Quantcast

Custom ti frame build has begun.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
How much travel is that bike? We used to build a pivotless rocker link bike that had 60mm but we used a trek fuel (before trek did) style rocker to eliminate the dropout pivot. That bike will flex at the dropout.

Just curious.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
Standard travel is 1.7 on these... but the unique part about this one is that the shock will have a longer stroke and the stays will be preloaded... extending travel by a bit more than half inch. I'll probably run it super firm... let the ti soak up the vibrations and the shock deal with only the big stuff. The goal is to make a really fast, light, hard tail feeling bike that will eat the big bumps.

Have no idea what the hell I'm doing up... it's 1:30 and I rode with some super fit elite cross guys tonight... I feel beat, but eyes wont stay shut.

lovebunny

can i lick your balls?
Dec 14, 2003
San Diego, California, United States
I disagree....besides, sloping downward is essentially the same as arching upward. the shortest distance between two points is a straight line. If you used a straight tube from the headtube/toptube junction to the seattube/toptube junction, your standover would be improved. On the contrary, using a curved toptube that arches down allows you greater standover for the same given geometry (read: functionally advantageous).
View attachment 109180
shut up

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Sorry guys been on vacation so haven't been on the computer at all... Bike turned out real nice. Only kink on the build up... noticed a small bit of play in one of the swing links. Turned out to have been machined with some extra material at the contact point... Extra material removed... Problem solved.

Looks to have been built to spec. Just a hair over 23lbs without pedals. Will report on ride when I get a chance to put a few dozen miles on it.

Note: I'll trim that cable after I pick up a new barb. Also... Rear brake cable routing is funky. Shock needs to be removed inorder to route cable without detaching brake hose... Suckage.

Last edited:

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Looks to have been built to spec. Just a hair over 23lbs without pedals. Will report on ride when I get a chance to put a few dozen miles on it.

Note: I'll trim that cable after I pick up a new barb. Also... Rear brake cable routing is funky. Shock needs to be removed inorder to route cable without detaching brake hose... Suckage.

I am interested in seeing a close up of the rear dropout.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
I am interested in seeing a close up of the rear dropout.
Looks like an off the shelf "breezer" to me

DR0001.jpg

If you remove the linkage, do the seatstays spring into a straighter line? Curious if they are preloaded since the dropout has no pivot and is obviously gusseted so it won't move.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Looks like an off the shelf "breezer" to me

View attachment 109297

If you remove the linkage, do the seatstays spring into a straighter line? Curious if they are preloaded since the dropout has no pivot and is obviously gusseted so it won't move.
I thought it was standard practice to build a pivotless frame at 50% travel. That way it will never see strain more than 50% of travel whether topped or bottomed out.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
I thought it was standard practice to build a pivotless frame at 50% travel. That way it will never see strain more than 50% of travel whether topped or bottomed out.
When the shock bolt is removed the seat stays look about the same... But the chainstays spring up about an an inch... Makes for an interesting time putting the shock bolt back in place.

I don't think it is preloaded to 50% though... More like 20%.

I'll post more photos later... They dropouts are indeed breezer style, like BYO posted, but the hanger is replaceable.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Put quite a few miles on the bike today. Rides well, very racy... Fast handling, fast climbing, accelerates quickly, very sharp feeling. I had a pretty fat tire of the rear... Got a buzz a couple of times in a hard rocky corner... Have dropped down to a 2.0... Lots of clearance now.

Here are a few more photos:

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
the rear derr cable routing on the top tube isn't too aesthetically pleasing but overall the bike looks fast. Hope you enjoy it and it lasts a lifetime

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
the rear derr cable routing on the top tube isn't too aesthetically pleasing but overall the bike looks fast. Hope you enjoy it and it lasts a lifetime
There are a few small complaints I have with the frame design. That is one of them. I also wish it had more tire clearance in the chain stay/BB area, its too tight for comfort on 2.2+. The other thing is that there is very little clearance between chain and the top of the chain stay when shifted to 32/11... it clears, but it's stupidly tight... if the stays had either a slight bend near the dropout or had been welded just a hair lower they could have doubled the clearance in that area.

The bike is a rocketship though and I now that I have it dialed in I'm very happy with the ride... so I'm trying not to focus on the small negatives.