Quantcast

Why?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I think you pretty well nailed it on the head with teh description of the two types of riders, but down here where I am at, there isnt that huge disctintion between what is a DH trail, and what is an xc trail. Personally I dont have a problem with sharing trails, but teh xc crowd here does.... So much taht there has been petitions to outlaw bikes with more than five inches of travel in certain areas.

Your also very right about how it isnt all xcers like that, or all DHers like that..... Just there is enough unfortunatly, that teh sterotype is pretty spot on.
hmmmm reminds me of Big Bear

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Big Bear currently allows bikers the use of the lift during the summer... as long as it has 2 chainrings (unless it is single speed), 6.5 inches of fork travel or less, tires smaller than 2.5", and I think it has to weigh less than 35lbs. All to ride on trails that aren't even on Big Bears property.

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
I am fine with both. Just different ways to ride the trails. Sometimes I like to ride to the top (usually on my DH bike), sometimes I push up, and sometimes I shuttle.

The only time I have a problem with either is when people are littering, being disrespectful, or causing problems in the neighborhoods the ride through or shuttle through.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
hmmmm reminds me of Big Bear

Yup, big bear is who started that trend
No....Big Bear is an insurance issue. And it bums me out. I'm moving out there in a few weeks. DOH!!

Nope it really isnt an insurance issue, it was the owner was just flat out tired of hearing people bitch at him about what he needs to do for Mtn biking, when its the snow sports that he really makes money off of. Currently there is no riding on big bears leased property, you just get to use the lift IF your bike is small enough to ride forrestry trails.

Sad part is, the entire summer of riding up there would be less money taken in than one day of peak snow sports.

Big Bear currently allows bikers the use of the lift during the summer... as long as it has 2 chainrings (unless it is single speed), 6.5 inches of fork travel or less, tires smaller than 2.5", and I think it has to weigh less than 35lbs. All to ride on trails that aren't even on Big Bears property.
Almost, they did back it down to two rings, 5 inches travel, 2.3 tires or smaller and yes 35 lbs or less. Thats not saying we havent dropped a few extra dollars to the lifties to skew their veiws of the rules from time to time........ still, an hour drive to have to bribe the operator with the chance the owner might come by and blow the rest of your day kinda sucks...... There is better riding closer.

Oh and for the record, those are rules set forth by forrestry, not big bear mtn. forrestry put those limits because BBM isnt allowed to be making money off non leased forrestry land.

EDIT.... Oh almost forgot, Big bear is working on instituting a single pass only to biking... IE you pay 12 bucks for each lift run....

north20

Chimp
Nov 5, 2007
East Cascades - PNW
I can imagine the same kinds of discussions, debates, and argumentative stupidity took place in the forums of old (read: any place where alcohol was served) back when downhill skiing grew out of xc-skiing. In the end it's just different iterations of the same thing: sliding over snow with some kind of board(s) slapped to your feet.

Same with mtb'ing: rolling around on dirt with bikes that have knobby tires. It's all good.

Though, I gotta admit there is one group of cyclists I have mixed feelings about: single speeders in mountainous areas. They spend a lot of time singing their own praises about being purists, and how simple and maintenance free their machines are ... and then spend the bulk of a multi-mile climb walking their lighter than average bikes.

I don't hate them, however; they just perplex the sh*t outta me :think:

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
I can imagine the same kinds of discussions, debates, and argumentative stupidity took place in the forums of old (read: any place where alcohol was served) back when downhill skiing grew out of xc-skiing. In the end it's just different iterations of the same thing: sliding over snow with some kind of board(s) slapped to your feet.

Same with mtb'ing: rolling around on dirt with bikes that have knobby tires. It's all good.

Though, I gotta admit there is one group of cyclists I have mixed feelings about: single speeders in mountainous areas. They spend a lot of time singing their own praises about being purists, and how simple and maintenance free their machines are ... and then spend the bulk of a multi-mile climb walking their lighter than average bikes.

I don't hate them, however; they just perplex the sh*t outta me :think:
I dont mind the single speeders at all, seems the walking ones are those that are just getting into it, and just havent got the right gear ratio for themselves yet. I have a couple buddies that ride with us that make pretty much every climb the multi geared bikes are making, they just dont have the top speed when sprinting.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Yup, big bear is who started that trend

Nope it really isnt an insurance issue, it was the owner was just flat out tired of hearing people bitch at him about what he needs to do for Mtn biking, when its the snow sports that he really makes money off of. Currently there is no riding on big bears leased property, you just get to use the lift IF your bike is small enough to ride forrestry trails.

Sad part is, the entire summer of riding up there would be less money taken in than one day of peak snow sports.

Almost, they did back it down to two rings, 5 inches travel, 2.3 tires or smaller and yes 35 lbs or less. Thats not saying we havent dropped a few extra dollars to the lifties to skew their veiws of the rules from time to time........ still, an hour drive to have to bribe the operator with the chance the owner might come by and blow the rest of your day kinda sucks...... There is better riding closer.

Oh and for the record, those are rules set forth by forrestry, not big bear mtn. forrestry put those limits because BBM isnt allowed to be making money off non leased forrestry land.

EDIT.... Oh almost forgot, Big bear is working on instituting a single pass only to biking... IE you pay 12 bucks for each lift run....

haha the one time I was there I just used a spare inner tube to squish down my fork before I got on the lift.

Then again, the last time was there I rode it on a single speed hard tail just for S&G's. Good times! :thumb:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
oh oh oh and their bike rack thing to check tire width....... just let some air out.

The one time he said my tire was too wide because it was labeled 2.7 or something, I told him to get a ruler (it was an old maxxis tire)