Quantcast

Jesus saves

Sgt Brown

Monkey
Feb 19, 2002
Trabuco Canyon, CA
Originally posted by Damn True

That is the funniest thing I have heard all week.

Glad I wasn't eating when I read it.:rolleyes:

I think he is just reminding me who is REALLY in charge. I sometimes forget and think I control my existance. He's just putting me in my place.
You should change your name.

Maybe to "Damn Lucky"
or "Damn False"
or "Damn Brain Washed"

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Originally posted by Jesus
What did you expect to happen?

Grilled cheese with ketchup!

My dog would choke on that!

P.S. I ain't touching the religious thing.
No kidding. YUK. Grilled cheese and ketsup for a midnight snack. Was the good lord sending a message?:D

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
:thumb: Right on Fluff! I knew this thread was meant to stir the pot and had nothing to do with choking on a sandwhich. There is a fine line but I do not know what it is. On the other hand... I was drawn to the thread because I knew that it would attract attention immediately. Damn True is VERY Jerry Springer!:D

EDIT: I forgot to say that approve of the tactic. I like a lot a of attention too... I just get mine by cross dressing on the Monkey!:D

Originally posted by fluff

Yes this is offensive and deliberately so. Don't even think about pleading ignorance, a post like this helps no one.

DT - I'm glad you're OK dude, and please don't take offense at the next statements.

The religion thing is getting fairly major here on RM, I'm actually up for an adult discussion about it where it's possible and DT is one of the relatively few Christians I have met (and I have met plenty) who can rise far enough above dogma to have an adult discussion.

That said, I think the title of the thread could be seen as provocative and it is only fair and balanced that if others must respect the Christian viewpoint on this site and desist from stupid posts such as Atom's or posts with an overtly sexual content (sex after all is the most natural thing in the world without it we would not be here and discussion of the reasons it's such a taboo subject are surprisingly few and far between but maybe the maturity level round here is too low) then perhaps the pro-christian/jesus saves content could also be toned down?

I'm not a believer, therefore I don't want to see Jesus given credit for everything that happens in the same way that Christians may not want me to fervently credit Allah or Buddha or Zeus with everything.

It goes both ways if you wish your viewpoints respected respect others also.

And immature posts generally detract from your argument guys so grow up (and hopefully the people that is not aimed at are smart enough and mature enough to know it).
:D

Damn True

Monkey Pimp
Sep 10, 2001
Between a rock and a hard place.
a) my intent was not to stir the pot. I was merely relating my experience, my joy at having been blessed with at least another day of life, and how utterly insignificant all the complaining and sniveling that has been going on in the last 48 hrs really is.

b) by comparison, Atoms post was intended to inflame and he was offering nothing other than negativity, something we have had far to much of lately

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
a) my intent was not to stir the pot. I was merely relating my experience, my joy at having been blessed with at least another day of life, and how utterly insignificant all the complaining and sniveling that has been going on in the last 48 hrs really is.
Well then I am very dissapointed.:( I'll have to go see if your WORDS thread stirred anything up. :D

SVEN

Sponsor Whore
Feb 9, 2002
here and there, sometimes
I should sue Ridemonkey for entertaining me so much that I can't make any money.

True: Good story. I especially like the part where you list all the things you've been through in life just like Paul did (that dude went through some stuff! Ultra Hardcore!)

To whoever brought up the whole issue of Seperation of Church and State, if you can give me just one reason why this thread is a breach of that I will give you free lessons on how to dirtjump until you have passed the teacher.

I am almost never offended, but the bottom line is True was being positive, Atom and the rest are being negative.

T

Tenaciousle0

Originally posted by TurnerBoy
Gotta have Ketchup with Grilled Cheese. I guess we agree on that. :)
Ketchup+grilled cheese = gross, but I'm glad to hear you're still with us DT

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Originally posted by SVEN
I should sue Ridemonkey for entertaining me so much that I can't make any money.

True: Good story. I especially like the part where you list all the things you've been through in life just like Paul did (that dude went through some stuff! Ultra Hardcore!)

To whoever brought up the whole issue of Seperation of Church and State, if you can give me just one reason why this thread is a breach of that I will give you free lessons on how to dirtjump until you have passed the teacher.

I am almost never offended, but the bottom line is True was being positive, Atom and the rest are being negative.
:eviltongu Was it a poorly chewed sandwhich and the natural consequences of high risk activaties or devine intervention? You decide. Saving the world or just bad dietary practice? Good thing the camera was handy for such a close call with death.:D

Ugh... that was just rude. If I was smart I'd delete this reply but... BUMP.:p

G

grommet

Originally posted by -BB-
Ok folks... we all get everyone's point. Let's keep it civil in here. this thread is like :

HE POSTED A NON-NICOLAI PRODUCT!!! BAN HIM!!!

DHRacer

The Rev
Oct 8, 2001
this is the political debate forum... so hence I'm sure there are MANY things that can and will be discussed here that dont' necessarily pertain to bikes.

Since True started the thread... and with the title as it was... it was pretty clear as to what the content would be about (primarily)

we're all here to speak our minds and share with each other... it's all good... we may not all agree with what each other says.. but we're certainly entitled to share our thoughts. :D

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
Originally posted by DHRacer
this is the political debate forum... so hence I'm sure there are MANY things that can and will be discussed here that dont' necessarily pertain to bikes.

Since True started the thread... and with the title as it was... it was pretty clear as to what the content would be about (primarily)

we're all here to speak our minds and share with each other... it's all good... we may not all agree with what each other says.. but we're certainly entitled to share our thoughts. :D
Ah... a Cameo appearance by the man himself...
HEY DH!!
WHAZZUP?

Damn True

Monkey Pimp
Sep 10, 2001

Ya know Brad, I was not trying to spark a debate, or stir a pot or even have a discussion at all. I was merely stating that I had just gotten the bejeezus scared out of me and I was thanking God that I survived it.

I nearly deleted the thread alltogether, but then realized I was getting a small level of perverse enjoyment out of watching hateful people jump through their own butt-holes to pitch a fit and declare their outrage at what is really a very benign thing. There was no preaching nor teaching. All I said was that Jesus saves, Jesus loves you, and I love you.

I can't imagine how or why someone might take offense at someone telling them they are loved.

ummbikes

Don't mess with the Santas
Apr 16, 2002
Napavine, Warshington
DT try some green chilis on your grilled cheese, good stuff! I prefer tomato soup over catsup, but heck tomato products are essential to a good grilled cheese experience, so catsup would have to do.

I'm so glad my computer is fixed! I have missed you all.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
what?

am I the only one that likes to dip his grilled cheese in a bit of ketchup?

its good, try it
i wasnt going to reply to this because im staying away from religious posts altogether but..............................

i love ketchup on my grilled cheese and i had to let you know.
also ketchup on mac n cheese is excellent.

im also happy you arent dead. i hope you dont soon forget this experience.

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !

a few points i want to make here...

1.. atom your post was pretty outta line, there are ways and means of putting your point across and shock techniques don t always work the best... sometimes they just show your ignorance

2...DHracer.. yes this IS the political debate forum, but when the thread began, it STARTED IN THE DH FORUM (by DT )... if the thread started its life here (pol debate) then i wouldn't have had anything to say, except maybe 'glad to hear u didn t die!'...back to my original point , i don't wanna, nor should i have to read about your beliefs here (or do it mean there:))... it isn t that hard to understand :)

i m happy to leave it at that, looks like we have a fairly equal number of people who can see both sides of the coin... notice how ALL (myself included) of them were happy to see that DT was OK...

i bid you all a good day

partsbara

oh yeah, and as for the dirt jumping lessons SVEN, thanks i m doin ok on my own... but i d be happy to show you how to take off behind the peak on a 8' nias freight train :P

POINT - this stuff belongs here (political debate), keep the DH forum for bikes... not jesus and love...

Metal

President of FRONJ
Oct 17, 2001
Orange County, CA
Originally posted by TurnerBoy

Sounds to me like YOU saved yourself. You keep your head together and did what it took to survive. If it would have been Jesus, it would have magically floated from your throat and burst into a bright shinny star and flown out your window.

You've got to be joking with everyone......right?
Couldn't have said it better my self.

Originally posted by brock
I read the story twice and can't seem to find the part where Jesus intervened.
I think that Jesus COULD walk in the room, give him the Heimlich, say "Go and choke no more" and then disappear in such a way that ANYONE in attendance would KNOW something just happened...

....and people would STILL disbelieve. The Pharisees did it all the time.

Just because someone thanks Jesus for the gift of life, or being alive, or surviving a potentially disastrous ordeal, doesn't mean that He actually physically saved their butt. Maybe he somehow allowed DT's muscles to somehow relax at the last second, instead of instinctively clenching up, so that he was able to get rid of the food. He has the right to thank Jesus for that if he so chooses.

Ever notice how you can post something on Buddha, or Shiva, or any other religious deity...and not much happens....but post something on JESUS, boy, and now you got controversy? And you can't say 'It's those damn biblethumpers that give Him a bad name" or such. I don't know anyone here who is an actual biblethumper, and simply being devout to their religion isn't grounds for saying someone's a biblethumper, any more than liking to help out at the local animal shelter (as I do) labels one an animal rights activist.

brock

Monkey
Sep 6, 2001
Tacoma, WA
Originally posted by fourgivn1

Just because someone thanks Jesus for the gift of life, or being alive, or surviving a potentially disastrous ordeal, doesn't mean that He actually physically saved their butt. Maybe he somehow allowed DT's muscles to somehow relax at the last second, instead of instinctively clenching up, so that he was able to get rid of the food. He has the right to thank Jesus for that if he so chooses.
I never said that he has no right to thank Jesus. If he had posted a thread titled "I almost choked to death on a grilled cheese sandwich today" and ended his post with "I thank Jesus for guiding me through all of my past experiences where I learned the steps to take when something like this happens", this thread would be really short and not have drawn very much contraversy. DT has a habit of posting these threads that get people fired up. I'm sure he got a good chuckle when he clicked on the Submit New Thread button.

Originally posted by fourgivn1

Ever notice how you can post something on Buddha, or Shiva, or any other religious deity...and not much happens....but post something on JESUS, boy, and now you got controversy? And you can't say 'It's those damn biblethumpers that give Him a bad name" or such. I don't know anyone here who is an actual biblethumper, and simply being devout to their religion isn't grounds for saying someone's a biblethumper, any more than liking to help out at the local animal shelter (as I do) labels one an animal rights activist.
I would have posted the same thing had he inserted any of the above mentioned deities in the the thread title. My only beef with the carte blanche credit people give to the religios deity of their choice for all good things that happen to them. My question is always "where are these guys when people are being raped and murdered?"

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
My only beef with the carte blanche credit people give to the religios deity of their choice for all good things that happen to them. My question is always "where are these guys when people are being raped and murdered?"
Then it's a test of their faith. The funny thing is you can't argue with that viewpoint. You're free to not believe that everything is a test of faith or a literal godsend (and I certainly don't) but you can't argue them down.

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
I'm a little TEA POT... Short and Stout...
Here is my handle...
Here is my spout..

When the pot is Something something something.
Something something something something.

:D

brock

Monkey
Sep 6, 2001
Tacoma, WA
Originally posted by Toshi

Then it's a test of their faith. The funny thing is you can't argue with that viewpoint. You're free to not believe that everything is a test of faith or a literal godsend (and I certainly don't) but you can't argue them down.
I know...thats why I refrained from making that statement in my original post but when I got called out I figured I miight as well explain my beliefs.

Damn True

Monkey Pimp
Sep 10, 2001
Here is the thing. Everything is part of Gods plan. If I had died it would have been for a reason. But I didn't and that was for a reason. We are rarely in a position to immediately see those reasons. But they exist.

Why did my younger sister get a brain tumor? I think it was the event that finally scared her into getting off crytal-meth.

Why didn't I die? I dunno, he has some plan for me that has yet to come to fruition.

I never said that he has no right to thank Jesus. If he had posted a thread titled "I almost choked to death on a grilled cheese sandwich today" and ended his post with "I thank Jesus for guiding me through all of my past experiences where I learned the steps to take when something like this happens", this thread would be really short and not have drawn very much contraversy. DT has a habit of posting these threads that get people fired up. I'm sure he got a good chuckle when he clicked on the Submit New Thread button.
Well, I'm not exactly Mr. Neutral myself. *L* But I get what you said, and you're right, you never said he didn't have a right.

I would have posted the same thing had he inserted any of the above mentioned deities in the the thread title. My only beef with the carte blanche credit people give to the religios deity of their choice for all good things that happen to them. My question is always "where are these guys when people are being raped and murdered?"
Are you asking where the deities are or where we are? I can't speak for others, but I know that I actually DO give God thanks for the tough times I'm going through (yes, even when I go through them....I don't do it 100% of the time because I get upset too, but you get my drift), because I know that they will make me a better person, or show me something I didn't know. I don't just thank God for good things. As far as a religious deity 'not being there' when someone gets raped or killed....well, the best response to that is something Anne Graham Lotz (Billy Graham's daughter) said in response to a man who asked "Where was your God when the WTC was bombed?"

She essentially replied that for years, people in the USA have been telling God to back out of schools, out of our colleges, out of our politics, out of our communities....and He's doing it. Looking at crime rates today as compared to 40 or 50 years ago, I believe (personally) it shows that he's backing out; it is a result of Him finally 'leaving us alone' as a result of our asking Him to. (This of course, is a Christian point of view - the view that everything is a part of His grand plan. Anyone else wouldn't subscribe to that point of view.) His job isn't to save each and everyone, saved or unsaved, from certain death. Sure it would be nice if that were the case, but then again, we'd be even more complacent than we are now, I believe, if that were the case, if we KNEW we had a God that would save us from everything.

As far as God not being there for that nun, she's in heaven. Nuff said. :D

DHRacer

The Rev
Oct 8, 2001
okay... I gotta just say this...

True - I was just backing you up there... wasn't defending all the negative flack you got about this... I think we should be able to thank whom ever we want.. when ever we want...

and Partsbara - even if it started in the DH forum... there is no Monkey rule that says you HAVE to read every thread... I would hope that by looking at the title you would have known what it would probably be about and would have either decided TO or NOT TO read it based on that....

I guess we could look at it this way... you said..."i don't wanna, nor should i have to read about your beliefs here (or do it mean there)" well what's to say that someone else doesn't want to hear what so & so has to say about his or her previous night of partying or about some ride or some hunny or ... whatever.. ya know?

so.. I just don't see the harm as to where it was posted. IN FACT... there are a lot of NON DH threads in that forum.. and even the DH related threads get WAY off track at some point and have nothing to do with DH what so ever...

all I'm saying is what's the big deal? just live and let live... it's all good... variety is what makes the world go round... oh and don't get me wrong.. I totally see where you're coming from.. but at the same time, do you see what I'm trying to say as well? :)

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
I nearly deleted the thread alltogether, but then realized I was getting a small level of perverse enjoyment out of watching hateful people jump through their own butt-holes to pitch a fit and declare their outrage at what is really a very benign thing.
:D :thumb: :D I'm reading, I'm learning... perverse enjoyment rocks! Good show.:p

Honestly though... you placed it in the lounge for just one reason - to get noticed and attract controversy. Posting it here to begin with would not have generated 1/10th the interest. You also need the thank Jehovah for your sharp mind in keen intellect!

Damn True

Monkey Pimp
Sep 10, 2001
Brad,

Sorry, bro. I was a bit spring loaded and mis-read your post. My bad.

Serial Midget,
No, I was not trying to stir contreversy. If anything was done for shock value it was the inclusion of the offending food item photo. That was a bit gross, but I thought it added "flavor" to the post and a bit of humor to a non-humorous subject.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
That was a bit gross, but I thought it added "flavor" to the post and a bit of humor to a non-humorous subject.
I was fine with everything but the ketsup. The combination is sure to cause gas. :dead: I think you should give the green chilis a try as well.

fourgivn1: That was too easy and doesn't count! I basically handed it to you on a platter!:D

fluff

Monkey Turbo
Sep 8, 2001
Feeling the lag
Here is the thing. Everything is part of Gods plan. If I had died it would have been for a reason. But I didn't and that was for a reason. We are rarely in a position to immediately see those reasons. But they exist.

Why did my younger sister get a brain tumor? I think it was the event that finally scared her into getting off crytal-meth.

Why didn't I die? I dunno, he has some plan for me that has yet to come to fruition.
Oh joy, we are all pawns in his game and everything is mapped out for us? Hell, he didn't save you he nearly killed just for his own purposes, you were never going to die anyway he's got a plan for you. Maybe he wants to kill you painfully and slowly to test your faith.

I would feel better about these religious posts if they were presented as opinions or beliefs rather than facts.

And my earlier comment in this thread about a post being offensive and deliberately so was aimed at Atom's 'satan' post, not DT's original.