Quantcast

Massanutten race

dhphoto

Monkey
Jun 1, 2006
Lynchburg VA
I rode the course this past Sunday, a bit washed out in spots, and somewhat muddy. But not bad at all. Compared to the 'Shoe, its a joke. Just like was previously mentioned, only thing you gotta watch is your speed in the last rock garden. Just put the hammer down hold on.

Salami

Turbo Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Waxhaw, NC
Any one know where is DH end point on this map? Trying to figure out where to stay and want to be somewhat close to where the riding will be as I hear the "resorts" are spread pretty far apart.

rrdh

Chimp
Feb 27, 2006
To anyone that has been there: what family related things are there to do? I am thinking of bringing the wife and kids and they need be kept entertained while I ride.
There is a great indoor water park. I am going to take my son to hang and check out the park.

Last year was my first race at mass it was very cool I loved the course. I will be back this for sure.

denjen

Certified Lift Whore
Sep 16, 2001
Richmond VA
Any one know where is DH end point on this map? Trying to figure out where to stay and want to be somewhat close to where the riding will be as I hear the "resorts" are spread pretty far apart.

Call Mass. and tell them you are racing they will give you a discounted price. I think it was like $65 last year. It is usually in the H3 and H4 hotels. Which are right across the street from the course.

mtwhore

Chimp
Jun 20, 2006
Harrisonburg
Lets see some picks. tell us how it went down. Shin gaurds wont cover it? We all know one can ride well in pain. We marry so we have a back up for the morgage, rent, ins, etc. Gary Fisher said " all work and no playy is no fun at all". Its all over in four minutes. They dont call it Massivenuthen for nutn.
Come have a good time. Drink some beer and hound some riders. You could cheer too! If you got pom-poms and a vigina.

Stiff

Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Miss Washington DC
Its Really, really, Really, really, Really rocky!

The top rock garden gets most people's tires, and if you make it through that, then the bottom rock garden will getcha!
Mate, it's not that rocky. There's a small rock garden at the top and a small one at the bottom. If you have it lined up properly you can pin it through these. In between the course is superfast classic singletrack. Overall, the course is below the technical level of a modern world class DH race course but is still fun. More of a Super D-esque course or beginner/sport DH race course I think. It is one of the few races around where an AM bike could be competitive with a DH rig, which is cool I suppose because it can therefore bring in new people to the sport. In any case definitely do what you can to avoid the flats in upper and lower rock gardens.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
OK stiff, you are right, its not THAT rocky, but there are a few rocks on it ;)

And yeah, its not a world class DH course, because then NO ONE around here would be able to ride it! And it definantly does not need a full on DH bike, in fact, I think the guy who won last year did it on a Gary Fisher Cake

wannabeabonedoc

Turbo Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
Wytheville Virginia
That makes me feel better...... Sooo, I guess closer to the time can we get a massanutten roll call thread? I'm looking forward to meeting some monkeys. You guys (in the multi-gendered sense of the word) need to come ride Brush mountain down here in blacksburg. Shuttles galore!!

Also, has anyone else heard about a race in Damascus, VA?
See you all may 12th!

mtwhore

Chimp
Jun 20, 2006
Harrisonburg
I was pondering coming down to the burg next week for dragons back but I would rather partake in a little shuttle action. Wintergreen opens Loggers Alley next week. 15$ takes you to the top as many times as you can stand it.

Jettj45

Monkey
Oct 20, 2005
Butthole of NC
OK stiff, you are right, its not THAT rocky, but there are a few rocks on it ;)

And yeah, its not a world class DH course, because then NO ONE around here would be able to ride it! And it definantly does not need a full on DH bike, in fact, I think the guy who won last year did it on a Gary Fisher Cake

Actually wasn't it a world cup race in 1997(yes I know nothing compariable to today's courses)? I've tried to look for a video of it but have not come across anything. And I'll be there racing expert senior with a couple others from PA, first time mass race.

turnerdhr

Chimp
Jan 12, 2007
MORGANTOWN WV
i seen in an earlier post someone said that you can stay at the resort cheap if you tell them you are racing..are most of you staying in the hotel or just camping...

Aug 6, 2006
Denver, CO
i seen in an earlier post someone said that you can stay at the resort cheap if you tell them you are racing..are most of you staying in the hotel or just camping...
Last year we were allowed to campout on the slopes right at the base of the course. Since it's way up on the slope things were pretty primitive unless you felt like driving. I definitely plan on camping again.

wannabeabonedoc

Turbo Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
Wytheville Virginia
I just found out a really close friend of mine's parents own a place up at massanutten. Negotiations for usage will begin this afternoon around 12:15. If she's game we could cram a bunch of people up in there.

results pending.......
soon after that, I'll be registering for my first race evar!!! horray beginner class....

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
what the heck sk6? i called yesterday as well and was told that they're not opening the resort to riders this year because of demand. spoke with the "bob" dude who's voice is on the answering machine. i guess i'll call back.

oh yeah, i have some pics from last year that were taken at the top rock garden.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
ok..update. i just called back and spoke with bob at the hotel. he says that he has no rooms or specials for the race/racers but that they were renting the condos. i spoke with the reservation lady over there and they have a 2 night minimum on a 1 bedroom that sleeps six for $75 per night. she said that they've changed their timeshare rules and that the hotel IS NOT open this year, only the condos.

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
ok..update. i just called back and spoke with bob at the hotel. he says that he has no rooms or specials for the race/racers but that they were renting the condos. i spoke with the reservation lady over there and they have a 2 night minimum on a 1 bedroom that sleeps six for $75 per night. she said that they've changed their timeshare rules and that the hotel IS NOT open this year, only the condos.

Wild. I swear it is. I called yesterday and set it up. I'm going to call to double check, but they're sending me a confirmation. Hell, I'll call now.