Quantcast

XenForo transition complete: post here with issues

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Get an "error page doesn't exist" when trying to open NSFW posts? This is at work (IE8), haven't tried at home yet.
I can't replicate this anywhere... for the "page does not exist" do you mean that you're clicking the NSFW button and getting thrown into a full screen, page does not exist error? Or does something appear inside the embedded NSFW frame itself?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I am working on some speed improvements now. There seems to be some noticeable improvement (at least, my timed page loading looks like it's gone down) and I will continue to work on it.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
How about speeding up the youtube thread? Or is that just cause and effect from embedding so many videos on one page?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Yeah, I don't think there's much I can do there. You've got 40 YouTube videos embedded in a page, things are going to slow down a bit.

TrumbullHucker

trumbullruxer
Aug 29, 2005
shimzbury, ct
posting from a windows 8.1 64 bit with latest version of firefox... seems when i am in the downhill/freeride forum, the icon for loading keeps going and going. never stops. but once i am in a thread it fully loads

??

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
posting from a windows 8.1 64 bit with latest version of firefox... seems when i am in the downhill/freeride forum, the icon for loading keeps going and going. never stops. but once i am in a thread it fully loads
Hmm, I'll look into it. Has this been a recurring problem or have you just noticed it? Are you using an ad blocker or a privacy plugin or something else that might be blocking parts of the page from loading?

TrumbullHucker

trumbullruxer
Aug 29, 2005
shimzbury, ct
Hmm, I'll look into it. Has this been a recurring problem or have you just noticed it? Are you using an ad blocker or a privacy plugin or something else that might be blocking parts of the page from loading?

ah yes.... i do have Adblock Plus and i can see it might be screwing something up.. but it just started like a week or so ago

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
ah yes.... i do have Adblock Plus and i can see it might be screwing something up.. but it just started like a week or so ago
Can you just disable AdBlock plus and try it to see if that's what is causing it to spin at loading? Any add-on that interferes with the page loading (ad blockers intercept the code as it's sent down from the server and modify it) could potentially cause the page to not fully load.

If that's what is causing it, but you can see the whole page, it's probably not harmful and you can ignore it. If you disable AdBlock and it doesn't go away, I can see if I can duplicate it.

TrumbullHucker

trumbullruxer
Aug 29, 2005
shimzbury, ct
yup.. that cleaned it up

before the bottom left screen said " waiting for ridemonkey.com "

then i disabled ABP, and the spinning stopped normally

cheers! i am loving this forum layout.. wish all of the other forums im on were like this!

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
any word on this? it would be nice for the emails to actually contain the posted comment instead of just a link to the thread.
I changed it for private messages almost immediately. I have mixed feelings about including post contents since, you know, this is a website and the goal is for people to visit the website. :)

I didn't think we had that turned on for vB either, did we?

'size

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2007
AZ
I changed it for private messages almost immediately. I have mixed feelings about including post contents since, you know, this is a website and the goal is for people to visit the website. :)

I didn't think we had that turned on for vB either, did we?
i figured that was the reason, i guess we all just use the email notifications and forums differently. i like the replies in the emails so i can keep up with threads when i don't have time to get to the forums. then when i get time i can easily pick things up rather than sifting through - giving me more time on the forums to catch new content. just trying to maximize my RM intake. ;)

it was turned on previously.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Why does the post time string need the username? That's redundant.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
hey BV i had an idea - the up arrow that appears when you start scrolling up (the on that jumps you to the top of the page). it always appears at the bottom right corner near the window scroll bar. would it be at all possible to code it to have the arrow appear near the mouse pointer location? using a mouse with a scroll wheel, i'm not always down over by the scroll window. can be a bit annoying to have to move the mouse over just to jump to top.

i know, i know, FWP.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
hey BV i had an idea - the up arrow that appears when you start scrolling up (the on that jumps you to the top of the page). it always appears at the bottom right corner near the window scroll bar. would it be at all possible to code it to have the arrow appear near the mouse pointer location? using a mouse with a scroll wheel, i'm not always down over by the scroll window. can be a bit annoying to have to move the mouse over just to jump to top.

i know, i know, FWP.
Nope... I mean, sure, it's possible, but there's enough floating/on-scroll javascript on the page that I don't want to add any more. I'm trying to clean some of it up as it is to make sure it behaves well on old devices.

That'd be kind of weird anyway... if you put it near the mouse cursor, you'd have to build in delays/tolerances so that you could actually move the mouse to click on it.

Also, weren't you saying how much you liked the hotkeys? Use the Home button :bonk:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Nope... I mean, sure, it's possible, but there's enough floating/on-scroll javascript on the page that I don't want to add any more. I'm trying to clean some of it up as it is to make sure it behaves well on old devices.

That'd be kind of weird anyway... if you put it near the mouse cursor, you'd have to build in delays/tolerances so that you could actually move the mouse to click on it.
gotcha. twas just a thought.

Also, weren't you saying how much you liked the hotkeys? Use the Home button :bonk:
i do like hotkeys! i'm just trying to help optimize the site for the unwashed hordes ;)

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
I don't have time to read this whole thing right now, so I apologize if this has been brought up. On the home page, I used to visit frequently to see the most current posts for the whole of RM, and I really liked that feature (saved my lazy butt from having to click on multiple forums). Now it appears to be "new forum threads" as a default or "new forum classifieds". it seems like the new forum thread is a good idea, but doesn't give as clear of a picture what is going on currently on RM. Is it possible to have the option, or is it available and I'm just missing it?

Or- if I'm the only one that liked it, I'll just suck it up.

Last edited:

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
On the home page, I used to visit frequently to see the most current posts for the whole of RM, and I really liked that feature (saved my lazy butt from having to click on multiple forums).
There's a "New Posts" function that works pretty much the same as the vBulletin one. It's here if you want to bookmark a link:
http://www.ridemonkey.com/find-new/posts

It's also available in the sub-menu when you're in the forum area (in the list of: Mark Forums Read, Search Forums, Watched Forums, Watched Threads, New Posts).

Is that what you mean?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
New Posts doesn't quite work the same. Once you read a post it disappears on the next new posts query, instead of showing up as a non-new post sorted by time.

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
There's a "New Posts" function that works pretty much the same as the vBulletin one. It's here if you want to bookmark a link:
http://www.ridemonkey.com/find-new/posts

It's also available in the sub-menu when you're in the forum area (in the list of: Mark Forums Read, Search Forums, Watched Forums, Watched Threads, New Posts).

Is that what you mean?
That looks like it! I like how you can see what is "trending", if you will, and I didn't realize how much I used it to keep up on the threads I was watching or participating in.

My personal opinion is that "new posts" is a better default for the home page than "new threads" to get people involved in forum discussions, but I am happy that it's still available!

Overall, very psyched on the new website- thank for putting it together!

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
When you load a page after a while it makes a little jump down so it difficult to press anything before the little jump. I use Chrome.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
When you load a page after a while it makes a little jump down so it difficult to press anything before the little jump. I use Chrome.
My theory is that this is to encourage (inadvertent, but counted) ad click-throughs

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
My theory is that this is to encourage (inadvertent, but counted) ad click-throughs
Put away the tinfoil hat.

Is it on all pages or just one type of page in particular - e.g. does it happen in threads AND the forum listing AND the discussion listing? Or just inside threads?

Also... desktop browser? Or mobile?

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
That little alert popup is really annoying when you are trying to type something.... locks everything up for 10-15 seconds.
And the browser has become really slow and clunky on this site for the last 2 days for some reason?
Think it might be image handling related as the more images on a page the worse it seems to get.

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
Ah ignore that last post, clearing the cache did change anything quitting and restarting browser didn't change anything, but force quiting and then restarting seems to have sped it all up awesomely!

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I've been unable to unsubscribe from some threads that predated the transition.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I've been unable to unsubscribe from some threads that predated the transition.
Hmm... weird. Which link do you see at the top? Does it say "Watch Thread" or "Unwatch thread"? Have you tried toggling it through the different states - if it says "watch thread" have you tried clicking to watch it, then clicking again to unwatch it?

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I'm clicking the unsubscribe from this thread link in the email notification. It takes me to a page asking that I confirm my change, but it doesn't work.

I'll try unsubscribing in the thread.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Unsubscribing in the thread works. Disabling emails from the thread via the link in the email, not so much.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Disabling them through email for new threads (threads you've subscribed to after we switched) works, though, right?