Quantcast

New "trail bike" for 2016 thread

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Yeah. It also probably helps that up here in the PNW I'm not riding a lot of really rocky shit.

I also only weigh like 150lbs, which has to help.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Kinda funny, I was just looking at the 140mm one when you put that pic up. Looks fun.
I really like it. it wont chew through terrain like the bigger ones but if you live on the flats or want a bike to ride on the trails where a bigger bike is boring this is a great choice. I took it everywhere. Dirt jumps, 4x tracks, xc tracks, long trips and those new flowy trailcenters.

Imho it reminds me a bit of the specialized pitch but obviously a bit more refined.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I really like it. it wont chew through terrain like the bigger ones but if you live on the flats or want a bike to ride on the trails where a bigger bike is boring this is a great choice. I took it everywhere. Dirt jumps, 4x tracks, xc tracks, long trips and those new flowy trailcenters.

Imho it reminds me a bit of the specialized pitch but obviously a bit more refined.
What is it?

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
You've been on a 29er for the last two years? What is the world coming to?

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
What is it?
Snabb T2. It's a really nice bike. I know the guy who does the painjob design on them so I'm a bit biased but I really like though there are a few areas that need polishing. I also really like that it pedals much better than Spesh bikes. Got coned into doing some idiotic XC training circuit trail with friends and I was really happy the bike didn't pedal like shit.

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria

What's under refined at the Pitch in your eyes? Beside being an obviously unridabru tiny wheeler.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
What's under refined at the Pitch in your eyes? Beside being an obviously unridabru tiny wheeler.
Nothing really. It's a great bike. That is why compared it to it. By refined I mean it is probably lighter (can't find frame weight) and pedals a bit better + it has newer components and yes not tiny wheels so you can buy tires quickly and not have to order them and wait. I really liked the pitch, this feels similar but better. Since that was a long time ago I can't be sure how much of it was due to components and how much due to the frame. I'd have to look in linkage at the leverage curve but overall this is what would happen if you made the pitch pedal better, compatible with new standards, probably lighter and a bit better looking so if you liked the pitch you will like this.

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
Kinda funny, I was just looking at the 140mm one when you put that pic up. Looks fun.

I kill aluminum ones faster.

I broke one and while I was waiting on a replacement, I built up a wtb 23mm frequency. Literally the fist descent on the first ride, I ripped a tire and flatspotted the wheel. Straight gauge spokes etc....

They're worth it just for what I save in replacing tires. Still not a single flat in 2 years.
I was super surprised by the enve m60's I got for practically free with my bike. I for sure thought i would blow one of them up, seeing as how they aren't the 70's or HV, made out of plastic, and I haven't been on a bike in years and still ride like I'm on a dh bike. I don't have a single crack, hop and my spoke tension is stiffer than a 12 year old looking at the Victorias secret catalog. Zero flast running low pressure, accidentally did a 14 mile ride with 8 miles of DH through lots of rocks with my slaughter at 12 psi and my front around 18

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Careful doing that. You will crack a sidewall.

The one I had that just broke on me was kind of weird. It was in a g-out. I didn't even hit anything really. The weave came apart. Almost like the increased tire pressure expanded it.

That was an old AM one though. Haven't killed a newer m-series.

But yeah the spoke tension, the ability for me to run butted spokes and still get a stiffer wheel which makes the whole thing lighter, the low rotational weight of a light rim, and no flats at all.....I'm a fan. I don't give a shit what anyone says, that's performance-based awesome right there.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Careful doing that. You will crack a sidewall.

The one I had that just broke on me was kind of weird. It was in a g-out. I didn't even hit anything really. The weave came apart. Almost like the increased tire pressure expanded it.

That was an old AM one though. Haven't killed a newer m-series.

But yeah the spoke tension, the ability for me to run butted spokes and still get a stiffer wheel which makes the whole thing lighter, the low rotational weight of a light rim, and no flats at all.....I'm a fan. I don't give a shit what anyone says, that's performance-based awesome right there.
Compressive strength of CF in the 0* direction is something like 1200 MPa. You'd need over 200psi to approach that.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
I'm not even sure what I'm looking at there. Is that a sticker that's peeled up or the first layer of the CF?

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
Nothing really. It's a great bike. That is why compared it to it. By refined I mean it is probably lighter (can't find frame weight) and pedals a bit better + it has newer components and yes not tiny wheels so you can buy tires quickly and not have to order them and wait. I really liked the pitch, this feels similar but better. Since that was a long time ago I can't be sure how much of it was due to components and how much due to the frame. I'd have to look in linkage at the leverage curve but overall this is what would happen if you made the pitch pedal better, compatible with new standards, probably lighter and a bit better looking so if you liked the pitch you will like this.
I did a q&d linkage plot of the Snabb, pretty different to the Pitch. Progressive leverage curve with a little less of it in the final 10-15 mm of the travel. Good for a coil and new gen air can, not so for a small traditional air can with lots of progression itself. It's also has a slightly shorter wheelbase.

I'll stay with my tiny wheels ;-)

Attachments

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
I did a q&d linkage plot of the Snabb, pretty different to the Pitch. Progressive leverage curve with a little less of it in the final 10-15 mm of the travel. Good for a coil and new gen air can, not so for a small traditional air can with lots of progression itself. It's also has a slightly shorter wheelbase.

I'll stay with my tiny wheels ;-)
I'm on a mac so I can't compare in linkage. I assume the difference in shocks (old on pitch new design on the snabb) makes them a bit similar. I'm not saying they are the same bike. They are just both in the right spot between agility and fast speed stability. I also rode a pitch not so long before the snabb. The Snabb felt like it fixed a few things that annoyed me on the Pitch (shittier pedaling, sitting a bit lower in travel) while still staying playful which is one of the reasons I liked about the Pitch and while I dislike some newer trailbikes which are a bit too plowy for someone who already has a dh bike and wants something different.

To be honest if you like your Pitch there is no reason to change it. A 1x11 setup, a good dropper post, proper susp and the advantages of a new bike will not be huge. I can argue about why many bikes are better from a design standpoint (if I wasn't too lazy to restart in windows and run linkage) but if it's a good bike why bother thinking about it. It's better to spend money on trips. For the price of a new trailbike you can have a few of them.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Tbh the only reason to buy a new bike every season is if you have good deals and can resell them afterwards with close to no money loss. If you are not too lazy for that of course. I am.

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
Tbh the only reason to buy a new bike every season is if you have good deals and can resell them afterwards with close to no money loss. If you are not too lazy for that of course. I am.
Same here. Was on the same ship while working at a shop and had lots of time.

I ride a Pitch since 2009, got a "new" frame replacement in 2012 and still ride it. Switch between a Push equipped RP2 with Corset and a 2014 RC4 regularly. 2009 36 float with new inverted cartridge out front. 1x10 X0/XTR drivetrain. Ticks all the boxes.
Only thing a bit troubling is the straight steerer tube. So I totally agree with you.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
or if you bought something decent to begin with and aren't pansy enough to think that every little tweak/ounce of carbon fiber is going to make you a significantly better/faster rider.

Last edited:

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
or if you bought something decent to begin with and aren't pansy enough to think that every little tweak/ounce of carbon fiber is going to make you a significantly better/faster rider.
Fun fact: when some people see me on my new alum monster, they think it is an old bike before the Mojo HDR because not crabon.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
I did it for a long time but it was just a project, the same way people build up cars even though they are not WRC racers. Probably one of the reasons my DH rig aged so well (well that and the lack of innovation outside of the standards diarrhea).

Though I don't judge. If carbon bits give you confidence then thanks to our funny psychology you might actually become faster. Though now unless I become filthy rich and I have a guy who upgrades my bike with every new part that enters the market for me I won't bother... (I'm sure specialized is already working on that service)

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
I do not own this - but hot damn - i might have to soon. Free of boost and metric shock sizing, so quite appealing to you luddite primates.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Hey norbar, see if you can get a BB height measurement on that snabb if it's not too much trouble.
Damn should have tagged me. I'm having too much fun in the Johnny Ellsworth topic. I did send that bike back but since I live in Poland where NS is quite popular I will try to bug someone riding one to measure it. That is when I come back to the motherland in 3 weeks.

'size

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2007
AZ
here's the new bicycle i use to ride on trails, crash in my backyard and such.

specs:
2016 giant trance 650b frame only - 26" wheels/tires/spokes
2016 pike rct3
wtb i25, revo spokes, hope pro II evo fr, i9 torch rr, butcher control fr, grid rr
hope tech x2 brakes w/180mm rotors and ebc red pads
x9 rr shifter
gx mid cage mech
sram pg1070 cassette, with oneup 42/16 cogs
x9 cranks (170mm) with oneup oval ring and kmc x10sl chain
sram gxp BB
ht ae01 pedals missing random pins
27.2 gravity dropper post with shim (1x3 drop) (10th year in use)
wtb silverado saddle
easton havoc 50mm stem
easton havoc 750mm crabon bars
odi tld grips
shimano bulk housing and cables

possible/upcoming changes:
aluminimum bar before died. wildrock'r 2 front after the butcher wears out. slaughter rear after the butcher wears out. may give another grip a shot after my current 2 sets of tld's are gone.

bonus:
old skool hydraulic line guide i had 'in the bin' from when i ran magura rim brakes on frames without hydro lines (pic 4). using it to route the dropper cable between the linkage and under the BB to avoid cable rub and into the frame along with the rear mech line.
and...(pic 5) is a p-clip screwed into an iscg tab to help route the rear mech line away from the chainring/chain.

album
http://imgur.com/a/WbK9M

zdubyadubya

Turbo Monkey
Apr 13, 2008
Ellicott City, MD
Are we doing a 2017 thread yet? Here is my FY17 steed. Two rides on it now and am very very pleased.

2017 Giant Reign Advanced 1 with Joystick Carbon Bars, Maxxis tires, Industry Nine Rear Hub, and Renthal 40mm stem

Last edited: