Quantcast

Wifey's going to kill me part ?

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
After a day riding at Winter Park on a rental bike that was way to small for me, I've decided to resolve this problem. I had a crash replacement frame for my broken 303DH, and decided to go ahead and get a new frame.

A lime SB66 has been ordered and paid for. The frame is slacker than my 575 and is a better DH-type bike. I'm going to swap everything over from the 575, and probably pick-up a set of heavier DH wheels from Nick for DH days. Waiting for my shop to tell me when I can stop by the factory in Golden to get it.

Only real changes are that I will be running my DRS, adding a larger chainring, and a non-reducing HS. Looking forward to it!

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
Better to ask for forgiveness than permission.

*Take this advice with a grain of salt. This was typically what got me in trouble married or dating. But if its your money, you spend it how the voices in your head tell you to.

Scrub

Turbo Monkey
Feb 4, 2003
NOR CAL, Sac/CoCo County
It's either get a new bike to stay fit and be happy or sit on the couch, eat junk food and get fat. Thats not a hard decision for most to choose. Post some pics when its done

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I'm more or less in love with the SB66. Want a carbon, but $$$. Plus I already have a Spitfire that's pretty rad.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I did a technical trail ride on an SB setup way too low in the cockpit, with semi skinny tires and generally under built for me, and it rode great. I was able to screw around with one in the parking lot setup with a 6" fork too. That felt even better due to the extra inch of cockpit height. I can only imagine how great it will feel setup for my height. I just hope I don't have to push the shock like I needed to on the 575. Fat bastard ftl.

JD - I have a 2 month old, and we've be slammed at work. I only have time now because Wifey and Haley are in SF visiting family.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
joker,

she already has your balls....what else can she do to you?

:D

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I know. I want to see leverage curves on the new linkage. I'm growing increasingly frustrated with the rear suspension on mine. The pedal feedback is pretty bad. I've gotten used to it, but it's there and I do notice sometimes. More importantly though, I can't get it to ride well the other 95% of the time, or not bottom like hell with some regularity. I've shimmed the already low volume air can pretty dramatically and it hasn't helped as much as I'd like.

I also wish it had a slacker STA but that's just being picky.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
RP23. I've heard the Monarch is "better" but if that means easier to get full travel out of DO NOT WANT.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
The Spitfire's suspension is somewhat falling rate for the first ~55% (I forget where in inflection point is exactly) of the travel, and then pretty seriously rising rate. To some extent, any shock that can keep up with that is going to be a band aid. I think the much more linear/slightly falling rate SB66 would suit me better.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
That's a good start, but the bottom out thing is way more important to me. Maybe they've addressed it, maybe not. I'll reserve judgement until I see the leverage curve.

Either way, on paper, they nailed the SB66 in my mind. I only have parking lot time on one though.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
:rofl:

No. I've dropped it maybe 6' to a good landing here and there but I can bottom it out in g-outs and stuff like that without much trouble. This is running ~25% sag. And no, the shock isn't blown or anything like that.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I'd like to think I'm just way too hardcore for it but somehow suspect that's not it. Maybe I'm just a hack.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
I just let a lot of air out of the shock and compressed it completely. Looks like I am getting close to full travel. I thought the O-ring would be closer to the end of the shock body, hmmm. Sweet, bike's performance level just increased.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Large? Rando's medium feels a little tight. Plus he has his bars crazy low, the result of which is I feel like a circus bear on it.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
Yessir. Large. The medium felt cramped to me. Only changes will be Enve bars and a 1x10 setup...might change the brakes if I don't like them.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Both of you guys: Ever consider running a coil shock instead of the air shock?
After spending 10+ years with a coil on my trail bike, I still can't really 'love' the air shock on my new frame.

Rockland

Turbo Monkey
Apr 24, 2003
Left hand path
I've been riding the sh!t out of my SB-66c. I dig it! The adjustment period is over, and I'm scootin along faster uphill and down, than any of my previous trail bikes.

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
I've never had much problem with the RP23 on my Spitty. Maybe bc it is pushed?
It came off my previous Ironhorse MK3. Then again, I don't do more than 3ft drops on it. Mostly just flowy and choppy singletrack.