Quantcast

World Cup #1 - South Africa

JCL

Monkey
Aug 31, 2008
:clapping: Am I missing an important thing here?
7 seconds down on Minaar...or don't the fan boys :twitch: understand simple maths? :huh:
Was indeed a great ride by Greg but look at the people Hill beat. Rennie, Gee, Graves, Leov etc. Before the race I would have said all of those guys would have easily beaten Hill on a track with a 400m flat section in the middle.

I'm no Hill fanboy (I cheer for Brendog and Peaty) but I think we're going to see some destruction by the winged assassin (LOL!) at other races.

Jettj45

Monkey
Oct 20, 2005
Butthole of NC
Originally Posted by LMC

"losing fat is all well and good if you are overweight, but after a certain point extreme low bodyfat levels have a detrimental effect on energy levels."

care to expand on that?
It is only true if you are getting below ~ 5% for males. 2-4% is essential fat, what your organs need to survive. And it really does not come into affect in downhill since you don't even come close to using fat stores as fuel. Average body fat percentage someone in cycling wants is roughly 8-10% body fat, for ideal body composition. Plus the only truly accurate way to read it is getting a DEXA. Even qualified individuals with skin fold calipers can be 2-5% off.

I doubt many DH racers are worrying about there body fat...

Last edited:

blackohio

Generous jaywalker
Mar 12, 2009
Hellafornia. Formerly stumptown.
Was indeed a great ride by Greg but look at the people Hill beat. Rennie, Gee, Graves, Leov etc. Before the race I would have said all of those guys would have easily beaten Hill on a track with a 400m flat section in the middle.

I'm no Hill fanboy (I cheer for Brendog and Peaty) but I think we're going to see some destruction by the winged assassin (LOL!) at other races.
exactly, im a fan of hill. But im also a fan of peaty, matti, greg. This is a track that most people wrote Sam off on. To much pedaling and we know that isnt his strong suit. He did surprisingly well, but greg just flat out owned it. I think its going to be a GREAT year for racing. period. Everyones got something to prove.

LMC

Monkey
Dec 10, 2006
I doubt many DH racers are worrying about there body fat...
gee seems to, judging by 'those' abs. and the fact that he displays how ripped he is at every opportunity. you dont get to look like that without a deliberate calorific deficit.

i feel he would perhaps do better to try and beef up a little, instead of being as light as possible, taking a leaf out of minnaar/peat's book of how to be a powerhouse, those guys arent shredded, they are a little heavier and more powerfully biult. he obviously already has the technical skills and the fitness dialled.

Time will tell of course, and we are talking about the world champ, but for the whole world cup series i wouldnt want to see him edged out by sam on the more technical tracks, and then not able to make up the points on the more pedally physical tracks because greg and co are too far in front, like last year.

Last edited:

John P.

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Golden, CO
Don't know what everyone else thought, but I liked Tim March as a partner (commentator that is) for Warner, even though he was responsible for that ridiculously long question he asked Peaty at last years Worlds!
+1. Out of all the co-hosts last season, I liked March the best by far.

davetrump

Turbo Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
gee seems to, judging by 'those' abs. and the fact that he displays how ripped he is at every opportunity. you dont get to look like that without a deliberate calorific deficit.

i feel he would perhaps do better to try and beef up a little, instead of being as light as possible, taking a leaf out of minnaar/peat's book of how to be a powerhouse, those guys arent shredded, they are a little heavier and more powerfully biult. he obviously already has the technical skills and the fitness dialled.

Time will tell of course, and we are talking about the world champ, but for the whole world cup series i wouldnt want to see him edged out by sam on the more technical tracks, and then not able to make up the points on the more pedally physical tracks because greg and co are too far in front, like last year.

this might be the funniest thing i have read i this thread thus far.

gee is one of the fittest and strongest guys at the WC level... have you ever seen him in person? he is one of the biggest guys out there.

and you can be lean like that without a "calorific deficit" as you called it.... it's called genetics... some people are just leaner than others plain and simple.

gee went out too hard at the top and blew it for the bottom... in fact his top split in the tech was off so he probably lost time there with a mistake and pushed too hard in the middle. that leaves you with nothing in the tank where the cameras picked up the action.

the hardest part of a pedaly track that long is to go hard, but not too hard all the way down... to find a balance and a pace you can maintain without loosing power and without going too easy.

but only gee knows what really happened...

Last edited:

LMC

Monkey
Dec 10, 2006
this might be the funniest thing i have read i this thread thus far.

well dave, seems you have a funny sense of humor

gee is one of the fittest and strongest guys out there... have you ever seen him in person? he is one of the biggest guys out there.

have you seen him in person? clearly he isnt. and i didnt call his fitness or strength into question, its down to carrying speed. heavier guys put out more power and maintain more momentum, hence Greg, who is bigger and also has the technical skills cleaned up on the pedally courses last year

and you can be lean like that without a "calorific deficit" s you called it.... it's called genetics.

i realise what genetics are thanks, he didnt look like that until last year so obviously its down to adjusted training or diet, which intentionally or not has resulted in him ending up extremely lean.

gee went out to hard at the top and blew it for the bottom... in fact his top split in the tech was off so he probably lost time there with a mistake and pushed too hard in the middle. that leaves you with nothing in the tank where the cameras picked up the action.

the hardest part of a pedally track that long is to go hard, but not too hard all the way down... to find a balance and a pace you can maintain without loosing power and without going to easy.
yes only Gee knows what happened in that race, and im not bagging on the guy, i want him to be in contention for the overall world cup. Like i said, time will tell

Last edited:
R

rb92078

Don't know what everyone else thought, but I liked Tim March as a partner (commentator that is) for Warner, even though he was responsible for that ridiculously long question he asked Peaty at last years Worlds!
"Marc Beaumont, Scott BOOM BOOM Beaumonts brother!" Come on, are you serious? Get someone who knows his facts.... or at least the basics. Its "knowledge" you need to be a good commentator.

davetrump

Turbo Monkey
Jul 29, 2003

hate to break it to ya.. but gee probably outweighs minnaar, or the difference is not enough to matter.

anyway... what i find funny is you second guessing a world champion and his preparation/training

give gee a call and tell him to start eating cheeseburgers to fill out that six pack for more speed to catch the borat suit

Last edited:

LMC

Monkey
Dec 10, 2006
"Marc Beaumont, Scott BOOM BOOM Beaumonts brother!" Come on, are you serious? Get someone who knows his facts.... or at least the basics. Its "knowledge" you need to be a good commentator.
what? who said marc and scott beaumont were brothers?

davetrump

Turbo Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
what? who said marc and scott beaumont were brothers?
robs counterpart in the booth today.... rob just let him carry on and then shredded him for it after the guy made a fool of himself for a bit.

whatever respect rob was pretending to have for that guy went out the windo right there

LMC

Monkey
Dec 10, 2006
hate to break it to ya.. but gee probably outweighs minnaar, or the difference is not enough to matter.

just to prove you incorrect i took 2 seconds to google it, gee 75 kg, greg 85kg... so i hate to break it to you dave, but you perhaps need to get your eyes checked. :busted:

anyway... what i find funny is you second guessing a world champion and his preparation/training

yes if you read my post i did already mention that he is world champ, however its the internet, and ill second guess all i like while he is not winning at bigger less technical courses.

give gee a call and tell him to start eating cheeseburgers to fill out that six pack for more speed :busted:

LMC

Monkey
Dec 10, 2006
robs counterpart in the booth today.... rob just let him carry on and then shredded him for it after the guy made a fool of himself for a bit.

whatever respect rob was pretending to have for that guy went out the windo right there
LOL oh dear :disgust1:

who the hell is he anyway?

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
Originally Posted by davetrump

just to prove you incorrect i took 2 seconds to google it, gee 75 kg, greg 85kg... so i hate to break it to you dave, but you perhaps need to get your eyes checked.

yes if you read my post i did already mention that he is world champ, however its the internet, and ill second guess all i like while he is not winning at bigger less technical courses.

give gee a call and tell him to start eating cheeseburgers to fill out that six pack for more speed

Random Fact About Sam Hill:

- Sam Hill weighs twice as much inverted as he does upright.

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
+1. Out of all the co-hosts last season, I liked March the best by far.
I remember all your disdain for my commentating when I co-hosted with Rob, so I wasn't expecting any love from you, but I will say if you are wishing for your 'favorite' guy to come back, you might as well start wishing for people to look back on George Bush as being a great president during his 8 yrs.......if you are too stupid to read between the lines=it ain't gonna happen.

Happy dreaming!

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
Stik - I kinda dug the Phill Collins reference... obscure and out of left field - but hilarious for lots of reasons...

:)
Would have loved a chance to improve, but that darn $3000 ticket from LAX was not helping the freecaster budget ;)

I was gone all day, off to check out some recap videos on freecaster....

LMC

Monkey
Dec 10, 2006
I remember all your disdain for my commentating when I co-hosted with Rob, so I wasn't expecting any love from you, but I will say if you are wishing for your 'favorite' guy to come back, you might as well start wishing for people to look back on George Bush as being a great president during his 8 yrs.......if you are too stupid to read between the lines=it ain't gonna happen.

Happy dreaming!
that was just a couple of guys bustin ur balls tho.

personally i thought tim march was a bit of a bore on the mic. and his ooooh ooooohing at sam hill was just a little creepy..

davetrump

Turbo Monkey
Jul 29, 2003

Happy dreaming!
true story...

stik, is it public knowledge as to why we will NEVER see tim march again.

davetrump

Turbo Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
Would have loved a chance to improve, but that darn $3000 ticket from LAX was not helping the freecaster budget ;)

I was gone all day, off to check out some recap videos on freecaster....

robs screaming of "he's christ on a bike" during sam's run today, on easter sunday, was hilarious :clapping:

JCL

Monkey
Aug 31, 2008
Yeah the new guy is a bit of a cheese dog. I'd like to see a former team manager in the booth. Martin Whitely was perfect today but he's obviously busy.

R

rb92078

Yeah the new guy is a bit of a cheese dog. I'd like to see a former team manager in the booth. Martin Whitely was perfect today but he's obviously busy.
Dude you nailed it! We need someone with true knowledge of the sport in the booth. It does so much more for the sport. Even if you don't know sh** about DH, when someone with Martin's capacity speaks you don't question it.

primo661

Monkey
Jun 16, 2008
Pietermaritzburg, South Africa
I am sure this has been said but I was shocked when I saw Sam take that line through the rock garden. It was definitely the fastest option through that section.
I dont know about it being the fastest. I've ridden both and the entry and exit speed of the line on the right is may faster. I also watched Greg and Steve train each other into that section and then take different lines to see which was faster and I couldn't really see a difference. The line on the left(riders perspective) was quicker until you have to turn at the bottom and then the exit speed from the line on the right made up for the time difference.
You guys should have been there to see Greg absolutely kill it. He had a few lines that left me wanting to quit downhill.:plthumbsdown: He clocked 63km/h at the speed trap and I dont think anyone else managed to get to 61.
As far as I can figure out, the average speed was 45.55km/h:shocked: Thats pretty quick for all that pedaling!

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
So I'm sitting in the lounge in Johannesburg until 6pm sorting images. Yesterday was pretty stellar for images after struggling all week. Good times, images coming shortly.

No one expected Sam in the top 5, so to be on the podium was a huge victory for him. Greg owns this course. His house is 2km from the finish line, and backs onto the park the course was built in. He was on fire all week. I think Kovarik would have given him a run for his money if he hadn't of blown up.

luiz carlos

Monkey
Apr 15, 2002
Brazil-Rio de Janeiro

Happy dreaming!
Yeah....Hold 3 hours of live coverage when only the last 10 minutes are really exciting, it's not easy. Congratulations Rob and the other guy.

luiz carlos

Monkey
Apr 15, 2002
Brazil-Rio de Janeiro
So I'm sitting in the lounge in Johannesburg until 6pm sorting images. Yesterday was pretty stellar for images after struggling all week. Good times, images coming shortly.

No one expected Sam in the top 5, so to be on the podium was a huge victory for him. Greg owns this course. His house is 2km from the finish line, and backs onto the park the course was built in. He was on fire all week. I think Kovarik would have given him a run for his money if he hadn't of blown up.
Would you say 2nd place for Kovarik?!

LMC

Monkey
Dec 10, 2006
Would you say 2nd place for Kovarik?!
CK ran 3.56.09 in the test race last week. thats not even top ten in the actual WC race, he would have had to step his game up.. although he did beat the 9th place finisher (beaumont) in that race

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
CK ran 3.56.09 in the test race last week. thats not even top ten in the actual WC race, he would have had to step his game up.. although he did beat the 9th place finisher (beaumont) in that race
The track got much faster by WC race day. Also, in quali Kovarik went by me and didn't seem to be pushing as hard as some others. Mick looked mega pinned, and somehow found even more speed. Mental.

John P.

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Golden, CO
Nice pic. I'm surprised no one's commented on him running an SRS with a bashguard plus a taco. I remember when Dave first redesigned the boomerang to be universal between the SRS and LG1, I thought some crazy pinkbike kid would mount up both, but I'd never actually seen it done until now.

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
Looked around a little bit for information but found nothing....what happend to Kovarik.....?......he get hurt in practice or something....