Quantcast

Birthers?!

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
"I believe with all my heart that Barack Obama is destroying this country

so... since obama, in some areas, is effectively doing nothing more than carrying on bush's policies... he's also stating that bush was destroying the country too.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
so... since obama, in some areas, is effectively doing nothing more than carrying on bush's policies... he's also stating that bush was destroying the country too.
He's also individually singled out Bush, Carter, and Bush senior as THE worst president this country has ever had. Don't remember if he hit reagan or not......he was pretending to run as a repub so maybe not.

Gonna miss that tard. Looked like he was having fun.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
"I cannot in good conscience publish it and expect anyone to believe it."
Says the guy who is "World Net Daily Editor and Chief Executive Officer". :twitch:

*edit: Guess I should have known better than to expect that kind of self reflection from the :tinfoil: crowd.
Wednesday morning, Esquire's Mark Warren published an item on the magazine's politics blog that asserted that Jerome Corsi's loony-book, "Where's the Birth Certificate?" was being pulled from bookstore shelves and was on its way to being pulped. Along the way, the item alleged that Corsi was in a row with WorldNetDaily's Joseph Farah over the matter.

As you may know already, the item was a satiric fake. A good one, too -- had I not thought to check the provenance of the title of a Corsi book that Warren presented as real, "Capricorn One: NASA, JFK, and the Great 'Moon Landing' Cover-Up," I might have easily fallen for it as well. But it was good enough to fool many, and by the end of the day, Esquire got to enjoy a lot of people sputtering in rage over the dupe, including a hilarious insinuation from Farah that he was exploring a legal remedy.

Lots of critics have deemed this a poor attempt at satire for the very reason that it fooled so many people. These are poor students of the form, of course -- high school English classes teach us that Jonathan Swift's A Modest Proposal elicited similar outrage from people who thought that Swift's plan to aid the poor by allowing them to sell their children as culinary delights for the aristocracy was something he was suggesting in earnest. The Warren post combined the same level of Swiftian plausibility with a healthy dose of what modern day satirists The Yes Men call "identity correction" -- the impersonation of Farah, in order to put the words he should be saying into his mouth.

However, the true measure of Esquire's success can be seen in the responses they elicited from the target of their joke. Consider these highlighted portions from Farah's various statements:

* "Don't believe everything you read," Farah said, in an interview with TPM.

* "Let me say this very clearly: There is not a single word of that report that is true," Farah said, to the Daily Caller.

* "This is an astonishingly reckless report by a company that has demonstrated its total disregard for the truth," Farah said, at his own site.

By now, I'm sure your irony alarms are ringing like crazy. As these sentiments can be directly, and more fittingly, applied to Corsi's book itself, I have to imagine that Warren and his colleagues enjoyed every single one. That's Warren's punchline. That's Esquire's victory. And Farah is going to figure out on what grounds he might be able to sue Esquire? Well, that will be delightful. Perhaps Farah will come to know what it means to be hoisted with one's own petard.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/05/19/esquire-reactions-to-corsi-satire_n_864196.html?
and

UPDATE, 12:25 p.m., for those who didn't figure it out yet, and the many on Twitter for whom it took a while: We committed satire this morning to point out the problems with selling and marketing a book that has had its core premise and reason to exist gutted by the news cycle, several weeks in advance of publication. Are its author and publisher chastened? Well, no. They double down, and accuse the President of the United States of perpetrating a fraud on the world by having released a forged birth certificate. Not because this claim is in any way based on reality, but to hold their terribly gullible audience captive to their lies, and to sell books. This is despicable, and deserves only ridicule. That's why we committed satire in the matter of the Corsi book. Hell, even the president has a sense of humor about it all. Some more serious reporting from us on this whole "birther" phenomenon here, here, and here.
http://www.esquire.com/blogs/politics/jerome-corsi-birther-book-5765410

Last edited:

Hello Kitty

Monkey
Nov 25, 2004
Houston
PDF Layers in Obama?s Birth Certificate - By Nathan Goulding - The Corner - National Review Online

The PDF is composed of multiple images. That?s correct. Using a photo editor or PDF viewer of your choice, you can extract this image data, view it, hide it, etc. But these layers, as they?re being called, aren?t layers in the traditional photo-editing sense of the word. They are, quite literally, pieces of image data that have been positioned in a PDF container. They appear as text but also contain glyphs, dots, lines, boxes, squiggles, and random garbage. They?re not combined or merged in any way. Quite simply, they look like they were created programmatically, not by a human.

What?s plausible is that somewhere along the way ? from the scanning device to the PDF-creation software, both of which can perform OCR (optical character recognition) ? these partial/pseudo-text images were created and saved. What?s not plausible is that the government spent all this time manufacturing Obama?s birth certificate only to commit the laughably rookie mistake of exporting the layers from Photoshop, or whatever photo editing software they are meant to have used. It?s likely that whoever scanned the birth certificate in Hawaii forgot to turn off the OCR setting on the scanner. Let?s leave it at that.

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
Personally, I believe everything Donald Trump tells me so I am not surprised that Rick Perry or Hello Kitty do too.

They would be fools not to listen to The Donald. Judging from his TV reality series appearances the man is a grade A genius.

Last edited:

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Wait, isn't the conclusion from the National Review article that it's NOT a photoshop? Huh??

Not that I care either way, but just for the sake of reading comprehension. (I am not, however, gonna waste time buffering video from potential tinfoil hats...)

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Birthers say Marco Rubio is not eligible to be president - St. Petersburg Times
Holy crud. Orly Taitz is right about something; "natural born" citizen DOES need a legal definition. She's just not gonna like it when it is firmly defined.
At the same time, I'm all for ending the 14th amendment's jus soli citizenship provisions, but the fact is they do exist, regardless of the tortured amateur legal reasoning they're applying in desperation to prove that Obama in the White House is a violation of some intrinsic cosmic order.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
I find this dispute silly not only because of the lack of evidence he is not US born but because of the question. Why are they so obsessed with his place of birth? He was chosen by the US people as their president. That's what matters. I doubt a birth certificate makes someone a better president.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
Birthers say Marco Rubio is not eligible to be president - St. Petersburg Times
Holy crud. Orly Taitz is right about something; "natural born" citizen DOES need a legal definition. She's just not gonna like it when it is firmly defined.
At the same time, I'm all for ending the 14th amendment's jus soli citizenship provisions, but the fact is they do exist, regardless of the tortured amateur legal reasoning they're applying in desperation to prove that Obama in the White House is a violation of some intrinsic cosmic order.
So, by the birther's definition the first 6 presidents of the United States were all illegitimate since none of them were "naturally born citizens"... They were all born before the United States even existed, and born to parents who weren't US citizens either.

Pesqueeb

Feb 2, 2007
Points for consistency I guess.......
Birthers want proof that Mitt Romney was born in America:
No, you read that right. You might think birthers are crazy conspiracy theorists, but you can't say they're inconsistent. The fringe group of politicians and concerned voters who have long dogged President Obama for "proof" that he is a natural born citizen are now targeting Mitt Romney. They demand that the California Secretary of State produce evidence that Mitt is eligible to run for president. One birther explains that Romney's citizenship is up for debate because his dad was born in Mexico. Thats right, Mitt Romney's father was born in the Mexican colony that Mitt's great-grandfather founded after fleeing the United States so he could stay married to Romney's four great-grandmothers. Let's all just let that sink in for a moment.
http://now.msn.com/now/0322-romney-vs-birthers.aspx

Pesqueeb

Feb 2, 2007
Last edited:

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
don't ask me how i know this, but oct 3rd is also the same date oj was set free, so historically, this is a good day for teh darkness