Quantcast

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
I don't think that was in.
All of the ball must cross all of the line. Close, very close, but not a goal.

<edit> It has to be at least somewhat distracting to have a huge rack of flash cameras going off every time you dive for a safe.
I understand that... And I don't think it was in either. I'm just saying...due diligence...that's all.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
(Are you completely unaware of the whole "drinking and sports" relationship? I showed up at a bar at 6:45am to watch the 2000 WC final and there was a 2 drink minimum. People all over the world are taking time off from work to watch, drink, and celebrate their team's play. It's only in the US where a) people don't understand the gravity of the WC, and b) that we're prudish enough to question drinking at sporting events)
of course i get the whole "drinking and sports" deal.
but seeing people at a bar in the morning in America watching the World Cup is funny.
and im sorry, but going to a bar at 6:45am is crazy (see: stupid)

Permission to panic Rice?
granted.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
No I was at home, drinking heavily with the wife.

(Are you completely unaware of the whole "drinking and sports" relationship? I showed up at a bar at 6:45am to watch the 2000 WC final and there was a 2 drink minimum. People all over the world are taking time off from work to watch, drink, and celebrate their team's play. It's only in the US where a) people don't understand the gravity of the WC, and b) that we're prudish enough to question drinking at sporting events)
:stupid:

For the 2006 WC, I was at Kells and they rented 10 extra 50" screens. They were stumbling distance from the office and my boss lived in Norway. He was in town for the whole tournament and paid the tab. :thumb:

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
:stupid:

For the 2006 WC, I was at Kells and they rented 10 extra 50" screens. They were stumbling distance from the office and my boss lived in Norway. He was in town for the whole tournament and paid the tab. :thumb:
The funniest thing about that moment (aside from the 2 drink minimum at 6:45am) was that the place was PACKED. Standing room only, and barely enough room for that. Absolutely no way to get a table, so we drank our beers (for breakfast), waited until the game finished, got a table, ate some food, and then went back to go to sleep.

(Kelly's on the upper East side in Manhattan, by the way)

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
WOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

Fvck Italy. It just goes to show that flopping, diving, and trying to draw penalties will only get you so far....

(except the last WC, of course, when flopping, diving, and trying to draw penalties won them the whole thing)

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
wow! The Azzurri bow out.

Who are the favorites now? Argentina?
Spain's still in contention. I have a hard time taking Argentina entirely seriously with Maradona behind the bench, but they are a talented squad.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Who are the favorites now? Argentina?
Yes, and you can't count Brazil out of it yet, either. If Messi steps it up in the later rounds, Argentina will walk through everyone. But Portugal is also a contender.

Spain hasn't looked all that hot, but you never know.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
of course i get the whole "drinking and sports" deal.
but seeing people at a bar in the morning in America watching the World Cup is funny.
Actually, you know what, you're right. I'm sure that the only people in that bar were a bunch of drunks who would've been there anyway. It's not like people all across the country showed up at bars to drink and cheer their team on....

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
WOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

Fvck Italy. It just goes to show that flopping, diving, and trying to draw penalties will only get you so far....

(except the last WC, of course, when flopping, diving, and trying to draw penalties won them the whole thing)
Holy Sh*t, we agree on something!

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
I had an idea about fouls. Wouldn't it be an interesting experiment to do away with regular fouls in soccer. This would leave only yellow and red cards. So a foul is a yellow. Two of them and you're out - that sure would change the dynamic of play... not sure if it would solve the problem though.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I had an idea about fouls. Wouldn't it be an interesting experiment to do away with regular fouls in soccer. This would leave only yellow and red cards. So a foul is a yellow. Two of them and you're out - that sure would change the dynamic of play... not sure if it would solve the problem though.
No fvcking way. Have you seen how many fouls get called in a game? Every game would end 2 on 3 or something. Everyone would get sent off.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
No fvcking way. Have you seen how many fouls get called in a game? Every game would end 2 on 3 or something. Everyone would get sent off.
The hope is that people would play clean. Think of a pick-up game - if you go fouling all over the place, people get pissed. Generally, people play clean and play the ball, not the body.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
NZ will not only move up in rank, but I am guessing some hefty offers from club teams as well. They were awesome to watch, same with the Aussies.

There have been some damn good games so far. My bracket is f'ed though.

<edit> They just did a Paston highlight reel. Damn, he is my new favorite keep.

Last edited:

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
good game on today brazil v portugal any predictions ? i'm hoping portugal wins this one .
2-1 Brazil. Portugal goes up but they rally.

That's my pretty random, largely baseless prediction du jour.