Quantcast

1% propaganda?

sstalder5

Turbo Monkey
Aug 20, 2008
Beech Mtn Definitely NOT Boulder
Here's my version. It probably applys to a lot more college students than that^

I am a college sophomore, hopefully graduating.
My parents pay for all of my expenses by working <30 hour weeks making way above minimum wage.
I chose a high priced private liberal arts college and I started saving for a $2k bike at age 17.
I got mediocre grades in high school and received a scholarship which covers 80% of my tuition.
I currently have a 2.3 GPA.
I live in a dorm with pretty much everything I want. I eat out whenever I want to, but usually choose to eat healthy.
I have my parent's credit card, a nice car, and an iPhone - and I'm perfectly ok with that.
I plan to live off my parents until I graduate.
I am considered the 99% and it looks like I'm doing quite well. The "99%" stinking up wallstreet and turning it into a freakshow, need to get their **** together.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
I love how many people are angry at the protestors. I know they may be silly NY hipster kids but be honest. You also are the 99% (unless we got people driving ferraris on rm) and doesnt it piss you off that the only group that is getting wealthier is the top 1%? Its not that the top 1% works harder and harder from the 80s up untill now. There isnt enough coke in the world. The system is ****ed up and it is catering to the 1% which often are non creative jobs where you actually produce nothing and get a ton of money for that.
A good example of that is CEO racing by big corps where getting a star ceo gets you 1-5% more cash while you pay him 50+% more. Doesnt it seem silly?
Myself Im in a job that if I decide to keep it working I may end up making a lot of money. It seems all good but I know I wont be really producing much and just be an in between guy(funny as they always get the most). Not wanting to do that is not being lazy its actually the opposite since I really want to do something that makes an impact. Not be another ant in a company thats big for big sake and where people work for working. The system is silly and it makes me sick. Mock all you want but this still sucks.

ICEBALL585

Bacontard
Sep 8, 2009
.:585:.
I love how many people are angry at the protestors. I know they may be silly NY hipster kids but be honest. You also are the 99% (unless we got people driving ferraris on rm) and doesnt it piss you off that the only group that is getting wealthier is the top 1%? Its not that the top 1% works harder and harder from the 80s up untill now. There isnt enough coke in the world. The system is ****ed up and it is catering to the 1% which often are non creative jobs where you actually produce nothing and get a ton of money for that.
A good example of that is CEO racing by big corps where getting a star ceo gets you 1-5% more cash while you pay him 50+% more. Doesnt it seem silly?
Myself Im in a job that if I decide to keep it working I may end up making a lot of money. It seems all good but I know I wont be really producing much and just be an in between guy(funny as they always get the most). Not wanting to do that is not being lazy its actually the opposite since I really want to do something that makes an impact. Not be another ant in a company thats big for big sake and where people work for working. The system is silly and it makes me sick. Mock all you want but this still sucks.
Um... isn't this the "Randon Picture Thread"? Not the bitch about the economy thread. Might want to start a new thread for that topic.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Um... isn't this the "Randon Picture Thread"? Not the bitch about the economy thread. Might want to start a new thread for that topic.
Im not bitching about your constant reposts so stop bitching about my bitching. Its not like I started the argument.

Also not to be off topic. Here is a nsfw gift for you

ICEBALL585

Bacontard
Sep 8, 2009
.:585:.
Im not bitching about your constant reposts so stop bitching about my bitching. Its not like I started the argument.
Damn dude, wasnt trying to attack anyone. Just wanted to point out that this a thread dedicated to pictures. Way to kill the fun of a mountain biking forum :confused:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
You also are the 99%
I'm an up and coming 1%er*, and I'm all for the protests. I think the balance of power in both the government and the economy has swung far too much in the direction of capital, and the current situation of record corporate profits and high, sustained unemployment is galling, to say the least.

I think people who have achieved any significant degree of success forget all too easily the various and sundry people and programs that helped them along their paths. (Hell, even see that scholarship example above.) Once forgotten, they then proceed to self-select their acquaintances and their media sources to only those that parrot the story that they're all highly deserving self-made men, and then the echoing chamber effect kicks in and the world-as-they-perceive-it turns into an Ayn Rand morality play.

* I'll never make the 0.1% or 0.01% percentiles, though. Those heights are reserved for inherited money schmucks like the Kochs, celebrities and the rare fiscally prudent sports stars, and hedge fund types who got rich by playing with other peoples' money and taking a cut.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Hey look who's back. We missed you in the 'my penis extension is bigger than yours' thread.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Hey look who's back. We missed you in the 'my penis extension is bigger than yours' thread.
He rides Moots. Obviously he speaks a greater truth, and you should thank him for his contribution to the CO economy now that your a resident. Without his texas oil money to support the CO economy we would still be living in caves. Like SkaredShtless.

armada

Monkey
Aug 27, 2010
i dont get it, what do they want? every protestor is saying that they will stay in the park as it is needed but they have yet to tell the world what their demans are:D

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
"I am a college senior"

Ok, that says it all. Can't wait to see how he/she feels in another 5 years when he/she's flipping burgers utilizing that "Sociology" degree for all it's worth.
Hey, my wife has a degree in sociology and........never mind.

Seriously though, "started saving for college @ 17". So in a year you saved enough money for school? :think:

JayBear

Monkey
Heres My Take...Un employment is high. People claim there are no jobs. The truth of the matter is people refuse to settle for jobs that they feel are inferior to them. I understand that your parents told you that you could be anything you want when you grow up, but the reality is not everyone is going to score there dream job, or win dancing with the stars. Sometimes you just gotta work and look for something better in the interum. Fight the power...hell yes, just dont take it for another oppurtunity to complain and do nothing about it.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
let me put it this way... if a person is working nearly full time while taking a full course load and is maintaining a 3.5+ gpa... i would call into question the quality of an education they're getting.
full time job in college....selling weed/rx drugs....

Andyman_1970

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2003
The Natural State
let me put it this way... if a person is working nearly full time while taking a full course load and is maintaining a 3.5+ gpa... i would call into question the quality of an education they're getting.
I did that. Worked 50+ hours at night at the local sealed lead battery factory and carried at least 12 hours (considered full time) for 7 semesters. For 2 additional semesters I took graduate level courses in addition to full time at the battery factory. That wasn't a desk job either, I was on the production floor building batteries.....hot, nasty work that required getting my blood drawn once a month to monitor my pB levels.

It can be done, you just have to sacrafice any sort of life outside of school/work.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I did that. Worked 50+ hours at night at the local sealed lead battery factory and carried at least 12 hours (considered full time) for 7 semesters. For 2 additional semesters I took graduate level courses in addition to full time at the battery factory. That wasn't a desk job either, I was on the production floor building batteries.....hot, nasty work that required getting my blood drawn once a month to monitor my pB levels.

It can be done, you just have to sacrafice any sort of life outside of school/work.
never said it couldn't be done... those can achieve it are the exception, not the rule. Job market for college grads these days is EXTREMELY competitive. Having a college degree doesn't mean as much as it used to... a lot of people i know who have degrees are underemployed.

edit: you should also be OK in the event of nuclear fallout :thumb:

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
:wave:

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
I went to a pretty rigorous/well regarded tech school, and was pissed I could only work 12-16ish hours a week due to course scheduling. I worked part time at the company I now work for full time, which was an hour away, but worked as many hours as I could fit around my school schedule. On Wednesdays I didn't have class until 1pm, so I would wake up at 4, get 6-7 hours of work in then come back for class. I also managed to ride 2-3 times a week, which was also a 1/2 hour drive away.

Granted I probably didn't spend as much time on school work as I could/should have, but I graduated with a decent GPA, and had plenty of time to work/ride. In fact, I could have graduated a semester early if I planned my schedules better (thanks useless advisor!). I always just saw school as a necessary evil.....give me my damn degree and let me do real work. That mentality full set in 1/2 way through senior year.

Last edited: