Quantcast

F*** Diet Soda! (a rant)

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
I usually have a hard time taking anything on that website seriously, but I checked out the related links and this is ridiculous. I don't have as much of a problem with putting those chemicals in the milk, but to do so without informing the consumer about it on the label is just wrong. Apparently the current definition of 'milk' means no artificial sweeteners, and they are trying to redefine it to include them.

Same here. Recently my girlfriend even started making it herself on occasion, then we know exactly what is in it.
So, I'm actually having a hard time figuring out the extent of the labeling here. From reading the specific request it sounds like they want to add artificial sweeteners without labeling it as "lite" or "diet" due to the fact that kids are probably less likely to want to drink "Diet Chocolate Milk!" I'm assuming that like any food product it'd have to be listed on the "ingredients" portion?

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
If I read it correctly they want to redfine the term milk to encompass the milk plus all the other junk they want to add. Meaning the ingredients could still say just "100% milk".

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
The aspartame is just for flavoured milk though isn't it? I'm sure if you look at the ingredients and see that there is no sugar in it you'll be able to work it out.

If it is going in normal milk that is all sorts of messed up.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Dairy will be further corrupted. Monsanto has always gotten their way with the revolving door. My aunt used nutrasweet. She also died of brain tumor - hey what do you know, that was one of the concerns with it...

Last edited:

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
If I read it correctly they want to redfine the term milk to encompass the milk plus all the other junk they want to add. Meaning the ingredients could still say just "100% milk".
The ingredients on milk are already listed. My skim milk contains: Nonfat milk, Vitamin A Palmitate and Vitamin D3 added. My fat-free half and half contains:

Skim milk
Corn Syrup
Cream*
Contains less than 0.5% of the following:
Carrageenan
Sodium Citrate
Dipotassium phosphate
mono and diglycerides*
VItamin A palmitate
Color added
*adds a trivial amount of fat

I'm guessing that the milk companies just want to be able to say "milk" on the front and then rely on customers to read the ingredients?

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
Milk has been replaced by Almond milk in my house. Soda is non existent too, sometimes I'll drink 'fancy' soda with real sugar - like Mexican Coke or Jarrito sodas. Typically we will cut 3/4 glass of fizzy water with some good juice. It's hard to find fruit juice that's just fruit juice these days. A lot of bottled juice at the stores are filled with HFCS and other nasty crap, you really have to read labels if your going to control what goes in.

As for diet soda - My body rejects it. There is no rewarding flavor or taste nor does it sit well in my gut. Same with HFCS, when I eat a large quantity of HFCS - say gummy snacks or whatever, I can feel the bomb in my belly and it aches for hours!