Quantcast

Cash for Clunkers is dumb

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
That's because YOU DRIVE LIKE A COP! My wife can somehow manage to get 10mpg in my truck when I was out of town and yet I get 18mpg on average. :patsak:
haha..not in my van i don't. i'm so afraid to get on the gas in that american pos that i drive it like ms. daisy's in the back. in the past 2 years i have changed out both O2 sensors, 2 batteries, 2 alternators, piston coil, brake rotors with less than 20k miles, 2 sets of wheel bearings (and a 3rd that i have to do soon)

i'm glad it's been paid for a while 'cause i couldn't afford to make a payment AND fix it every month :think:

now..my subaru? i drive that one like a cop running to a brawl at woodstock. it's 15 years old, has zero problems and runs circles around my van in handling, performance, and gas mileage. i average about 27mpg in it. why can't 'mericans build cars like that? oh yeah, when it comes to maintenance, my subaru's oil filter and drain plug are easily accessible without a lift or special tools. my ford van had the drain plug so far back that i have to jack it up to get far enough under it to reach and the filter is so difficult to reach even Mr. Fantastic would have a hard time getting to it.

Last edited:

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Top 5 reasons CFC might be teh failboat (most have been covered here):

1. The voucher replaces the trade-in deal you might otherwise get from the dealership; it’s not in addition to the car’s private sale or trade-in value. In other words, if you’re trading in a car that’s worth $3000, your net gain is only $500. Although if your car is worth $100, CFC couldn’t come at a better time.

2. We’re not sure how many folks driving cars worth $3500 or less are in the market for a new car in the first place. Sure, there’s the occasional fresh-out-of-college new-hire (we’re not sure who’s hiring right now, but we’ll play make-believe) that might still be ready to move from a Dodge Omni to a shiny new Honda Insight, but people driving cheap old beaters are probably doing so because they can’t afford a new car. And $3500 doesn’t go far when the average transaction price of new cars hovers around $24K. The vouchers don’t apply toward the purchase of used cars, for which the majority of old beaters are traded in.

3. People driving large, gas-gulping old cars and trucks often do so because they need the utility those vehicles provide. Old station wagons, for example, have few modern counterparts that are as versatile while achieving better fuel economy. Ditto pickups, which have gotten bigger and more capable but not much more fuel-efficient. And if the government thinks that someone is going to step out of a 1994 Dodge Ram into a Honda Fit, they need to get out of D.C. a little more often.

4. Naturally, we have some reservations about any bill designed to facilitate wiping out—we’re sorry, recycling—any automotive species. And let’s face it, while there are a lot of bona fide clunkers out there, we’re afraid that a bunch of future classics will get caught in this roundup. We propose, then, that a certified auto enthusiast (paid, of course) be placed at all certified CFC dealerships to screen the cars that are brought in, returning the cool cars—including anything with T-tops—to the streets.

5. Besides cleansing the U.S. of gas-guzzling pigs, the other supposed benefit of the CFC program is to provide a short-term boost to the starving auto business. However, we hope these legislators don’t expect it to meaningfully help the domestic automakers. Many of the automobiles with fuel-economy ratings high enough to qualify for the vouchers come from Japan and Korea.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
I will be trading in my '87 4runner under this program. If this program did not exist, I would drive it for another 100k miles. It makes me a little sad, because I do consider the gen 1 4runners classics, but though mine started out straight and beautiful, it is now dented, scratched, cracked, and leaky. This is too much money to pass up, and it is better to get the thing off the road.

The only part that worries me is that she technically has a combined EPA of 19MPG (18/22), but that's by the old standard. I would be really really shocked if my 22 year old SUV did not qualify for this program because it's not "under 18MPG."

edit: I should add, I'm having the darndest time finding a new vehicle I actually want. Even the little Subies get **** for mileage. Toyota doesn't make a compact pickup or off-roadable SUV anymore. The Matrix AWD doesn't come in a 5-spd. Honda and Scion don't have anything with AWD. Christ, no wonder all these companies are tanking. They're not serving me.

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
The only part that worries me is that she technically has a combined EPA of 19MPG (18/22), but that's by the old standard. I would be really really shocked if my 22 year old SUV did not qualify for this program because it's not "under 18MPG."
1mpg away and you 100% fail like this silly program :think:

All vehicles MUST get 18mpg or less

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/sbs.htm

edit: sorry looks like you need to input your info for the link above.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
my guess is they make it flexible. I mean, if someone is willing to get rid of the Fiero for a Fit, i would think they would give dealer discretion. Not that car salesman are known for good discretion, but you get the idea.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
<snip>

Really? You apparently don't have a healthy enough scorn for government stupidity. :D

edit: I should add, I'm having the darndest time finding a new vehicle I actually want. Even the little Subies get **** for mileage. Toyota doesn't make a compact pickup or off-roadable SUV anymore. The Matrix AWD doesn't come in a 5-spd. Honda and Scion don't have anything with AWD. Christ, no wonder all these companies are tanking. They're not serving me.
I'd recommend driving your Toyota for another 100K miles. :monkey:

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
Really? You apparently don't have a healthy enough scorn for government stupidity. :D

I'd recommend driving your Toyota for another 100K miles. :monkey:
I'll wander as far as my unhealthy enthusiasm will take me...

Keeping the 'runner isn't the worst option, but I will say the idea of getting $4.5k towards one of the new little city cars is very alluring. I would be the straightest guy in SF driving around in my new cube or soul.

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
The Kia Soul is a cool vehicle. I wish the big shots over there in Korea made it a Hyundai not a Kia :(

during the Buffalo Auto show Kia had one there from Korea, it had a 1.6L turbo diesel in it. Too bad they won't sell those here

boxxerace

Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
@ Japanese Gultch
I will be trading in my '87 4runner under this program. If this program did not exist, I would drive it for another 100k miles. It makes me a little sad, because I do consider the gen 1 4runners classics, but though mine started out straight and beautiful, it is now dented, scratched, cracked, and leaky. This is too much money to pass up, and it is better to get the thing off the road.

Diesel Subaru! 40 mpg and AWD / Turbo'ed. Too bad the US version will not include the Swedish spec'ed low speed transfer case. The manual transmission has a very tall 1st gear, if it is even available here any longer. I drive the turbocharged XT model with a manual tranny, FYI

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/sedans/112_0801_subaru_boxer_turbodiesel_first_drive/index.html

boxxerace

Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
@ Japanese Gultch
$10 says that Subaru isn't available until after this stupid program is over.

AND I hope Sub has done some major re-engineering of their head gaskets. :D
Since 05' and up, the head gaskets are great. The other stuff, like the strange and dangerous handling on ice, ultra-un-damp suspension and questionable AC system are a consideration towards Toyota and the like.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
Diesel Subaru! 40 mpg and AWD / Turbo'ed.
I'd love it, but even if it makes it here, the diesel won't be avail in Cali. Sucks. I'd love a diesel. If I could swap one into my runner for less than $3k, that'd be bonerriffic.

The soul and cube are cool, but I live in the middle of a city and have a motorcycle, so if it's just for transportation I'm already covered. I need the vehicle to be able to haul bikes, skis and lumber at a minimum. Getting me up to Tahoe in the snow is pretty important. Accessing trails is a nice-to-have. My current truck does all of that. Maybe I'm talking myself into passing up the rebate, but only for lack of selection.

boxxerace

Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
@ Japanese Gultch
I'd love it, but even if it makes it here, the diesel won't be avail in Cali. Sucks. I'd love a diesel. If I could swap one into my runner for less than $3k, that'd be bonerriffic.

The soul and cube are cool, but I live in the middle of a city and have a motorcycle, so if it's just for transportation I'm already covered. I need the vehicle to be able to haul bikes, and lumber at a minimum. Getting me up to Tahoe in the snow is pretty important. Accessing trails is a nice-to-have. My current truck does all of that. Maybe I'm talking myself into passing up the rebate, but only for lack of selection.
What about restoring your old Toy, it is the ultimate version of recycling? For a while, I was restoring an 88, only with one ton chevy axles and 40" tires, strictly an offroader. Then, I got smart and have recently sold most of the stuff and I am just sticking to bikes and skiing.

Nonetheless, restoring or improving a daily driver should be pretty affordable. Straight Fenders can be had for $50 and lots of other parts on various offroad forums / craigslist. Toyota motors are not all that expensive, and heck, you can swap some late Tundra motor into your rig if you want both fuel economy and power. There are even old imported diesels, but then I know California is a total pain in the neck with swaps.

check out www.yotatech.com. Let me know if your interested in an 88 body with a full 2" HREW cage and rock sliders ;) :D

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
What about restoring your old Toy, it is the ultimate version of recycling?
Been down that road, and I unfortunately don't have the garage space I used to. Besides:
* I'm getting rust spots coming through the paint at all wheelwells
* I've got oil leaking from the front crank seal (MAY be able to repair myself) and probably from the rear main seal (can't drop tranny myself)
* I've got a cracked windshield
* I've got dented front fender (easy replacement, less easy to paint) and a dented rear corner (can't replace, can't do bodywork myself)
* Tires are due for replacement
* Downey springs are sagging after only 2 years
* Rancho 9000 shafts are rusted and I'm not sure I can cash in the lifetime warranty since I'm not the original purchaser.

I'd love to do a 3rze swap, but is it really worth it when the body is starting to rust?

It would make a great off-roader for someone, and if I could buy this exact truck new from the factory (or even 5 years old), I would. But it's not worth pumping $1500-$2000 into a truck worth $2000 (let alone $3k plus for a swap) when I can get $4500 for it from the gubmint.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
If it's a 22R(e) then the front seal is very easy to do. It goes out about every 100k but I've seen them go as long as 130k. It's easiest to do the belts and hoses at the same time. Less than $50 in parts and takes about 2 hours total. The dealer can even do it for $120 if you are lazy like me :D

I would say it's worth trying to haggle the trade, though. Rust on those is bad and the back isn't easy to fix (I've tried).

Mike B.

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2001
State College, PA
Canada's version of cash for clunkers seems to work a little different:

Retire Your Ride Offers Incentives to Bike
from Bicycle Retailer & Industry News
TORONTO (BRAIN)&#8212;Retire Your Ride, Canada&#8217;s National Vehicle Recycling Program, announced a new initiative this week that gives participants up to $490 off the purchase of a new, high-end commuter bicycle through a national partnership with the Bicycle Trade Association of Canada (BTAC).

&#8220;The goal of Retire Your Ride is not only to improve air quality by reducing the number of older cars on the road, but also to promote the use of sustainable transportation,&#8221; said Fatima Dharsee, executive director of Clean Air Foundation. &#8220;We&#8217;re encouraging Canadians to think about trading in four wheels for two&#8212;an act that will benefit both the environment and their health.&#8221;

In addition to the many other incentives already available across the country such as transit passes, car sharing program discounts and $300 cash, Canadians can now choose a reward of up to 70 per cent off a new, high-end commuter bicycle from participating BTAC retailers. The incentive is national with a number of retailers taking part in each province. Participating bicycle manufacturers include Specialized, Norco, Marin, Devinci, Opus (OGC), Rocky Mountain (Procycle) and Jamis (RB Inc.).

&#8220;Bicycles can make an important contribution to the health and well-being of Canadians,&#8221; said Janet O&#8217;Connell, executive director of the Bicycle Trade Association of Canada. &#8220;By partnering with Retire Your Ride, we are reminding Canadians that bicycles are also an important contributor to the health and well-being of the environment, and a key element of sustainable transportation.&#8221;

Retire Your Ride is a national program designed to retire 1995 model year or older vehicles in an environmentally responsible manner, in an effort to improve air quality and encourage the use of sustainable transportation. The Retire Your Ride program is delivered nationally by Clean Air Foundation, funded by the Government of Canada and supported by a network of experienced regional delivery agents across the country, as well as a national network of automotive recyclers.

In the last few months, Retire Your Ride has already permanently retired more than 7,600 vehicles. The Government of Canada has committed $92 million over four years to the Retire Your Ride program to help Canadians recycle their older, higher polluting vehicles and make sustainable transportation choices, leading to reduced air pollution and greenhouse gas emissions.

For more information, visit www.retireyourride.ca.

ridiculous

Turbo Monkey
Jan 18, 2005
MD / NoVA
I think the program was a great idea. Seems like the qualification requirements could have been a bit more strict though, maybe next wave.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
cash for clunkers is so dumb that 250,000 people took advantage of it, thus using up its allotted funds in a snap.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/31/business/31clunkers.html?hp
It's not a shock, really.

Dumb government program seeks to give away nearly $5000 to people who made poor vehicle purchase decisions and now have worthless pieces of $hit sitting in their driveway... and people are LINING UP to wallow at the trough.

Makes sense to me.

:disgust1:

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
they are looking for more money to continue the program, most articles are purporting.
plus most manufacturers are giving the consumer money on top of the $4500, like Chrysler who is doubling the amount to $9000.

Greyhound

Trail Rat
Jul 8, 2002
Alamance County, NC
It's not a shock, really.

Dumb government program seeks to give away nearly $5000 to people who made poor vehicle purchase decisions and now have worthless pieces of $hit sitting in their driveway... and people are LINING UP to wallow at the trough.

Makes sense to me.

:disgust1:
I'm not sure I follow what you're saying. A family buys a Suburban in 1990-when gas prices were just over a dollar, and that's somehow a poor vehicle purchase decision? :think: