Quantcast

My Heckler got jacked this morning.

At this point I have dropped about $6,300 as a result of the theft. Insurance has so far given me $1,875, and there's some more coming since I just sent them receipts for some of the things I have purchased. As it sits, I'm down about $4,400.

There's a bunch of unrecoverable loss; gave a 26" wheelset with studded tires, some spare tires, and all my Hayes stuff to LBS just to get it out from underfoot. I still have to purge spare shifters, derailleurs, etc.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
At this point I have dropped about $6,300 as a result of the theft. Insurance has so far given me $1,875, and there's some more coming since I just sent them receipts for some of the things I have purchased. As it sits, I'm down about $4,400.

There's a bunch of unrecoverable loss; gave a 26" wheelset with studded tires, some spare tires, and all my Hayes stuff to LBS just to get it out from underfoot. I still have to purge spare shifters, derailleurs, etc.
Plan on spending a few hundred moar on shimz.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

i'll take your 26" stuff

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I know it's real bro to dump on HFX and related brakes, but they served me very well for years.
the difference between an HFX9 and a XT785 brake is like the difference between a 76 pacer and a prius. They both work.... I had mags on a recent DH bike. The newer brakes are worlds better in performance and more reliable.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
the difference between an HFX9 and a XT785 brake is like the difference between a 76 pacer and a prius. They both work.... I had mags on a recent DH bike. The newer brakes are worlds better in performance and more reliable.
the one thing i will give that old hayes stuff is that it worked for a looooooooooong time. i'd see those things go 5 years without a bleed and still work fine (fine being subjective for a disc brake from the early 2000's)

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Brakes are for pussies. JBP didn't get this far for being a pussy.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
the one thing i will give that old hayes stuff is that it worked for a looooooooooong time. i'd see those things go 5 years without a bleed and still work fine (fine being subjective for a disc brake from the early 2000's)
yes, there are plenty of hayes mags out there still working mediocre since day 1. I haven't bled my XTs since I cut the hoses in 2011 when I bought them, and they're still more reliable and powerful than any set of mags I've owned.

JBP has gotten way more mileage out of his stuff than I have, and will continue to, but good brakes are one of the best upgrades you can make.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
yes, there are plenty of hayes mags out there still working mediocre since day 1. I haven't bled my XTs since I cut the hoses in 2011 when I bought them, and they're still more reliable and powerful than any set of mags I've owned.

JBP has gotten way more mileage out of his stuff than I have, and will continue to, but good brakes are one of the best upgrades you can make.
comparing brakes from then to brakes from now ...

comparing the hayes to what else was on the market at the time they were released is the point i'm getting at.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
comparing brakes from then to brakes from now ...

comparing the hayes to what else was on the market at the time they were released is the point i'm getting at.
so...the market for brakes from then right now is....probably pretty slim considering the affordability of GOOD brakes?

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Faster you go... less the chance of the OTB. At least in my experience. Moar speed, pull up.
The whole "pulling up" thing is a pedantic physics pet peeve of mine. It is like telling someone to jump by bending their knees real quick. This will do the exact fucking opposite of what you intend to do. Push on your fucking bars you imbecile, the act of stopping this push, or the deceleration of the up/back motion cause by said push is what gets your bike over shit.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
The whole "pulling up" thing is a pedantic physics pet peeve of mine. It is like telling someone to jump by bending their knees real quick. This will do the exact fucking opposite of what you intend to do. Push on your fucking bars you imbecile, the act of stopping this push, or the deceleration of the up/back motion cause by said push is what gets your bike over shit.
Heh - must be tough going through life like this. ;)

But yeah - what you said.

It just won't fit on a bumper sticker very well.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Faster you go... less the chance of the OTB. At least in my experience. Moar speed, pull up.
Not quite the point. If you are
Also known as suspension loading.

Speaking of handling. When I broke my collar bone and was still determined to ride, I could not pull up on the bars. I learned that I could still pop off a curb just by shifting my weight. This lead me to believe that the majority of bike handling comes from the pelvis and your hands actually have little to do with it.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Not quite the point. If you are

Also known as suspension loading.

Speaking of handling. When I broke my collar bone and was still determined to ride, I could not pull up on the bars. I learned that I could still pop off a curb just by shifting my weight. This lead me to believe that the majority of bike handling comes from the pelvis and your hands actually have little to do with it.
Even works without suspension. Actually the backwards motion works better than any upwards motions as there is a larger range of motion, basically backing that ass up, then stopping. You don't necessarily need to lift the front end as much as you need to apply a moment to the bike, same effect as a pedal kick.