Quantcast

You've got $1500 to buy a DH bike. What do you get?

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
The bike will be heavily flogged. We're talking 230# of straight line riding wookie at the helm.

Old school with a good spec, or new school with parts that won't last?

After my crash yesterday, I am trying to justify to Wifey that a true DH bike should be in my future. My 303DH was awesome until the head tube cracked. I've found a few older square tube Turner's and gen 1 Glory's in that range. I figure anything I get around that price range will need a new set of bushings/bearings, so the bike will need to be supported still.

Oh, and it has to have a long top tube. 6'4" puts me in a large from everybody, unless they make an XL, then I'd ride that.

Fire away. If you know somebody selling a complete, large bike in that range, send me their contact info.

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
Cool thing about the old demos like that (for you) is that they have an even more massive top tube than the current version. Probably closer to an XL I'd think

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Cool thing about the old demos like that (for you) is that they have an even more massive top tube than the current version. Probably closer to an XL I'd think
The current L is way too small. I haven't been able to get onto an XL to try it though. That's also one of the issues I have with speculating on what to buy.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Not going to happen, so no.
Well, $1500 is going to get you a clapped out old rig that probably isn't safe to ride at your size/stature, or a REALLY clapped out/poorly spec'd new rig that also isn't safe to ride at your size/stature. Or a decent dirt bike.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
The bike will be heavily flogged. We're talking 230# of straight line riding wookie at the helm.

After my crash yesterday, I am trying to justify to Wifey that a true DH bike should be in my future. My 303DH was awesome until the head tube cracked. I've found a few older square tube Turner's and gen 1 Glory's in that range. I figure anything I get around that price range will need a new set of bushings/bearings, so the bike will need to be supported still.

Oh, and it has to have a long top tube. 6'4" puts me in a large from everybody, unless they make an XL, then I'd ride that.

Fire away. If you know somebody selling a complete, large bike in that range, send me their contact info.
There is a large fram 08 Giant Glory local to me, I've seen the bike when the previous owner had it, and the new owner probably has ridden it a handful of times if that. Stock build, marz 66 out front. Could probably be had for $1000 or less. I will dig the link up for you and send it your way if you are interested.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
I just helped my brother get a Morewood Izimu for $1100. Nice bike, pretty decent build. I'm actually looking forward to testing it out. Deals are out there, you just have to wait. Although the large might still be tight for you. There were a couple V10s for sale in that price range that looked nice. You can easily find a DH bike for under $1500. Those that are saying you can't, haven't looked....

IMO $1500 gets you a 2 stroke. I wouldn't ride a two stroke again, but that's just me...

dbozman

Monkey
May 11, 2008
Scottsdale, AZ
At your height I wouldn't buy a Morewood. Sizing is small. I'm 6'2 and both my previous Izimus were too small (size L).

You could easily find a first-gen Glory in your price range and sizing is better.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I know about the morewood and that's already off the list. I didn't think about the Flatline. Has anybody ridden one?

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
I know about the morewood and that's already off the list. I didn't think about the Flatline. Has anybody ridden one?
I've not ridden the nice new ones. Tippie, vanderham, and a couple of my riding friends have em and love em.

They're not racer-folk though...

I thought I read something about them coming out with a new DH bike soon, so that might help you drive a harder bargain...

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
Sorry that was directly at Stoney. He know's the bike.
I was being a smart a$$ is the sense that is probably the bike I would buy. Can't go wrong with a decent build on a V10 for $1500. The guys saying DH bikes are death traps for <$1500 are off their rocker. I'm sure there are plenty of bikes that are 5 years old that haven't even seen a fraction of the use some bikes that are a year old. Would I buy an 09 from BC, probably not....

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
I was being a smart a$$ is the sense that is probably the bike I would buy. Can't go wrong with a decent build on a V10 for $1500. The guys saying DH bikes are death traps for <$1500 are off their rocker. I'm sure there are plenty of bikes that are 5 years old that haven't even seen a fraction of the use some bikes that are a year old. Would I buy an 09 from BC, probably not....
Your only hope is to find that old gem that has been owned by some washed up 40+ rider and hardly ever seen dirt I guess. I've *almost* never seen a DH bike worth owning go for less than $2k. And I've seen LOTS of bikes not worth owning go for more than that.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
Your only hope is to find that old gem that has been owned by some washed up 40+ rider and hardly ever seen dirt I guess. I've *almost* never seen a DH bike worth owning go for less than $2k. And I've seen LOTS of bikes not worth owning go for more than that.
You haven't looked. I found plenty in less than a week. There are quite a few bikes that don't get saddle time...at least enough to 'wear' them out. You can also powdercoat and re-bearing probably 80% of frames and they would look and ride like new.

M3s, pre-DW round tube DHRs, Demo 8s, V10s....all perfectly capable frames that can easily be found at or around $1500.

Last edited:

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
You haven't looked. I found plenty in less than a week. There are quite a few bikes that don't get saddle time...at least enough to 'wear' them out. You can also powdercoat and re-bearing probably 80% of frames and they would look and ride like new.

M3s, pre-DW round tube DHRs, Demo 8s, V10s....all perfectly capable frames that can easily be found at or around $1500.
I'm with stupid. You can get a lot of bike for not a lot of money. I had a fully functional izimu with brand new bars, stem, cranks, rear hub, fork, brakes, rotors, vivid air shock, minion dhfs, and some lightly used other parts. My bike was less shiny, but 95% of the performance of most other bikes on the market.

tabletop84

Monkey
Nov 12, 2011
You can get a decent bike for that money. These are just a few examples of bikes I could get for this amount:

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
You also have quite a few more options if you know what you are looking at and willing to have the bike shipped. I wanted to get my brother something local and got lucky we did since he doesn't know squat about bikes. I wanted him to be able to look at it. Seeing as you know bikes and what a decent build looks like, there are quite a few more options. I would have just pulled the trigger for him if we couldn't find one locally in a reasonable amount of time.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Another good option is to find something with decent geometry that is a bit out of favor, like a flatline or pre aurum norco. Trek session 10, Cove, etc, then mod with an angle set

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Another good option is to find something with decent geometry that is a bit out of favor, like a flatline or pre aurum norco. Trek session 10, Cove, etc, then mod with an angle set
I've already been looking at that option.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I don't really understand the part about an older bike with "good spec" or a newer bike with parts that won't last, but anyway...

Have you thought about just renting now and then? How many times can a wookie rent a mid-level, current DH bike for $1500 you get to thrash and hand back at the end of each day?

Last edited:

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
You can also powdercoat and re-bearing probably 80% of frames and they would look and ride like new.
LOLLLLLLL yeah because THAT'S what matters.

All of those were pretty fragile bikes too. M3's break left and right, none of them are straight. Plus they're tiny. Round tube DHR's were also weak as hell (snapped swingarms and will break shock/linkage bolts if you look at it wrong). V10's clap out just from sitting still. Older demo's are relatively strong, but just odd.

Flatlines are surprisingly solid bikes. Not super racey, but simple, non-gimmicky, good geo, and cheap enough for a recent bike (it seems).

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
As for renting, at $110 a day, going up 6-7 times per year puts me at $660-770. Add in 10 or so shuttle days, and we're paid for. Also, it's hard to find a large enough for the wookie.

I'm not particular for any brand. Just long, low, and slack. What about longevity on square tube DHR's? They tend to keep popping up in my searches. I'm not familiar with the Norco or Rockies, so I need to dig there a bit.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
You'll want an XL in a V-10, according to everyone else I know your height that rides them. I'd stay away from older Sessions, you'll break those only immediately IMHO. I think square tube DHR's have no issues with longevity, but isn't that the frame that has limited shock options? No room for a reservoir shock IIRC. I put out an email to a bunch of guys here locally to see if anyone has or knows of something. I'll keep my ears open as well.

Last edited:

the law

Monkey
Jun 25, 2002
where its at

I recommend a Michelin suit for protection. ;)

Seriously though, what happened this time?

fro biker

Monkey
Oct 18, 2006
in the sticks
As for renting, at $110 a day, going up 6-7 times per year puts me at $660-770. Add in 10 or so shuttle days, and we're paid for. Also, it's hard to find a large enough for the wookie.

I'm not particular for any brand. Just long, low, and slack. What about longevity on square tube DHR's? They tend to keep popping up in my searches. I'm not familiar with the Norco or Rockies, so I need to dig there a bit.
That Rocky from page 2 is pretty on point with your needs. They are build for speed and heavy riding - Vanderham was behind that process. The large copper Demo someone posted up is also a great buy. Out of the lot, I'd just dig in on those two and see what happens. For a guy built like you, those bikes are about as good as you'll get for the price, especially with safety in mind.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Wait a second... You were riding the world DH championship PODIUM performing yeti SB66, and you're looking for a new DH bike?

Why? Spend the extra dough on adding a "C" to it.

Or maybe a 180mm fork?