Quantcast

Words that need to go away thread

Ithnu

Monkey
Jul 16, 2007
Denver
What about specific words that don't make sense together?

"Wrap my head around it"

"Action item"

"Work that"

Sometimes office slang is funny, but its depressing when I see some people slowly start using it more and more without knowing. They're being assimilated by corporate America; resistance is futile!

As for an individual word I agree, hella needs to go away. It takes away any chance for the person using it to sound like an adult.

Craw

Monkey
Mar 17, 2002
"Going Forward"

"Literally"

"FYI"

"Vegas Baby", "Vegas Baby Vegas"

"Dave Matthews Band"

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
What about specific words that don't make sense together?

"Wrap my head around it"

"Action item"

"Work that"

Sometimes office slang is funny, but its depressing when I see some people slowly start using it more and more without knowing. They're being assimilated by corporate America; resistance is futile!

As for an individual word I agree, hella needs to go away. It takes away any chance for the person using it to sound like an adult.
How the hell am I supposed to play buzzword bingo if you get rid of half the words used in update meetings?

Ithnu

Monkey
Jul 16, 2007
Denver
How the hell am I supposed to play buzzword bingo if you get rid of half the words used in update meetings?
That is brilliant! Way better than practicing writing with my off hand. However after several years in corporate America I can write with left and right hands now.

owentking

Chimp
Mar 28, 2010
Mountains of Rock
"Dude bra"

That one is the stupidest word combo I have ever heard. And a local slang term that drive me up a wall, "The Butte".

How about "drive me up a wall" for annoying phrases? :D

B.R

Chimp
May 22, 2004
Wales
'fail' and 'yo'.

Theres a big thing over here in the uk of people saying it, and it get's me every time...

j.les

Monkey
Jul 21, 2007
Chicago
Value-added.

****ing marketing people...
God, I focking hate that phrase. I hear it at work just about every hour. Is there some kind of catch-phrase book somewhere that all these corporate pricks are required to read? Or is there a website that has a buzzword of the month?

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
OK, here's one I recently heard...

HUGGLES

"WTF is a huggle?", I asked.
"It's a hug and a giggle", they said.

Fat ladies are weird.