Quantcast

Got arrested last night.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Sucks, mack. As others have said, you were an idiot for being in a vehicle on holloween night with ANYTHING in your car. Period. You don't go out on high-risk nights with something illegal in your vehicle.

But... I know you're just looking for advice here, and you know, a gram of a fairly benign substance makes me want to just shake my head that the court system is being held up for it. Anyway, that's for another thread.

I've had a few buddies arrested. They've had clean records, showed up to the court hearings dressed respectably, hired lawyers, and now they have no record to show for it. They did their community service, paid their fines, and their records were sealed. Don't be stupid (i.e. be respectful, dress well and don't smoke at all from now until the hearing, and get a lawyer if you can even think about paying for it) and there's a very good chance that's what will happen to you.

Good luck.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
i nominate llkoolkeg for "voice of logic of the day".

just a little aside to those of you who are hardline against drugs and are also mountain bikers: ever see the pictures of the guys who invented mountain biking? They were VW bus driving, bong totin' hippies. Certified Grade A Potheads. Pot, kettle, black my friends.

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
just a little aside to those of you who are hardline against drugs and are also mountain bikers: ever see the pictures of the guys who invented mountain biking? They were VW bus driving, bong totin' hippies. Certified Grade A Potheads. Pot, kettle, black my friends.

So, that doesn't mean we are.

vtjim

Beware of Milo & Otis
Jan 6, 2006
North Andover MA

Honestly I don't think "most" people on this thread seem hardline against drugs, just getting caught with them.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
<snip>

I'm not hardline against pot. Fact remains that it's an *ILLEGAL* drug and nobody who's into it should be shocked and dismayed if they get busted for it.

Until it's legal, I'd recommend staying away from it.

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
I imagine that I'm on more than a couple RM herbybust "death pool" lists and having been there myself as a punk just out of high school, I feel bad for the kid even though I argued with him when he used to hang here.

Nice to see such compassion for a young fellow's tribulations from people who assuredly live sainted lives themselves. Very kind of you to notice the speck(1 measly gram of weed) in Mack's eye while forgetting the plank in your own. How many of you pissants taking glee in his misfortune regularly suck down alcohol, limbaugh oxycontins or *prescription drugs, i.e 'mother's little helper'*, tobacco, etc. or break misdemeanor laws. :rolleyes:

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
1. The driver is responsible for anything the passengers possess or do.
2. Allowing your passengers to shoot paintball guns on Halloween was probably unwise.
3. A scale? Bad idea. I was told a big bag of MJ is better than 10 smaller bags, because of the intent to distribute.

You might be able to beat it, but plan on spending time and $$$ on your lawyer...

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
1. The driver is responsible for anything the passengers possess or do.
2. Allowing your passengers to shoot paintball guns on Halloween was probably unwise.
3. A scale? Bad idea. I was told a big bag of MJ is better than 10 smaller bags, because of the intent to distribute.

You might be able to beat it, but plan on spending time and $$$ on your lawyer...
#2 - he was the victim of getting hit and his friend in a separate car had the paintball gun.

The reading comprehension around here is amazing...

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
I imagine that I'm on more than a couple RM herbybust "death pool" lists and having been there myself as a punk just out of high school, I feel bad for the kid even though I argued with him when he used to hang here.

Nice to see such compassion for a young fellow's tribulations from people who assuredly live sainted lives themselves. Very kind of you to notice the speck(1 measly gram of weed) in Mack's eye while forgetting the plank in your own. How many of you pissants taking glee in his misfortune regularly suck down alcohol, limbaugh oxycontins or *prescription drugs, i.e 'mother's little helper'*, tobacco, etc. or break misdemeanor laws. :rolleyes:
I could give a rat's ass that he got busted for possession, speeding or kidnapping the neighbor's dog and dressing it up like a girl and whispering sweet nothings in its ear. I do think it funny (and deserving of ridicule) for whining about "illegal" search and playing the "victim" instead of taking responsibility for his screw up.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN

I for one, do all of those things plus some. Does that mean I cant ridicule?

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
I could give a rat's ass that he got busted for possession, speeding or kidnapping the neighbor's dog and dressing it up like a girl and whispering sweet nothings in its ear. I do think it funny (and deserving of ridicule) for whining about "illegal" search and playing the "victim" instead of taking responsibility for his screw up.
yep

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
:imstupid:

That said this forum either led really boring lives as youth or are in denial. I was arrested several times as a kid for stupid acts but learned from them and moved on.

Mack, you're under 18 and arrested for a minor infraction. Spare yourself the cost of a lawyer, clean up your act before court and show up well groomed and respectful to court. Enjoy picking trash from the median of I-95 for a weekend

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I think the issue is twofold:

1. Accepting responsiblity for your actions.
2. Figuring out how to beat the rap.

Mack really messed up last night, and it is his own fault. Possession and vandalism are serious crimes, and if someone was hurt, this incident would go from debately funny to incredibly tragic.

Neverthless, looking how to beat the rap is certainly legitmate. It is what real criminals do.

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
under the circumstances, i don't feel bad for mack at all.

and here's a little "zen" quote for the day: memory is not always truth.

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA

I'm trying to give him solid advice...talk to a lawyer. Talking about it online is probably going to bring you grief, either emotional or through bad info. There are some recent Supreme court rulings on search and siezure that may be relevant, and I believe one of them may have covered pretextual traffic stops and searching cars.

(lkoolkeg) Your advice is pretty solid and he should take it. The costs are highly variable due to different state laws. You might have to spend about what a DUI costs somewhere in the range of $2000-5000 depending or in some places it's a $75 ticket, it depends on where he lives, and who is charging him, and what the exact circumstances are. TALK TO A LAWYER BEFORE YOUR INITIAL APPEARANCE IF POSSIBLE. So you don't do or say anything stupid, he can also tell you what to expect, fines (probably), community service (possible), jail time (probably not unless you have priors).

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Get a decent lawyer and see if you can argue illegal search. I don't think they can nail you with intent to distribute if you had just a gram of pot, even if you did have a scale (but it varies from state to state).

If you have a decent lawyer who can finagle the cops into illegal search (once again, depends on state law), the county or city may drop the charges to avoid dealing with possible misconduct in the PD. But once again, TALK TO A LAWYER before saying a word to the prosecutors or PD. Consider yourself lucky in that you're a minor...I highly doubt you'll get nailed with a felony, and a misdemeanor will disappear when you turn 18.

A couple years ago myself and a few friends had a graduation party at a kids house (think small, like 8 people). We were sipping champagne in his hot tub when cops busted in. No warrant (they forced entry), and their probable cause ("the neighbors saw us") was too shoddy for the underage drinking charges to hold up in court. The prosecutor agreed to drop all charges as long as we didn't sue the city or file a grievance (the kid who lived in the house was loaded). 'Twas kind of nice, but we were in a better position than you.

Good luck. Yes JBP, sometimes the police do illegal things and they should be nailed to a wall for it.

.:Jeenyus:.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 23, 2004
slc
Wow.

One of my friends got caught with bud and two pieces in his car, and admitted to being baked at the time to the officer.

All he got was an MIP.

And to all you geezers...You would be surprised at the the amount of illegal things (related to bud and alcohol) are in the majority of HS kids' cars nowadays, on a pretty regular basis.

Six cop cars for one gram of weed seems a bit overkill, especially with all the drunk people about (and most likely driving) on Halloween.

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
And to all you geezers...You would be surprised at the the amount of illegal things are in the majority of HS kids' cars nowadays, on a pretty regular basis.
i've got a few cds that were copied for me in my car...

or is that not what you are implying.

vtjim

Beware of Milo & Otis
Jan 6, 2006
North Andover MA
And to all you geezers...You would be surprised at the the amount of illegal things are in the majority of HS kids' cars nowadays, on a pretty regular basis.
Nothing that wasn't in them back when the "geezers" were in school...

Drunk drivers and stoned drivers are equivalent in my book.

For the record, I did lots of stupid stuff when I was a punk kid. Unfortunately, I still have that tendency as a punk geezer. When I was a kid I tended to be lucky. Now I guess I have been continuing to have some luck and have learned to be sneaky and pragmatic.

Whining has never helped anybody...

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Oh yeah...in reference to what LLKK said. I think that denying a search can't be grounds FOR searching. I'm trying to find the SC case...

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.

So? Most of my friends ride. Very few do any sort of drugs, many do not drink. Take your stupid analogy and go away.

Mizzle

Monkey
Nov 11, 2005
Reno and Vegas
In many places now only a ticket is issued.

As far as costs?
Don't know....

Talk to a lawyer.
I guess around three to five grand for his guidance.
He will keep you from being taken advantage from in court, and most likely save you money in the long run.

Being a minor and no record you should get off with little more than a slap on the wrist and a loss of money/time.

As far as legal/illegal search i'd drop it and just work it through the system as fast as possible. Focus on your "good points" and use them to your advantage when yo go to court.

If your lucky the file will be sealed and it won't matter in a couple years.

What does the Parental Unit think?
And
Do you hsve the money for a lawyer?

John

Oh yeah...

Don't get stuck on the question of the legality of the search. This incident is small potatos in everyone's world but yours - lawyer, judge, police. They all have real work to do and they have heard all this before.

Just take the advice offered above to be polite, presentable, and open to negotiation and compromise. With no prior record, you'll come out OK after some amount of hassle.

J

antm

Chimp
Jul 15, 2004
miami, fl
Wow, you guys suck. There are certain situations where it's not cool to pile on or mock someones misfortune, regardless of the popularity (or lack thereof) of the the person in question. Props to the few who can give out good advice. :disgust:

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
Wow, you guys suck. There are certain situations where it's not cool to pile on or mock someones misfortune, regardless of the popularity (or lack thereof) of the the person in question. Props to the few who can give out good advice. :disgust:
Welcome to the internet...