Quantcast

'Murca! You're doin' it all wrong...

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
The other point. @kidwoo kinda touched on a little while poking fun at the Geometronan'onan'on. Porter despite being the self heralded mesiah of ultimate stability as far as I know has never been forward thinking enough to push BB height boundaries in his search for the holy grail. kinda weird. eh?
Well... not really if you think about it. Not in a world where you believe Equipment > Skillz
Plus. learning to time pedal stokes is hard :'(

He actually did. @Acadian and I were laughing at it years ago when he first started doing this and bike radar got all over his jock. He said something awesome like "we found the limits of lowering the bottom bracket too much. Too low and the responsiveness of the bike in turns suffers"

All while talking about a trail bike with a 52" wheelbase. Because it's the bb height that did that :rofl:

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I'm actually seriously considering trying a G16. I'm sure they're not for everybody, and Porter does kinda come across as a bit arrogant in that interview, but I think that for me personally, on the trails I ride, it could work well. I also might hate it, but in large part I'm tempted to try pushing geometry to a bit of an extreme to see how it goes. Won't know until you try, right?

I'm not crazy tall, at 6' even, but I'm all torso and arms, so a relatively long reach for my height works well for me, and I've got a -2 headset in my Megatrail now, putting it at 63 degrees, which I'm also happy with. I don't really ever ride rolling terrain, it's all fire road climbs and steep descents, and I'm into the super steep seat tube angle they're doing too. As noted, I think the BB could be lower, but that's an easy fix with 26" wheels. And yeah, I do wish the chainstays were shorter, but I guess they're the same length as my DHR, and I'm okay with that (albeit at a shorter wheelbase than the Mojo :rofl:)

It also won't be my only trail bike. I've got a BTR Ranger for days when I don't feel like riding a monster truck. Is the Mojo going to work out for me? Not sure at all. But I'm tempted to find out.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
And I'm concerned about my new bikes wheelbase being 40mm longer than my current one...
(New one will have a 46" wheelbase)
i don't understand...my current trailbike, a 2009 uzzi, has a 45 3/4" wheelbase in its "steep" mode with an unfashionable head angle probably in the 66-67* range...is 46" considered long? i really don't keep up with this stuff...

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
I don't actually know what is considered long these days (Udi? Woo?) I just know it's a good bit longer than my existing bike (which felt long when I got it, but now feels perfect)...

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
I don't actually know what is considered long these days (Udi? Woo?) I just know it's a good bit longer than my existing bike (which felt long when I got it, but now feels perfect)...
How tall are you? I think I did ask already in your thread but forget if you responded.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
@norbar - Before his career as a full time bike-lengthener he designed an upgraded cartridge for the Boxxer/888 that had the compression and rebound both adjusted through a single adjuster.
Thanks. Now I remember the mojo cart. I even wanted one back then for my 888.

@Gary we have one trailbuilder like him here though he never jumps shit but always knows best but Chris at least seems to be better informed and he looks like he smells less.

scottishmark

Turbo Monkey
May 20, 2002
Somewhere dark, cold & wet....
To be fair, you could bottom out my old Avalanche shock in the car park so you're results are questionable ;)

Anyway, Boxxcart was fully awesumz. Mine felt really rough when rebounding depending on where the adjuster was set. Spoke to Mojo about it to be told "yeah they've there's a self-tapping screw in there and you're feeling the oil flowing over it"

The best bit was when it blew up shortly after. Entire bike and myself covered in oil.

What was the question again?

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
To be fair, you could bottom out my old Avalanche shock in the car park so you're results are questionable
Yeah but to bottom out your shock I had to actually get on your bike. not just stand next to it and push down. ;)

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
5' 8", but wit a 32" inseam (long legs, short torso)
Ooh, now that makes it a tough call (it really is important to mention this when you're asking these questions - for future reference).

Have you already bought the bike? If not I'd at least try to ride a few bikes with similar sizing before deciding, but I'd be inclined to say you should size down here - as long as the next size down is pretty close to your old bike in sizing. Be mindful of head angle and chainstay length differences too - a slacker head angle and a longer chainstay can both make the wheelbase longer without affecting the static physical fit of the bike.

If the mfg provides a size chart in relation to height I'd consult their recommendation and use that as a reference point too.

If you want a more specific recommendation, post the geo chart for the old bike and new bike, along with any sizing guidelines for the new one and I can try make a more accurate suggestion. Maybe in another thread so we don't hijack this one of Gary wanting Chris Porter's autograph and phone number... :)

Last edited:

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
Yeah, I have always had this problem. If the reach is correct on a small, I am running WAY too much seatpost to compensate for a small frame. I have pre ordered the bike (done deal), so that's why all the pre-speculation.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Anyway, Boxxcart was fully awesumz. Mine felt really rough when rebounding depending on where the adjuster was set. Spoke to Mojo about it to be told "yeah they've there's a self-tapping screw in there and you're feeling the oil flowing over it"
I had one of those Mojo Boxxer cartridges which i bought after reading the unbiased reviews from descent-world etc. What an absolute piece of garbage. Both compression and rebound were adjusted with the same friggen dial, meaning you couldn't get any front end support without treacle-slow rebound. I sent it back once to get revalved so the rebound was faster and it was still barely rideable. Complaining about the damping rates got me a response along the lines of "oh you'll adapt to it".

Deadset stupidest idea ever.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
I had one of those Mojo Boxxer cartridges which i bought after reading the unbiased reviews from descent-world etc. What an absolute piece of garbage. Both compression and rebound were adjusted with the same friggen dial, meaning you couldn't get any front end support without treacle-slow rebound. I sent it back once to get revalved so the rebound was faster and it was still barely rideable. Complaining about the damping rates got me a response along the lines of "oh you'll adapt to it".

RST had a cartridge like that back in the 90s, in their "long travel" forks (~130mm). I wonder if that's what got Porter some inspiration.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Yeah, I have always had this problem. If the reach is correct on a small, I am running WAY too much seatpost to compensate for a small frame. I have pre ordered the bike (done deal), so that's why all the pre-speculation.
May as well rock 'er and see then.
What's the CS/HA/WB on the new and old, if you have em handy? Mightn't be too bad.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK

Come on, that's what all MTBers want, one lever for everything. Fox knows this and gives us CTD.

I might have to report you to
overlord.jpg

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
It's definitely going to be a bit big for you.
But I think you probably made the right choice, the small would have felt smaller than your current bike and it's easier to get used to a bike too big than too small. I think after a month of riding you'll probably be stoked, and if it still feels a bit big you could explore the -5mm reach headsets by Works and/or maybe a shorter stem.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
it's Friday... and he's back.

Who's up for another game of Bullshit Bingo?

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
a.) everyone got faster every run, weights or not, except chris
b.) chris was slowest overall and just sucks
c.) they should all be throatpunched for participating

i can't believe i made it most of the way through that..

Last edited:

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
B b b b but... Chris. and I quote "has spent more time experimenting with bike set up and suspension set up in particular than anyone else on the PLANET"

All these years I've been weighting my chassis with my body weight through my pedals and bars when I could have just poured concrete down my seat tube and had a magic carpet ride over every rockgarden.

Last edited:

aaronjb

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2010
Welp. Just, welp.

Edit: Should there also be some of the anti-vibration stickers on that bike?

Last edited:

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
Welp. Just, welp.

Edit: Should there also be some of the anti-vibration stickers on that bike?
What I can't wrap my head around is that it's an admittance that "hey we're not that great at tuning suspension....".

Bikes are light and a rider makes up the lion's share of mass on a bike. When a bike becomes unweighted the suspension is now operating under very different parameters. This could result in less control, but as someone else pointed out that's kind of the point of sag and tuning the top stroke of your suspension.

I have no doubt the weights could improve performance, but it's pretty comedic that this solution is being pushed by a suspension guru.....

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
What I can't wrap my head around is that it's an admittance that "hey we're not that great at tuning suspension....".

Bikes are light and a rider makes up the lion's share of mass on a bike. When a bike becomes unweighted the suspension is now operating under very different parameters. This could result in less control, but as someone else pointed out that's kind of the point of sag and tuning the top stroke of your suspension.

I have no doubt the weights could improve performance, but it's pretty comedic that this solution is being pushed by a suspension guru.....

We set your shit up far too stiff and with far too little compliance so here's some help ramming through the stroke. :rofl:

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Porter's a blowhard, but his bike's working pretty well for me (albeit in a smaller size than he says I should ride and with strong size wheels).