Quantcast

Cash for Clunkers is dumb

J-Dubs

Monkey
Jul 10, 2006
Salem, MA
I'm sure CNN and NPR also have a better representative example of life in the middle east for a Marine than the Marine himself. :no:
They probably don't, but when it comes to reporting on economic trends and citing reports that use data from a wide range of sources across the country, I'll rely on that before I ask your buddies.

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
Even though the Corolla gets more than double? I think the 21mpg rating is way high, too. That car got 18mpg at best.
I hear you man, I am dreading the days when people are arguing with us that they get 18mpg's when uncle sam says otherwise.

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/sbs.htm

I just had to settle an argument 1 hour ago with a guy that didn't want to pay taxes on a advertised price fromt he newspaper. Some days I want to beat people to death with a hammer, today is one of them. I sound like knuckleslammer

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
Personally I love the program I'm going to be utilizing it soon.

I'm driving a crappy 2000 dodge dakota v8 with 90k miles. It gets about 11-13 miles per gallon on average. KBB says private party value is 3800 and trade in value is at 3200. But you also have to think of the savings because I don't have to waste my time getting the truck inspected and anything fixed if it needs it, or any time/money listing and selling the vehicle.

I'm trading the truck in to get a Honda Fit. My truck obviously qualifies for the program, as does the Fit.

The 4500 comes essentially in the form of a down payment, after I crunching some numbers at the dealership my monthly payments for the Fit are going to be right around 230 a month. Similarly, I would be saving approximately 80-100 dollars a month in gas from switching from the truck to the Fit.

Sounds like a good program to me...

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Here is a link but do your own for your area incentives and the exact equipment you want.

http://www.edmunds.com/new/2009/honda/fit/101061259/optionsresults.html?action=2
One better is you can solicit offers from dealers in your area through Edmunds. We did that when we were looking at the Fit and the offer we got was $4k bellow what they had on the window of the same car.

Not that we couldn't have talked them down, but it would have been much easier to evaluate the offers, pit them against each other and spend no time at the dealership.

JustMtnB44

Monkey
Sep 13, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
I was just talking with a co-worker and he suggested I use this program to dump my 1999 Chevy Lumina with 3.8L V6 and a KBB value of around $1500. Problem is, even though fuel consumption is terrible, it is not low enough to qualify.

Even though the Corolla gets more than double? I think the 21mpg rating is way high, too. That car got 18mpg at best.
Same here. The combined rating of my Lumina is 21mpg, but my average is more like 18mpg.

You know what's stupid?

cars with rear seats that don't fold down....
:agree: hmm, no more 'I'm with stupid' smiley? But yeah, there is no reason not to have that feature. My Lumina does not and it sucks, so I swore I would never buy another car without folding rear seats.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
Another form of income redistribution... some people are gonna LOVE it... and the rest of us can foot the bill. And in the end it will do pretty much jack squat.

Maybe I'm too cynical.

:D
ya think? see below:

Personally I love the program I'm going to be utilizing it soon.

I'm driving a crappy 2000 dodge dakota v8 with 90k miles. It gets about 11-13 miles per gallon on average. KBB says private party value is 3800 and trade in value is at 3200. But you also have to think of the savings because I don't have to waste my time getting the truck inspected and anything fixed if it needs it, or any time/money listing and selling the vehicle.

Sounds like a good program to me...
So you save yourself $700 and the US taxpayer shells out $4500. Yup, awesome program!! :yes:

trailhacker

Turbo Monkey
Jan 6, 2003
In the hills around Seattle
FYI you only get "scrap value" for your trade in - makes the math not really work on any well maintained car younger than 10 years old :(
Huh?!?! I am not sure I understand your point.
If your car is worth more than $3500/4500 (whatever bracket you would fall in) then this deal does nothing for you.
If you qualify for the best deal ($4500) and your trade is worth than $4500 then you wouldn't go for this deal. It wouldn't make sense.

This is how I see this working for me, and maybe boogenman can clarify this.
I trade in my '06 GMC truck on a new Fit. I get the trade in value of the GMC (probably a wash with outstanding loan owed so no equity).
I also trade in my '86 GMC that I would be lucky to get $1000 for(*). The '86 runs, drives and has been continously insured and registered for over one year.
The mileage difference is more than 10mpg (15 vs. 33) so I get the full $4500 benefit. This brings the cost of the new fit down to the price range of a fit that is a few years old with ~30k on it. I get new for the price of used.
Any reason why that wouldn't work?

For someone asking about how the dealers are going to pay for getting the cars to the scrappers:
"(j) Appropriation- There is hereby appropriated to the Secretary of Transportation $1,000,000,000, of which up to $50,000,000 is
available for administration, to remain available until expended to
carry out this section".
Not sure if that covers that but it might?

Also, as was also mentioned before, the scrappers will be able to sell parts:
(B) SAVINGS PROVISION- Nothing in subparagraph (A)
may be construed to preclude a person who is responsible
for ensuring that the vehicle is crushed or shredded from-
-
(i) selling any parts of the disposed vehicle other
than the engine block and drive train (unless with
respect to the drive train, the transmission, drive
shaft, or rear end are sold as separate parts); or
(ii) retaining the proceeds from such sale."
Or maybe I am not understanding that correctly? If so, the scrappers/wrecking yards could make our like bandits with this. And it sort of contradicts what people are saying about repair shops not being able to find used parts.

(*)This is the part my girlfriend will like; I then go buy another truck like the one I traded in to take its place because the market around here is flooded with trucks like mine...

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Not sure you could trade both trucks in, but you can surely trade the old one. But obviously I am no expert on this program.

trailhacker

Turbo Monkey
Jan 6, 2003
In the hills around Seattle
Not sure you could trade both trucks in, but you can surely trade the old one. But obviously I am no expert on this program.
Never been against the rules before as I have doen it on more than one occasion. Just not sure how it works with the CARS program though?
It would be achieveing its goals; me buying a new car and taking my oil/coolant leaking "clunker" off the road to be scrapped.

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
Not that we couldn't have talked them down, but it would have been much easier to evaluate the offers, pit them against each other and spend no time at the dealership.

I spend much of my time at work selling and I love people like you. Although it seems cheap and what not it actually makes our job really easy :)

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I spend much of my time at work selling and I love people like you. Although it seems cheap and what not it actually makes our job really easy :)
Oh, I know. If I can walk in with a check from the bank and drive off in 30 minutes, everyone is happy. Sure the sales guy might not have made as much money on the sale, but what he made took all of 30 minutes (or less if he hands me off to someone else for paperwork).

I don't like the "get up and walk out" game. It's a huge pain in the ass. The Fit was the first time I used the offer thing at Edmunds, but we got 3 different offers, all were very good without leaving the house.

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
Oh, I know. If I can walk in with a check from the bank and drive off in 30 minutes, everyone is happy. Sure the sales guy might not have made as much money on the sale, but what he made took all of 30 minutes (or less if he hands me off to someone else for paperwork).

Everyone in my building is paid flat rates for a sale so price does not matter:)
Hyundai buyers are cheap mofo's

Trailhacker,

Yes you can trade in both vehicles. Everyone is allowed 1 voucher for the cash for clunkers program but your 2006 trade would be a completly different transaction. Depending on what state you live in the trade in value if the 2006 is also tax free

Last edited:

46chief

Monkey
Jun 12, 2007
It's not dumb, it's incentive for me to to trade in my POS and get new for a used price. too bad you fail obama hater.... VW TDI Sportwagen will be affordable for me.

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
It's not dumb, it's incentive for me to to trade in my POS and get new for a used price. too bad you fail obama hater.... VW TDI Sportwagen will be affordable for me.
I drive a TDI already bitch tits :yu:

I'm not a Obabma hater either, I just have issues with this program only reaching out to a very small portion of the population.

46chief

Monkey
Jun 12, 2007
I'm surprised there's no "must buy domestic" clause. I'm so glad they have something that prevents people from just going out and buying a junker car and then tryng to cash in on this. It would be such a scam to see that going down.
Most likely cuz there's other companies in this country manufacturing cars and employing 'mericans besides the the big two stimulus suckers and Ford.

46chief

Monkey
Jun 12, 2007
I drive a TDI already bitch tits :yu:

I'm not a Obabma hater either, I just have issues with this program only reaching out to a very small portion of the population.
Well poo pounder I'm happy you have a TDI, you may have some common sense. You said you're a dealer? You sell TDI's, I will be looking for my second one soon.

I disagree with your small percentage comment, you should leave the city, and check out the farm communities. I think half the people I've ever worked with that commute would benefit from this, and have heard alot of positive response from even Obama haters.

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
I live in a farm community.

Peeps that drive 1992 F-250's in the farm land drive them because they are:
1. Broke and toothless
2. Toothless with piss poor credit

I work for a far superior brand, Hyundai

VW's are junk

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
ok...does this only apply to the purchase of a NEW vehicle? or can i trade in my '01 windstar gas guzzler, get the voucher and buy, say a '04 Odyssey (that gets much better mileage)? i refuse to EVER buy a new vehicle but i am in the market for a new (to me) vehicle as my POS ford has 140k miles and won't last much longer.....statistically speaking.

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
ok...does this only apply to the purchase of a NEW vehicle? or can i trade in my '01 windstar gas guzzler, get the voucher and buy, say a '04 Odyssey (that gets much better mileage)? i refuse to EVER buy a new vehicle but i am in the market for a new (to me) vehicle as my POS ford has 140k miles and won't last much longer.....statistically speaking.
no, sorry