should a random person on a bike agnologe you? Is there some bicycle brotherhood that all riders need to be clued into? Do you wave and say howdy to your fellow road riders when they zipp by?
Ever think that someone might be a little more focused on riding than mingling with random people on the street?

Stop passing jugment on BMX/ers if you aren't a part of it.
Thinking that you know better only proves your ignorance.

Sideways

Monkey
Jun 8, 2002
Asheville, North Carolina
hey marshall by the way, h20bomberman and a friend are gonna give yall some help with setup firday. i think he has school but was way excited about lending a hand. you might wanna shoot him a pm and let him know where to meet you be it down town or the endless basement
Moving stuff late Thursday night, hopefully.
10am Friday morning at Le Dungeon before breakfast at the Tastee Dinner, then a full day setting up the course.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
There are literally some BMX dudes who are amazing riders, almost never wreck, and know how to wreck without hitting their heads on the rare occasion they do wreck. Those guys, props to them, who the hell am I to tell them what to do?

The sad part is the kid with little or no skill who is wrecking all over the place, who goes without a helmet just so he can look like the elite riders. But who the hell am I to tell them what to do either?

Tame Ape

BUY HOPE!!!!!!!
Mar 4, 2003
NYC

Why should a random person on a bike agnologe you? Is there some bicycle brotherhood that all riders need to be clued into? Do you wave and say howdy to your fellow road riders when they zipp by?
Ever think that someone might be a little more focused on riding than mingling with random people on the street?

uuuhhh, its not a question of 'ignorance' or whatever handy put down you want to throw out there. You can try 'arrogant' or 'bleeding heart' too next time.

Biggins was asking a question as to why so many people trade off safety vs. style.

Personally I think its juvenille and immature to go big without a bucket of some sort...

Oh, and regarding those BMXers being douches and not saying 'hey' back, there just a pissed that your poaching their poach. This is still chest beating on the playground for now. See how friendly you guys will all be getting when kids on skateboards start showing up.

RandomV

Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
Indiana
Is it really just BMX'ers that don't wear their helmets?

Obviously they've changed the rules this season, but I've seen plenty of roadies in the peleton without 'em either, and that's probably equally if not more dangerous.

Most of the guys I ride with don't have a problem with MTB guys. So why is it in this thread I see words like "brainless," "idiots" and "punks" over and over describing guys who ride bikes with smaller wheels than yours?

Just ride your bike and quit worrying about what everyone else does. Please?

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
Originally posted by RandomV
Is it really just BMX'ers that don't wear their helmets?

Obviously they've changed the rules this season, but I've seen plenty of roadies in the peleton without 'em either, and that's probably equally if not more dangerous.

Most of the guys I ride with don't have a problem with MTB guys. So why is it in this thread I see words like "brainless," "idiots" and "punks" over and over describing guys who ride bikes with smaller wheels than yours?

Just ride your bike and quit worrying about what everyone else does. Please?
well if i am riding with one of these guys (most of which are badasses by the way) and they do something theyve done a hundred times before fall over and carck their dome on the concrete and their brains start spilling out all over the place then it does become my problem. it becomes a very big problem of mine. maybe if that happens i too will just adopt the fugit attitude and continue on my ride. it has nothing to do directly with the size of their wheels by the its just that it is a lot more common with 20 inch riders. im not bashing them cause of the bike they ride or anything and the part about their attitude was just a side note. my thing is that in the event of an accident if i am there it does become my problem and my concern, maybe ill just ride off and be like "huh, sucks be dead"

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
Well that's just heartless.
hey man what time are yall loading stuff thursday night, i have been trying to lend a hand but i been so busy lately that it has been impossible unil this week.

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
it is funny how one side has to use insults to describe the other side, whatever side that may be.

I always thought a sign of inteligence was not putting down others that you seem to think are of less inteligence.

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
choosing not to wear helmets is like choosing to smoke cigarettes (aka corp. crack) except you know cigs will eventually kill you. :D Sorry Biggins....I had to say it. :p

my helmets have increased in size in the last year, I started with a XC helmet, then a skate-style lid for park & urban, & finally the fullface for when I need an extra ounce of courage. I have hit my head too many times not wear one PLUS it doesnt matter how skilled you are, if a car doesnt see you & hits you a helmet may keep you from being a vegetable.

-TN (self righteous ex-smoker :D )

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
Originally posted by TN
choosing not to wear helmets is like choosing to smoke cigarettes (aka corp. crack) except you know cigs will eventually kill you. :D Sorry Biggins....I had to say it. :p

my helmets have increased in size in the last year, I started with a XC helmet, then a skate-style lid for park & urban, & finally the fullface for when I need an extra ounce of courage. I have hit my head too many times not wear one PLUS it doesnt matter how skilled you are, if a car doesnt see you & hits you a helmet may keep you from being a vegetable.

-TN (self righteous ex-smoker :D )
its cool, i new it was coming sooner or later.

dromond

Monkey
Aug 20, 2002
Northampton, MA

What I was referring to was people being stuckup assholes. Don't try to tell me that "those serious bmxers just have more important things to think about." :rolleyes:

And of course road riding without a helmet is (imho) significantly more dangerous than, say, street riding without one. I'm not sure if you're aware but the little invention called the seatbelt actually keeps you inside the call in a crash; makes a big difference.

I am not and do not tell anyone what to do, (well, maybe except my idiot friends, people I actually care about smashing their brains out :( ) but I can sure as hell say it's f#$@in stupid to not wear one.

cheers

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Originally posted by pnj
it is funny how one side has to use insults to describe the other side, whatever side that may be.

I always thought a sign of inteligence was not putting down others that you seem to think are of less inteligence.
i thought that was a sign of self-confidence, not intelligence. :D anyway, i think it's safe to say that those who don't use helmets are dumb. that's not putting them down, that's passing judgement on them. and given my grasp of physics (which is unchanged by whether i am part of the scene or not :rolleyes: ) i feel confident in doing just that.

nb: i act dumb, too, when i road ride without a skid lid.

Ifelloffabike

Monkey
Apr 14, 2003
Strong Island Ny
I almost never wear a helmet when im riding street or at a park i dont have to. I ride both bmx and 26" this way. its not beacuse i dont value my head, its just that i have over the years of riding found that im not one who is prone to landing on my head when i fall. I know one guy i ride with who i wouldnt ride with unless he was wearing a helmet (and a full face at the dirtjumps) because he has ****ty reaction time, ****ty instincts, and ****ty crashing skills. He falls on his head alot, I on the otherhand cant remember the last time i fell off my bike and my head made contact with the ground. Call me stupid all you want, but i am comfortable riding without a helmet. I dont worry about eating **** when airing 2-3 feet out of a 6 foot quarter because its second nature to me at this point. If i was worried about crashing i would wear a helmet. It also has nothing to do with seeing pro's not wearing helmets, i could care less.

Another little anictdote, my roomate rides bmx and never used to wear a helmet while riding street. After seeing our friend get his clock cleaned by the ground he started wearing a helmet. In the last few months he hasnt worn it while riding street because he realize that he knows how to fall and doesnt hit his head.

those of you who have a problem with me or anyone else not wearing a helmet get off your high horse. Just because you have a habbit of plunging headfirst into the ground doenst mean I do.

dromond

Monkey
Aug 20, 2002
Northampton, MA
Originally posted by Ifelloffabike
those of you who have a problem with me or anyone else not wearing a helmet get off your high horse. Just because you have a habbit of plunging headfirst into the ground doenst mean I do.
Who'se on the high horse? Personally, I think you kind of missed the point; but whatever. Ride on :thumb:

RUYORK

Chimp
Nov 13, 2002
Hell's Kitchen NYC
I almost never wear a helmet when im riding street or at a park i dont have to. I ride both bmx and 26" this way. its not beacuse i dont value my head, its just that i have over the years of riding found that im not one who is prone to landing on my head when i fall.

Another little anictdote, my roomate rides bmx and never used to wear a helmet while riding street. After seeing our friend get his clock cleaned by the ground he started wearing a helmet. In the last few months he hasnt worn it while riding street because he realize that he knows how to fall and doesnt hit his head.

Couldn't have said it better myself...

RUYORK

Chimp
Nov 13, 2002
Hell's Kitchen NYC
and i dont want any of this statistical crap about helmets dont really do any good when you are going 40 miles an hour down a one way street headfirst into the front blade of a bull dozer so why wear one anyway crap in this thread
If you pull that, you'll have more than head problems... Womanly little purple fairy helmet or not.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Originally posted by RUYORK
If you pull that, you'll have more than head problems... Womanly little purple fairy helmet or not.
not to overanalyze, but you just proved my point. feminine, unstylish, and possibly homosexual, helmets are, eh? :rolleyes:

Ifelloffabike

Monkey
Apr 14, 2003
Strong Island Ny
Originally posted by dromond
Who'se on the high horse? Personally, I think you kind of missed the point; but whatever. Ride on :thumb:

what, your side of the argument is making blanket statements about how people who dont wear helmets are stupid. That sounds like someone who is on a high horse. If you made a statement about someone who falls on their head on a routine basis being stupid for not wearing a helmet you would be right, but not everyone falls headfirst alot.

RUYORK

Chimp
Nov 13, 2002
Hell's Kitchen NYC
what, your side of the argument is making blanket statements about how people who dont wear helmets are stupid. That sounds like someone who is on a high horse. If you made a statement about someone who falls on their head on a routine basis being stupid for not wearing a helmet you would be right, but not everyone falls headfirst alot.
Good point even though I agree with him 100+%.

It's just that the new generation is getting "soft". NOBODY wore a helmet when I started with BMX's as a kid (in the street). They didn't even make those helmets then and I'm 28. When I raced for Redline, we wore them but we used the same helmets we used for DB racing.

Only the strong survive and natural selection is in effect. All men should show their masculinity and wearing those helmets does not make it happen. If something happens, it happens. I ride like a jackass in Manhattan and it's a chance I take every day. If I'm weaving in and out of traffic on Lexington ave and get hit by a bus or car, I'll have more problems than a concussion.

I mean, we're on bicycles here. Wear protection when it's really needed. If you "need" a helmet, you shouldn't be on a bike...

Motorcycles are a different story.

dromond

Monkey
Aug 20, 2002
Northampton, MA
I've only fallen headfirst once, ever. However I know it only takes one crash to mess your brain up royally; so I always take the simplest of precautions. So yeah, I think it's pretty stupid not to when (if you ride a lot) a concussion type fall is bound to happen eventually.

Or maybe I'm just soft and don't like getting knocked out and puking :)