Quantcast

Why?

OB1

Monkey
Jonkranked: Anti bike? I think you accidentally posted in the wrong thread.

I like to climb.
Shuttling is ok, depends on the trails. I like shuttling our local mountain because the one trail going UP is usually packed with hikers. The other DH trails going down are usually pretty empty. So it actually makes sense.
On the other hand, it seems that shuttling has become a big thing around here lately and so we now have big vans full of people with trailers going up the hill all weekend. What used to be a fairly under-the-radar thing has now attracted a lot of attention. We'll see how that plays out in the future.

But like many others in this thread, I could care less if someone shuttles or climbs up.
Yeah, that makes me nervous too. For the most part, shuttlers understand that they need to stay under the radar. But if guys block traffic, or park in idiotic places, trails could get shut down. Most good DH trail heads never planned for parking(aka shuttling). So it can be awkward for guys to try to unload. For me, we try to unload "near" the trail head, but off the main drag. Like a little fire road or something. But I definitely agree....the logistical part of shuttling can definitely draw unwanted attention.

Jimmysal

Monkey
Mar 26, 2010
Vermont
seriously guys? who cares... you sound like the anti-bike sierra club members with some of your logic. Its your bike, ride it how you want and have fun. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.
Agreed. GTFO and ride.

I'm pushing a heavy ass AM bike around XC trails because I need to get in shape, and it's all I have right now. Will I buy an XC bike in the near future for these trails? Bet it. Once May 1st rolls around and Snow starts selling lift tickets, will I buy one and ride the lift? Bet it.

I'm just in it for the ride. Hating on people for how they do their thing is some high school bs.

irishblue76

Monkey
Jul 21, 2008
Massachusetts
First, let me say, great thread.

I am only going into my third season of MTBing. My BF has been riding for over a decade. He used to be a XC racer and LOVES climbing. I have formed more of a liking towards DH/a little freeriding (very basic, still).

I have learned to appreciate all different aspects of riding but unfortunately, I just don't have the endurance to climb every hill yet. Due to this, it can be counter-productive (and even dangerous) for me to struggle up a big climb prior to making my way back down. I just end up being too tired to control my bike - that's no good for anyone.

At first, I felt intimidated into climbing the hills on the bike because I had several people tell me I "had to earn it". Thank goodnes I finally realized that's not always the best motto. In fact, the people who would repeated tell me that are the folks who I now think maybe aren't the most confident, etc. (And it's RARELY the best rider in the goup who says things like that.)

I think you should just ride to enjoy it. Now that I'm not feeling so pressured I climb when I want, shuttle when I want, and hike-a-bike when I need to.

Finally, I think there are probably a LOT more people who want to comment but we ALL ride with someone who we either think of as a "climber" or a "lazy-shuttler" and I think some people may be hesititant to post for fear that they will create more tension on the trails.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
People still ride bikes? I thought it was just to strap to my truck so I look cool when I drive around town.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
When I ride my dirt bike, I push to the top to feel like I'm earning my downs. All my friends think I'm crazy, but I feel validated.

Do what you want, ride your bike how you want. My idea of fun isn't climbing for 4 hours so I can ride my brakes down a fire road at 5 mph, but to some, it is. Biking is just like any other hobby. Make it yours.

OB1

Monkey
First, let me say, great thread.

At first, I felt intimidated into climbing the hills on the bike because I had several people tell me I "had to earn it". Thank goodnes I finally realized that's not always the best motto. In fact, the people who would repeated tell me that are the folks who I now think maybe aren't the most confident, etc. (And it's RARELY the best rider in the goup who says things like that.)

I think you should just ride to enjoy it. Now that I'm not feeling so pressured I climb when I want, shuttle when I want, and hike-a-bike when I need to.
Good stuff Irish. Sounds like you actually read the thread unlike a couple posers....I mean posters.:p;) I'm feeling more and more confidant about the reasoning behind shuttle haters. It is in large part, about competition and hazing. Many climbers who become very good at DH, still hate on shuttling. Not just tout the benefits of climbing as exercise(agreed)...but actually hating on shuttling(lame). As you said, many guys feel pressured into climbing. So even those climbers who become good dh'rs, return the favor by pressuring everyone around them to climb since they were forced. A form of hazing, or jumping in.:boss: "I had to do it...so you should too." Maybe we will change the whole DH community with this thread!:rofl: Climbers and shuttlers as friends...dogs and cats, living together....mass hysteria!:weee:

When I ride my dirt bike, I push to the top to feel like I'm earning my downs. All my friends think I'm crazy, but I feel validated.

Do what you want, ride your bike how you want. My idea of fun isn't climbing for 4 hours so I can ride my brakes down a fire road at 5 mph, but to some, it is. Biking is just like any other hobby. Make it yours.
Agreed...that's why I always masturbate with a cheese grater before sex. You have to earn it man! haha, jk. Of course everyone should ride any way they like without judging others for it.

Last edited:

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
I think we can chalk all this up to:

You're alway going to have some "purists" that have an issue with one thing or another. Who cares?

If you think this is a big issue in mountain biking and it bothers you, I suggest you stay away from rock climbing. A really fun sport, but they're way worse about the dos and don't dos.

OB1

Monkey
I think we can chalk all this up to:

You're alway going to have some "purists" that have an issue with one thing or another. Who cares?

If you think this is a big issue in mountain biking and it bothers you, I suggest you stay away from rock climbing. A really fun sport, but they're way worse about the dos and don't dos.
Morale of your post.....if you're a black DH kid, you will eventually ruin your life with drugs. Got it. (jk, I agree)

Btw, is there anything wrong with a rock climber shuttling up, and only climbing down???hehehe

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
is there anything wrong with a rock climber shuttling up, and only climbing down???hehehe

typically its called rappelling then :thumb:

and those whole thread is stupid. your annoyance with riders that are purists is just as stupid and pointless as their annoyance with shuttlers. I bet somewhere on the internet the guys that complained about your friends shuttling started a thread complaining about people that shuttle and don't earn their turns or whatever lame catch phrase they wanna use.

I posted this in the Dh forum and its definitely applicable here:

http://bit.ly/bqn5sn

no one wants to hear a bunch of bitching just shut the fvck up and ride dude.

Last edited:

OB1

Monkey
your annoyance with riders that are purists is just as stupid...blah blah blah
I am not annoyed with purists. That would be an ignorant assumption. The thread is about why PURISTS are annoyed with shuttlers. Reading comprehension FAIL.:rofl:

...and those whole thread is stupid.
...always the start of a brilliant post....

Last edited:

owentking

Chimp
Mar 28, 2010
Mountains of Rock
Owen, that's an interesting perspective. I take a little different view. As a DH team manager. Small bike shop team, but still a team. I tell my guys to spend their week dirt jumping, XC, bmx, etc. When we get a chance to be up on a mountain, it's go time. Pure shuttle. There is no substitute for saddle time on an actual DH course for a DH'r in my mind. We inspect the trail, time trial, and share line ideas. I guarantee nobody has anything left in the tank at the end of the day. Endurance, spent. Strength, spent. Blood, let. I would be disappointed if one of my guys/gals used precious DH energy/time pedaling up a hill. Thats what mid-week is for. At the bottom of each run, I want to see them keel over with burning lungs in sheer exhaustion from pedaling/pumping DOWN the hill. Although....to play devils advocate.... if I lived 10 minutes from good DH runs, you would see me pedaling up a lot during a week. But for most of us, 1 or 2 days a week on the mtn is all we can muster. Gotta squeeze in as much gravity as physically possible. Am I wrong?
I think we're on the same page. I believe you about being absolutely dead at the end of a day of DH riding. I know I am. (though I haven't ridden true DH in a few years due to cracking a Troy Lee up the back and then dislocating my elbow a week later. I do the AM thing mainly.) What I was saying is that for a rider to truely train they need to do both. The rider that spends time doing things like DJ, XC and BMX is going to be better then the rider who only ever shuttles there bike. I also believe that if a rider wants to really train they should also do things completely unrelated to riding, like running and lifting weights at the gym. Hell, throw some yoga in there, keep yourself loose. The person that spends the most time in the strictly DH saddle isn't necassarily the best rider. IMO. And my opinion here is solely for the rider that wants to be competitive. If all they want to do is ride there bike then forget everything I've said and shuttle like a fiend.:thumb: I personally don't race bikes. My competitive edge was in snowboarding. Did all the same things though. :D

OB1

Monkey
if they don't bother you then stfu and get on with your life.
Nah, I'll just keep posting up whatever I find interesting. You can keep focusing on being an angry prick with a keyboard and 16000 posts...telling others to "get a life." :feminist: hahaha

I think we're on the same page. I believe you about being absolutely dead at the end of a day of DH riding. I know I am. (though I haven't ridden true DH in a few years due to cracking a Troy Lee up the back and then dislocating my elbow a week later. I do the AM thing mainly.) What I was saying is that for a rider to truely train they need to do both. The rider that spends time doing things like DJ, XC and BMX is going to be better then the rider who only ever shuttles there bike. I also believe that if a rider wants to really train they should also do things completely unrelated to riding, like running and lifting weights at the gym. Hell, throw some yoga in there, keep yourself loose. The person that spends the most time in the strictly DH saddle isn't necassarily the best rider. IMO. And my opinion here is solely for the rider that wants to be competitive. If all they want to do is ride there bike then forget everything I've said and shuttle like a fiend.:thumb: I personally don't race bikes. My competitive edge was in snowboarding. Did all the same things though. :D
Bingo, I don't disagree with any of that.:thumb: I know we're kinda getting off topic...but who cares, it's Ridemonkey. Cross training is huge! Personally, I'm getting old. I realize I'll never be the next hot pro in some sport. So I'm much happier trying to be good at 20 sports, rather than great at 1.

BTW, I just walked in the door from a 5 mile single track ride with my 10yr old. I used my Cheeta bmx bike just for giggles. Rock gardens look TOTALLY different!:eek:

Last edited:

OB1

Monkey
I can't believe you're even talking about shuttlers. It's always better to pedal up a hill. Shuttlers are pure trash. Officials should wake up and start towing their sticker covered trucks.
Well....at least we got ONE person to step up from the pro-hate group. JonKranky has the real hatred of shuttlers we've been talking about. Apparently even talking about shuttling is enough to set these guys off. It's kinda sad that they have to bring that anger to the hills.

I agree with everyone else in this thread...."it's lame to hate on anyone for riding any way they want. Who cares if they shuttle or pedal!" Man, that would be nice to see. Next time I come across someone on a trail who is whining about how someone else rides their bike, I will laugh. Nothing will change their bitter personalities. So I'll do my best to avoid them like usual.

Last edited:

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
One of my favorite games is slashing shuttlers tires at the bottom of trails. It's so easy to get away, all I have to do is pedal uphill and they can't follow with their dastardly engineless motorcycles!

My 13 y/o son broke his back downhilling and I won't rest until that malignant tumor on mountain biking is cut off like an ugly, hairy mole.

owentking

Chimp
Mar 28, 2010
Mountains of Rock
One of my favorite games is slashing shuttlers tires at the bottom of trails. It's so easy to get away, all I have to do is pedal uphill and they can't follow with their dastardly engineless motorcycles!

My 13 y/o son broke his back downhilling and I won't rest until that malignant tumor on mountain biking is cut off like an ugly, hairy mole.
Wow. Thats some extremely negative ****. I'm sorry that your son broke his back DHing but is that reason enough to hate Down Hill MOUNTAIN BIKING? I feel for you and your son. I can't imagine the pain that that must have caused both emotionally and physically but still.... You obviously love mountain biking cause you're a member of a mountain biking forum so by hateing on DH mountain biking youre hateing on mountain biking. I mean, you're son could have just as easily broken his back being a hardcore XC rider. And do you have this hatred towards any other sport where he was injured? Football, hockey, skiing, snowboarding? **** happens and thats just the way it goes. Again, I'm sorry that you're son broke his back thats horrible and I want to extend any condolences that I can but wow, thats a lot of hatred that I feel is being channeled to maybe mask grief? Who knows? I'm not a shrink. And again, I can't stress enough that I'm sorry for your son. I just feel that targeting random people that had nothing to do with your sons accident is just wrong. (and I'm hoping that the slashing tire thing is really just in your head.):rant:

This thread has taken an interesting turn now that some people on the other side of the line have spoken up.:D

owentking

Chimp
Mar 28, 2010
Mountains of Rock
Man...another thread is gonna be shat upon by someone looking for a pissing match. hahaha...shat
I hope not. I was enjoying the hippie, feel the love, it doesn't matter cause you're riding your bike vibe that people were throwing out there.:wub: Man, haters always have to tear it down, no matter whats being hated on.:shakefist: Can't we all just get along?:rofl:

moff_quigley

Why don't you have a seat over there?
Jan 27, 2005
Poseurville
Wow. Thats some extremely negative ****. I'm sorry that your son broke his back DHing but is that reason enough to hate Down Hill MOUNTAIN BIKING? I feel for you and your son. I can't imagine the pain that that must have caused both emotionally and physically but still.... You obviously love mountain biking cause you're a member of a mountain biking forum so by hateing on DH mountain biking youre hateing on mountain biking. I mean, you're son could have just as easily broken his back being a hardcore XC rider. And do you have this hatred towards any other sport where he was injured? Football, hockey, skiing, snowboarding? **** happens and thats just the way it goes. Again, I'm sorry that you're son broke his back thats horrible and I want to extend any condolences that I can but wow, thats a lot of hatred that I feel is being channeled to maybe mask grief? Who knows? I'm not a shrink. And again, I can't stress enough that I'm sorry for your son. I just feel that targeting random people that had nothing to do with your sons accident is just wrong. (and I'm hoping that the slashing tire thing is really just in your head.):rant:

This thread has taken an interesting turn now that some people on the other side of the line have spoken up.:D
Hook, line, sinker. Now you're floppin' on the deck.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

OB1

Monkey

Aw, man...don't get sucked in by the trolls!!!! Nobody in this thread..yet...is a hater. (not even JonK) The true haters read the first post of this thread and scream PHUCK SHUTTLERS....and go wash out their mandex.

Luckily, 9 out of 10 guys are out to ride, and could not care less who climbs or not. But yeah, it was good to talk about that other guy. That one who actually gets mad when people don't ride the way they do. I was hoping for some insight into why they exist. And I think I understand them a little better now. Before this thread I used to think,"are they just azzholes?" After this thread I think,"yes." Thank you Ridemonkey.

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
just to be clear, someone did take a sh*t in my wheaties yesterday. just ride and enjoy it. don't let purists bother you. They just wanna hate.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Which one is better...... Who gives a ****, ride your ****ing bike.

I dont care at all, I dont have hate for ANY type of riding..... BUT this is what I hear when I am out and about..... this consistant enough you can count on hearing it when your out and about riding....... Its by no means the rule, but consistant when I am out and about. First off let me say I live in an area were we see DH and xc ALOT, we also dont have much lift access were we are so its all shuttle here. Alot of both styles are poached trails, alot of areas are open to riding.

So here is the breakdown

From the xc climber catagory..... we get the Get your peice of beast bike of the trails, your getting in the way of my climb, stop tearing up the trails, get a treadmill fatass, a real man wouldnt be wearing a FF, you dont need that bike on this trail, we have been here longer so get the **** out..... list goes on the attitude DHers get from the xc guys, even when I go on XC rides in full xc gear... the groups I am with are like that.... somewere someone bring sup...." isnt it great we can get this far and not see someone on a DH bike.... Soo tired of seeing them" Usually when I say thats my primary riding style.......

On the DH side What pisses us off about the cimbers crowd, biggest thing we hate about the climbers is attitude........we are jsut tired of hearing the whiney bitching coming out of there mouths when we see them..... we say hey how ya doin, they say... **** YOU..... we offer up some verbal encouragement, they say shut the **** up, Im trying to climb, We say, we are trying to cheer you on, they say I dont need your ****ing motivation, Im not lazy I pedal.........Fun part is as a DHER, when they start talking down on us, we just dish out more **** trying to piss them off at that point..... because it effin funny to get them fuming to the point they fall over.

Overall what I see, the DH/shuttel crowd is the group that gets along with most anyone out there, even the fixie pixie group. I belive alot of this attitude is exactly what we saw years ago when mtn biking first came about, you had an absolute hatred of mtn biking from the roadie guys. Now DH is coming more popular to local trails, xc guys are feeling overwhelmed on the trails, instead of getting along, alot of them just get pissed off that life is evolving without them.

On a perosnal note, I just dont get why ANYONE would automatically set in their mind that a group of people is a bad group, and that they should be pissed of at them at all times just because. Specially in biking, for godssake its just a friggin bike.

Last edited:

Sonic Reducer

Monkey
Mar 19, 2006
seattle worshington
On the DH side What pisses us off about the cimbers crowd, biggest thing we hate about the climbers is attitude........we are jsut tired of hearing the whiney bitching coming out of there mouths when we see them..... we say hey how ya doin, they say... **** YOU..... we offer up some verbal encouragement, they say shut the **** up, Im trying to climb, We say, we are trying to cheer you on, they say I dont need your ****ing motivation, Im not lazy I pedal.........Fun part is as a DHER, when they start talking down on us, we just dish out more **** trying to piss them off at that point..... because it effin funny to get them fuming to the point they fall over.
If that's for real thats pretty sad, I've never encountered that level of hate from an XC rider but they cannot climb the DH trails and I usually don't ride a DH, shuttle, or push on xc trails(some are worthy of that). Of course I always yield to uphill traffic and never once had anyone have an attitude other than being thankful i was letting them past without breaking their stride. every team Ive been on has been pretty divided with the DHers being fun loving and more down to earth and the XC riders generally being pretty uptight, caught up in their fitness, highly regimented lifestyle, and being type A. this is all very hard work and often not much fun so maybe it makes a lot of em bitter, or maybe thats just the kind of people they are and they sought out an activity that could reflect that. Whenever there would be any funny antics they would be the ones to say we were being unproffessional and childish etc. :rofl: That's not to say that all the XCers ive met were like that, ive taken some awesome trips with xcers. sure there are plenty of em who are angry militant fitness hippies but there are xc racers who have a big bike too. :thumb:

Last edited:

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
If that's for real thats pretty sad, I've never encountered that level of hate from an XC rider but they cannot climb the DH trails and I don't ride a DH, shuttle, or push on xc-able trails. then again ive never been to cali. every team Ive been on has been pretty divided with the DHers being fun loving and more down to earth and the XC riders generally being pretty uptight, caught up in their fitness, highly regimented lifestyle, and being type A. this is all very hard work and often not much fun so maybe it makes a lot of em bitter, or maybe thats just the kind of people they are and they sought out an activity that could reflect that. Whenever there would be any funny antics they would be the ones to say we were being unproffessional and childish etc. :rofl: That's not to say that all the XCers ive met were like that, ive taken some awesome trips with xcers. sure there are plenty of em who are angry militant fitness hippies but there are xc racers who have a big bike too. :thumb:

I think you pretty well nailed it on the head with teh description of the two types of riders, but down here where I am at, there isnt that huge disctintion between what is a DH trail, and what is an xc trail. Personally I dont have a problem with sharing trails, but teh xc crowd here does.... So much taht there has been petitions to outlaw bikes with more than five inches of travel in certain areas.

Your also very right about how it isnt all xcers like that, or all DHers like that..... Just there is enough unfortunatly, that teh sterotype is pretty spot on.

owentking

Chimp
Mar 28, 2010
Mountains of Rock
I dont have a problem with sharing trails, but teh xc crowd here does.... So much taht there has been petitions to outlaw bikes with more than five inches of travel in certain areas.
Wow, thats rediculous. Plenty of people haul around extra suspension for the descents and with the technology getting better its just getting easier to haul it. I'm amazed people even thought up that lame brain idea.

And yeah, I'm a prized fish. ;):rofl: