Quantcast

xc ride...... dh style. (Saturday 1/13)

Nagaredama

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2004
Manhattan Beach, CA USA
Joe,
Here is the link to the lodge we are in http://www.alluradirect.com/1446/

Mammoth is gonna be a go :) Also looking into N*.

Can we get a bit more of an update from the Big Bear krew? What bikes did you take? How were the lift nazis as far as letting big bikes on? How were the legit trails? Did you hear of anyone taking the poach-trails and get their impressions *wink-wink*?
From an Intense VPX to a SX Trail to my Enduro none of us a had problem. The lift operators asked Brian how much travel his fork had. He said it met I did see a guy with a 888 on his Foes. I asked him about and got the impression he was friends with the woman who runs the lift. A single crown on the Nicolai and you'd be golden. I thought everything on my Enduro was fun.

Trails were fun! Steep and loose kinda like Mammoth but instead of kittie litter it was powdered sugar. There were a lot of baseball to grapefruit sized rocks on the trails. The more people ride the trails the sooner those rocks will disappear. I ran the Specialized Enduro tires and wished I had something with bigger more closely spaced knobs.

For $20 you can't beat it!

tgreathead

Monkey
Jan 14, 2005
Los Angeles
Can we get a bit more of an update from the Big Bear krew? What bikes did you take? How were the lift nazis as far as letting big bikes on? How were the legit trails? Did you hear of anyone taking the poach-trails and get their impressions *wink-wink*?
Here's mine:
I took my Saber with AM1. The rules said "less than 6 inches" but that translated to 6 or less. I was with W4S and they were asking about his Lyrik, weird. They never weighed bikes, looked at the tires or anything else. They were mostly just looking for flat-out DH bikes.
Everyone in our group but me and Abstrakt51 had full face helmets. I wish I'd had my full face, the trails were rocky enough that it was totally warranted. I think we all had leg pads on, no one said a thing.

Nagaredama and I met a guy up there on a Foes Fly with an 888! We asked how he shuttled up and he replied the chair lift. Apparently he knew Shannon and some other people and they knew that even though it was a DH bike he wouldn't be going to crazy with it. He said he didn't want to ruin it for anyone so if he had to he'd stop bringing it.

Lower Falline was the end of most of the trails that started on that side of the mountain. Someone else will have to chime in with the names, I can't remember them all. All in all the trails still need some time to pack down, most everything steep was really loose. Someone definitely did some work on them before they opened though, for the most part they were cleared.
Upper Falline was in pretty good shape actually, that combined with Lower Falline was the only legal singletrack that runs down the whole mountain on that side.
From what I heard the 'off map' trails were in equally as good shape, like someone had worked on them too.

From West LA it was exactly 2 hours there and 1:40 back. $20 for all day is pretty good and the burgers at the top are worth stopping for. We'll definitely be going back.

Nagaredama

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2004
Manhattan Beach, CA USA
looks like i'm gonna need to hardtail it when i go. the nicolai is getting the big fork today (888 WC ATA).
I'm thinking of attempting to get the Wilson on the lift. Nice thing about the ATA is you can wind the front down to 160mm which should pass the front travel requirement. Weight is a different story. Could even bolt on a FD but leave out the granny ring and front shifter and claim I've got two rings.

Abstrakt51

Monkey
Oct 11, 2006
OC
Summit was bad a$$. The trails were in way better shape then I was expecting and I was fortunate enough to be shown a few new "fire road" trails that were a blast. I couldn’t imagine having as much fun on a HT as I would on at least 5 or 6 incher as most trails had at least a garden or two and were littered w/ baby heads, but its just personal preference and skill.

With the temps reaching 90's by 11:00 in most areas nowadays, it seems like regularly scheduled Summit weekends would be a no brainer for the upcoming summer. Shoot, I’d even be willing to mob again this weekend if a crew was down. Hawler.

Oh, and if you want to avoid harassment, leave W4S at home. He's nothing but a troublemaker.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
bully and i are talking about making a monday run. I may plow it on my HT - perhaps even with the boxxer on it :)

W4S is a trouble maker - and he smells funny.

tgreathead

Monkey
Jan 14, 2005
Los Angeles
Oh, and if you want to avoid harassment, leave W4S at home. He's nothing but a troublemaker.
C'mon guys, he had a hard enough time with the lift operators, cut him some slack.
Except for the smelly part, which is totally true. :banana:

Just kidding Brian, I shouldn't talk cause my riding stunk up the whole mountain. I knew that it being my first ride in 2 months would suck but man, I was slow!

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
bully and i are talking about making a monday run. I may plow it on my HT - perhaps even with the boxxer on it :)

Yes! Anyone in is welcome.
Wifes leaving tomorrow 6 am to Idaho so I have 7 days to ride. I want to hit it up as much as possible or anywhere else local or semi local. So anyone down to start riding let me know, evenings, skip work, play hookie, etc.. any excuse works!

blender

Monkey
Oct 19, 2006
MDR
DJ action continues at Kenter. Weekend after weekend the usual suspects crawl out of their holes and flock to the jumps with beer and tunes, making it all worthwhile.
It was 10 degrees too hot out there this time, but a good session with Brent, Tater, Marcio and Jeremy.

some pics (courtesy of Brent.. thanks buddy!)

Marcio kills it out there on his Turner Rail

Tater is a modest fella, he's got smooth steez but talks himself down a bit

me.. sadly lacking in the steez department

Brent also shot a video with his small cam... i couldn't figure out how to embed it
cheque it

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
im thinkin' early to avoid the heat. the bigger the pack of idiots we have, the more gnar it will be with delays. bully says he is in, so that it is penty of idiot there :D

i'd say meeting at the bottom at 8 so we can be driving by 830. i wouldn't mind starting earlier either.

Abstrakt51

Monkey
Oct 11, 2006
OC
anyone confirm that 2rings and a bash counts as 3 rings for the snow summit lifts? gonna bring the big hardtail.
Yeah, you'll be fine. I think most bikes on the mtn last week has the same setup.

I'm 50/50 for Wilson. May stay local and shuttle Laguna.

Why are you guys hitting Summit on Monday when we can hit it on Sunday? Will the lifts be running on Monday?

- May 20: Scenic Sky Chair opens, weekends only, weather and conditions permitting.
- June 17 through September 4: Scenic Sky Chair open daily; weather and conditions permitting.

Abstrakt51

Monkey
Oct 11, 2006
OC
I hope you guys have piled the front side of any of the downed trees, if any.... :p

We'll be at Colin, I mean Summit, on Sunday..
I think W4S and Rabie built some ladder type stuff over the fallen logs. Typical freeriders. :rolleyes:

I'll be there w/ a crew on Sunday. See you suckas there.