Quantcast

Windham USA World Cup…..on or off?!

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
No IMBA or crazy lawsuits in Europe so the trails are much more ride at your own risk. I couldn't imagine the Champery (open for the public) track lasting very long in the US for those two reasons.

Also, the Alps are much younger than the Rockies so the mountains are steeper and rougher. I lived in Durango for years and I had no idea Europe was so sick for riding until I moved here.
Good explanation, thank you! Europe sounds fun!

UiUiUiUi

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2003
Berlin, Germany
on another note thiings like whistler (one mountain 50+ trails) are nearly impossible, because for just one trail you have to satisfy like 15 landowners, the envirmental agency of the country and even more ****...

El Zilcho

Chimp
Aug 27, 2009
NSW, Australia
What I don't get is why so many guys on here complain about venue suitability for WC's in the States. What happened to Durango, Vail, Mammoth, Squaw, Snoqualmie etc?
Just because a track isn't a carbon copy of Schladming, doesn't mean it's not WC worthy.

epic

Turbo Monkey
Sep 15, 2008
What I don't get is why so many guys on here complain about venue suitability for WC's in the States. What happened to Durango, Vail, Mammoth, Squaw, Snoqualmie etc?
Just because a track isn't a carbon copy of Schladming, doesn't mean it's not WC worthy.
I know, it seems like you could build the La Bresse track anywhere. The problem is we couldn't produce the fans that La Bresse had for practice even for the finals.

rocketmatt17

Monkey
Sep 10, 2007
I agree. Just trying to make a point that there is plenty of steep long terrain in the east. Does anyone have any proof the round has been officially canceled

rocketmatt17

Monkey
Sep 10, 2007
Butch, if you were going to suggest one DH trail in pisgah which would it be. I am looking for the roughest. sorry to get off topic

Iridemtb

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2007
Pisgah... I have only been there when I was 13, when I was first getting into biking (I am now almost 19). From just the hiking trails I remember, it would be an awesome place.

Also, didn't they have a WC round in South Africa that used vans? With the revenue a WC race could put out, an event could have like 5 big penske/uhaul trucks to shuttle everyone (think 30 riders to a truck). I guess that is all contingent too on how long it takes to drive to the top in one. Don't know much about the area, but it seems feasible with knowing the right people and having enough money to get started,

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
I agree. Just trying to make a point that there is plenty of steep long terrain in the east. Does anyone have any proof the round has been officially canceled
where are these steep pisgah DH trails, can't seem to find any pics/vids of anything but xc stuff, though the xc looks pretty damn good.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
where are these steep pisgah DH trails, can't seem to find any pics/vids of anything but xc stuff, though the xc looks pretty damn good.
Pisgah is the trail riding mecca of the universe.
Rocky rooty rugged singletrack awesomeness.
There are a few trails tucked in the woods that are practically ready made race courses.
That said, Pisgah is no Downhill destination.
Almost all of the best trails have to be climbed to get to, and most are more fun on a trailbike anyway.
Pisgah needs to have a World Cup DH about as much as Dolly Parton needs bigger tits. It will never happen nor should it happen.

That said, there are plenty places in North Carolina that have the terrain for a World Cup DH course. Real terrain like they are used to in Europe with steep nasty slick rocky and rooty goodness. But there is no where even close to a place that has the amenities and the resources to host one.
Terrain is not a problem at many places on the East Coast.
For example, everybody loves the World Cup course at Mont St. Anne and they have a 2,000 foot vertical drop.
But Whiteface has a 3,100 lift assisted vertical drop.
Terrain is the easy part. Organization, amenities and DOUGH are the big hurdles.

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Totally, OT, but I stole it from Impatient Youth's "Praise the Lord and Pass the Ammunition" on an early MRR compliation, who obviously stole it from Frank Loesser.
Jim, if there was one phrase that described the exact opposite of who YOU are, it would be "impatient youth" :rofl:

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
It's defintely here, but it's all kept on the down low. Most anything here is just like Cali...a matter of time before it's shut down. The DH race trail at Sugar I laid out was pretty sick and we all spent lots of time cutting it...but NC just doesn't have world class facilities anywhere. Does it mean we shouldn't try??? Nope. :

Stealing one of Mueller's pics:

rocketmatt17

Monkey
Sep 10, 2007
Pisgah needs to have a World Cup DH about as much as Dolly Parton needs bigger tits. It will never happen nor should it happen.
I dont see your reasoning on why it shouldnt happen. Im sure we would leave the place better than the crappy travel trailers and four wheelers that are parked at the top of heartbreak ridge, Let alone the damage they cause. Besides we all own that land as taxpayers anyway and there are plenty of other national forests that have MTB, equestrian and OHV trails throughout. I would not want to see any damage done to such a wonderful place or do I ever think it will happen. My Point was that there are epic, steep DH possibilities in the eastern US such as pisgah.

You would have to go there to see the true potential. We rode heartbreak ridge last weekend and the descent was 3500 feet from the parkway to cabin creek although it was far from a DH trail. The potential is there though

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
My Point was that there are epic, steep DH possibilities in the eastern US such as pisgah.
Yeah, like I said, the terrain is not the problem.
Did you miss the part about the two commas in the number of dollars it takes to secure a World Cup? Who is putting that money up in Pisgah? A couple of park rangers and a bear?
As far as amenities, Pisgah has a few "bombs away" $hit houses here and there with no plumbing. I am sure those would be able to handle the huge circus that is the World Cup.
And I guess everybody will just tent camp too, since there is no resort.
And if you wanna lift, put a jack under your ass!

99 problems but the terrain ain't one.;)

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
If we want repeated World Cup races in the US, why in the world would we invite anyone to the South? :D

Europe an New England can get along for the most part, but as far as they're concerned the rest of the country can piss off.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Europe an New England can get along for the most part, but as far as they're concerned the rest of the country can piss off.

I'm surprised it took 11 pages for this to come up. Anyone who's traveled abroad in the last 2 years can attest, we 'Merkinz don't have the best of reputations.

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
If we want repeated World Cup races in the US, why in the world would we invite anyone to the South? :D
We already had a WC in the South...and an Olympics too.

We like to tell ourselves that but, I think they dislike us all unilaterally. :D

-ska todd

Ithnu

Monkey
Jul 16, 2007
Denver
When asked, I say that I'm just a bitchy Canadian.
I have a northern Wisconsin accent and every time I go to Canada the other non-Canadian tourists assume I'm Canadian. They ask where I'm from, I say Denver and they look really confused.

I can ham the accent up and get locals discounts in ski towns though:thumb:

On a different note, I got to pre-ride some of the new trails at Winter Park this summer. The Gravity Logic guys were kind enough to give me a tour and afterward my two friends said "Wholly crap they had Canadian accents!" I said "Really? I barely noticed."

Back on topic, that's when I was told Winter Park has a WC on their list but its years out. Right now they're committed to expanding trails and the bike scene in the US first.

thom9719

Turbo Monkey
Jul 25, 2005
In the Northwest.
So back to the main point, is there any proof that the windham WC is actually cancelled? Or was this just a bunch of "insiders" claiming they know....

-KT