Quantcast

xc ride...... dh style. (Saturday 1/13)

blender

Monkey
Oct 19, 2006
MDR
stunt was ridiculous today! I finally got to break the bike in proper... and it completely blew me away. I was laughing silly after the first rock section on the trail!
Mammoth is going to be soooo much fun!
I still have to get used to the low bottom bracket.. tagged my pedals a few times, even got pitched off the bike once from tagging a large rock.
No worries, minor adjustments in pedal placement and pedaling over rocks.
The bike is very long and slack, it leans into corners like nothing I've ever tried.. it may sound cliche, but it basically carves into them really hard, it's almost scary.

I gotta give it up to Gordon for helping me with the build, and for hounding me for months to get on a proper DH bike.
Thanks buddy!

i snapped a coupla pickys of the R9, as I don't think I ever posted the final build (i remember Randy was asking). Apologize for the king size pics +__+

Last edited:

brenth

Monkey
Jun 14, 2002
Santa Monica
you know, gordon was saying how he didn't like the roof rack I had ( he had the same model that lost a bike), but on the way home from the ride, even though my car decided it needed to occupy the space that was currently occupied by a silverado, both the R9 and the turner were happy and safe.

Good ride, though, even though I crashed a couple of times and felt quite jiggy.

blender

Monkey
Oct 19, 2006
MDR
maaan.. so sorry about that again :disgust1:
the rack definitely did it's job!

you know, gordon was saying how he didn't like the roof rack I had ( he had the same model that lost a bike), but on the way home from the ride, even though my car decided it needed to occupy the space that was currently occupied by a silverado, both the R9 and the turner were happy and safe.

Good ride, though, even though I crashed a couple of times and felt quite jiggy.

blender

Monkey
Oct 19, 2006
MDR
That sh*t looks burly as hell. A thing of beauty P. :thumb:

Did you attach the rubber stopper on the frame for the fork uppers? (no idea what its called) Cant tell if its just part of the r9 frame or a custom fab.
Thanks Randy!

the integrated rubber fork bumpers are part of the frame design.. yet another piece of FTW's genius.

blender

Monkey
Oct 19, 2006
MDR
What is the final head count for Mammoth? I've got 3 buddies coming up the same weekend. If we have room in condo, great, if not no biggie.
as far as I know the count hasn't changed since your last roll call.

W4S and mandown are the only two characters still in question.

Abstrakt51

Monkey
Oct 11, 2006
OC
What is the final head count for Mammoth? I've got 3 buddies coming up the same weekend. If we have room in condo, great, if not no biggie.
With B staying at home to pet his dog and assuming that Adam is in, we'll be at cap with your 3 so I think we'll be good. Joe?

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
Sounds good to me. How are we doing vehicles? I could probably get two more with me or kick down for some gas to catch a ride.

Abstrakt51

Monkey
Oct 11, 2006
OC
I dont mind taking the beast, but at 100 bucks to fill up, it may not be the most cost efficient way. Can your car hold 3 bikes Joe?

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
I can do two on the rack, plus one in the trunk. Depends on how much gear/stuff everyone has. I usually pack pretty light. It will probably be a tank each way for the Camry so $120 or so total. Can you get 4 bikes in your car?

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
I'm sure you could get 4 bikes on Randy's rig, two on a carrier and two in the back if we took the wheels off. I don't mind driving with two others or hitching a ride.

overtheedge

Monkey
Mar 26, 2005
burbank ca.
I dont mind taking the beast, but at 100 bucks to fill up, it may not be the most cost efficient way. Can your car hold 3 bikes Joe?
right there w/ ya......... some family just returned from mammoth and it cost them 240+ each way in gas! if i can't hitch a ride i might be able to swindle the wifes tahoe. (gets twice the gas milage on the open road as the hd)

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
i'm pretty sure i'm in for SS saturday if OTE is in. truckstop meetings are 2nd nature to me now, so i'm game.

what is the drive to M situation looking like? gotta make the carpool happen. what vehicles are leaving when and how much room is in them?

Abstrakt51

Monkey
Oct 11, 2006
OC
what is the drive to M situation looking like? gotta make the carpool happen. what vehicles are leaving when and how much room is in them?
Heres how it is so far.

Car 1
Nags
Blend
Bneall

Car 2
Abstrakt
Edge
Kaz

I think the general consensus was to leave as early as possible. I'm down to meet you and OTE somewhere and we all mob up splitting gas 5 ways, but we gotta locate a vehicle which will hold us all. Another option would be throwing one of yous in each one of our rides making it 4 deep.

blender

Monkey
Oct 19, 2006
MDR
there is a slim chance that bneall might be out for the trip... he'll know for sure by this weekend
that could free up one spot

scott, would you be able to come and grab me from my place on Friday morning?