Quantcast

Most overrated bands EVER!

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Would the Beastie Boys be considered overrated? Or are they just universally considered "the suck" now?

Tame Ape

BUY HOPE!!!!!!!
Mar 4, 2003
NYC
narlus said:
_what would the community think_ is probably my favorite...the covers she does of "fate of the human carbine" and "bathysphere" are incredible, and i love the originals too (peter jefferies and smog, respectively, if you've not heard 'em).

her cover of 'satisfaction' could be the best cover version of all time.
I haven't heard the covers album, but my roomie gave me a copy the other day. I'll pop it in tonight.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
the amount of desperation in her voice when she sings the line ''cause you see i'm on losing streak" is crushing. so much more powerful than Mick's take.

89yota

Chimp
Oct 10, 2003
Gosh... I have so many more than five so I'll add in just a few more before I get too annoying.

1. Nickleback. Somebody give the Canadian Jesus a throat lozenge
2. Greenday. Used to be real punk... now they're over commercialized and lame. I heard that they even have another band to play their songs at concerts. And while I'm at it, I'll add any punk band that's played on the radio here. Punk is underground, that's the essence of it, get a clue Good Charlotte, Blink 182, AFI, etc.
3. Metallica. After the black album they became a bunch of whiny bitches. They also keep trying to reinvent themselves to keep riding the wave of 80's power metal that ended in the 80's.
4. Any pop group such as Britney Spears, NSync, Backstreet boys, 98 degrees... It's all crap
5. Most new country bands, apparently all a guy needs for a country song nowadays is a big truck, a sexy tractor, a barbaque stain on a white t-shirt, and a cowboy hat. Where's the good ol' Hank Williams "My bucket's got a hole in it?"
6. Dave Matthews for sure. He totally capitalized on Jam bands and made it cool for rich people to have their own jam band crap to listen to instead of listening to the good stuff like Phish, String Cheese, Grateful Dead. The only reason why guys listen to this whitebread crap is because their girlfriends listen to it.The only reason why guys go to Dave Matthews concerts is so they can get high and fu*k their girlfriends. I know cuz I've done it.

ok, so for some underrated bands.
1. Dredg
2. Taproot
3. Primus
4. First Blood- people need to find this stuff, super good hardcore
5. Oh yeah, and Iron Maiden

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
NIN/Trent Reznor, Tool, Coldplay.

Edit: Throw Bright Eyes/Conor Oberst on that steaming pile.

Can we limit this to bands that people already think are good? People posting pop-punk and Britney Spears...we already know they suck. Move on.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Yeah, saying Britney Spears over and over again is dumb. Its a given had she not been hot and been annointed by the record companies that she would be dancing around a pole in Louisiana somewhere.
Like the man says, move it along...
And Kookkeg, thats the point. Here on the internet, every has an opinion. Whatchugot?
Blue, I used to work in a shop where the owner worshipped NIN. At the time I was in my classic rock stage, and couldnt stand them. Still cant, btw, but then it was even worse. Ugggghhhh...shudder...

mud'n'sweat

Falcon
Feb 12, 2006
blue said:
Edit: Throw Bright Eyes/Conor Oberst on that steaming pile.
Agreed on Oberst. I just don't see the draw. People will argue that he is this generations Dylan. I just can't agree. Oh well, I atleast still enjoy the fact that their are more artist out there that can do it for people like that.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
blue said:
NIN/Trent Reznor
I saw them/him live last week. Amazing. (Also should note I'm not a fanboy. I only knew three or four songs.)

You want an overrated band? The Red Hot Chili Peppers. What a ****ing abortion...

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I just listened to Abbey Road, and it is not my kind of music. But one would have to acknowledge their music greatness. The only problem I have is they are not hard enough for my tastes.

I think Pearl Jam and Green Day are the pits...

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Silver said:
I saw them/him live last week. Amazing.

You want an overrated band? The Red Hot Chili Peppers. What a ****ing abortion...
Great live.

Another abortion, Marilyn Manson. I slept through them opening for NIN awhile back.

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
llkoolkeg said:
These threads make for better trolling than an in-line spinner. I find myself disagreeing wth most everybody and just on the verge of typing a 2-page response before catching myself.
put the blunt down and take a stand!

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Silver said:
I saw them/him live last week. Amazing. (Also should note I'm not a fanboy. I only knew three or four songs.)

Agreed on RHCP. I saw NIN live and was duly unimpressed.

On Oberst...I'm not saying he sucks, but he's not Jesus like some of the hipsters have made him out to be. He's got a few good songs, but, like you said, not an idol. Same goes for Coldplay. They're both rather dull and repetetive.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
SkaredShtles said:
Yeah. But the whole conversation is retarded. Especially about subjective crap like music.

Where is DHGirlie and her RRICA when you need it?
Skared, of course its subjective. Do you expect all of us to come to a conclusion? I can see it now, RM stickers of approval on CDs! If you dont like it, and have nothing to say regarding the topic, roll on.
RRICA?

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
name one band that didn't copy someone else.

and for a Doors song with bass, check out the song Peace Frog. it's all bass....

who rates bands?

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
mud'n'sweat said:
Agreed on Oberst. I just don't see the draw. People will argue that he is this generations Dylan. I just can't agree. Oh well, I atleast still enjoy the fact that their are more artist out there that can do it for people like that.
Bah! I can listen to Conor whine all day long but that's just me.

Conor's Desaparecidos project has been one of the few albums I've bought over the past few years that I honestly think I'll still listen to in 10 or 20 years.

-ska todd

Ian F

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
Philadelphia area
Hmm... :think:

Creed: Hearing that band makes my teeth grind...

311: ditto.

Any band that had Dimebag Darrell in it: I got dragged to a Skid Row concert back in the early 90's and they were the opening band... I fell asleep... litterally. :dead:

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
The Toninator said:
put the blunt down and take a stand!
OK, OK...

Ian F said:
Any band that had Dimebag Darrell in it: I got dragged to a Skid Row concert back in the early 90's and they were the opening band... I fell asleep... litterally.
Ian, please tell me that you do not consider Pantera overrated or sleep-inducing. I could chainsmoke 10 blunts and still be amped when the opening riffs for "Hostile" or "Respect" came through the PA!

Ian F

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
Philadelphia area
llkoolkeg said:
Ian, please tell me that you do not consider Pantera overrated or sleep-inducing. I could chainsmoke 10 blunts and still be amped when the opening riffs for "Hostile" or "Respect" came through the PA!
Sorry bro... I only keep Pantera CD's around for the occasional cases of insomnia... ;)

I totally forgot the name of the band... like I posted earlier... I've been on a classical kick for awhile now... heavy guitar music just isn't doing anything for me anymore... and I cut my teeth playing that stuff...

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
Ian F said:
Sorry bro... I only keep Pantera CD's around for the occasional cases of insomnia... ;)

I totally forgot the name of the band... like I posted earlier... I've been on a classical kick for awhile now... heavy guitar music just isn't doing anything for me anymore... and I cut my teeth playing that stuff...
Might I suggest some Andres Segovia, Jose Feliciano or Julian Bream, then?

The premise of this discussion is flawed.

Individual taste in music changes with time. A lot of music seems lame until you come to understand it. Some music that you like eventually seems stale.

It's inane to write off anything as overrated or underrated in the larger scale. Listen to what you enjoy, and keep an open mind - you may find yourself pleasantly surprised.

(Listening at the moment to Beatles, and not to Dr. Dre...)

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
I'd like to add Stained or however they spell it to the list - Way overrated.

Nickleback - why the hell do radio stations play them so much.

Hell most of the stuff that gets played on Greater Hartford Radio Stations is overrated.

riverside73

Monkey
Nov 29, 2004
This probably goes without saying, but country music in general is overrated. Just thought I would throw that out there.