Quantcast

Little Monkeys

Blown240

Monkey
Nov 19, 2013
Here's my 6 year old on one of our fat bike rides.

and here he is learning the limits of traction on those cheap tires...

He was laughing at this point, or I wouldn't have taken this pic...

skibunny24

Enthusiastic Receiver of Reputation
Jun 16, 2010
Renton, WA
Hey! We are getting Lucas a mountain bike next month for his 8th birthday and are having debates about what he needs. We want to take him to Whistler next year, and he is riding xc at home well. Hubby is looking for disc brakes, full suspension. But what we are finding in a reasonable price range for a 20" bike is front suspension, pull brakes. I also think we should go up a size to 24", but he can't touch the ground with both feet on one yet (I'm sure it'll happen the week after we buy the bike). Opinions?

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
Hey! We are getting Lucas a mountain bike next month for his 8th birthday and are having debates about what he needs. We want to take him to Whistler next year, and he is riding xc at home well. Hubby is looking for disc brakes, full suspension. But what we are finding in a reasonable price range for a 20" bike is front suspension, pull brakes. I also think we should go up a size to 24", but he can't touch the ground with both feet on one yet (I'm sure it'll happen the week after we buy the bike). Opinions?
Check out Spawn Cycles, Lil Shredder, or a specialized Grom Hit FSR, Both my kids (9) have been on the grom hit now for just over 2 seasons. They're still a bit big for them, but they manage and have plenty of fun as well as control on them.

My above pic is my 9 yr old son who is tiny, just turned 9 Aug 31. He's about 50" (estimate, can get actual) and weighs about 55lbs.

The 24" wheels will roll through the braking bumps and chunder much better than a 20" bike, even if its a hair too big. I'd assume whistler would have plenty of rental options, i'd look into that as well.

skibunny24

Jun 16, 2010
Renton, WA
Sweet! Thanks for the tips, I will check out Spawn--haven't heard of them. Something all mountain is definitely more what we are looking for, as we only get up to DH a few times a year, but have XC out our back door. I think we should sneak him into an REI or something and have him sit on the bikes again. I just think he'll outgrow the 20" wayyy too quickly.
Thanks again!

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
Spawn only makes hardtails. I misread that part. The grom FSR is a great bike, but we don't use it much for pedaling it's a hair heavy in stock form.

@Kntr made a lot of mods to his daughters bike to lighten it up significantly, not sure how much she has pedaled hers though. She's still on that bike with 26" wheels last I checked and she can shred.

I wish kids bikes were cheaper and grew with the kids!!

skibunny24

Jun 16, 2010
Renton, WA
Spawn only makes hardtails. I misread that part. The grom FSR is a great bike, but we don't use it much for pedaling it's a hair heavy in stock form.

@Kntr made a lot of mods to his daughters bike to lighten it up significantly, not sure how much she has pedaled hers though. She's still on that bike with 26" wheels last I checked and she can shred.

I wish kids bikes were cheaper and grew with the kids!!
Expandable bikes? I like it!

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Looking through some old pics, I found this of MadDog doing her best Vanna White next to the car she declared would be hers some day.

This was 2 years before I ever even considered owning a Corvette, scary.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi

Actually getting going on the Strider, finally...she's enthusiastic but balance doesn't seem to come naturally. Must be genetic...

(Pic linked from Facebook...can non-friends see this?)

ICEBALL585

Bacontard
Sep 8, 2009
.:585:.
I'm surprised I didn't see any pics of the little monkeys in costumes for Halloween...

Here's my little mini me as a dinosaur.

Also, the wifey wanted to do some family Fall pics. Ahhhhhh... ain't we so cute :D

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
Expandable bikes? I like it!
A little update.

Xander rode Mom's tr450 (size small) at mountain creek a few weeks back at the ESC finale. While he wasn't able to clear the jumps as well, and it was sprung for mom, he said it rolled through the braking bumps much better for him than his 24" wheeled grom hit FSR did.

It was ridiculously huge on him, but I think I am going to either search out a demo XS for him, or do some sort of ultra light franken build on a small framed 26" DH bike.

I think he'll ride the grom hit for another season. Then we'll list it for sale and do a build together over the winter.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Have them start a boy band.
Call it Hanson 2, perhaps.
???
Profit.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Spam time: my wife, Jessica, is now hawking kids books for Usborne. Mariko has a couple of their books from pre-hawking times and they're actually pretty well done.

http://g4245.myubam.com/ <-- please buy wares from her if you are in search of reading materials for your kids, and hate the library or somesuch

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Join the club of buying books from my wife's Usborne store! Actually, the books are quite decent. Mariko likes the book sets, where there's a box that looks like a thick book that contains 9 tiny books. Each tiny book is about an animal: I am a tiger/my home is in the jungle/I eat meat/my baby is called a cub/I roar, etc.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Join the club of buying books from my wife's Usborne store! Actually, the books are quite decent. Mariko likes the book sets, where there's a box that looks like a thick book that contains 9 tiny books. Each tiny book is about an animal: I am a tiger/my home is in the jungle/I eat meat/my baby is called a cub/I roar, etc.

i'll buy it if they have one about chupacabras

cecil

Turbo Monkey
Jun 3, 2008
with the voices in my head
image.jpg
The youngest girl and the boy are mine the middle girl is the neibhor

Top picture is first day of school (kindergarten and second grade)
Bottom pictire same kids same rock 10 years later graduation day.