Votes: 14 45.2%
  • Bacon/loco sucks

Votes: 6 19.4%

• Total voters

sstalder5

Turbo Monkey
Aug 20, 2008
Beech Mtn Definitely NOT Boulder
I've decided that I want to get a game console to take back to college with me. Right now I am completely divided between xbox 360 and ps3..

What do you guys think? What are some pros and cons for each system?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
depends on what you wanna do.

lots of online gaming: go with the 360. ps3 has online gaming, but the 360 is better (or so I've been told)

watch blu rays: ps3 is your only choice

are there any games you want that are console exclusives?

sstalder5

Turbo Monkey
Aug 20, 2008
I'm not too worried about bluray. While I'm at school it'll be hooked up to a 19" TV. And I stream or download most of my movies.

I will do some online gaming but I'm not sure how much yet.

And the only console exclusive game I can think of that I want is Just Cause 2 for xbox

jekyll991

Monkey
Nov 30, 2009
Belfry, KY
Just cause is a multiplatform I believe.

I already like my PS3 more than my xbox. The thing is dead silent, I don't know about the new 360's but my fat model was loud as hell thanks to both the fans and dvd drive. I'm normally good at ignoring such things since I run a few extra 12 volt fans to my laptop but it was hard to enjoy a movie on it.

Really just comes down to which exclusive games you want (PS3 God of War 3, GT5, Demon's Souls. Xbox: Forza, Halo.. can't think of anymore right now..). Also the PS3 comes with wireless instead of having to buy an expensive dongle and uses bluetooth so you don't have to buy a proprietary headset. I'm starting to like the controller more, especially since it is rechargeable with no stupid battery pack.

To me it seems like the PS3 comes with more features that you would have to spend close to $150 for on the 360.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
ps3 is also more reliable than the 360. not sure how the new slims (360) are, but from what I heard failure rates (aka RRoD- Red Ring of Death) for the original 360 were upwards of 30%

jekyll991

Monkey
Nov 30, 2009
Belfry, KY
ps3 is also more reliable than the 360. not sure how the new slims (360) are, but from what I heard failure rates (aka RRoD- Red Ring of Death) for the original 360 were upwards of 30%
From what I've read the slim seems to be better, but I'd still have my worries since mine fell victim to the RRoD. After getting that fixed it started artifacting and I haven't been able to fix it.

EDIT: only thing missing from the PS3 that you may need is an HDMI cable which you can get from monoprice.com for $5 shipped.

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
Get the x-box. Games are more better. Other than God of War there is nothing on the PS3 that you will really miss out on.

My fiance has a 3+ yr old x-box that has been used almost every day (games, dvd player, netflix, etc). A few months ago it started to have problems reading discs. We took it apart and cleaned some mammoth dust bunnies from the CD drive and now it works perfectly again.

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Too late... there are more good games, and the controllers are way better IMO.

Get the x-box. Games are more better. Other than God of War there is nothing on the PS3 that you will really miss out on.

controllers are a matter of personal preference.

... nothing like the killzone series, resistance series, infamous, gran turismo, uncharted series, metal gear solid 4. those are all terrible games.

sstalder5

Turbo Monkey
Aug 20, 2008
wow this is a serious debate... I checked, just cause 2 is multiplatform. I would like to have gt5 though...

But if I got a 360 I could borrow games from people in my dorm since probably 80% of the guys in my dorm have 360s..

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
PS3 is a better idea. Now it may seem even but more and more new games come to it while in case of 360 it's steady or even slightly declining. It will have a dominant portion of the new games released in the near future imho. Reliability is also a good thing.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
360, can watch espn, netflix, stream music, pics from your computer, play games. And oh yeah Kinect.
everything in bold is also a feature of PS3. tho i'm still baffled as to why anyone would want to look at pictures through a video game console in the first place.

espn for xbox isn't full blown espn service. NFL games are blocked from it. also need to be a xbox live gold member ($50/yr) to use it.

kinect is cool and all, but the only stuff I've seen so far that has impressed me is all the homebrew software being created for it, not any of the games.

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
controllers are a matter of personal preference.
Yes, but most people seem to prefer the 360 that's why things like this exist.

... nothing like the killzone series, resistance series, infamous, gran turismo, uncharted series, metal gear solid 4. those are all terrible games.
I've played them all (except uncharted) a few times but I definitely wouldn't trade for the awesomeness that is the Gears of War and Halo series.

mullet_dew

Monkey
Mar 22, 2009
Bellingham WA
everything in bold is also a feature of PS3. tho i'm still baffled as to why anyone would want to look at pictures through a video game console in the first place.

espn for xbox isn't full blown espn service. NFL games are blocked from it. also need to be a xbox live gold member ($50/yr) to use it.

kinect is cool and all, but the only stuff I've seen so far that has impressed me is all the homebrew software being created for it, not any of the games.
Talking about this?

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
New 360 is silent, way more reliable and has built in wifi. I use mine for netflix, streaming from my laptop, NAS and ESPN 3. Well, and playing games, obviously.

XBL arcade is also superb if you like that sort of thing. I buy a ton of smaller titles.

I much prefer paid XBL access than the utter crap that sony likes to call an online service.

Last edited:

Pete..

Monkey
Feb 11, 2009
Santa Cruz
I had a 360 but I sold it for a PS3. I love my PS3 but miss Forza, a lot. I thought about getting a 360 just for Forza but I got a camera instead.

Kevin

Turbo Monkey
New 360 is silent, way more reliable and has built in wifi. I use mine for netflix, streaming from my laptop, NAS and ESPN 3. Well, and playing games, obviously.

XBL arcade is also superb if you like that sort of thing. I buy a ton of smaller titles.

I much prefer paid XBL access than the utter crap that sony likes to call an online service.
Youre living in the past.
Sony still has free online service and it rocks.
More arcade games including many Playstation classics and now all Neo Geo classics.

Did I mention Team Ico Collection HD coming out including ICO, Shadow of the Collossus and The Last Guardian?

I agree xbox was ahead for quite some time but the tables have turned.

Last edited:

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
I have both. I pretty much just game now on the 360 and watch movies/stream on the PS3. It's not that I don't like the PS3, but every one of my friends that I play online with has a 360.

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
nope, try again
It's a matter of my opinion I suppose. The PS has made up some ground from the bare bones, stripped down online service it offered early on, but it's always been a game of catch-up to Xbox Live. Pretty much every service was offered first on Live. Besides, for me it is 95% about the games and not just having Blu-ray or a free online service.